Rational Response Squad Movie Mission Statement/Interview

Sapient
High Level DonorRRS CO-FOUNDERRRS Core MemberWebsite Admin
User is offlineOffline
Rational Response Squad Movie Mission Statement/Interview

Here is an interview I did, when I turned the cameras on our film crew....

Here is the mission statement written by the producer, Josh Austin. Keep in mind, this was written in the preplanning stages, there have been some deviations in the plan since then. Get ready to be moved and excited about this movie...

Rational Responders: The Movie
Mission Statement

This letter’s purpose is to outline and describe the focus and intent of the documentary, tentatively titled “Rational Response: The Struggle to Restore America’s Capacity for Critical Thinking”. This documentary style film will encompass many political and religious topics that are at the forefront of American dialogue.

The main focus of the film is the Rational Response Squad’s mission to fight theism; however this is not the complete extent of the content. This film is not about atheism, it is about the context of American dialogue and the role that religion plays in it. Atheism will be a central theme of the film as all those involved and those that will be featured in the film, on the rational side of course, will be atheists. Our mission is not to promote atheism per se, just the rationality and empirical evidence that inevitably leads to it.

We will not focus solely on Christianity, as some of the most irrational ideas come from other faiths. However, based on the fact that we do not have the resources to travel abroad at this point, the majority of people that appear in the film will be Christians or will be talking about Christianity.

The film will touch on such topics as: abortion, capitol punishment, stem cell research, the teaching or lack of teaching of evolution in public schools, the inerrancy of the Bible, various arguments for why god exists or does not exist, various arguments for morality gained from the bible and religion, immoral statements in the bible and how people pick and choose or reconcile those with their own views, and other sources of morality that are purely secular in nature. As stated before, the film will not necessarily promote atheism, but we will discuss what exactly an atheist is in detail, as well as some of the major misconceptions surrounding atheism. These topics will be covered through interviews with prominent atheists and Christians, off the street interviews, interviews as well as scripted dialogue from various members of the Rational Response Squad, excerpts from some Rational Response Squad radio shows, formal interviews with “average” atheists and theists alike, as well as a discussion with a Pastor. Furthermore, RRS will interview Ellen Johnson, Margaret Downey, Daniel Dennett, Richard Dawkins, Sam Harris, Christopher Hitchens, Brian Flemming, and Edwin Kagin for this movie.

This film will not pull punches, but at the same time it will be fair. We are operating under the Rational Response Squad name, and in order to not tarnish it, as well as remain credible and honest, we will adhere to the highest standards of journalistic integrity. We will make no unsubstantiated claims to back up our points, and all claims made or statistics used will be subject to verification.

If I had to sum up my goal for this movie in one thought, it would be the complete refutation and destruction of all the illogical and irrational ideas that corrupt our thought processes and lead us to make completely unintelligent and ridiculous policies and judgments. I don’t care what the origin or cause, I want to go after all the Christians, all the Muslims, all the Mormons and Jehovah’s witnesses, all the people that enjoy such wonderful exemption from logical scrutiny. The wall of unwarranted admiration and respect has started to come down, through books and web sites, radio shows and articles, but there has been no film made solely to end rational dishonesty. In all reality, we will not be able to accomplish this in one film, or two, or five, or ten thousand for that matter, but we can instill the courage in others to not give up, and give them the intellectual ammunition to refute insanity wherever they may encounter it. There is a certain effect that a film can have on people that no other medium enjoys, and I hope that with the talent we have gathered, we will be able to instill in all free thinkers the pride that one should enjoy as a person who possesses the ability to break free from myths and misconceptions.

Make no mistake, this film will come under serious scrutiny. I, like everyone involved, does not wish to be made the fool by using irrational or false claims. Our cause is unpopular, and if we wish to make any difference at all, our film must stand up to the most demanding inspections, as it will no doubt be subject to such. As members of the Rational Response Squad will most certainly attest to, the positions and ideas that we put forth, while no doubt true, will result in some people wishing us bodily harm or worse. Those that wish to participate in the film but prefer to remain anonymous may do so, and although I personally discourage it, will not be thought any less of.

This project is important for too many reasons to list, and while unpopular, the number of people that agree with us is increasing. All they need now is for someone to come along and show them that atheism need not conjure negative connotations, and that logic, rationality and science can provide meaningful answers and practical solutions for both individuals and our country. I sincerely hope that “someone” can be us.

Sincerely,

Josh Austin

Josh on the street in a rare look at his ability to expose religious beliefs as moronic, he was filming for our movie...

Wonderist
atheist
Wonderist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Sounds fantastic! Good luck

Sounds fantastic! Good luck to the filmmakers on what is undoubtedly a very challenging project. They certainly seem competent and enthusiastic. I can't wait to see it!

Wonderist on Facebook — Support the idea of wonderism by 'liking' the Wonderism page — or join the open Wonderism group to take part in the discussion!

Gnu Atheism Facebook group — All gnu-friendly RRS members welcome (including Luminon!) — Try something gnu!

magilum
User is offlineOffline
Is that a pinoy holding that

Is that a pinoy holding that idiotic sign? Damn you Christianity!!! Yell

Archeopteryx
Superfan
Archeopteryx's picture
User is offlineOffline
  No one in my area holds

No one in my area holds crazy fundy signs like that. =(

In one way, that makes me happy, but in another way, it's like my opportunities to debate aren't as cool or dramatic. *sigh*

Can't wait for the film and congrats on the victory against the guy with the retarded sign.

