THE SECRET

Malice
Malice's picture
User is offlineOffline
THE SECRET

i dont know if you guys and girls have come across it , i dont think its very big but its a group of people who talk about how basicly the power of attraction can be used to make your life better for expample

if you constuantly think of bills you attract bills and vice versa if you expect checks in the mail. you attract checks in the mail.

i have read  thier book and watched the movie and i honestly find it very belivble .

i was jsut wandering what your opionion is

i dont think its a relgious belief or anything remotley close but i find it very intresting

yeah so let me knows your opioinion 

Malice
Malice's picture
User is offlineOffline
http://thesecret.tv/     l

http://thesecret.tv/

link to thier home page

deludedgod
Rational VIP!ScientistDeluded God
deludedgod's picture
User is offlineOffline
My opinion on Rhonda

My opinion on Rhonda Byrne's The Secret?

I believe my opinion on The Secret can best be expressed by the flushing sound in the next door room.

"Physical reality” isn’t some arbitrary demarcation. It is defined in terms of what we can systematically investigate, directly or not, by means of our senses. It is preposterous to assert that the process of systematic scientific reasoning arbitrarily excludes “non-physical explanations” because the very notion of “non-physical explanation” is contradictory.

-Me

Books about atheism

Malice
Malice's picture
User is offlineOffline
deludedgod wrote: My

deludedgod wrote:

My opinion on Rhonda Byrne's The Secret?

I believe my opinion on The Secret can best be expressed by the flushing sound in the next door room.

lol oh ok , why is that? 

Malice
Malice's picture
User is offlineOffline
deludedgod wrote:

MOD EDIT [Delete Double Post]

Malice
Malice's picture
User is offlineOffline
deludedgod wrote:

MOD EDIT [Delete Triple Post]

deludedgod
deludedgod's picture
User is offlineOffline
Malice wrote:  lol oh ok

Malice wrote:

lol oh ok , why is that?

Well, perhaps because it is utter psuedoscientific nonsense, half-baked anti-rationalism new-age mythological idiocy which is harmless albeit extremely stupid. The whole notion of the book is that thinking good thoughts brings happiness, while thinking bad thoughts brings unhappiness. In short, the book proclaims that humans can get what they want just by thinking about it. It is the most ridiculous idea ever conjured up, except the stories in the Bible. 

"Physical reality” isn’t some arbitrary demarcation. It is defined in terms of what we can systematically investigate, directly or not, by means of our senses. It is preposterous to assert that the process of systematic scientific reasoning arbitrarily excludes “non-physical explanations” because the very notion of “non-physical explanation” is contradictory.

-Me

Books about atheism

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Put it this way, thinking

Put it this way, thinking about and wanting very badly to win the lottery for 18 years has provided me with nothing. That alone proves "the secret" wrong.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Malice wrote: i dont know

Malice wrote:

i dont know if you guys and girls have come across it , i dont think its very big but its a group of people who talk about how basicly the power of attraction can be used to make your life better for expample

if you constuantly think of bills you attract bills and vice versa if you expect checks in the mail. you attract checks in the mail.

i have read thier book and watched the movie and i honestly find it very belivble .

i was jsut wandering what your opionion is

i dont think its a relgious belief or anything remotley close but i find it very intresting

yeah so let me knows your opioinion

I know that the limit of the word "atheist" refures to deities.. But the same logic used to reject them SHOULD apply to this kind of stuff as well.

Basically what is going on here is that a person assignes meaning to a "hit" while ignoring the misses.

I had a co-worker once at a pizza place who swore there was something to the event when three people in a row would call up and order the same pizza.  He ignored all the times THAT DIDNT HAPPEN. It was about as amazing to me as taking a dump.

He once said that to a customer. I responded with, "No, what would be amazing is if 5 people who never spoke to each other called us up and asked us if we sold tires".

The point is, this is another superstition. It works on those who dont know how easy it is for the brain to fool itself.

It is the same brain scam that causes people to go "WOW" when the Mind Freak saws himself in half. People acutally think it is real and not an illusion.

They arnt willing to understand that "not knowing" does not equate to "magic" or "karma" or "Kismit" or ect ect ect.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

Textom
Textom's picture
User is offlineOffline
As Carl Sagan would say

As Carl Sagan would say about psuedoscience in general, "The evidence is not good."

