what faith you

mephibosheth
TheistTroll
mephibosheth's picture
User is offlineOffline
what faith you

You can't prove there isn't a God. You believe it - I believe you are sincere - but that's your faith. You can't prove it.

I believe there is a God. I believe He designed, made the world and everything in it. I believe the sun, moon, stars, and penguins show great design - just to name a couple.

I think you guys have more faith than I do when it comes to believing preposterous stuff. My hat's off to your great faith - it's just illogical faith to me.

Man could not even make one acorn or one bee - this is evident to you guys. You can't explain magnetism or gravity - yet you think there was no designer? Great faith I say.

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
mephibosheth

mephibosheth wrote:
deludedgod wrote:

This is not acceptable. This is philosophy. You must address your interlocutors and their argument. You cannot dismiss your interlocutors out of hand. Taking quotes from American Idol does not constitute, in any way, shape, or form, a proper response to an argument or set of arguments. If you are to engage in proper discourse, you must do precisely what I have done in this regard. Here, on this forum, you cannot be silenced simply for these actions, but I can assure you with confidence, that if, for example, I began the debate with the opening statement and list in my previous post, and you started in the manner that you did, the arbiter and the moderator would tell you to stand down.

If you are to claim to have addressed my post, you must do so in a coherent manner, with proper rational argument and discourse. Your prose does not do this and is of unacceptably poor quality. You are not a judge on American Idol. You cannot tell me "It was horrible from start to finish" without a full and proper dissection of why. You began your paragraph with "I had to look up all the words" and ended with "your argument was terrible". This is clearly highly problematic. Furthermore, the parables and metaphors are unnecessary and do not serve a purpose. Cut them out. It is necessary, in proper discourse, for you to be cold and objective in your evaluation of your interlocutor.

Allow me to demonstrate what I ask of you. This below is my dissection of your post. My request is that you return with a similar style of response, from which proper discourse can proceed. Observe:

This does not constitute a proper argument. It is called an argument from incoherence. If it were applied to any area of discourse, it would quickly be reduced to the absurd. This is because if somebody points out inconsistencies, incoherencies, contradictions, problems etc. they are not claiming to lack an ability to understand that concept which is under discussion. In order to demonstrate that your interlocutor does not understand a concept he is attempting to demonstrate incoherent, you must attack his understanding of that concept first, in a proper fashion. For example, suppose I was having a discourse on the scientific method, and my opponent said "Protons cannot be seen with the naked eye, and therefore cannot be investigated". It would be unacceptable for me to simply assert "You do not understand the scientific method". Rather, it would be necessary to explain the concept of indirect empericism and how proper scientific methodology can glean complex information about properties and things which cannot be directly observed. To put it shortly, "You cannot understand X" is ad hoc and does not constitute a response to an argument. In order to make this knowledge claim, you must demonstrate where your opposition erred.

Unless you can demonstrate, in a line-by-line fashion, that certain words or concepts employed in my post were incoherent or nonsensical, this merely constitutes rhetoric on your part. It is similar to claiming

X is verbose

Therefore, X is wrong

Comments along this line, as an introduction to an attack on your opposition's argument, would constitute a variant on the poisoning the well fallacy, since judgemental language is immediately employed which hence raises questions about the objectivity of the opposition. For example, suppose I was debating the possibility of the Higg's Boson particle existing, and I was arguing against it, and I opened my statement with "The stupid, idiotic, refuted idea of the Higg's Boson..." I would hence undermine my claim to Objective judgment.

This is simply a personal insult coupled with more judgemental language coupled with an argument from assertion. It does not actually address any of the arguments made. This entire paragraph has no relevance whatsoever to the argument at hand, and in formal debating, it would be rejected by the arbitration committee or the moderator. In addition, it is comprised mostly of your personal feelings on the matter, which are irrelevant.

Again, this constitutes an assertion about your own opinion unbacked. Your personal feelings pertaining to this matter are irrelevant to the discourse. You must address the arguments of your opponent in a proper fashion. That is to say, you must address them directly, not sidetrack towards rhetorical assertions that use analogies from television shows.

Hence see my previous refutation of the same assertion. This argument is fallacious.

This is emotional rhetoric combined with judgemental language combined with a non sequitur. As a variant on the argument I refuted above, refer to Section II of my line-by-line rebuttal to your statements.

Keep your personal feelings out of the debate. They are irrelevant.

Judgemental language combined with an Argument From Pity. This, again, is not relevant to the discourse.

This is poisoning the well combined with judgemental language. If you start off an attack on your interlocutor's arguments in this manner, you have hence undermined your objective judgement. Since you did not follow this assertion with any proper, rational examination of the arguments under discussion, it becomes even more unacceptable.

See above. This is a textbook poisoning the well fallacy combined with Judgemental Language. It is a also a variant on a red herring fallacy, since you have yet to address the arguments in a proper fashion.

Keep your personal feelings and emotions out of the debate.

This is not relevant to the discourse. I must remind you of the arguments you are supposed to be addressing.

This is an argument from assertion combined with judgemental language. You claim I have a "reasoning problem". This is a form of judgemental language and, in addition, it is an assertion on your part. Furthermore, the fragment "I believe you have no excuse understanding there is a God" is unclear, and irrelevant for several reasons:

The first is, asserting that your interlocutor "has no excuse for X" constitutes your personal feelings and is an irrelevant assertion.

The second is that this sentence fragment is not clear

What you "believe" is irrelevant to the discoure. What you can justify is not.

I hence await a proper examination of the arguments under discussion.

There. This is precisely the sort of cold, objective debate response that is necessary in this sort of discourse. Do not take a quote en bloc and respond in that fashion. Do not insert parables or metaphors. Do not combine judgemental language with your own opinion on the status of your interlocutor. Do not insult your interloctur directly. Do not insert your emotions into the debate. Do not divert towards different topics.

Good Luck. It is now your turn to make a rebutal.

Deludedgod,

I read your this post, looked up the words, etc, whew...

The "poisoning the well" thing I would liken to "muddying the water" which seems to be what your approach is and does.

You have certain ways you want me to present myself to you, argue with you, PROVE myself to you....

I see a similarity between that and how you DEMAND God present Himself and prove Himself to you, old deludedgod. Yes, the universe looks on, waiting for God to impress deludedgod. No, God sending His Son, fulfilling all the prophecies, Jesus raising the dead, healing the blind, preaching good news to the poor, dying for our sins, saying "Father forgive them for they don't know what they are doing, destroying Death, ascending to the throne of God, all things put in subjection to Him - didn't impress deludedgod....

I certainly in my simplemindedness, my vapant earth-level comparisons throwing practice soft balls to the rational high level moderator slugger haven't impressed deludedgod.

It's like you're looking for God with a magnet.

What product have philosophers come up with? They were asking the same tired questions when Paul addressed them at Mars Hill!

I have ask you what your product is and/or application - you have tried to take me through a maze that essentially says, "there is none" and "ain't it great!"

If you have such great answers to the questions you raise why - as the great teacher you try to present yourself as - can't you make them so a child can understand them? Don't keep the children's bread from them!

Jesus, the TRULY GREAT TEACHER OF ALL TIME used simple parables and metaphors which didn't withhold the Bread of Life from even children. You obscure your teachings and delight in making them hieroglyphic such that only the Phylosophy PHD can follow their ramblings which go nowhere.

Time is flying Deludedgod. It would be most efficient for you to read the Bible from first to last. About half way in you will find this proverb: "The spirit of man is the lamp of the Lord, searching all his innermost parts." Hopefully this light will come on for you and the search will turn productive.

Mephibosheth (simply simple simplicity)

I'm sure you're looking for DG's rebuttal but...Where to begin?

Let's see - All these things that you tell DG are proof of God (even though your OP says you can't prove or disprove God).

God sent his son (who is also God) - you'd think more than just his disciples would've noticed enough to write about it (Don't bring up Josephus et al. It will just be painful for you.)

Fulfilled all the prophecies - easy to do when people are creating the character to fit/

Jesus raising the dead, healing the blind and lame - again why didn't more people than his disciples notice this enough to write it down  

Preaching good news to the poor - People were already doing that - the writers found a rabbi they liked and crafted Jesus around him 

Dying for sins - other myths have that element and Paul canceled all that out in Romans 4 before the gospels were written.  

Destroying death - people aren't dying anymore? Quick, somebody dig my grandpa and my brother in law up! 

Ascending and ruling - again, other myths have those elements. 

You knw why people are asking  "same tired questions when Paul addressed them at Mars Hill!"? No one has answered them (sorry "Goddidit so stop thinking about it and shut up with your questions" isn't an answer)

Didn't Jesus tell his disciples that he used parables to keep people from knowing the Kingdom of Heaven? Matt 13:10-17 says he did. Shoots your "great teacher" argument full of holes, doesn't it?

I wouldn't be surprised if DG has read the Bible from cover to cover more than once (as have many here). Or do people have to already wholeheartedly believe the Bible before they can understand the words? If that's the case it makes a really bad missionary tool - can't go into all the world and preach from the Bible if folks have to believe it before they can understand it.

"I do this real moron thing, and it's called thinking. And apparently I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions."
— George Carlin

deludedgod
Rational VIP!ScientistDeluded God
deludedgod's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote: The "poisoning the

Quote:

The "poisoning the well" thing I would liken to "muddying the water" which seems to be what your approach is and does. 

