Help us create the next big project...

Sapient
High Level DonorRRS CO-FOUNDERRRS Core MemberWebsite Admin
User is offlineOffline
Help us create the next big project...

Comment here instead of youtube, and upload a video to respond to ours if you can.

Sapient
High Level DonorRRS CO-FOUNDERRRS Core MemberWebsite Admin
User is offlineOffline
Rave wrote: Brian? Any RRS

Rave wrote:
Brian? Any RRS cores? It might be nice to give us an update on what you're considering doing, and what you think of the recent suggestions here... Smiling

The next big project is here:

http://www.rationalresponders.com/those_who_accept_evolution_unite_today_important

Help us pwn theism on youtube.

magilum
User is offlineOffline
The_Saint wrote: bdstrohl

The_Saint wrote:
bdstrohl wrote:
How about something simple like a condom drive to send to the people of Africa? We all know abstinance education isnt doing the job to help prevent the spreading of A.I.D.S.

Actually, abstinence programs have enjoyed some success in places where the programs were coupled with education to overcome cultural and tribal superstitions regarding sexually transmitted diseases, which is really the root of the AIDS problem in Africa.

Simply handing out condoms, or telling people to abstain alone do nothing to stem the problem; charity and AIDS activist groups have been distributing condoms in Africa for decades, yet the disease continues to spread because of systemic cultural beliefs such as that wearing condoms makes you less virile, or that having sex with a virgin can cure diseases like AIDS. Even in industrialized nations like the United States, the disease continues to spread despite the easy availability of condoms.

The Saint

I was stuck on a flight from New York to LA between two people having a long chat across me. I wanted to sleep, but they both refused to switch seats with me. As a result, I'm able to deliver this anecdote from one of them, who had been recounting their days in Africa as part of some kind of sex education program. As is pretty common practice here in demonstrating condom use, she had shown the class the mechanics of unrolling one onto a banana. Don't use them if they're damaged, don't reuse them, don't layer them, etc. There you go, class dismissed. Later in her stay, a young woman who'd attended her demonstration appeared to her puzzled and wanting an explanation of how condoms were supposed to work in preventing pregnancy and disease. My chatty travel companion hesitated, getting ready to explain, perhaps, the barrier latex provides or something. The confused young woman continued -- how is it supposed to work? "I placed the banana with the condom on it on my nightstand..."

I'm probably butchering the shit out of the story, but there you go. The mind ravaged by magical thinking. At least she recognized it didn't make any sense.