A place common to all will be maintained by none. A religion common to all is perhaps not much different.

blueocean
Theist
User is offlineOffline
I hope the film will go

I hope the film will go after all religions in one way or another

RickRebel
RickRebel's picture
User is offlineOffline
How do you plan to finance

How do you plan to finance this project? Are you looking for investors?

friendlyskeptic79
friendlyskeptic79's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote: I want to go after

Quote:
I want to go after all the Christians, all the Muslims, all the Mormons and Jehovah’s witnesses, all the people that enjoy such wonderful exemption from logical scrutiny.

Just curious, why is the Jewish religion not mentioned?  Is it b/c it's un PC to criticize it? Is it getting a free pass?

lpetrich
lpetrich's picture
User is offlineOffline
friendlyskeptic79

friendlyskeptic79 wrote:

Just curious, why is the Jewish religion not mentioned? Is it b/c it's un PC to criticize it? Is it getting a free pass?

I can't speak for anyone in the RRS, but I think that it's because they keep to themselves about their beliefs, however goofy those beliefs sometimes are; they don't do what the Religious Right does.

Maybe whichever Jewish atheists are here could fill us in. 

Jerud1711
Theist
User is offlineOffline
 The man with that sign

The man with that sign sends the wrong message. He is saying that if you have Cancer, turn to Jesus and He will heal you. That's bull shit. My mom was a Christian and had Cancer. Now's she's dead.

Jerud1711
Theist
User is offlineOffline
 But illness can have

But illness can have spiritually therapeutic benefits. But God never said He would cure all illnesses.

LovE-RicH
LovE-RicH's picture
User is offlineOffline
How's the movie progressing?

How's the movie progressing? When will it be released? Any trailers?Smiling

Bulldog
Superfan
Bulldog's picture
User is offlineOffline
Looks like it's going to be

Looks like it's going to be a great film.  The clip was good and entertaining but, do you have sound equipment to eliminate or dampen the background noise?  Looking forward to seeing it.

"Erecting the 'wall of separation between church and state,' therefore, is absolutely essential in a free society." Thomas Jefferson
www.myspace.com/kenhill5150

Sapient
High Level DonorRRS CO-FOUNDERRRS Core MemberWebsite Admin
User is offlineOffline
LovE-RicH wrote:How's the

LovE-RicH wrote:

How's the movie progressing? When will it be released? Any trailers?Smiling

So far the producers of the film have not lived up to their side of the bargain.   I can't say how long it will be other than I know it's past deadline already and I'm not sure if they've done much of anything.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is onlineOnline
Jerud1711 wrote: But

Jerud1711 wrote:

But illness can have spiritually therapeutic benefits. But God never said He would cure all illnesses.

What a sick bastard. (do you really want to use this line of logic?)

That would like me going to a doctor and saying, "Hey, I just got bitten by a cobra, can I have some anti-venom?" The doctor responds, "Oh, I could cure you because I do have the anti-venom, but NO!"

What kind of fucked up logic is that? And even if God wants to treat adults like toys that he can save or let die, what about kids and babies? What about those babies and kids who SWALLOWED WATER AND HAD THEIR LUNGS FILLED TO THE POINT OF SUFFICATION, in the tsunami? What could they have possible have done for an all powerfull god to say, "Sorry kid/baby, I am going to allow you to suffer a painful death, even though I don't have to allow it to happen".

Is this the God you worship? He COULD do something, but chooses not to. What do you think Child protective services would do to a parent if they found it in a filthy house with asbestos and broken glass and rat poo?

God never said anything because god(s) are a product of human imagination. Horrible things happen because of nature and inserting magical beings in as an answer does nothing to help us study these horrible events to look to future to look for natural solutions.

Do you really expect me to believe that their is a magic man in the sky that can manipulate the atoms in a strand of DNA? Or could it be that cancer is not a result of magic, but natural events? Could it be that a DOCTOR is real and your god is a whim you use to comfort you falsely in a time of stress?

Curing cancer with god is as rediculous as killing yourself expecing an orgy in the sky with 72 women, and as rediculous as praying to the sun that you'll get your pharro's tomb done in time and on budget.

A doctor certainly cant garuntee a cure, but is real and gods are fiction and I'll take a doctor over any stupid fictional superstition anyday.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

LovE-RicH
LovE-RicH's picture
User is offlineOffline
So far the producers of the

Quote:

So far the producers of the film have not lived up to their side of the bargain.   I can't say how long it will be other than I know it's past deadline already and I'm not sure if they've done much of anything.

Damn!Sad That sucks! I was wondering why there's no news about the film on the first page... Shit, I was really looking forward to it.

Well, I hope they do something! If they decide not to work on it anymore, will they at least give you the video material?

[mod edit: quote function]

JillSwift
Superfan
JillSwift's picture
User is offlineOffline
LovE-RicH wrote:Quote:So far

LovE-RicH wrote:

Quote:

Damn!Sad That sucks! I was wondering why there's no news about the film on the first page... Shit, I was really looking forward to it.

Well, I hope they do something! If they decide not to work on it anymore, will they at least give you the video material?

[mod edit: quote function]

Brian & RRS gang; If they're willing to give you the raw footage and you need an editor... I can handle MiniDV. Smiling

"Anyone can repress a woman, but you need 'dictated' scriptures to feel you're really right in repressing her. In the same way, homophobes thrive everywhere. But you must feel you've got scripture on your side to come up with the tedious 'Adam and Eve not Adam and Steve' style arguments instead of just recognising that some people are different." - Douglas Murray