This is incorrect. To state that somebody is poisoning the well is that their opening statement is phrased in such a way that they announce the intention of discrediting their opposition's argument without considering it. I provided an example above.

On the other hand "muddying the waters" is different, and refers to being deliberately unclear and incoherent. When you assert where your opponent is unclear or incoherent, you must specify it very precisely, otherwise it is simply a naked assertion.

Quote:

You have certain ways you want me to present myself to you, argue with you, PROVE myself to you....

Yes, in the manner most conducive to rational discourse, which means remove your emotions from the table, do not prosetylize, and actually evaluate and respond to the arguments made by your opponent. You have not done this and your post constitutes a red herring divergence from this fact. THis does not seem a great deal to ask.

Quote:

I see a similarity between that and how you DEMAND God present Himself and prove Himself to you, old deludedgod. Yes, the universe looks on, waiting for God to impress deludedgod.

Refer to Section II of my above post. This does not constitute a response to arguments against the existence of God. It constitutes a begging the question fallacy: The very issue under discussion is whether God exists. Hence you cannot assume God exists in order to counter one of the points, because this is the very issue under consideration.

Quote:

No, God sending His Son, fulfilling all the prophecies, Jesus raising the dead, healing the blind, preaching good news to the poor, dying for our sins, saying "Father forgive them for they don't know what they are doing, destroying Death, ascending to the throne of God, all things put in subjection to Him - didn't impress deludedgod....

Again, begging the question. I do not believe these events actually occured. There is no evidence to support that they did. You cannot assume they did in order to prove the point under discussion, since this is the very issue under consideration. Again, you are presuming God exists in order to refute arguments that challenge the existence of God. You are reasoning in a circle.

Quote:

I certainly in my simplemindedness, my vapant earth-level comparisons throwing practice soft balls to the rational high level moderator slugger haven't impressed deludedgod.

This requires decoding.

Quote:

It's like you're looking for God with a magnet.

This statement has nothing to do with to my arguments, and is irrelevant. If it was able to be deciphered, I might be able to make more constructive critcisms of it.

Quote:

What product have philosophers come up with?

Philosophy is, broadly speaking, the gaining knowledge of the world and its nature by thinking and reasoning, as opposed, for example, to science, which does the same by empiricism and testing. Philosophy is a key source of human knowledge about the nature of the world and its existence, and provides a key methodological framework for a large number of human endeavours, from epistemology to ethics and everything in between. It helps us to understand where we came from, who we are, our nature, our minds, our external world, our being, the nature of the world we inhabit, and how we should act in this world, all by virtue of reasoned discourse. 

Quote:

They were asking the same tired questions when Paul addressed them at Mars Hill!

This is an assertion. Clarify. What "questions" and "answers" are you referring to?

Quote:

I have ask you what your product is and/or application - you have tried to take me through a maze that essentially says, "there is none" and "ain't it great!"

That is because the words "product" and "application" are irrelevant, although I have listed applications of philosophical discourse above. I am not selling you a piece of merchandise. We are having a discourse on philosophy. The only thing that matters are knowledge claims and their rational evaluation. "Product" and "application" are "red herrings" because we are not discussing whether or not X has "application"! We are discussing whether or not it is a true representation of the world we inhabit. I've told you this numerous times. Surely it is easy to grasp by now? That is the nature of philosophy.

Quote:

as the great teacher you try to present yourself as

Keep the judgemental language out of it, please.

Quote:

If you have such great answers to the questions you raise why - as the great teacher you try to present yourself as - can't you make them so a child can understand them? Don't keep the children's bread from them!

For the same reason that I could not explain to a small child how contour integrals in the electromagnetic field-flux equations derive calculabe scalar field qualities, or how the partial differentiation of a topological volume expression with respect to a single linear variable produce a calculable expression, or how the Notch signalling receptor is activated by proxy from the trans-Golgi network in specialized cells during differentiation. Answers to the nature of existence and the universe and arguments pertaining to these matters are not likely to be simple. On the contrary, proper appreciable understanding of a large number of independant fields of inquiry require large amounts of complex background knowledge, knowledge which I have taken the time to acquire. I presume some of this background knowledge on part of those I debate with because otherwise it would be difficult to get off the ground. On the other hand, if you wish for me to go through certain concepts, I would be happy to. I only require a direct and coherent question that I can answer, or a direct and coherent argument formed from premises and conclusions. In other words, substance is the key.

I haven't claimed to be a "teacher". I'm not trying to "teach" anything. I have presented certain arguments. You claim to not understand them, then you accuse me of incoherency when you haven't even asked me to perhaps clarify certain arguments or terms, which I would be happy to do so were it not for the fact that you incessantly avoid like the plague saying anything which is directly relevant to the discussion, such as an open question on the matter. 

Quote:

Jesus, the TRULY GREAT TEACHER OF ALL TIME used simple parables and metaphors which didn't withhold the Bread of Life from even children.

Firstly, using Cap Locks does not add anything to your argument. Second, this analogy is irrelevant. Analogy will only take you so far, to understand complex concepts in detail, you must understand them without the analogy. This holds true for any discipline, not merely philosophy. I can tell you that a certain concept is "like" a familiar situation or concept, but that will not constitute a satisfying technical explanation. I would not be able to explain, for example, concepts such as line integrals or protein folding or ATPase pumps or synaptogenesis by virtue of merely analogy. If we are having a technical discussion about philosophy regarding the nature of the universe...expect complex terminology and ideas to crop up. If some of these are new, it is your responsibility to find out yourself. We call this research. Perhaps you have heard of it.

Quote:

You obscure your teachings and delight in making them hieroglyphic such that only the Phylosophy PHD can follow their ramblings which go nowhere.

This sentence contains several contradictions and factual errors. Firstly, it is meaningless to assert that your opponents argument is too complex to be understood, and then assert that your opponent has no argument, as you have done. Secondly, I do not have a PhD in Philosophy. I am a science guy, first and foremost. I do have formal credentials in philosophy, but I earned much of my understanding in philosophy the real way: Self study. You see those eight arguments above? I formulated six of those eight before the age of 18, simply by reading books and educating myself. Of the various philosophers, the most highly recommended, in my opinion, and a key influence on my arguments, is Baruch de Spinoza, and his treatise Ethics, to give some background. Now, if I when I was a child could dedicate that kind of time and patience to contemplating the existence of God, surely you, as a mature adult, can do me a similar courtesy? 

"Physical reality” isn’t some arbitrary demarcation. It is defined in terms of what we can systematically investigate, directly or not, by means of our senses. It is preposterous to assert that the process of systematic scientific reasoning arbitrarily excludes “non-physical explanations” because the very notion of “non-physical explanation” is contradictory.

-Me

Books about atheism

Blind_Chance
Blind_Chance's picture
User is offlineOffline
mephibosheth

mephibosheth wrote:
Blind_Chance wrote:

mephibosheth ...friend. Christianity is one among thousand different religions, it is not even the oldest one. What makes you so sure that you follow true God ? Bah even Christianity has a lot of different sects and factions.

Ecrasez l'infame!

Ecrasez l'infame! ("Whatever you do, crush the infamy." --- Voltaire)

Bllind_Chance,

I am a trader in fine pearls. Since I have seen this Pearl, no pearl has even caused a second look.

Ah, you see imperfection, but where! - in fallen man! Focus on the Sacrifice, the Lamb of God, the King of Kings - He is Perfect! You will find no flaw in Him! My confidence is in Him - not in man's perfection. "Fix your thoughts on Jesus".

Mephibosheth (this Pearl's for you!)

Do you realize that you speak like preacher ? I wonder...anyway lets back to subject.

I have some questions to your last statement. I understand that you see Christian God as only one Perfect Entity only one capable to do only Good and to be always right. Because I noticed that you use a lot of quotas from Bible, I can assume that you take Bible as His words if not written by Himself then at least completely approved by Him, am I correct ?

Is Bible the way I should go to understand Him ? And because all that misinterpreting/misunderstanding problems which you mentioned, who and why has right to interpret Bible in only one True way ?

Ecrasez l'infame!

mephibosheth
TheistTroll
mephibosheth's picture
User is offlineOffline
jcgadfly wrote:   I'm

jcgadfly wrote:

I'm sure you're looking for DG's rebuttal but...Where to begin?

Let's see - All these things that you tell DG are proof of God (even though your OP says you can't prove or disprove God).

God sent his son (who is also God) - you'd think more than just his disciples would've noticed enough to write about it (Don't bring up Josephus et al. It will just be painful for you.)

Fulfilled all the prophecies - easy to do when people are creating the character to fit/

Jesus raising the dead, healing the blind and lame - again why didn't more people than his disciples notice this enough to write it down

Preaching good news to the poor - People were already doing that - the writers found a rabbi they liked and crafted Jesus around him

Dying for sins - other myths have that element and Paul canceled all that out in Romans 4 before the gospels were written.

Destroying death - people aren't dying anymore? Quick, somebody dig my grandpa and my brother in law up!

Ascending and ruling - again, other myths have those elements.

