RRS Georgia?

HumanisticJones
HumanisticJones's picture
User is offlineOffline
RRS Georgia?

Living out here in Atlanta, I'm sure there are some other RRS members in the area.  Are there enough of us to form an effective branch of RRS in Atlanta (our island of blue in a sea of red) or one of the Metro cities?  I think it would be great ot have a branch down here so we could organize our efforts.

With lawmakers taking children away from their mothers because of the mother's sexual orientation and school boards trying to force bibles into science classes and warning labels on our biology books, I can't think of a state that needs an organized vocal group of atheists more than Georgia.

The Regular Expressions of Humanistic Jones: Where one software Engineer will show the world that God is nothing more than an undefined pointer.

LunarShadow
User is offlineOffline
I Know that there are a few

I Know that there are a few members here who are infact in the state of Georgia. so that seems like it would be practical besides the fact that Reggie the Infidel Guy is around there. I think it would be good to have another foot hold in the south. So hopfully Brian will greenlight the idea.

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
I'm in Athens. Close

I'm in Athens. Close enough.

I haven't seen her for a while, but there's another Georgian who shows up in the chat room sometimes.  So there are a few, anyway.

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

HumanisticJones
User is offlineOffline
Athens is indeed close

Athens is indeed close enough to count in my opinion.

heike6
SuperfanBronze Member
heike6's picture
User is offlineOffline
I'm in Atlanta

I'm here and always willing to support the RRS however I can!

Susan
Susan's picture
User is offlineOffline
heike6 wrote: I'm here and

heike6 wrote:
I'm here and always willing to support the RRS however I can!

Welcome heike6!  Your first post!!!

When you get a chance, we'd love it if you'd hop over to General Conversation, Introductions, and Humor and introduce yourself. 

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

heike6
SuperfanBronze Member
heike6's picture
User is offlineOffline
Introduce myself?

LOL, I never thought of that. I just figured everyone already knew me. I've been around in the chatroom, but I have to read so many forums for school I can't take any more! Anyways, I'll be sure to do that. Thanks!

heike6
A single woman with no kids.

GodStoleMyFriends
GodStoleMyFriends's picture
User is offlineOffline
I live in Sandersville, GA

I live in Sandersville, GA which is about 2 hours or so away from Atlanta.

I've been out of the RRS loop for a while, but I'm going to be jumping back in in the near future and I for one think it would be wonderful idea to have an RRS group in GA. 

"If only God would give me some clear sign! Like making a large deposit in my name at a Swiss Bank."-Woody Allen

"Atheism is life affirming in a way religion can never be."-Richard Dawkins

HumanisticJones
User is offlineOffline
Well, it looks like we have

Well, it looks like we have a decent base to start a branch of RRS in Georgia.  I'd love to start getting some things organized soon.

The Regular Expressions of Humanistic Jones: Where one software Engineer will show the world that God is nothing more than an undefined pointer.

heike6
SuperfanBronze Member
heike6's picture
User is offlineOffline
The whole local affiliate

The whole local affiliate thing befuddles me in that there is already the Atlanta Freethought Society and the Atlanta Atheist meetup. That being said, I would be happy to hang out with you guys. I wouldn't mind driving to Athens. How is your bar doing, Bill? This might be a stupid question, but is smoking allowed? I can't go to the Atlanta Atheist meetups because there is smoke in the meetup location. If we do eventually become an affiliate, we could meet in the meeting room at my library. That would be fun. Smiling

heike6

HumanisticJones
User is offlineOffline
I can understand the smoking

I can understand the smoking question.  The smell of it makes some of my friends absolutely nauseous (as a former smoker I don't really mind it, but I try to avoid it for my friend's sakes).  Which library do you work at?  I find that meeting rooms like that are always a good place to get things done.

heike6
SuperfanBronze Member
heike6's picture
User is offlineOffline
I work at the Gwinnett

I work at the Gwinnett County Public Library. I don't know if I should list which branch on here...

The Orlando Atheist Meetup takes place at a library meetup, and I thought it was a great place (except that the chairs were uncomfortable). Since our chairs are comfortable, however, I see no problem. We even have a projector for atheist movies. Smiling 

heike6

ErikinAthens
User is offlineOffline
RRS Georgia

Hi guys- I just discovered the RRS and wanted to also lend my voice and support to an RRS Georgia. In case you hadn't guessed I am also in Athens. I'd be glad to spring for coffee and bagels at Jittery Joe's if anyone ever decides to get together.

Sapient
High Level DonorRRS CO-FOUNDERRRS Core MemberWebsite Admin
User is offlineOffline
Georgia atheists, I want to

Georgia atheists, I want to see a meetup at hambydamnits restaraunt in Athens, Ga.  If at any point we can get his restaurant full, the RRS would consider going down for a visit.  I'm talking.... packed!

hamby?  Who is around enough to take the lead on a project like this?  What's the fire company allow at your building hamby?   Got big bouncers and metal detectors?

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Definitely willing to have

Definitely willing to have meetups at the restaurant or bar. 

Bar would be more fun.  Alcohol, and all...

Not going to broadcast the restaurant and bar for the whole world, but if you locals want to PM me, I'll tell you which they are.  I'd love to meet you guys in person, and will certainly help setting up some meetups.

Also, if you're coming through this way, just PM me and I'll make sure to be around if you want to make a stop in Athens.

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

Books about atheism

ErikinAthens
User is offlineOffline
Athens meets

Again, I'm willing to help any way I can. Georgia is definitely on the frontlines in the Jesus wars.

delta658
delta658's picture
User is offlineOffline
wow i didn't know there were

wow i didn't know there were this many atheists near me. I live 15 min. outside of athens.

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Mainly just bumping this

Mainly just bumping this thread to the top of the list...

Also, delta and erik, get any and all atheist friends you know together, and let's see how many people we can scrounge up. For privacy reasons, I cannot be the head of the Athens RRS chapter, but my facilities will always be available, and atheist friendly!

We'd like to start having monthly meet-ups at my bar. Once we get enough people together, we can start with the monthly meetings, and start working towards a monster meetup sometime next year. It sounds like a lot of fun, guys!

I know probably four or five people in Athens who would attend, so we've got a good start!

Books about atheism

ErikinAthens
User is offlineOffline
Athens meetings

Hamby- if we can work out a time I'll pay for an ad in the Flagpole. Also I wonder if maybe UGA has an atheist/rationalist/skeptic club...they might want to come too..just thinking out loud here.

Sapient
High Level DonorRRS CO-FOUNDERRRS Core MemberWebsite Admin
User is offlineOffline
Pending a date for this

Pending a date for this event, I have Edwin Buckner slated to give a 5-10 minute speech at this event.  We hope to have a bunch of speakers, including ourselves and some of our more active members.

I also seem to have the involvement of the Atlanta Freethought Society as well as the main metro Atlanta Atheist Meetup run by Richard.  If I do my job right (and you guys help) we wont need for you to pay for an ad Erik.  I do what a newspaper ad would do, only 50 times better (wink, you can make a donation to us, when we sell it out without an ad).

We're thinking of this event, as like a pep rally for those who are willing to speak up.

I've created a myspace profile for the event, and could use the help of some of you to find and add friends.  There are about 1000 atheists and agnostics within 20 miles of Athens listed on myspace.  We just need 10% to come.   The profile and details will be available soon.

darth_josh
High Level DonorHigh Level ModeratorGold Member
darth_josh's picture
User is offlineOffline
I'm in. I'll drive down

I'm in. I'll drive down there.

I'll be going down I-24 if there's anybody along the route wanting a ride.

I won't be drinking alcohol. So I can D.D. if needed. (Too busy watching the drunks to get drunk. lol.) 

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server, which houses Celebrity Atheists.

BrotherRichard
BrotherRichard's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hey guys,   My name is

Hey guys,  My name is Richard and I also live in the Atlanta area. I am coming here because of the letter Brian sent out to the Meetup organizers about the Athens meeting. I'm all for it and will do everything I can to help. We need a good dose of reality here in the South.  Until then, I would like to invite you to our Metro Atlanta Meetup. It is for all atheists, agnostics, freethinkers, skeptics, naturalists, etc. You can check it out here: http://brights.meetup.com/282/  Come help us get organized!

GodStoleMyFriends
GodStoleMyFriends's picture
User is offlineOffline
Anymore information about

Anymore information about the meet up in Athens? Has it already happened?

If the event has yet to occur, depending on the day of the week, I may be able to attend with a friend. 

"If only God would give me some clear sign! Like making a large deposit in my name at a Swiss Bank."-Woody Allen

"Atheism is life affirming in a way religion can never be."-Richard Dawkins

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Just so it's well

Just so it's well understood, there is an atheist friendly bar in Athens any time.  If three or four people are gathered in nobody's name, and I know about it, there will be drink specials.

Books about atheism

HumanisticJones
User is offlineOffline
Man, I've been clear out of

Man, I've been clear out of it recently with losing one job, hunting for more, and getting a new one.  I'm still up for this, Athens isn't too far from where I live (relative to how much I'm used to driving on the weekends).  I'd love to come by your bar Hamby, always a pleasure to have a few drinks and meet in fellowship under... well, a roof.