The Pope Bashes Atheism

RickRebel
RickRebel's picture
User is offlineOffline
The Pope Bashes Atheism

From Yahoo News Nov. 30, 2007:

VATICAN CITY (Reuters) - Pope Benedict, in an encyclical released on Friday, said atheism was responsible for some of the "greatest forms of cruelty and violations of justice" in history.

The 75-page "Spe Salvi," which takes its Latin title from a quote by St Paul (in hope we were saved), is an appeal to a pessimistic world to find strength in Christian hope.

In the second encyclical of his papacy, Benedict urges Christians to put their hope for the future in God and not in technology, wealth or political ideologies.

Atheism could be regarded by some as a "type of moralism," particularly in the 19th and 20th centuries, to protest against the injustices of the world and world history, he said.

Reciting arguments made by atheists, he said: "A world marked by so much injustice, innocent suffering and cynicism of power cannot be the work of a good God. A God with responsibility for such a world would not be a just God, much less a good God."

History has proven wrong ideologies such as Marxism which say humans had to establish social justice because God did not exist, the Pope wrote.

"It is no accident that this idea has led to the greatest forms of cruelty and violations of justice," the Pope said. Such a concept was grounded in "intrinsic falsity."

Marxism, the Pope wrote, had left behind "a trail of appalling destruction" because it failed to realize that man could not be "merely the product of economic conditions."

ATHEISTS REACT

The encyclical is the highest form of papal writing and addresses all members of the Church. This document is written in a highly academic, professorial style in which the Pope quotes saints, philosophers and writers to make his point.

Atheism has been a hot topic recently thanks to best-selling books questioning the value of religion such as "The God Delusion" by Richard Dawkins and "God is Not Great" by Christopher Hitchens.

The Pope seemed to be addressing the fresh interest in atheism in the developed world with phrases such as: "Let us put it very simply: man needs God, otherwise he remains without hope."

Italy's Union of Atheists, Agnostics and Rationalists (UAAR) said by taking such stands the Pope would push more people away from the Church.

"The existence of a billion non-believers in the world should be enough to make the Pope understand that man can live very well without God, but with reason," a statement said.

The Pope urged Christians to put their hope for a better future in God.

"We have all witnessed the way in which progress, in the wrong hands, can become and has indeed become a terrifying progress in evil. If technical progress is not matched by corresponding progress in man's ethical formation, in man's inner growth, then it is not progress at all, but a threat for man and for the world," he said.

Christian hope also meant protecting the planet, even if people felt powerless to make changes in their lifetimes, he said.

"We can free our life and the world from the poisons and contaminations that could destroy the present and the future. We can uncover the sources of creation and keep them unsullied, and in this way we can make a right use of creation, which comes to us as a gift..." he said.

(Editing by Janet Lawrence)

Frosty's coming back someday. Will you be ready?

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is onlineOnline
His cheerleading club did

His cheerleading club did not officially recognize the earth as round untill the late pope was shown a photograph of the earth from space IN THE 1970s. It also took that club centeries to apologize for the arrest of Gallelio(sp).

This prick has no right to dictate to anyone. He can spew all the nonsense he wants while wearing the giant phallace on his head. But if he thinks he's going to marginalize and demonize atheists and thinks that will have an affect on silencing us, he is sadly mistaken.

He is intitled as a human rights issue, to believe whatever, but he will never silence us.

So while this clown sits in a pallace and lives a lavish life off the donations of people who could use that money and feed themselves, he has no room to talk.

Let me set you strieght Pope. You dont own me and you are an intelectuall coward. You spew lies about atheists but never once have or will you debate them face to face. YOU ARE A COWARD POPE!

Your authority only has berring on sheep. I am not a sheep. I can think for myself, I suggest you do the same. 

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

Zombie
RRS local affiliate
Zombie's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hmmm, anyone here speak

Hmmm, anyone here speak itailian? It might be fun to get into contact with that group mentioned in order to get an interview?

Morte alla tyrannus et dei

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Is it just me or was John

Is it just me or was John Paul better?

Vessel
Vessel's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote: "We have all

Quote:
"We have all witnessed the way in which progress, in the wrong hands, can become and has indeed become a terrifying progress in evil. If technical progress is not matched by corresponding progress in man's ethical formation, in man's inner growth, then it is not progress at all, but a threat for man and for the world," he said.