You knw why people are asking "same tired questions when Paul addressed them at Mars Hill!"? No one has answered them (sorry "Goddidit so stop thinking about it and shut up with your questions" isn't an answer)

Didn't Jesus tell his disciples that he used parables to keep people from knowing the Kingdom of Heaven? Matt 13:10-17 says he did. Shoots your "great teacher" argument full of holes, doesn't it?

I wouldn't be surprised if DG has read the Bible from cover to cover more than once (as have many here). Or do people have to already wholeheartedly believe the Bible before they can understand the words? If that's the case it makes a really bad missionary tool - can't go into all the world and preach from the Bible if folks have to believe it before they can understand it.

JCGadfly,

Where to begin describes it for me as well.

I can't prove God to you. I wish I could. The Bible doesn't even try to (in my understanding) - it assumes; for example, it starts out "In the beginning God created ..." as I mentioned. My efforts to encourage you to believe in God are not from a bad motive in my opinion. I don't want anything from you. You're right however - I can't restrain the wind and I can't prove God to you.

You don't really believe Jesus even existed (from my memory of what you said) so the further discussion of that is probably pointless.

You did misunderstand what I meant by "destroying Death". Jesus came to deliver all who have been in bondage their whole life to the fear of death. When Death sucked the "Life" out of Jesus it met something new. Jesus had Life in Himself. Jesus had never sinned. Jesus was not under the curse "he that sins will die", because Jesus never sinned.

However, Jesus became sin for us, became a curse (cursed is everyone who dies on a tree) and thus paid the price for our sins by His death. Death could not hold Him. He took the gates of death posts and all and carried them to the top of Heaven. (This metaphor comes from Samson's action in Judges 16. Jesus is our Samson, our Deliverer).

The apostles don't seem to be good candidates to die for something they are not certain of. Jesus made sure they knew it was Him after He had come back to life. He went to extreem measures and invited them to see His wounds and make sure they knew He had bones and flesh.

As far as the same tired questions and your rebuttal, I'm not trying to say "accept that God has done it on blind faith". I'm saying make a serious and honest investigation of whether this is true.

Mephibosheth

mephibosheth
TheistTroll
mephibosheth's picture
User is offlineOffline
  Deludedgod, Respectfully

Deludedgod,

Respectfully I admit I cannot debate you. I have a word document with definitions I have tried to look up, but it's no use. Some of the terms have several definitions, etc.

Does that mean there's no God? I believe with all my heart and mind and spirit that God is, directs every raindrop, knows every atom, - the short version is He's on top of His game. I have no doubts the Scripture is perfectly true, Jesus is God's Son, lives in me along with the Holy Spirit, etc.

Saying that - I understand you don't buy probably any of it. You are right I have tried to encourage you to believe in God and Jesus and I still want that but I know you reject it.

What if you are right about everything you believe or however you would describe it - don't believe? What about me then? I can't imagine being happier or more secure or motivated or living with a risidual joy. I am living in a palace inside and it gets brighter and happier all the time, every day. What happens to me if you are right?

What if I am right about believing God is and has sent His Son to seek and save the lost and you are refusing Him? That is not a pleasant thought to me even if you could care less.

Please answer this two sided question. What if you're right versus what if I'm right? What's the consequence to me versus the consequence to you?

Mephibosheth (dinner conversation)

mephibosheth
TheistTroll
mephibosheth's picture
User is offlineOffline
Blind_Chance wrote:   Do

Blind_Chance wrote:

Do you realize that you speak like preacher ? I wonder...anyway lets back to subject.

I have some questions to your last statement. I understand that you see Christian God as only one Perfect Entity only one capable to do only Good and to be always right. Because I noticed that you use a lot of quotas from Bible, I can assume that you take Bible as His words if not written by Himself then at least completely approved by Him, am I correct ?

Is Bible the way I should go to understand Him ? And because all that misinterpreting/misunderstanding problems which you mentioned, who and why has right to interpret Bible in only one True way ?

Blind_Chance,

Jesus honored the Scriptures before and after His resurrection. On the road to Emmaus (end/Luke) He started in the Old Testament and showed them how they (Scriptures) had told of this mystery of salvation through His death. He honored the Scriptures always, quoted from them. Yes learn of God from the Bible.

As far as interpretation, it does lend itself to be misunderstood, misused, twisted. Anything good in life can be polluted - that doesn't mean that good is not good.

As far as who is the authority on interpretating Scripture - I wouldn't leave that to anybody other than yourself if I were you. It's too important. You should check it out yourself.

For me, it proves itself to me in every way. It resonates in my soul. It picks me up where I am and lifts and points me to where I see (through the eyes of faith) I want to go.

I do preach, but I am a carpenter.

I think if you read the book of Ecclesiastes we are led there in a search for what we are looking for in life - what deserves our whole heart, life energy, focus. Solomon had credentials to lead us in that search. It's efficient to let him do the research. The conclusion is: fear God and keep His commandments, this is the duty of man.

It's not efficient to spend all of life honeymooning with new ideas, earth pleasures, pursuing wealth, pursuing world wisdom. Accept Solomon's research and go with God. That's my advice. But sort it out yourself.

Mephibosheth (redeemed fool of fools)

deludedgod
deludedgod's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:  Respectfully I

Quote:

Respectfully I admit I cannot debate you. I have a word document with definitions I have tried to look up, but it's no use. Some of the terms have several definitions, etc.

I have no problems with that. The only thing I have a problem with is that we've been arguing for 500 posts and half a year.

Quote:

Does that mean there's no God?

No. I believe there isn't, for reasons outlined. But I could be wrong, like anything else. These positions are not monolithic and unchanging.

Quote:

What if you are right about everything you believe

Good grief! I never claimed to be infallible.

Quote:

What about me then?

I don't follow.

Quote:

What happens to me if you are right?

Nothing "happens" to you. It is simply that if I am correct in this position, then you are wrong. Conversely, if you are right, then I am wrong. For that reason, I have learned not to become overly attached to certain theories, ideas, either in science or philosophy. This is whay makes our discourse diffuclt. For you, the existence of God, specifically one God, is very important for living life. To me, it isn't, because I never became attached to it. To me, it is just an interesting philosophical question, that may or may not be true, that I think about when I have some free time. Although I do not alot it any more time of consideration than any other philosophical area of interest.

Quote:

That is not a pleasant thought to me even if you could care less.

I imagine it is not. But Pascal's Wager is a poor argument.

Quote:

What if you're right versus what if I'm right? What's the consequence to me versus the consequence to you?

You are familiar with the French Mathematician Blaise Pascal? He made an identical argument. 

Blaise Pascal argued that someone of the fence should choose to believe in God because of the outcome. Pascal was the first to realize that God could not be proven, and it terrified him. He therefore argued that somebody should choose to believe in God because if God did not exist, there would be no consequences after death. On the other hand, if someone chose not to believe in God, and were wrong, they would face eternal hellfire. Hence a believer was in a win-win situation. Or, rather:

Normal 0 false false false EN-US ZH-CN X-NONE /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-priority:99; mso-style-qformat:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin-top:0in; mso-para-margin-right:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:10.0pt; mso-para-margin-left:0in; line-height:115%; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:11.0pt; font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif"; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin;}

Believer: God Exists (wins)

Non-Believer: God Exists (loses)

Believer: God does not Exist (no loss)

Non-Believer: God does not Exist (no loss)

Problems with this are obvious. For one, it is an argument from adverse consequences. Beliefs are beliefs regardless of volition, and I could not convince myself of something which I do not consider correct solely on virtue of the consequences of it. That would be hollow belief. Second, the wager has multiple false dichotomies, such as the number of possible Gods, and the possibility of a benign or uncaring God, etc.ad infinitum.

"Physical reality” isn’t some arbitrary demarcation. It is defined in terms of what we can systematically investigate, directly or not, by means of our senses. It is preposterous to assert that the process of systematic scientific reasoning arbitrarily excludes “non-physical explanations” because the very notion of “non-physical explanation” is contradictory.

-Me

Books about atheism

mephibosheth
TheistTroll
mephibosheth's picture
User is offlineOffline
deludedgod wrote: You are

deludedgod wrote:

You are familiar with the French Mathematician Blaise Pascal? He made an identical argument.

Blaise Pascal argued that someone of the fence should choose to believe in God because of the outcome. Pascal was the first to realize that God could not be proven, and it terrified him. He therefore argued that somebody should choose to believe in God because if God did not exist, there would be no consequences after death. On the other hand, if someone chose not to believe in God, and were wrong, they would face eternal hellfire. Hence a believer was in a win-win situation. Or, rather:

Normal 0 false false false EN-US ZH-CN X-NONE /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-priority:99; mso-style-qformat:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin-top:0in; mso-para-margin-right:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:10.0pt; mso-para-margin-left:0in; line-height:115%; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:11.0pt; font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif"; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin;}

Believer: God Exists (wins)

Non-Believer: God Exists (loses)

Believer: God does not Exist (no loss)

Non-Believer: God does not Exist (no loss)

Problems with this are obvious. For one, it is an argument from adverse consequences. Beliefs are beliefs regardless of volition, and I could not convince myself of something which I do not consider correct solely on virtue of the consequences of it. That would be hollow belief. Second, the wager has multiple false dichotomies, such as the number of possible Gods, and the possibility of a benign or uncaring God, etc.ad infinitum.