You might take a look at this evidence, though, which still isn't completely understood.

http://www.princeton.edu/~pear/

"After Jesus was born, the Old Testament basically became a way for Bible publishers to keep their word count up." -Stephen Colbert

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Complete idiocy. Sucks how

Complete idiocy. Sucks how Oprah has to waste her popularity puting pseudoscience out there so often.

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

Maragon
Maragon's picture
User is offlineOffline
Pseudoscience.   I got a

Pseudoscience.

I got a huge lecture on it when I asked my fiancee if he had heard anything about it.

Apparently it's some kind of cult too.

lucidfox13
lucidfox13's picture
User is offlineOffline
For the idea that you think

For the idea that you think good, and good comes to you and vice versa?  I think it's more psycological than metaphysical or whatever.  I mean, if you constantly think good thoughts, you're going to notice all the good things that happen to you, and more or less ignore the bad.  Same if you think bad things.  You'll notice the bad things that happen, and not the good ones.  It's all in your head.  That type of reasoning doesn't work with physical things though, like thinking about money to get rich.

JESUS SAVES!!! .... and takes only half damage!

Tarpan
Special Agent
User is offlineOffline
It's total BS.

It's total BS.

That said, I do firmly believe in the power of positive thinking. But that has nothing to do with science and everything to do with psycology and the impressions you give.

Iruka Naminori
atheist
Iruka Naminori's picture
User is offlineOffline
I started a thread about

I started a thread about this awhile back.  My cousin was getting into it.  I watched the DVD and my bullshit-o-meter was so loud I forgot to finish eating.

Now Oprah is disseminating more bullshit?  Sigh. 

http://tinyurl.com/3b5fjd

Books on atheism, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

slowhand
slowhand's picture
User is offlineOffline
The secret does work, ay

The secret does work, ay least for the author.  she kept thinking about gullible people and stacks of money.  miraculously, she was swarmed with morons throwing money at her. 

“The greatest tragedy in mankind's entire history may be the hijacking of morality by religion.”

“It may be that our role on this planet is not to worship God, but to create him.”

<

Voided
User is offlineOffline
I remember a few topics

I remember a few topics about this before. The only way it could help is improving your mood. However thinking everything will work out could set you up for a big hurt. Hurt being bad or very bad, disappointed or died. That would depend on what you are hoping would work out.

deludedgod
deludedgod's picture
User is offlineOffline
The Secret is pure and

Double Post

-Me

Books about atheism

lip9000
lip9000's picture
User is offlineOffline
The Secret?

*move this post if it is in the wrong forum.

Has anyone seen The Secret? What do they think about it? I've seen it and it was a bit hard to understand but the concept kind of makes sense, and they claim to have scientific proof of it, ie quantom physics and such.

Is The Secret a spiritual religious thing? In other words does it contradict atheism?

I'd like to see peoples thoughts on the subjects. Thanks

deludedgod
deludedgod's picture
User is offlineOffline
The Secret is pure and

The Secret is pure and utter psuedoscientific nonsense. The notion that thinking good things can bring results in the real world is utter nonsense. There is absolutely no 

They claim to have proof from quantum phyiscs? That's very interesting, since I did quantum physics in university and still study it, and I have never heard such a ridiculous claim in my entire life. What would they use to support it? Electrodynamics? Chrondodynamics? Entaglement? Boltzmann paramaters? Supersymmetry? Gauge theory? I cannot see a relationship between QED and The Secret.

The quantum physicist John Wheeler, for his work on the nature of consciousness and its relevance to Wavefunction collapse, was hailed as a guru by New Age spiritual idiots. Wheeler hates them. He said of them "Where there's smoke, there's smoke".

I don't think quantum physicists take seriously the notion that their work has any relevance to New Age mysticism. 

Does the secret contradict atheism? Well, lets see, the Secret contradicts rationalism, empiricism, common sense, reason, logic, thinking in general, so yes it does.

-Me

Books about atheism

LeftofLarry
RRS local affiliateScientist
LeftofLarry's picture
User is offlineOffline
It's nothing more than self

It's nothing more than self help crap.  Think positive and good things happen.  Well, yeah it's always good to be positive...but I guarantee you by thinking about 1 million dollars you will not get 1 million dollars.   It's kinda like prayer.