And what are the right hands for progress, the church? Is it atheism or the progress itself that he fears? Or is this simply an admission that secular thought is at the heart of progress and that he's afraid of his growing irrelevance? Seems like a longing for those good old dark ages, when a Pope was a Pope and an atheist knew his place.  

Certainly he does not consider his church, stuck in it's antiquated philosphy, to be capable of leading humanity in dealing with the ethical questions brought about by technological progress.     

“Philosophers have argued for centuries about how many angels can dance on the head of a pin, but materialists have always known it depends on whether they are jitterbugging or dancing cheek to cheek" -- Tom Robbins

shelley
ModeratorRRS local affiliate
shelley's picture
User is offlineOffline
Zombie wrote: Hmmm, anyone

Zombie wrote:
Hmmm, anyone here speak itailian?

leftoflarry? 

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is onlineOnline
The artical paints them as

The artical paints them as optimists and atheists as pesimists.

Since when it it pesimistic to point out to a fellow human that what they believe is false? Since when is it pesimistic to face people with reality so they can deal with it better?

If it is optimistic to point out to your neighbor that Ouiji boards are  a scam, arnt you saving your neighbor from wasted time? 

It is just the reverse Pope! Atheists are optimistic that when myth is discarded, this thing we call life, can be extended by facing reality. Myth of any kind, such as Loc Ness, or Ouiji bords, rabbits feet, Thor or Osirus, only incerts wishfull thinking where real answers are absent.

The Pope lashes out at atheists because he refuses to face that he baught a lie. Rather than do the right thing and bravely question his own claims, he paints the atheist as evil. It is a common tactic, but one atheists are no longer putting up with.

Pray to Allah it is the same thing. Pray to Vishnu, it is the same thing. Prey to little green men like Tom Cruise, it is the same thing. It is nothing but talking to yourself.

So Pope, do your worst, call for an uprise against atheists. Maybe you too can stick us in ovens like Hitler did with Jews. If we are garbage like Stalin, then I dare you to treat us as such. I doubt being the coward you are, that you back up your lip with action. 

Unlike you Pope, I dont disire forcable distruction of dissent, even the vial crap you spew.  Do your worst Pope, say the worst about athiests all you want. I am not a baby and I am not out to get you. I just dont think you have the moral fortitude to face us when you spew your garbage. 

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

magilum
User is offlineOffline
LOL. You gotta love that

LOL. You gotta love that there's still a pope. It's a close as most of us will get to having a time machine.

RickRebel
RickRebel's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote: Since when

Brian37 wrote:
Since when it it pesimistic to point out to a fellow human that what they believe is false? Since when is it pesimistic to face people with reality so they can deal with it better?

Hell Yeah!!!

The world is filled with weak cowards who can't deal with reality. And that includes news reporters who portray atheists as the bad guys. They want to continue to believe that magic will save them from the big bad world. Anything that threatens the existence of this magic has to be fought.

If they can't fight it, they run from it.

When I start challenging some of my family's Christians beliefs with rational thought, their defense is to end the discussion immediately. Some even leave the room. They can't deal with the fact that life after death may not exists. They don't want to die. They want to live forever.

They run from reality like a rabbit runs from a fox. It's basic animal survival. Bashing atheists or campaigning against an "atheist" movie is the same thing. It's a survival instinct.

CrimsonEdge
CrimsonEdge's picture
User is offlineOffline
Cpt_pineapple wrote:

Cpt_pineapple wrote:

Is it just me or was John Paul better?

When John Paul died I was sad. When Ratzinger was elected, I wept.

Fire
Fire's picture
User is offlineOffline
Damn! I came here to post

Damn! I came here to post this.

My thread title was going to be "Pope calls kettle black" 

Bulldog
Superfan
Bulldog's picture
User is offlineOffline
The Pope seems to have

The Pope seems to have forgotten his own religion's history.  For some 700 years the Church ruled the world, choosing kings and making law.  More people died as a result of the Christianity's ingorance, greed and quackery than under Marxism.

The Inquisition was the weapon of choice by the Church to murder opponents and innocents, steal property and wealth, and simply control the population.  Keeping the people ignorant and uneducated was key, although literacy was already low to begin with.  Persecuting scientists and philosophers with glee, burning people at the stake, and wholesale slaughter of anyone deemed a threat. 

Their record hasn't improved over the centuries. Aligning themselves with every despot and fascist that has come along their bloody history can at least said to be consistent. 

"Erecting the 'wall of separation between church and state,' therefore, is absolutely essential in a free society." Thomas Jefferson
www.myspace.com/kenhill5150

DrTerwilliker
DrTerwilliker's picture
User is offlineOffline
Atheism is not a fucking

Atheism is not a fucking doctrine.  It's not an actual belief.  I could say "People who don't believe in leprachauns have done so much harm in the world," and it would be equally accurate.  I'm so sick of people associating mandated state-worship with modern people who don't believe in god.  Most atheists are in favor of freedom of religion.  Almost none of us aspire for a country where religion is illegal.  It's such an outrageously dumb argument against atheism.

Jacob Cordingley
SuperfanBronze Member
Jacob Cordingley's picture
User is offlineOffline
Of course they forget to

Of course they forget to mention that Pope Benedict was a member of the Nazi Youth. And the horrible atrocities done in the name of Catholicism. Oh wait but of course, they weren't atrocities because they were done in the name of Catholicism, how silly of me.

jmm
Theist
jmm's picture
User is offlineOffline
the pope bashes atheism? 

the pope bashes atheism?  to be fair, this couldn't have been much of a surprise to anyone.  he's the...pope. 

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
As I said before, the pope

As I said before, the pope is an asshat.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is onlineOnline
MattShizzle wrote: As I

MattShizzle wrote:
As I said before, the pope is an asshat.

No he is not an "asshat", he is a "penishat". You have seen the phallace he puts on his head?

It's in his name that he is a penis, "BeneDICT!" Not only has he been a dick, he still is a DICK!

JeremiahSmith
User is offlineOffline
Pope says something

Pope says something catastrophically retarded, in other news there is violence in the Middle East, politicians have been discovered to be corrupt, and the sky remains blue. FILM AT 11.

Götter sind für Arten, die sich selbst verraten -- in den Glauben flüchten um sich hinzurichten. Menschen brauchen Götter um sich zu verletzen, um sich zu vernichten -- das sind wir.

Topher
Topher's picture
User is offlineOffline
The Pope wrote: In the

The Pope wrote:
In the second encyclical of his papacy, Benedict urges Christians to put their hope for the future in God and not in technology, wealth or political ideologies.

Shall we compare the progression made when religion/god ruled all, to when technology developed?

Todangst explains:

todangst wrote:
Ever hear of the Dark Ages? That's the time when christianity ruled the world.

And from the time of the fall of Rome, until the Renaissance - when people began to again value intellectual thought, not one significant discovery was made. Can you name one signficant scientist or scientific discovery from the 6th century? The 7th? 8th, 9th, 10th?

Now, how many can you name from the 20th?

In the Dark Ages, irrationalism replaced rationalism. In Rome, it was believed by many that the brain was the seat of intellect, and that the heart was just a muscle. In Greece, and later in Rome, it was held that the world was round... in fact, Eratosthenes measured the circumference of the world. People knew 1800 years ago how large the world was... but 1000 years later, they had NO IDEA. The heliocentric system was first uncovered in Greece.

But in the dark ages, irrationalism ruled, knowledge was shunned, and ignorace took over... people thought the world was flat and that the sun revolved around the earth, they believed that the heart was the center of the intellect.... where did this ignorance come from? The bible.

And even worse, diseases that were easily cured by ROMANS were uncurable for people living centuries AFTER the fall of Rome.

The Greeks and Romans invented the clinical method of science and medicine! They held that diseases were natural and curable.

Then came christianity, that shunned knowledge, actively worked against the disease model of medicine, and replaced it with demonology... now, a disease was a demon... Medical science actually went backwards, we actually LOST knowledge!

Think that isn't important?

Well, because of that, the lifespan of mankind actualy shrunk during that time. That's right, 1000 years after the fall of Rome, people were dying at an earlier age than they were prior to the fall of Rome. That's right, as time passed, things actually got worse.

If you don't think that's significant, you tell me what you think the life span will be 1000 years from now. Do you think it will shrink? Well, if it does, you can thank christianity again.

We has historical evidence that when religion controls the world, man suffers. That's why it's important to question christianity. It's important to think critically, because the alternative leads to death.

Quote:
How many centuries are we behind where we could be? I'd guess at least 300-400 years.

Maybe more.... just look at Greece from 500 BCE to Roman times around 200-300 AD.... look at the growth in thought....

Here's just one sobering thought. Rome, the capital city of the Roman empire, was the world's first city to approach a population of around 1 million - around 100 AD.

They were able to achieve this through technology - fine roads the could be traversed by heavy populations.... well structured buildings built to last.... (go to Rome today and take a look a some) and fresh, clean water... enough not only for drinking, but for public bathing!

The Roman aquaducts were a marvel - Roman civil engineers found a way to bring fresh clean water to a million people....

When was the next time a western city had a population of one million? When's the next time a city met this level of technological achievement?

London.

In the 19th century.

Thanks christianity. Thanks a heap. Thanks for diverting our minds to 'faith' thanks to diverting our works to building cathedrals, rather than cities.

The Pope wrote:
The Pope seemed to be addressing the fresh interest in atheism in the developed world with phrases such as: "Let us put it very simply: man needs God, otherwise he remains without hope."

Hope for what?

"It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring" -- Carl Sagan

Jacob Cordingley
SuperfanBronze Member
User is offlineOffline
Dark Ages were shit. Let us

Dark Ages were shit. Let us never speak of them again.

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
   .... hy the hell isn't

.... Why the hell isn't he arrested for conspiracy or hate crime, fraud, or something like that ??? Where's a good lawyer ? .....  

The_Fragile
The_Fragile's picture
User is offlineOffline
Another big shot theist

Another big shot theist demonizing atheism? Colour me suprised.

RickRebel
RickRebel's picture
User is offlineOffline
The Pope wrote: The

The Pope wrote:
Topher wrote:
Hope for what?
Hope that we'll be saved from the invisible boogie man that lurks among us to take us to a fiery dungeon to torture us. Hope that we'll be saved from the big, bad, scary world that's full of criminals and perverts and homosexuals and godless atheists and evil terrorists. Hope that someday we'll be taken from this evil world to the world where God and Jesus live with the angels and the streets are paved with gold and everything is wonderful and perfect and love is everywhere and the happy little Easter bunnies play among the dandelions for all eternity. Hope for that.

Strafio
Strafio's picture
User is offlineOffline
magilum wrote: LOL. You

magilum wrote:

LOL. You gotta love that there's still a pope. It's a close as most of us will get to having a time machine.

Lol!
Nice quotage from Topher too.

jmm
Theist
jmm's picture
User is offlineOffline
RickRebel wrote: The Pope

RickRebel wrote:
The Pope wrote:
Topher wrote:
Hope for what?
Hope that we'll be saved from the invisible boogie man that lurks among us to take us to a fiery dungeon to torture us. Hope that we'll be saved from the big, bad, scary world that's full of criminals and perverts and homosexuals and godless atheists and evil terrorists. Hope that someday we'll be taken from this evil world to the world where God and Jesus live with the angels and the streets are paved with gold and everything is wonderful and perfect and love is everywhere and the happy little Easter bunnies play among the dandelions for all eternity. Hope for that.

Ha ha.  Gotta love the old boogeyman argument.   

Jacob Cordingley
SuperfanBronze Member
User is offlineOffline
Haha... Let's look at the

Haha...

Let's look at the Pope's argument in as much detail as is possible to give it (three lines worth of text):

In order to have hope one has to have God.

Now here's some empirical evidence that contradicts it:

I have hope. I do not have God.

ronin-dog
Scientist
ronin-dog's picture
User is offlineOffline
Apparently Christian hope

Apparently Christian hope also means protecting the planet. Presumably by asking god to fix it.

Some top members of the Bush administration believe that they don't need to worry about global warming, because Revelations will come first.

Zen-atheist wielding Occam's katana.

Jesus said, "Suppose ye that I am come to give peace on earth? I tell you, Nay; but rather division." - Luke 12:51

Jacob Cordingley
SuperfanBronze Member
User is offlineOffline
Has your government

Has your government admitted global warming exists yet? I heard a while back that it had, but I'm not sure. I'm going to restrain myself from going off on a rant about global warming here.

ronin-dog
Scientist
ronin-dog's picture
User is offlineOffline
Thanks for the restraint.