Dulce et Decorum est Pro Dei mori

Dulce et Decorum est Pro Dei mori (It is sweet and fitting to die)

Deludedgod,

I would compare the sweetness of that dying (Dulce et Decorum est Pro Dei morit ) to buying a home. If you can afford it - it can be a blessing. If you can't - it's a curse.

It's interesting you mention the mathematician. I went off to school to study math and become a math teacher. As you have observed I really resist putting Scriptures and beliefs in mathmatical terms.

I'm not criticizing your presented theory when I say that but I think a lot of Scripture has been misused that way when a verse or two has been plugged into a formula and solved for the desired answer. Verses have been taken out of context ad naseum (hey how do you like that - ad naseum - is that right?).

I wouldn't encourage believing in God or radical change of mind on that math basis - nor a legal basis, since you can't earn what I'm talking about either (as in earn your salvation). I would encourage radical deep heart bleeding change, repentance is the term on the basis of the grace of God. In other words the motive would be love of God. It would have to happen with the help of God - God would have to help you see the truth of the gospel, "open your eyes to the well of living water" is the metaphor I would use.

As I see the question it is a tragedy for you to miss out on the grace of God. Its simplicity is a problem, because I think you would want it to be infinitly hard - a general problem of man - for your glory. But salvation is totally God's glory. That's where you would have to give up your throne - humble yourself before God.

That probably all seems foreign and unthinkable to you - just like dipping in the Jordan 7 times seemed disgusting and unthinkable and "too easy" to Naaman (2 Kings 5). But what a tragedy for him to go home a leper and you a spiritual leper when the solution is so at hand and so simple. It's an enigma.

Mephibosheth

deludedgod
deludedgod's picture
User is offlineOffline
You've misinterpreted my

You've misinterpreted my quote. Dulce et Decorum est Pro Dei Mori means "It is sweet and fitting to die for one's God". It is a direct reference to a poem by Wilfred Owen, the last line:

The Old Lie: Dulce et Decorum est Pro Patria Mori

The title of Owen's Poem, Dulce et Decorum est, is an ironic statement about the absurdity of warfare. My statement paraphrases it directly, in the context of religion, a statement of the absurdity of religious belief and martyrdom.

-Me

Books about atheism

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
mephibosheth

mephibosheth wrote:
jcgadfly wrote:

I'm sure you're looking for DG's rebuttal but...Where to begin?

God sent his son (who is also God) - you'd think more than just his disciples would've noticed enough to write about it (Don't bring up Josephus et al. It will just be painful for you.)

Fulfilled all the prophecies - easy to do when people are creating the character to fit/

Jesus raising the dead, healing the blind and lame - again why didn't more people than his disciples notice this enough to write it down

Preaching good news to the poor - People were already doing that - the writers found a rabbi they liked and crafted Jesus around him

Dying for sins - other myths have that element and Paul canceled all that out in Romans 4 before the gospels were written.

Destroying death - people aren't dying anymore? Quick, somebody dig my grandpa and my brother in law up!

Ascending and ruling - again, other myths have those elements.

You knw why people are asking "same tired questions when Paul addressed them at Mars Hill!"? No one has answered them (sorry "Goddidit so stop thinking about it and shut up with your questions" isn't an answer)

Didn't Jesus tell his disciples that he used parables to keep people from knowing the Kingdom of Heaven? Matt 13:10-17 says he did. Shoots your "great teacher" argument full of holes, doesn't it?

I wouldn't be surprised if DG has read the Bible from cover to cover more than once (as have many here). Or do people have to already wholeheartedly believe the Bible before they can understand the words? If that's the case it makes a really bad missionary tool - can't go into all the world and preach from the Bible if folks have to believe it before they can understand it.

JCGadfly,

Where to begin describes it for me as well.

I can't prove God to you. I wish I could. The Bible doesn't even try to (in my understanding) - it assumes; for example, it starts out "In the beginning God created ..." as I mentioned. My efforts to encourage you to believe in God are not from a bad motive in my opinion. I don't want anything from you. You're right however - I can't restrain the wind and I can't prove God to you.

You don't really believe Jesus even existed (from my memory of what you said) so the further discussion of that is probably pointless.

You did misunderstand what I meant by "destroying Death". Jesus came to deliver all who have been in bondage their whole life to the fear of death. When Death sucked the "Life" out of Jesus it met something new. Jesus had Life in Himself. Jesus had never sinned. Jesus was not under the curse "he that sins will die", because Jesus never sinned.

However, Jesus became sin for us, became a curse (cursed is everyone who dies on a tree) and thus paid the price for our sins by His death. Death could not hold Him. He took the gates of death posts and all and carried them to the top of Heaven. (This metaphor comes from Samson's action in Judges 16. Jesus is our Samson, our Deliverer).

The apostles don't seem to be good candidates to die for something they are not certain of. Jesus made sure they knew it was Him after He had come back to life. He went to extreem measures and invited them to see His wounds and make sure they knew He had bones and flesh.

As far as the same tired questions and your rebuttal, I'm not trying to say "accept that God has done it on blind faith". I'm saying make a serious and honest investigation of whether this is true.

Mephibosheth

I really wish you could see what you're doing. 

You say you can't prove your God exists.

Yet you bring all these things that the Bible says Jesus did as proof that your God exists.   

You also bring up the old "The apostles wouldn't have died for a lie" argument (again as proof that your God exists).

You're busting your hump trying to do something you claim you can't do. 

"I do this real moron thing, and it's called thinking. And apparently I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions."
— George Carlin

mephibosheth
TheistTroll
mephibosheth's picture
User is offlineOffline
jcgadfly wrote:   I

jcgadfly wrote:

I really wish you could see what you're doing.

You say you can't prove your God exists.

Yet you bring all these things that the Bible says Jesus did as proof that your God exists.

You also bring up the old "The apostles wouldn't have died for a lie" argument (again as proof that your God exists).

You're busting your hump trying to do something you claim you can't do.

JCGadfly,

I wish you could see that I have made my decision on all this. I totally believe it all, I'm immersed in it, and my belt tightened to do it.

The difference you refer to is the fact that I can't prove it to you. "It" - the gospel, the Scripture, God, the Holy "It" - is as real to me as the chair I am sitting in.

You quote from your world of unbelief which you can't prove to me and I do the opposite.

I must say I can't see why you are mentioning it or taking note. If I could prove it all to you believe me I would be intent on doing it. As it stands we are just communicating from two different worlds. And I must say it seems you are understanding what I am saying about like I was baffled at vector calculus - where everything was by definition and I hit the wall.

JC, if we could move on from the antagonism that seems to be necessary from your side it would be nice. You don't need to drip venom from every line to help me remember that you don't believe. If we could just discuss our two worlds and try to understand? I'm not mad at you or threatened by you. I'm not trying to jam the Scriptures down your throat. I am sharing what I see is a great exciting thing to me, a constant joy. I understand you don't see it that way and don't think you want it. I can't make you take it and I wouldn't do that if I could. But I would try to talk you in to what I see as the most important thing in life.

As I see it we are discussing it with the motivation from your side being just desire to understand. Maybe you are trying to get across that you don't even desire to understand or that you understand it all already and have rejected it. I have desire to understand. I can't understand why everybody doesn't want the gospel It baffles me. If you had a 10 mil inheritance would you not pick it up? This is worlds better than that!

Do you have something like that, something that is the most important thing in life you wish everybody had? If so would you try to offer it to people if you had the opportunity?

Mephibosheth (no faith proof theorem)

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
mephibosheth

mephibosheth wrote:
jcgadfly wrote:

I really wish you could see what you're doing.

You say you can't prove your God exists.

Yet you bring all these things that the Bible says Jesus did as proof that your God exists.

You're busting your hump trying to do something you claim you can't do.

JCGadfly,

I wish you could see that I have made my decision on all this. I totally believe it all, I'm immersed in it, and my belt tightened to do it.

The difference you refer to is the fact that I can't prove it to you. "It" - the gospel, the Scripture, God, the Holy "It" - is as real to me as the chair I am sitting in.

You quote from your world of unbelief which you can't prove to me and I do the opposite.

I must say I can't see why you are mentioning it or taking note. If I could prove it all to you believe me I would be intent on doing it. As it stands we are just communicating from two different worlds. And I must say it seems you are understanding what I am saying about like I was baffled at vector calculus - where everything was by definition and I hit the wall.

JC, if we could move on from the antagonism that seems to be necessary from your side it would be nice. You don't need to drip venom from every line to help me remember that you don't believe. If we could just discuss our two worlds and try to understand? I'm not mad at you or threatened by you. I'm not trying to jam the Scriptures down your throat. I am sharing what I see is a great exciting thing to me, a constant joy. I understand you don't see it that way and don't think you want it. I can't make you take it and I wouldn't do that if I could. But I would try to talk you in to what I see as the most important thing in life.

As I see it we are discussing it with the motivation from your side being just desire to understand. Maybe you are trying to get across that you don't even desire to understand or that you understand it all already and have rejected it. I have desire to understand. I can't understand why everybody doesn't want the gospel It baffles me. If you had a 10 mil inheritance would you not pick it up? This is worlds better than that!

Do you have something like that, something that is the most important thing in life you wish everybody had? If so would you try to offer it to people if you had the opportunity?

Mephibosheth (no faith proof theorem)

Meph,

I'm sorry if you read what I'm writing as antagonism. I don't mean it that way.