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server which houses Celebrity Atheists.

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
And of course if this were

And of course if this were true it would mean not many people were thinking about world peace or a cure for cancer. Anyone who believes this shit is seriously deluded.

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

stillmatic
stillmatic's picture
User is offlineOffline
Tarpan wrote: It's total

Tarpan wrote:

It's total BS.

That said, I do firmly believe in the power of positive thinking. But that has nothing to do with science and everything to do with psycology and the impressions you give.

You have no idea how many times I've tried to explain this to my roommate.

Your thoughts and mood are not entirely secret from everyone else. Tone of voice, eye contact, body language, etc. Having a positive attitude won't influence everyone to react positively to you, but it might sway a few extra people here and there. I consider it to be that very subtle edge.

"A proof is a proof. What kind of a proof? It's a proof. A proof is a proof. And when you have a good proof, it's because it's proven." -- former Canadian Prime Minister Jean Chretien

lier
User is offlineOffline
This Secret crap makes me

This Secret crap makes me so angry. It's just another form of religion that enslaves people and takes their money. My sister knows a woman who gave her a copy of the Secret on DVD. I watched it and it was a load of crap.

Sure, positive thinking does make a difference in your life just because of the way you look at things. I even learned back in college that you can do better on a test if you have a positive frame of mind.

This woman my sister knows is a motivational speaker -- I believe thats what she calls herself, anyway. She brags on her Myspace page about being a millionarie. Her classes cost up to $200 a person and she speaks a few times a month! She has turned this thing into a religion. And she isn't the only one doing this.

Through her Myspace account I found a lot of people who are doing the same thing with the Secret, and have been using the book to do so for years. They're trying to "enlighten" people that they can get anything they want. The universe wants you to be happy.

If you want to make a little money, write a book. If you want to make a lot of money, create a religion.

L. Ron Hubbard

DelphicRaven
DelphicRaven's picture
User is offlineOffline
I haven't heard much about

I haven't heard much about this, but it kind of sounds like it's along the same lines of the movie "what the bleep..." which I have heard described as pseudoscience bullshit too.

Is that accurate?

--Sarah-- 

Prayer: How to do nothing and feel like your doing something.

JCE
Bronze Member
JCE's picture
User is offlineOffline
There was a great podcast

There was a great podcast about this on Logically Critical.  Yeah, it is pseudoscience....if it works then why are these people only out there wishing for cars and bigger salaries?  Why don't they collectively wish away cancer or aids?

Delphic, that movie was mentioned in the podcast too - you are exactly right. 

DelphicRaven
DelphicRaven's picture
User is offlineOffline
I watched about half of the

I watched about half of the "what the bleep" movie and had to turn it off and do something else. I think the feeling of my IQ dropping as I watched it was too painful. I thought that I'd give the movie a try because there were so many people screaming about how fantastic it was and how "eye opening". It was the dumbest thing I saw for a long time. I thought I was a psycho for thinking that... When I was told to watch it, by numerous sources, I was pretty much told that the metnally stunted were the only ones who thought movies like that were crap because they weren't deep enough to understand it...

It bugs me because parts of the movie are used as defense for a lot of people's arguments. IE: "all energy is connected, remember the japanese guy's water experament? Negative thoughts effected the water negatively." etc. 

It seems as though "What the Bleep" and "The Secret" are two movies that have recently turned into the mystics bible.  

--Sarah-- 

Prayer: How to do nothing and feel like your doing something.

Yellow_Number_Five
atheistRRS Core MemberScientist
Yellow_Number_Five's picture
User is offlineOffline
It's about gravity? That's

It's about gravity? That's the only "law of attraction" I'm aware of.

Bigg
Bigg's picture
User is offlineOffline
Yellow_Number_Five

Yellow_Number_Five wrote:
It's about gravity? That's the only "law of attraction" I'm aware of.

Love attracts.And its better than scientific laws,(ok fuckit gravity trumps it,but doesnt feel as good)

and science is the devil anyway,dont put it above fictional bible shit.

Straight to hell with you!Rejoice! For he follows satans blasphemy,and will burn.

100% truth man,but hey?

