Ahmadenajihadamad

Crossover
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Ahmadenajihadamad

Iran's president got GRILLED. Anyone else enjoy that? I was happy that Columbia Universities dean called him "ignorant" and told him he "didn't have the intelectual capasity to answer their questions".

My Master has no desire to be merely victor in a debate: he did not come into the world to fight a battle of logic just
for the sake of winning it. --Charles Spurgeon

zntneo
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
I looked at the title of the

I looked at the title of the thread and i thought it was a random jumbling of letters, then i read it and i remembered that guy.

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Indeed. A lovely example of

Indeed.

A lovely example of discourtesy to a speaker they invited...

I hate ambushes. 

timmah3209
User is offlineOffline
From the clips I heard,

From the clips I heard, Ahmadinejad owned them... They asked him questions and he just didn't answer them and said random propaganda about other stuff... Columbia looked stupid not him.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Tyrant gets laughed at.

The president of Iran who spoke at a University last night said in his speech "We have no homosexuals in Iran". Upon that remark a roaring laughter permeated the audiance.

After the speach he claimed that he ment to say, "We dont have as many gays in Iran as the west".

In any case it was beautifull. Here is this dictator, who could have, in his own country, had anyone drug out of an audiance and jailed or exicuted for such "dissrespect".

So this to me shows the beauty of America. You cant be arrested for poking fun of, laughing at, blasphemy or criticism of a public figure. To watch that tyrant get laughed at was priceless. 

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

pariahjane
pariahjane's picture
User is offlineOffline
jcgadfly wrote: Indeed. A

jcgadfly wrote:

Indeed.

A lovely example of discourtesy to a speaker they invited...

I hate ambushes.

I haven't had the chance to sit and watch the whole thing, but from what I've seen and read, he was pretty much insulted the moment he got on stage.  Not cool, imo. 

If god takes life he's an indian giver

geirj
geirj's picture
User is offlineOffline
I lost a lot of respect for

I lost a lot of respect for Columbia when I heard the university president shit on Ahmadinejad for something like 15 minutes prior to his speech. Such a sad example of caving to the slightest bit of public pressure.

Nobody I know was brainwashed into being an atheist.

Why Believe?

Crossover
Theist
User is offlineOffline
I have to say. I liked the

I have to say. I liked the fact that Irans president was embarrased, but I dont think he should hav ebeen. I don't think he should have been invited to speak. Its a loose loose situation for America in the foreign world. If he comes and is welcomed America ist hought to embrase it's enemies and is weak in its support of Israel. Since he got insulted, people are going to talk about America being evil toward him and how he just wanted to be nice. It plays bad internationally. But then again anyone who says that they quote "want to destroy Israel and the United States" shouldn't be allowed on our soil.

My Master has no desire to be merely victor in a debate: he did not come into the world to fight a battle of logic just
for the sake of winning it. --Charles Spurgeon

Nero
Rational VIP!
Nero's picture
User is offlineOffline
That seems a little counter

That seems a little counter liberty.  I am proud to live in a society where such a person can be heard.  Can anyone say anything like that in Iran?  I should say not. 

"Tis better to rule in Hell than to serve in Heaven." -Lucifer

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Crossover wrote:

Crossover wrote:
I have to say. I liked the fact that Irans president was embarrased, but I dont think he should hav ebeen. I don't think he should have been invited to speak. Its a loose loose situation for America in the foreign world. If he comes and is welcomed America ist hought to embrase it's enemies and is weak in its support of Israel. Since he got insulted, people are going to talk about America being evil toward him and how he just wanted to be nice. It plays bad internationally. But then again anyone who says that they quote "want to destroy Israel and the United States" shouldn't be allowed on our soil.

If Ahmadinajad had said that, you'd have a point. He was quoting the Ayatollah Khomeini (he even attributed the quote) and the quote referred to the Zionist regime (it even uses the word regime) governing Israel, not the nation. The media created and ran with the meaning you have cited. You've run into the same problem with this many of us have with the Bible - both were written and "translated" by people with agendas.

And yes, the regimes currently running Israel and the US should be removed.

This is not to say that I like this guy - I think he's as crazy as Mr. Bush for the same reasons (religious insanity). I just have this thing for the truth

"I do this real moron thing, and it's called thinking. And apparently I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions."
— George Carlin

Conn_in_Brooklyn
Conn_in_Brooklyn's picture
User is offlineOffline
I think Lee Bollinger was

I think Lee Bollinger was stuck in a tough spot ... He invited a middle-eastern, Islamo-fascist dictator to his university to speak (for who knows what reason), got grilled by the media (the pundits, Fox News, WSJ and the NY Post) and had to act fast ... hence the hyperbolic and melodramatic attacks he sent Ahmadinejad's way ... without the media pressure, I still think he would have challenged the dictator, but just not as harshly.  I'm not sure which would have been more powerful, or brought the discourse to a more fruitful level honestly ...

I was uneasy about the whole thing given that, you know, he is responsible for the death of American troops in Iraq and Iraqi citizens as well - and it sort of makes me sick to think he was walking around the city I work in, enjoying the freedoms we have here and defending his "right" to keep his fellow Iranians in subjection ... but ultimately, I think it says something to the extent that no one can claim with ignorantly dismissed this guy; he had his forum and his ideology was/is roundly rejected.

... I do know that if he set foot below 14th street, he would have been torn to pieces ...

I'm off myspace.com so you can only find me here: http://geoffreymgolia.blogspot.com

evil religion
evil religion's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:

Brian37 wrote:

The president of Iran who spoke at a University last night said in his speech "We have no homosexuals in Iran". Upon that remark a roaring laughter permeated the audiance.

After the speach he claimed that he ment to say, "We dont have as many gays in Iran as the west".

In any case it was beautifull. Here is this dictator, who could have, in his own country, had anyone drug out of an audiance and jailed or exicuted for such "dissrespect".

So this to me shows the beauty of America. You cant be arrested for poking fun of, laughing at, blasphemy or criticism of a public figure. To watch that tyrant get laughed at was priceless.

Minor niggle.

He is not a dictator. He is a democratically elected leader. It is interesting to note however that he is not the supreme leader of Iran. The supreme leader is elected by a panel of experts (read clerics) and is currently Grand Ayatollah Ali Khamenei. Whilst we can argue that this "democracy" is somewhat of a sham where the real people in charge are the religious leaders who really select who gets elected and who select the supreme leader it is none the less erronious to call the president an actual dictator. Hes not.

He is, however, still a total cunt and I;m glad he got humiliated.

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
jcgadfly wrote: Crossover

jcgadfly wrote:

Crossover wrote:

If Ahmadinajad had said that, you'd have a point. He was quoting the Ayatollah Khomeini (he even attributed the quote) and the quote referred to the Zionist regime (it even uses the word regime) governing Israel, not the nation. The media created and ran with the meaning you have cited. You've run into the same problem with this many of us have with the Bible - both were written and "translated" by people with agendas.

And yes, the regimes currently running Israel and the US should be removed.

This is not to say that I like this guy - I think he's as crazy as Mr. Bush for the same reasons (religious insanity). I just have this thing for the truth

Addendum - I may have misnamed people - chalk it up to fighting against heavy decongestants.

Also, as far as which president was embarassed - I think both were equally stupid. 

"I do this real moron thing, and it's called thinking. And apparently I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions."
— George Carlin

Conn_in_Brooklyn
Conn_in_Brooklyn's picture
User is offlineOffline
evil religion

evil religion wrote:
Brian37 wrote:

Minor niggle.

He is not a dictator. He is a democratically elected leader. It is interesting to note however that he is not the supreme leader of Iran. The supreme leader is elected by a panel of experts (read clerics) and is currently Grand Ayatollah Ali Khamenei. Whilst we can argue that this "democracy" is somewhat of a sham where the real people in charge are the religious leaders who really select who gets elected and who select the supreme leader it is none the less erronious to call the president an actual dictator. Hes not.

He is, however, still a total cunt and I;m glad he got humiliated.

Not to get all melodramatic here but Hitler was elected too ... While it is said that much of the political power of Iran is vested in the Supreme Guide vis-a-vis the Assembly of Experts, he is essentially the elected despot of the country, with way more executive power than other heads of state ... Remember, this is a man who advocates "the isolation of Iran from Western influences, and encouraged the faithful to fight against democracy as a 'misleading' idea. In November 2002 in a pre-sermon speech in Tehran, Yazdi maintained that 'the prophets of God did not believe in pluralism. They believed that only one idea was right." & Iran "did not have a revolution in order to have democracy, but to have an Islamic government." (source)

While "Islamo-fascist dictator" may be a term more visceral than technical, there is more than a nugget of truth to the title ...

I'm off myspace.com so you can only find me here: http://geoffreymgolia.blogspot.com

stillmatic
stillmatic's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote: The

Brian37 wrote:

If you were like me and drew the connection to the fact that homosexuals are executed in Iran to that comment, then it wasn't funny.

His speech writers / coaches definately have done their research on the West. He never answers a question and constantly plays off our need to blame ourselves for problems.

"A proof is a proof. What kind of a proof? It's a proof. A proof is a proof. And when you have a good proof, it's because it's proven." -- former Canadian Prime Minister Jean Chretien