I'm just trying to get you to stop contradicting yourself.

You say, "I can't prove my God exists but here's x,y, and z that proves my God exists."

I was where you are. I believed in God and thought nothing could change my mind. After a while I saw people claiming Christianity while behaving reprehensibly and got really confused. Then I read the Bible and discovered that the form of Christianity they beleived in (based on the writings of Paul) absolved them from any responsiblility and made their behavior acceptable.

I couldn't follow a God that lets his people be immoral (according to society) in order to sell his morality. Still can't.

Your inheritance analogy doesn't wash because I can't claim the benefits of Christianity until after I'm dead. I'd like to be able to live a good productive life now. That's something I couldn't do as a Christian. I was too busy sitting under the weight of hearing about how worthless I am without God and nothing I do could ever please him

I get enough of that crap from my evangelical Christian wife.

— George Carlin

mephibosheth
TheistTroll
mephibosheth's picture
User is offlineOffline
deludedgod wrote: You've

deludedgod wrote:

You've misinterpreted my quote. Dulce et Decorum est Pro Dei Mori means "It is sweet and fitting to die for one's God". It is a direct reference to a poem by Wilfred Owen, the last line:

The Old Lie: Dulce et Decorum est Pro Patria Mori

The title of Owen's Poem, Dulce et Decorum est, is an ironic statement about the absurdity of warfare. My statement paraphrases it directly, in the context of religion, a statement of the absurdity of religious belief and martyrdom.

Deludedgod,

That illustrates the problem I was having looking up your words and terms. Unless I misread it this was what came up - or maybe I just didn't get the "rest of the story" - didn't click on the link.

It's so easy to not understand the context of those words and terms - there are usually a list of definitions. I'm sure there are shades of meaning too.

The Bible also lends itself easily to misinterpretation, context - twisting, formulas that solve for the desired solution. I hate that approach, and don't aim to show it that disrespect.

I am convinced however that it can be understood as it is meant to be with honesty, work, and the experience of knowing the God who wrote it. I'm not saying all mysteries can be removed but I am convinced we can understand what we need to. (I know you're going to jump this with both guns blazing, but I totally believe it).

I have a question at a venture (like an arrow shot at a venture).

You remember the story Acts about 8 or so when Paul was on the road going to kill Christians and met up with the Lord and was converted to Christianity? His closest friends (the Israelites) them became his viscious enemies. They beat him up, left him for dead, imprisoned, etc.

You probably don't believe this story but I don't think it's necessary to answer the question I have.

You said your views could change. Do you think if they did and you ended up a Christian that you would have the guts to face the reaction to that change on this website?

Mephibosheth (what you are about to do, do quickly)

mephibosheth
TheistTroll
mephibosheth's picture
User is offlineOffline
jcgadfly wrote:   I was

jcgadfly wrote:

I was where you are. I believed in God and thought nothing could change my mind. After a while I saw people claiming Christianity while behaving reprehensibly and got really confused. Then I read the Bible and discovered that the form of Christianity they beleived in (based on the writings of Paul) absolved them from any responsiblility and made their behavior acceptable.

I couldn't follow a God that lets his people be immoral (according to society) in order to sell his morality. Still can't.

JCGadfly,

I'm sure I am a contradiction - somewhere on the scale. My impression of what I was doing was just using terms from my world to say what I meant - not as being able to prove it to you but to get across what I meant. I think I was anyway.

I think every man at some level is a hypocrite too. We may fail at higher or lower levels and a lot of things would have to be factored in to get a fair comparison (strictly my opinion here). I don't think a man could come up with a fair comparison. Our backgrounds are so different.

But I take it you were talking about a blatant hypocrite (s) that (my words) caused you to stumble and fall into what you now consider truth and I would consider shipwrecked faith.

JC, this paragraph really interests me as far as understanding exactly what happened and what you mean by "writings of Paul". I don't know if it's possible for you to be any more detailed - and I'm not interested in any intimate details, just that I'm baffled so anything you could do to unbaffle a little would be appreciated.

thanks,

Mephibosheth

mephibosheth
TheistTroll
mephibosheth's picture
User is offlineOffline
jcgadfly wrote:   I was

MOD EDIT- Double Post

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
mephibosheth

mephibosheth wrote:
jcgadfly wrote:

I was where you are. I believed in God and thought nothing could change my mind. After a while I saw people claiming Christianity while behaving reprehensibly and got really confused. Then I read the Bible and discovered that the form of Christianity they beleived in (based on the writings of Paul) absolved them from any responsiblility and made their behavior acceptable.

I couldn't follow a God that lets his people be immoral (according to society) in order to sell his morality. Still can't.

JCGadfly,

I'm sure I am a contradiction - somewhere on the scale. My impression of what I was doing was just using terms from my world to say what I meant - not as being able to prove it to you but to get across what I meant. I think I was anyway.

I think every man at some level is a hypocrite too. We may fail at higher or lower levels and a lot of things would have to be factored in to get a fair comparison (strictly my opinion here). I don't think a man could come up with a fair comparison. Our backgrounds are so different.

But I take it you were talking about a blatant hypocrite (s) that (my words) caused you to stumble and fall into what you now consider truth and I would consider shipwrecked faith.

JC, this paragraph really interests me as far as understanding exactly what happened and what you mean by "writings of Paul". I don't know if it's possible for you to be any more detailed - and I'm not interested in any intimate details, just that I'm baffled so anything you could do to unbaffle a little would be appreciated.

thanks,

Mephibosheth

I'll try.

Paul wrote in Romans 4:15 "And where there is no law, there is no transgression". Many christians have taken that to say that the 10 commandments no longer apply if you simply believe in Jesus according to how Paul taught. The church I attended was no exception. In same cases, Paul's writings supersede the words that their Christ allegedly said.

They could go and help out at an inner city church and talk about all the "panhandling <plural n-word deleted so I don't get static>" that attended. They could talk about the "Prince of Peace" and let American atrocities around the world slide because GW Bush "is such a godly man". I couldn't deal with that kind of falsehood or the Book that apparently condoned it.

The other major hypocrisy-condoning verse for me is 1 Corinthians 9:22-23 : " To the weak I became weak, to win the weak. I have become all things to all men so that by all possible means I might save some. I do all this for the sake of the gospel, that I may share in its blessings."

For me, that's the verse that allows Ted Haggard to insist he's not a homosexual drug user while he smokes meth with the male prostitute he bought that night. It also allowed those good churchpeople I told you about to lie and cheat in the name of Jesus.

Put that with the "do what you want and then ask forgiveness (lather, rinse, repeat)" attitude that pervades Christianity and I can't deal with it. It flies in the face of what I and society see as right and wrong.

— George Carlin

mephibosheth
TheistTroll
mephibosheth's picture
User is offlineOffline
  JC, The Scriptures lend

JC,

The Scriptures lend themselves to being misunderstood, it's true.

There was a guy in Corinth in the church there that was living with his father's wife. Paul wrote to them about taking care of that, kicking him out, then later he wrote to them about forgiving the guy, taking him back after he had repented. Paul didn't quit the Lord or the church.

Faith, the thing you say you don't have, is a precious thing. It isn't a "presentation" thing or a "parade" thing however; it is a "war" thing that is to be exercised. One thing that exercises it unfortunately is the imperfect church, of which I am a part and share in imperfection.

If you believed Jesus is the Son of God, died for our sins, rose the third day, ascended to the Father - you would have a armor piercing bullet for such challenges to your faith.

Unbelief is a big deal. It's worse than Pepsi on the keyboard in spiritual things.

If you believed Jesus is Holy then you wouldn't go for such lies as "he is a drunkard and a glutton" like some of the Pharisees were saying. You would see the Scriptures in the context of the Holy Jesus and know that sin is not OKed by the Scripture. Since we understand Jesus is Holy we who hope in Him purify ourselves like He is Holy (this isn't DIY, we do it with God's help).

Since you don't believe what Jesus says about Himself it all flies apart from there.

Capernicus looked pretty good when Galileo came with his telescope. Until then they couldn't see the phases of Venus, which proved the earth and planets do revolve around the sun.

When Jesus comes back we who believe in Him will all be regarded as wise men, great philosophers. We'll look good then. I'm trying to make you look good. You and DG.

Mephibosheth (how'm I doing, anybody said?)

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
mephibosheth

mephibosheth wrote:

JC,

The Scriptures lend themselves to being misunderstood, it's true.

There was a guy in Corinth in the church there that was living with his father's wife. Paul wrote to them about taking care of that, kicking him out, then later he wrote to them about forgiving the guy, taking him back after he had repented. Paul didn't quit the Lord or the church.

Faith, the thing you say you don't have, is a precious thing. It isn't a "presentation" thing or a "parade" thing however; it is a "war" thing that is to be exercised. One thing that exercises it unfortunately is the imperfect church, of which I am a part and share in imperfection.

If you believed Jesus is the Son of God, died for our sins, rose the third day, ascended to the Father - you would have a armor piercing bullet for such challenges to your faith.

Unbelief is a big deal. It's worse than Pepsi on the keyboard in spiritual things.

If you believed Jesus is Holy then you wouldn't go for such lies as "he is a drunkard and a glutton" like some of the Pharisees were saying. You would see the Scriptures in the context of the Holy Jesus and know that sin is not OKed by the Scripture. Since we understand Jesus is Holy we who hope in Him purify ourselves like He is Holy (this isn't DIY, we do it with God's help).

Since you don't believe what Jesus says about Himself it all flies apart from there.

Capernicus looked pretty good when Galileo came with his telescope. Until then they couldn't see the phases of Venus, which proved the earth and planets do revolve around the sun.

When Jesus comes back we who believe in Him will all be regarded as wise men, great philosophers. We'll look good then. I'm trying to make you look good. You and DG.

Mephibosheth (how'm I doing, anybody said?)

Easily misunderstood scripture is not exactly a selling point for a divinely inspired book, is it?

Or am I just misunderstanding it because I don't agree with your particular belief system? (sorry if that sounds snarky - i hear it an awful lot from other Christians).

Where did you get that I don't have faith? I don't have faith in your God Yahweh or his son Jesus who is also Yahweh, that much is true. I do have faith in humans to do things benefical to society (many times in spite of their religion). If I didn't I wouldn't stay married to the evangelical.

You are right about religious faith being a war thing. It certainly has caused a lot of them.

I never said that sin was OK'd by the Scripture. If you looked at what I wrote I said that Paul took away sin from the believer's vocabulary when he told them they didn't have to pay attention to the Law. If you want to claim "O, he meant ceremonial law or dietary law", feel free to insult Paul's (or the other writers who used his name) intelligence. He/They was/were smart enough to know how the words for "ceremonial" and "dietary" if he/they wanted to use them. He/they did create a religion and a theology, after all.

Copernicus was damn good - he believed in the heliocentric system. That's why the church wasn't happy with him. They liked the geocentric system of Ptolemy because it made them feel special and chosen of God. All Galileo and his telescope did was back up what Copernicus saw with the naked eye.

Be glad I saw this before DG - he might still shred you.

— George Carlin

mephibosheth
TheistTroll
mephibosheth's picture
User is offlineOffline
  JCGadfly,   I am glad

JCGadfly,

I am glad for any blows you head off from DG.

The lunar eclipse is on now - it's hard to see how Columbus scared anybody with that.

I thought one of the halmarks of atheists on this site was having no faith.

I'm not sure why but it seems to be the case that the Bible lends itself to being misunderstood - I'll take a shot at why, though this could easily be off.

If you learn the lines of the Bible but don't apply it you have form without substance. Form without substance makes guys like you rave like poison panthers.

An example of this would be the parable of the guy that had a huge amount of debt forgiven - he went out and grabed a guy by the neck that owed him (let's say) 5$ (adjusted for inflation). The master heard about it and locked him up for not forgiving.

If a guy reaches a point where he digs in and won't forgive something or somebody that could make the wheels of his chariot come off and he could be form without substance. He could still know some scripture but not in the living it substance sense. He is estranged from the God and Spirit of it.

You can have a head knowledge of the Scripture but not really understand it at heart level. Jesus is the "Living Word" and if you don't have fellowship with the Living Word you can't really understand the Written Word.

I would think putting primary faith in man would be a treacherous path. No thanks.

Mephibosheth (even the demons believe....and tremble)

Watcher
atheist
User is offlineOffline
mephibosheth wrote:If you

mephibosheth wrote:

If you learn the lines of the Bible but don't apply it you have form without substance. Form without substance makes guys like you rave like poison panthers.

"Shape without form, shade without colour,
Paralysed force, gesture without motion;"

T.S. Eliot's "The Hollow Men"

Pretty lame.  I'm rather disheartened that someone who has spent a number of years longer in this life is so completely unable to answer our questions or even justify your own belief.

I am completely honest with my respect and gratitude.  I hold no ego when it comes to that.  I find you rather pathetic in this regard.  And find many people here of much younger existence in a much higher respect.

Why do you hold bullheaded ignorant blind faith in such esteem?  Surely you can not fault the 9/11 hijackers for sharing the exact same quality you cling to. 

Or does your hyprocasy extend that far?

"I am an atheist, thank God." -Oriana Fallaci

thatonedude
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
mephibosheth wrote: If you

mephibosheth wrote:

OK, I can try to apply it to my life. But after I get done stoning my son to death for being rebellious(Deut. 21:18-21) and having my wife killed if her family can't find proof she was a virgin when I married her(Deut. 22:13-21), do you think it will be cool if I rape a girl, then force her to marry me? (Deut. 22:28-29)

Then again, forget that. When it takes me 30 seconds to point out commandments like that GIVEN BY YOUR GOD, it makes me wonder how the hell I dedicated so much of my life to such a blatantly sadistic imaginary monster. He's much worse than a "poison panther," whatever that is.

All that is necessary for the triumph of good is that evil men do nothing.

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
mephibosheth

mephibosheth wrote:

JCGadfly,

I am glad for any blows you head off from DG.

The lunar eclipse is on now - it's hard to see how Columbus scared anybody with that.

I thought one of the halmarks of atheists on this site was having no faith.

I'm not sure why but it seems to be the case that the Bible lends itself to being misunderstood - I'll take a shot at why, though this could easily be off.

An example of this would be the parable of the guy that had a huge amount of debt forgiven - he went out and grabed a guy by the neck that owed him (let's say) 5$ (adjusted for inflation). The master heard about it and locked him up for not forgiving.

If a guy reaches a point where he digs in and won't forgive something or somebody that could make the wheels of his chariot come off and he could be form without substance. He could still know some scripture but not in the living it substance sense. He is estranged from the God and Spirit of it.

You can have a head knowledge of the Scripture but not really understand it at heart level. Jesus is the "Living Word" and if you don't have fellowship with the Living Word you can't really understand the Written Word.

I would think putting primary faith in man would be a treacherous path. No thanks.

Mephibosheth (even the demons believe....and tremble)

What's so hard about Columbus scaring the natives with a lunar eclipse?  You sit under a similar appeal to fear if you go to church every Sunday.

Columbus - "Be nice to us or God will remove the moon from the sky"

Preacher - "Be nice to me and give me money (oh yeah, believe in God, too) or God will throw you in Hell."

Mix God in with folks who don't know better and it's a great scam.

You are conflating religious faith with faith based on past experiences.  I have faith that I will walk outside in 13 degree F weather and be cold because I and others have had similar experiences in 13 degree F weather. There have also been experiments done to gauge the effects of cold temperatures on human beings. Those past experiences are my evidence. Religious faith has no such evidence.

So I have to believe in God before I can read the Bible? Doesn't that make it hard to come to a saving knowledge? I always thought that your God saved people so they could believe in him.

You also forget that those folks I mentioned earlier do apply Scripture. They like the part where Paul says there is no sin because there is no law and they apply that. They don't like the part where Jesus says "Give to the poor"  and see that would risk their money so they go back to Paul and poof! that law no longer applies. They look at Micah's edict to "act justly and love mercy", realize that such a thing would keep them from taking advantage of people and they thank god Paul came when he did. That way they're allowed to screw people over because they're trying to reach people who screw others over.

Jesus spoke in parables to keep the average person from understanding. He said as much to his disciples. 

I have no problem putting faith (based on prior experience) in people. People are real. If you put faith in God and he lets you down, what do you do? If your like most Christians, you let him off the hook. It either wasn't his will or you didn't have enough faith, right? Wait, Jesus said believers only need faith the size of a mustard seed and you can move mountains...But Paul said that believers can only use their gifts in proportion to their faith...

I'd go on but my head is spinning. 

— George Carlin

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
thatonedude

thatonedude wrote:

mephibosheth wrote:

OK, I can try to apply it to my life. But after I get done stoning my son to death for being rebellious(Deut. 21:18-21) and having my wife killed if her family can't find proof she was a virgin when I married her(Deut. 22:13-21), do you think it will be cool if I rape a girl, then force her to marry me? (Deut. 22:28-29)

Then again, forget that. When it takes me 30 seconds to point out commandments like that GIVEN BY YOUR GOD, it makes me wonder how the hell I dedicated so much of my life to such a blatantly sadistic imaginary monster. He's much worse than a "poison panther," whatever that is.

Paul took those away from the believers. Christians love applying them to the unbelievers though. 

— George Carlin

thatonedude
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Quote: Paul took those away

Quote:
Paul took those away from the believers. Christians love applying them to the unbelievers though.

Unless they claim that the entire old testament is libel, they still have a problem. Because their god commanded these evil behaviors. The "hardness of heart" argument doesn't touch this point at all, nor does any later dispensation. The supposedly perfect god commanded rank immorality.

All that is necessary for the triumph of good is that evil men do nothing.

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
thatonedude

thatonedude wrote:

Quote:

Unless they claim that the entire old testament is libel, they still have a problem. Because their god commanded these evil behaviors. The "hardness of heart" argument doesn't touch this point at all, nor does any later dispensation. The supposedly perfect god commanded rank immorality.

I never said they were consistent or made a lick of sense. 

— George Carlin

thatonedude
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Quote: I never said they

Quote:
I never said they were consistent or made a lick of sense.

Amen to that.  

mephibosheth
TheistTroll
mephibosheth's picture
User is offlineOffline
Watcher wrote:   Pretty

Watcher wrote:

Pretty lame. I'm rather disheartened that someone who has spent a number of years longer in this life is so completely unable to answer our questions or even justify your own belief.

I am completely honest with my respect and gratitude. I hold no ego when it comes to that. I find you rather pathetic in this regard. And find many people here of much younger existence in a much higher respect.

Why do you hold bullheaded ignorant blind faith in such esteem? Surely you can not fault the 9/11 hijackers for sharing the exact same quality you cling to.

Watcher,

Don't be disheartened about me - be disheartened you are rejecting the very Son of God. What a tragedy you reject the very simple thing - the foolishness of God which is wiser than men, the gospel.

You insist on rejecting the very thing you most need.

As for answering your questions. Even a cough can become a habit. Questions can become a way of life - a escape from decision.

A decision would mean you would get criticized - which I might mention isn't that bad at all when you have fellowship with Jesus.

Jesus was around a lot longer than me (here when the earth was created and the angels sang for joy) - and you're not impressed with Him nor does He answer your questions (you won't let Him, He could and He would) - who am I?

I'm glad you're completely honest with your respect and gratitude - that's impressive. Completeness is pretty thorough, a many splendored thing, arrival, the end of the matter, nothing left out, no room to improve.

I hold my faith in esteem bullheadedly because faith is a war thing. But I'm not fighting with men as you wrongly characterized, referring to 9/11. I'm warring with the Prince of Darkness, the forces of evil, the powers of the air, demons.

Faith is the eye of the soul. Faith requires a focus. My faith is in Jesus. Look at the life and attitude and focus of Jesus. That's what I'm focused on. I "see" Jesus through the eyes of faith.

You can downplay "faith" but the ignorance on that dwells with you. Just like you value sight, you would value faith if you had it. If God opens your eyes to the well of living water then you will value faith - it will be the mainspring of your spiritual life - and you will like it. But then you will have the chance to prove the man following Jesus, because following Jesus is no walk in the park. Jesus is not only King of Kings but Man of Men.

As far as the hijackers, I don't have anything to do with judging outsiders.

So, I guess my hypocrisy doesn't extend that far. My hypocrisy does exist however, because I don't have the completeness you do, but I'm striving for completeness in Jesus. Compared to Him everyone's a hypocrite to some degree.

Mephibosheth (if you are going to call somebody a "fool" - don't misspell "fool&quotEye-wink

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
mephibosheth

mephibosheth wrote:

Watcher wrote:

Pretty lame. I'm rather disheartened that someone who has spent a number of years longer in this life is so completely unable to answer our questions or even justify your own belief.

I am completely honest with my respect and gratitude. I hold no ego when it comes to that. I find you rather pathetic in this regard. And find many people here of much younger existence in a much higher respect.

Why do you hold bullheaded ignorant blind faith in such esteem? Surely you can not fault the 9/11 hijackers for sharing the exact same quality you cling to.

Watcher,

Don't be disheartened about me - be disheartened you are rejecting the very Son of God. What a tragedy you reject the very simple thing - the foolishness of God which is wiser than men, the gospel.

You insist on rejecting the very thing you most need.

As for answering your questions. Even a cough can become a habit. Questions can become a way of life - a escape from decision.

A decision would mean you would get criticized - which I might mention isn't that bad at all when you have fellowship with Jesus.

Jesus was around a lot longer than me (here when the earth was created and the angels sang for joy) - and you're not impressed with Him nor does He answer your questions (you won't let Him, He could and He would) - who am I?

I'm glad you're completely honest with your respect and gratitude - that's impressive. Completeness is pretty thorough, a many splendored thing, arrival, the end of the matter, nothing left out, no room to improve.

I hold my faith in esteem bullheadedly because faith is a war thing. But I'm not fighting with men as you wrongly characterized, referring to 9/11. I'm warring with the Prince of Darkness, the forces of evil, the powers of the air, demons.

Faith is the eye of the soul. Faith requires a focus. My faith is in Jesus. Look at the life and attitude and focus of Jesus. That's what I'm focused on. I "see" Jesus through the eyes of faith.

You can downplay "faith" but the ignorance on that dwells with you. Just like you value sight, you would value faith if you had it. If God opens your eyes to the well of living water then you will value faith - it will be the mainspring of your spiritual life - and you will like it. But then you will have the chance to prove the man following Jesus, because following Jesus is no walk in the park. Jesus is not only King of Kings but Man of Men.

As far as the hijackers, I don't have anything to do with judging outsiders.

So, I guess my hypocrisy doesn't extend that far. My hypocrisy does exist however, because I don't have the completeness you do, but I'm striving for completeness in Jesus. Compared to Him everyone's a hypocrite to some degree.

Mephibosheth (if you are going to call somebody a "fool" - don't misspell "fool&quotEye-wink

As Christianity and its representatives are responsible for much of my mental issues, it's hard for me to see where I "need" Jesus.

Questions are an escape from decision-making? What, then, is faith? How does claiming "God did it" and absolving yourself from the search for answers make you such a brave seeker? If I have a criticism for Christians and their faith, it's that they tend to use it as a substitute for reason. It gives them an excuse to stop thinking rather than start..

Isn't it difficult to have fellowhip with the invisible? Sorry if that comes off as insulting but it's really hard to have a relationship with someone you can't deal with in some sort of material way. That's why I had such a hard time with Christianity. I wanted to see Christ  but got stuck with Christians who liked to do whatever immoral/amoral thing they wanted and covered it with "I'm not perfect - just forgiven".

Why is it when you fight the fight of faith against ' the Prince of Darkness, the forces of evil, the powers of the air, demons', only people wind up dead? The invisible forces you battle against are unaffected.

Following Jesus isn't a walk in the park? That must be why the people calling themselves Christians follow Paul's teaching. They don't have to wory about living it, doing good, being helpful to others, all that bunk. 

Then again, doing what makes you feel good and giving it Jesus' stamp of approval is easier than you make it out to be. 

Why not look at the hijackers? They had at least as much faith in their God as you have in yours (maybe more). They also practiced their faith as a war thing. Or do you not want to look at them because it's scary to see how close you are? That's understandable.

— George Carlin

mephibosheth
TheistTroll
mephibosheth's picture
User is offlineOffline
jcgadfly wrote:   As

jcgadfly wrote:

As Christianity and its representatives are responsible for much of my mental issues, it's hard for me to see where I "need" Jesus.

Questions are an escape from decision-making? What, then, is faith? How does claiming "God did it" and absolving yourself from the search for answers make you such a brave seeker? If I have a criticism for Christians and their faith, it's that they tend to use it as a substitute for reason. It gives them an excuse to stop thinking rather than start..

Isn't it difficult to have fellowhip with the invisible? Sorry if that comes off as insulting but it's really hard to have a relationship with someone you can't deal with in some sort of material way. That's why I had such a hard time with Christianity. I wanted to see Christ but got stuck with Christians who liked to do whatever immoral/amoral thing they wanted and covered it with "I'm not perfect - just forgiven".

Why is it when you fight the fight of faith against ' the Prince of Darkness, the forces of evil, the powers of the air, demons', only people wind up dead? The invisible forces you battle against are unaffected.

Following Jesus isn't a walk in the park? That must be why the people calling themselves Christians follow Paul's teaching. They don't have to wory about living it, doing good, being helpful to others, all that bunk.

Then again, doing what makes you feel good and giving it Jesus' stamp of approval is easier than you make it out to be.

Why not look at the hijackers? They had at least as much faith in their God as you have in yours (maybe more). They also practiced their faith as a war thing. Or do you not want to look at them because it's scary to see how close you are? That's understandable.

JC,

You have a totally different perspective of Jesus, faith, Paul and - you must have been hanging out with a totally different bunch of Christians than I am familiar with. I have read about that strata in the Scriptures however, so I believe you. But it's not my experience.

I didn't mean to characterize all questions as bad. Sure there are questions to be answered. There is such a thing of making a career out of questions in my opinion and using questions for a escape from decision.

Faith too could be an escape. You blame some of your problems on it, them, whatever to escape from taking responsibility yourself.

I have searched very hard for answers and I am still searching for answers. I think I am searching in a different place though. I am searching in the Bible which I believe in its entirety. As far as me being "brave", I wouldn't characterize myself as brave - but Jesus is the bravest.

Anything that is good can be perverted - to the pure all things are pure. To the corrupt all things are corrupt.

As far as me fighting evil forces and instead people end up dead - I'm not aware of any. There is the teaching of Jesus in the sermon on the mount that says if I hate my brother I am a murderer. I'm not aware of hating anybody either.

You are wrong again in me claiming "God did it" - as it says in Ecclesiastes a disadvantage of being a man is not knowing what God is doing. I have things I suspect God did for me and I have things I'm sure He did - to myself - but I'm not going to put His Name on it because I don't know.

Remember Job wasn't aware of what was going on behind the scene with God and Satan's discussion. Even in the end God didn't explain everything to him. He was faithful though.

You really show your ignorance of the scriptures in my opinion when you start talking about Paul. You said something about Paul and money grabbing. Paul made tents so he could make his preaching free. You're calling Paul a dishonorable man? That's understandable since you mischaracterize Jesus as well.

And, no, following along with Paul wasn't at all a walk in the park. I haven't got the slightest idea where you are coming from with your opinion of Paul.

As far as the books Paul wrote, the Bible says that none of these writers wrote their own ideas - they were moved by the Holy Spirit to write. These are the Word of God.