Just lemme in on the hell BS,im gonna need friends in the underworld to wage war on heaven(fucking cult) 

"Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions."--Frater Ravus

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Dylan wrote:The Secret by

Dylan wrote:
The Secret by Rhonda Byrne is a book about the Law of Attraction. If you have heard about it, or have read it, please share your thoughts on it.

It's in the top ten most popular scams of today, which include the muslim, christian, jewish, wiccan, and scientologist religions, and a few things involving nigeria.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

Eloise
TheistBronze Member
Eloise's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hey there Dylan,

Per forum rules:

NO THEISTS ALLOWED IN THIS FORUM. THEIST POSTS WILL BE DESTROYED.

Theist badge qualifier : Gnostic/Philosophical Panentheist

www.mathematicianspictures.com

Dylan
Theist
User is offlineOffline
The Secret

Per forum rules: 

ABx
User is offlineOffline
This is exactly the kind of

This is exactly the kind of modern new age tripe that I loathe. They hear a few words brought about by quantum physicists, and assume that they must apply to the macro world. I assume this is a product of the notion of "as above so below".

They're not actually trying to understand physics, they're trying to retro-fit abstract analogies, thought experiments, and other layman level explanations of physics, directly to their pre-conceived philosophy as a means of giving it some kind of facade of authority. How many of them, including The Secret, start of with "Physicists say..." or "According to quantum physics/mechanics..." to imply that "if scientists are using words that I recognize from my BS philosophy, then I must be right!". They are stealing concepts from respected intellectuals and applying them to things that bare no resemblance whatsoever to their original context as a means of trying to make their circular reasoning sound more logical.

From what I've seen, this kind of thinking usually results from people that routinely sabotage their own success and cannot accept responsibility for it. They see every bad thing that happens in their life as intervention by unseen external agents, rather than the negative behaviors they perpetuate by blaming everyone and everything else. They cannot and will not see their own mistakes, which means they will never correct them. Instead they look to bullshit new-age crap like this, chosing whichever seems to hold the most authority - and what offers more authority than science! Nevermind the 800lb gorilla in the room that is screaming the fact that they have no idea what the concepts they speak of really mean.

These are the people that think that there really was a butterfly in China causing Katrina. Sorry, it doesn't work like that.

I may not have a lot of understanding of quantum physics or quantum mechanics, but I know better than to think that how particles behave at a sub-atomic level have any relevance to how I should live my life.

Cory
User is offlineOffline
I wrote a several thousand

I wrote a several thousand word essay debunking The Secret, in response to a debate I had with supporters of the book. The debate began innocently enough when I posted an essay published in the newsletter of Skeptic magazine which took issue with its claims of quantum physics. Remarkably, the whole time while I said the book was all about quantum physics, the supporters claimed skeptics were "misinterpreting" The Secret and that The Secret had nothing much to do with quantum physics. I then wrote my essay and annihilated their argument to all oblivion, making it clear as day that in all seriousness and no metaphorical sense Rhonda Byrne and her partners in crime were demanding the "law of attraction" has a real scientific law.

Here is the essay:
http://blog.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.view&friendID=3354894&blogID=253782488

Eloise
TheistBronze Member
Eloise's picture
User is offlineOffline
ABx wrote:

Per forum rules:

aiia
Superfan
aiia's picture
User is offlineOffline
NO THEISTS ALLOWED TO POST

Don't forget

THEISTS ARE NOT PERMITTED TO POST IN THE FREETHINING ANONYMOUS FORUM

Dylan
Theist
User is offlineOffline
AiiA wrote:

Per forum rules:

Eloise
TheistBronze Member
Eloise's picture
User is offlineOffline
AiiA wrote:

Per forum rules:

BGH
BGH's picture
User is offlineOffline
Please review the rules for

Please review the rules for this forum here.

Freethinking Anonymous A haven for those who are without a belief in god, to discuss and the theorize, think freely, and debate any issue. No taboo issue in here. NO THEISTS ALLOWED IN THIS FORUM. THEIST POSTS WILL BE DESTROYED. I am not sure who moved the posts, or if they were moved. Regardless the moderator who deleted your posts was doing his job. I am sorry you lost your posts. 

Eloise
TheistBronze Member
Eloise's picture
User is offlineOffline
BGH wrote:

Per forum rules: