Greatest home video EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!

Michael A. Thompson
Michael A. Thompson's picture
User is offlineOffline
Greatest home video EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is hands down the coolest most unexpected thing I have ever seen!  Starts out slow but watch the whole 8 minutes.  If you have already seen it PLEASE don't spoil it for the next viewer.  Just say cool and then move on.  Thanks!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LU8DDYz68kM

"Those who have stepped into the arena shall forever cherish a feeling the protected will never know."

lucidfox13
lucidfox13's picture
User is offlineOffline
Cool :D  Seen it before,

Cool :D  Seen it before, but very interesting.

JCE
Bronze Member
JCE's picture
User is offlineOffline
This was cool!  Thanks for

This was cool!  Thanks for posting it.  Nature is...amazing!

Susan
Susan's picture
User is offlineOffline
Although I understand

Although I understand that's how things work in the real world, I found it very hard to watch.  It was like watching a train wreck - you don't want to look, but you can't help yourself.

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

robakerson
robakerson's picture
User is offlineOffline
Way cool. Currently listed

Way cool.

Currently listed on page 3 of Youtube's "most viewed of all time"
between one called "humor" which starts off as a baby humping a doll, and one called "me singing 'what goes around' Justin Timberlake"

Doublethink means the power of holding two contradictory beliefs in one's mind simultaneously, and accepting both of them.
George Orwell.

daveyboy
daveyboy's picture
User is offlineOffline
Wow, that's pretty amazing.

Wow, that's pretty amazing.

Nero
Rational VIP!
Nero's picture
User is offlineOffline
Holy crap.  It was like

Holy crap.  It was like being at my sister's wedding again.  My family, small in number but of higher intelligence, overrun by his family, enormous oafs who graze for hours.

"Tis better to rule in Hell than to serve in Heaven." -Lucifer

Iruka Naminori
atheist
Iruka Naminori's picture
User is offlineOffline
One helluva a rodeo.

One helluva a rodeo.

[edited to prevent spoilers] 

Iruka Naminori
atheist
Iruka Naminori's picture
User is offlineOffline
Don't mess with the calves of African water buffalo. :)

On edit: Whoops!  I didn't know this had already been posted.  Here it is, embedded:

Iruka Naminori
atheist
Iruka Naminori's picture
User is offlineOffline
jce wrote: This was cool!

jce wrote:
This was cool! Thanks for posting it. Nature is...amazing!

Agreed!  I'm a connoisseur of nature documentaries and this is one of the most amazing things I've ever seen.

Books on atheism, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

Iruka Naminori
atheist
Iruka Naminori's picture
User is offlineOffline
Susan wrote: Although I

Susan wrote:

Although I understand that's how things work in the real world, I found it very hard to watch. It was like watching a train wreck - you don't want to look, but you can't help yourself.

Yeah, it can be disturbing, but I think it's important for people to understand nature as it is.  During the Romantic Era, nature was "romanticized."  In modern society people have cut themselves off from nature to the point that they don't have a clue.  On one side you get people who romanticize nature and on the other, folks who vilify it.  The truth is that nature is beauty and brutality in equal measure.

On a whale watching trip I once witnessed an orca take a juvenile sea lion.  It's what transient orcas do.  A little boy who was standing right in front of me was a little shaken up.  I would have been, too, at his age and gave him some comforting words.  The orca, after all, has to eat four juvenile sea lions a day in order to survive. 

Viewing nature was one of the many things that led me to conclude there was no benevolent god in control (and no, that stupid story about nature "falling" because Adam and Eve ate a piece of fruit doesn't cut it).

***Spoiler Alert***Don't scroll down if you haven't seen the video*** 

At the same time, you can see altruism in the buffalo herd.  They will risk their lives to save not only calves, but any herd member.  On the other hoof, they hate lions so much, they'll go out of their way to trample and gore lion cubs.  I can't say I blame them considering what happens if they let the cubs grow up.

Books on atheism, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

Wonderist
atheist
Wonderist's picture
User is offlineOffline
By the way, did anybody

By the way, did anybody notice the obvious natural morality taking place there? Not only did the buffalo cooperate to protect the calf, but the lions also cooperated very well to both hunt the buffalo and to thwart the crocodile.

Wonderist on Facebook — Support the idea of wonderism by 'liking' the Wonderism page — or join the open Wonderism group to take part in the discussion!

Gnu Atheism Facebook group — All gnu-friendly RRS members welcome (including Luminon!) — Try something gnu!

Iruka Naminori
atheist
Iruka Naminori's picture
User is offlineOffline
natural wrote: By the way,

natural wrote:
By the way, did anybody notice the obvious natural morality taking place there? Not only did the buffalo cooperate to protect the calf, but the lions also cooperated very well to both hunt the buffalo and to thwart the crocodile.

Yes, I commented on it above...at least on the buffalo.  It's very interesting that both brutality and morality (both very natural) are on display.