UPGRADING SITE LATE NIGHT FRIDAY FEB 22nd [updated]

RationalRespons...
RationalResponseSquad's picture
User is offlineOffline
UPGRADING SITE LATE NIGHT FRIDAY FEB 22nd [updated]

Just letting you guys know that every site on the network will be down today for about 3 hours, probably beginning in the late afternoon. The new server should be arriving at the location and up and running by tonight. Yay!

For more info, see this post and this one .

UPDATE FRIDAY FEB 1st 11:48 pm est. RRS site and network sites will go down for several hours starting soon. The final stages of prep are being complete, final tests being run, and we're ready for lift off within an hour or two. All of the data will be transferred to our new home. Some sites around the world will get the site online before others. The whole process may keep your particular area out of the loop for up to a day, but normally isn't longer than several hours.

UPDATE FEB 2nd 5:31 pm est. RRS site and it's sister sites are now at their new home, a new server paid for by Sapient(Lori with assist), and currently being reimbursed by the generous donors of this community. Agent J stayed up all night with Agent X (who must be sleeping at his desk) migrating all of the data over properly after a day worth of work with DNS changes and mail changes that it seemed like everyone was pitching in on. Agent T was chipping in all night as well, and a new agent, M has helped with a ton of css work on the new look for our site. Currently 10 highly trained volunteers are busting their butts making this place run in top shape. From 7am-5pm est you should have seen an increase in speed on our website merely by virtue of being on new technology, new computing strength and actual caching abilities (finally). At 5:15pm est a major upgrade was installed to the site increasing the speed in which content is delivered. We are at phase 1 of at least a ten phase program to increase speed on the site. And this time it should be considerable.

Within a few minutes we will make yet another change that could take the site offline for hours and will result in probably at least a 10% increase in site speed. Look for more changes on the way. I called out a few stand out guys, but really this whole project has been a success due to the collective brainwork of these talented men.

Tarpan
Special Agent
User is offlineOffline
NOOOOOOOOOO!!! THE END IS

NOOOOOOOOOO!!! THE END IS COMING!!! PREPARE YOURSELVES!!!! DEATH TO EARTH!!!!

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
superstitious twaddle or

superstitious twaddle or not, I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

Zombie
RRS local affiliate
Zombie's picture
User is offlineOffline
Well, its 9pm your time, I

Well, its 9pm your time, I guess it didn`t happen?

Sapient
High Level DonorRRS CO-FOUNDERRRS Core MemberWebsite Admin
User is offlineOffline
The first part of the

The first part of the transition to the new server will be to bring the rrs site over in tact as it is, upgrades will happen soon after.  The server is attached at the server bunker, a brand new high end machine about to make this all happen.

Sapient
User is offlineOffline
UPDATE FRIDAY FEB 1st 11:48

UPDATE FRIDAY FEB 1st 11:48 pm est.  RRS site and network sites will go down for several hours starting soon.  The final stages of prep are being complete, final tests being run, and we're ready for lift off within an hour or two.  All of the data will be transferred to our new home.  Some sites around the world will get the site online before others.  The whole process may keep your particular area out of the loop for up to a day, but normally isn't longer than several hours.

shelley
ModeratorRRS local affiliate
shelley's picture
User is offlineOffline
I'm excited!  This is like

I'm excited!  This is like the atheist version of Santa delivering gifts while we sleep.  I'm going to have to wake up at 5AM and rush to the computer. 

Sapient
User is offlineOffline
Server move complete.  We

Server move complete.  We are now on a brand new computer system!!!

Moves coming soon to transfer and upgrade our sites, the first step was simply unloading the U-haul.  

Sadzaeater
Sadzaeater's picture
User is offlineOffline
Looking good. Am working off

Looking good. Am working off a 2 meg DSL line with a seriously crappy contention ratio at the minute, but all the boxes etc are loading in a good deal quicker than they used to. Good job!

Stop that... It's silly.

Sapient
User is offlineOffline
RationalResponseSquad

RationalResponseSquad wrote:

Within a few minutes we will make yet another change that could take the site offline for hours and will result in probably at least a 10% increase in site speed. 

We made that change.  It didn't work out.  It turned off the site to anonymous users.  So we'll instead revisit that idea when we make some other upgrades first. 

The site will not likely go down again today, the team is still monitoring kinks.

dead_again
Special AgentWebsite Admin
dead_again's picture
User is offlineOffline
I have enabled some other

I have enabled some other caching for images to keep from having to send out a bunch of images every time a page loads. We are still working the kinks out of all the sites, so bear with us.

Your god's silence speaks loud and clear

Sapient
User is offlineOffline
I trimmed the crap out of

I trimmed the crap out of the homepage and made many of the blocks optional to logged in users.  Users should check their accounts to see which blocks they want to remove from being displayed on their pages.  This change may be temporary.  "Block removal" may become a core feature for subscribed members when we convert over to the new stuff.

Visit your account here to change your settings: http://www.rationalresponders.com/user  (click the "edit" tab and scroll down)

I ALSO TURNED OFF THE IE/FIREFOX WARNING (probably temporary) TO DECREASE PAGE LOAD TIMES FOR IE USERS!

Sapient
User is offlineOffline
The time has finally come!!

The time has finally come!!

We feel we have enough improvements complete to finally upgrade to the new version of our website.  Things should be better than they are now at the onset.  But when it happens we will very much need you to help "beta" test the site a little for the first few days.  You can use this thread to report isssues and let us know what problems you see or have.

The site upgrade will happen about 10pm est Friday (today) and work will be done all weekend.  We imagine the site will be down for at least an hour or two when we first migrate.

Once the new site is put in place, (yes all content will stay) the site will be faster as soon as we load it up.  After we get situated with all the settings we need, we will put in place several extra features as part of our new code that will increase the speed even further.

Here we go folks, it's finally here... a new legacy about to begin.  Are you excited?  I am friging ecstatic.  

Thanks so much to all of the guys who have been working on the sites recently!