Thanks for the restraint. They have acknowledged global warming, only they are calling it climate change to make themselves feel better. Admittedly Bush's mate little Johny wasn't doing much more than a token effort. But our new PM, Kev, is a bit more serious on the issue. He also called the Exclusive Bretheren a dangerous cult and refused to meet with them.

Back to the thread... I forgot to mention that the Catholic church gave the Nazis unofficial aproval because they thought it was better than godless communism. The Protestants openly supported the Nazis.

Zen-atheist wielding Occam's katana.

Jesus said, "Suppose ye that I am come to give peace on earth? I tell you, Nay; but rather division." - Luke 12:51

Nero
Rational VIP!
Nero's picture
User is offlineOffline
Folks, It is no surprise

Folks,

It is no surprise that the pope is going to attack atheists.  It's his JOB.  I think we should appreciate that we have an old guy in a white dress with red shoes to laugh at.  By the bye, has anyone else noted that Benedict prances instead of walking normally.  It is a case of "Methinks the lady doth protest too much."

"Tis better to rule in Hell than to serve in Heaven." -Lucifer

rab
rab's picture
User is offlineOffline
Wow. I wonder if the Pope

Wow.

I wonder if the Pope blames THISon atheists too. Are we to blame for the thousands of deaths in Iraq? Perhaps he should be asking, where is their god now? Even the chaplain admitted that Christians have failed too. As for the question about god, all he could say was that he (the chaplain) and god were with them. The latter one being an invisible presence of course.

Support the Separation of Church & State!
Freedom From Religion Foundation

geirj
geirj's picture
User is offlineOffline
It's no surprise, of

It's no surprise, of course. Just amusing that he didn't get around to it until we started getting all uppity.

Here's the full text in English:

http://www.vatican.va/holy_father/benedict_xvi/encyclicals/documents/hf_ben-xvi_enc_20071130_spe-salvi_en.html

Nobody I know was brainwashed into being an atheist.

Why Believe?

geirj
geirj's picture
User is offlineOffline
The Pope Says: Blame the Atheists

So, Pope Benedict XVI, aka CEO of the Catholic Church, released his Second Encyclical yesterday. Papal encyclicals are kind of the equivalent of the U.S. president's state of the union address.

But guess what - Pope Benny says atheists are to blame for all of the bad stuff that's going on in the world! I guess he was feeling left out of all the atheist-bashing that's been going on recently.

I haven't been able to find the full English translation yet, but here's a Reuters article with some highlights:

http://www.reuters.com/article/worldNews/idUSL3016839520071130?pageNumber=1&virtualBrandChannel=0

I think this encyclical needs to be skewered - at least the parts of it that trash atheism. I've alerted Kelly to its existence.

Here are some pieces from the Reuters article:

"A world marked by so much injustice, innocent suffering, and cynicism of power cannot be the work of a good God. A God with responsibility for such a world would not be a just God, much less a good God."

OK Benny, if God exists then is he not responsible for this world? You say "such a world" as if talking about another one besides the one we live on. But there is only one world, and if God exists then he's at least allowing these bad things to happen.

Technological progress is no threat to man. It's a threat to the shroud of ignorance you hold your people under. The more science proves, the less likely it is that God exists.

And - holy shit! The Pope and I actually agree on something - global warming is a problem!:

"We can free our life and the world from the poisons and contaminations that could destroy the present and the future. We can uncover the sources of creation and keep them unsullied, and in this way we can make a right use of creation, which comes to us as a gift..." he said.

Nobody I know was brainwashed into being an atheist.

Why Believe?

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
ProzacDeathWish's picture
User is offlineOffline
I suppose if the Pope's

I suppose if the Pope's latest anti-atheist propaganda doesn't have the desired effect they can always resort to their old habit of burning us at the stake.

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
    the pope and his are

the pope and his are truely dangerous .... Look hard at that sad picture, ....

, so laying of hands, the masses on it, healing the sick .... the king has no clothes, all get naked with zero quilt, keep the party going 24/7 , Louder, everyone is invited, all for one, one for all, melt into one, give it all away said the wise .... are you naked yet ?

shit , then the phone rang, ....