Actually as far as your statement on "feelings" - you are wrong again. I don't put much stock at all in feelings. I thought we already discussed this. We did. Feelings are like weather. Here in Illinois we don't really care too much about weather.

As far as having a relationship with the invisible God and Jesus. I have a relationship also with my conscience - and it's invisible. It may be difficult true, but man is capable of such a relationship with the invisible God. And it's great. His Spirit lives in me, along with Jesus and God Himself. I'm not planning on doing anything to drive Him off.

Ok, the hijackers. Yes, I guess you would have to say they are sincere in what they do. I guess you would say they have faith. But they have a different Lord and God than I do.

Jesus is Lord. I have made my decision. I have no doubts. Jesus loved and loves His enemies. He is the one I am focused on and following. That's different than the hijackers'.

Mephibosheth ("to live is Christ/ to die is gain" (Paul))

mephibosheth
TheistTroll
mephibosheth's picture
User is offlineOffline
ATHEIST INGRATITUDE

483. Who was the "Ungrateful Guest"?

This was the brand fixed by Philip of Macedon on a Macedonian soldier, who had been kindly entertained by a villager, and, when asked by the king what he could give him, requested the farm and cottage of his entertainer.

This could become the RRSQ motto

Mephibosheth  (pointing out history with hope for better days ahead)

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
mephibosheth wrote:483. Who

mephibosheth wrote:

483. Who was the "Ungrateful Guest"?

This was the brand fixed by Philip of Macedon on a Macedonian soldier, who had been kindly entertained by a villager, and, when asked by the king what he could give him, requested the farm and cottage of his entertainer.

This could become the RRSQ motto

Mephibosheth  (pointing out history with hope for better days ahead)

We should show gratitude for a guy who will torture us for eternity for not kissing his gluteals in this life?

Just because he took the form of a demigod and gave himself a three day weekend that ecumenical control freaks called a "sacrifice"?

Now to your other post

I appreciate your honesty and sincere belief. Don't take what comes next the wrong way.

"to the pure all things are pure" - yep, that's another excuse I get from Christians to cover their actions.

And Job? Classic divine sadism - God allowed Job to be tortured on a bet.

On Paul, what I said was Christians use Paul's teachings to be money grubbing scum. I never said Paul was a money grubber. Paul created a religion and his followers took advantage.

I characterize Jesus as a fictional character created by the gospel writers fusing Paul's Christ concept with a rabbi they liked. As you haven't shown me evidence to the contrary (other than the writings of those who created the character), I have to stand by my view. I believe Paul existed and had a view of divinity closer to Gnosticism than anything else.

Perhaps "feelings" wasn't a correct term. You believe something you do is right and then put God's name on it. That way, if it backfires, you can absolve yourself of responsibility by saying you were following God's will and Satan twisted it.

You have a relationship with your conscience? Glad to know your friends with your brain and the morals that came from your society (your God's people appropriated them later. I choose not to personify the process. I don't need to believe in a God to be moral - if you do, keep doing it.

Jesus is Lord because you grew up here and had the training/indoctrination. If you lived in an Islamic country, you might've been one of the hijackers - the conditioning would be there.

I discussed Jesus' "love" in the earlier section - or is Jesus not God to you?

— George Carlin

bonniebj
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Hi mephibosheth

Not sure if I am posting correctly but we shall see.  Just wanted to say Hi.  I agree with you that the proof of God is all around us!  But I am also fascinated that the Bible speaks of the Orion, Arcturus and Pleiades constellation. Also since God's word is written in the stars it is clear He created the stars.  Thought you might enjoy this:  See Job 9 and Job 38 

Job 9:9  Which maketh Arcturus, Orion, and Pleiades, and the chambers of the South.

The stars in Taurus present a brilliant sight to behold. There are at least, I believe, 141 stars besides two important groups of stars, which both form integral parts of the sign.

The brightest star (in the bull's eye) has a Chaldee name AlDebaran, and means the leader or governor. The star B which is at the tip of the left horn has an arabic name El Nath, meaning wounded or slain. Another prophetic intimation that this coming Lord should be first slain as a sacrifice!

Then there is the cluster of stars known as the Pleiades which means the congregation of the judge or ruler.  This occurs in Job 9:9, 38:31, 32, and Amos 5:8.

Amos 5:8  (seek him) that maketh the seven stars and Orion, and turneth the shadow of death into the morning and maketh the day dark with night; that calleth for the waters of the sea, and poureth them out upon the face of the earth: The LORD (is) his name.

Pleiades a brilliant cluster of stars seen in the shoulder of Taurus (the BUll). This constellation consists of several hundred stars, although the naked eye can usually see six or seven. Job declared GOD made Pleiades and Job 9:9 bound them in a cluster in Job 38:31  Canst thou bind the sweet influences of Pleiades, or loose the bands of Orion? 

Pleiades means the congregation of the judge.

It is a huge study but fascinating.  The book The Witness of the Stars by E. W. Bullinger is a good place to start if you are interested in this.

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
bonniebj wrote:Not sure if I

bonniebj wrote:

Not sure if I am posting correctly but we shall see.  Just wanted to say Hi.  I agree with you that the proof of God is all around us!  But I am also fascinated that the Bible speaks of the Orion, Arcturus and Pleiades constellation. Also since God's word is written in the stars it is clear He created the stars.  Thought you might enjoy this:  See Job 9 and Job 38 

Job 9:9  Which maketh Arcturus, Orion, and Pleiades, and the chambers of the South.

The stars in Taurus present a brilliant sight to behold. There are at least, I believe, 141 stars besides two important groups of stars, which both form integral parts of the sign.

The brightest star (in the bull's eye) has a Chaldee name AlDebaran, and means the leader or governor. The star B which is at the tip of the left horn has an arabic name El Nath, meaning wounded or slain. Another prophetic intimation that this coming Lord should be first slain as a sacrifice!

Then there is the cluster of stars known as the Pleiades which means the congregation of the judge or ruler.  This occurs in Job 9:9, 38:31, 32, and Amos 5:8.

Amos 5:8  (seek him) that maketh the seven stars and Orion, and turneth the shadow of death into the morning and maketh the day dark with night; that calleth for the waters of the sea, and poureth them out upon the face of the earth: The LORD (is) his name.

Pleiades a brilliant cluster of stars seen in the shoulder of Taurus (the BUll). This constellation consists of several hundred stars, although the naked eye can usually see six or seven. Job declared GOD made Pleiades and Job 9:9 bound them in a cluster in Job 38:31  Canst thou bind the sweet influences of Pleiades, or loose the bands of Orion? 

It is a huge study but fascinating.  The book The Witness of the Stars by E. W. Bullinger is a good place to start if you are interested in this.

It is fascinating indeed, how humans created gods to explain things when they lacked knowledge of them.

It is just as fascinating to see humans stretch the natural world to fit their preconceived notions.

— George Carlin

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
bonniebj wrote:Also since

bonniebj wrote:

Also since God's word is written in the stars it is clear He created the stars.

There are words in the stars?

bonniebj wrote:

Oh, there are words about stars in the bible. That's ... what you meant. I got all excited there for a second.

Kind of a letdown, bonnie.

Saint Will: no gyration without funkstification.
fabulae! nil satis firmi video quam ob rem accipere hunc mi expediat metum. - Terence

mephibosheth
TheistTroll
mephibosheth's picture
User is offlineOffline
THE HEAVENS DECLARE THE GLORY OF GOD

bonniebj wrote:

The heavens declare the glory of God; the skies proclaim the work of His hands.  Day after day they pour forth speech; night after night they display knowledge.

There is no speech or language where their voice is not heard.  Their voice goes out in all the earth, their words to the ends of the world. 

In the heavens He has pitched a ten for the sun, which is like a bridegroom coming forth from his pavilion, like a champion rejoicing to run his course.

It rises at one end of the heavens and makes its circuit to the other; nothing is hidden from its heat. 

The law of the LORD is perfect, reviving the soul.  The statutes of the LORD are trustworthy, making wise the simple.

Bonniebj,

I enjoyed your post and I remember those constellations mentioned in Job.  I may be wrong but I think the other things you attributed to them could be characterized as "urban legend" - I mean just added stuff, a man's idea.  I don't find it in the Bible. 

But, your post was a welcome relief from the falling stars on this website.

It was almost like your post had a voice - like the stars.

Mephibosheth 

mephibosheth
TheistTroll
mephibosheth's picture
User is offlineOffline
jcgadfly wrote:I

jcgadfly wrote:

I characterize Jesus as a fictional character created by the gospel writers fusing Paul's Christ concept with a rabbi they liked. As you haven't shown me evidence to the contrary (other than the writings of those who created the character), I have to stand by my view. I believe Paul existed and had a view of divinity closer to Gnosticism than anything else.

JC,

Does it seem logical to you that skeptical group of disciples would be willing to die for the fact of Jesus' resurrection if they weren't absolutely certain it was true? 

Mephibosheth   (to those with faith no proof is necessary, to those without   faith no proof is enough)

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
mephibosheth wrote:Does it

mephibosheth wrote:

Does it seem logical to you that skeptical group of disciples would be willing to die for the fact of Jesus' resurrection if they weren't absolutely certain it was true? 

No, it doesn't. But the idea of resurrection is a bit wacky from the beginning. So why bring logic into only one part of that story?

fabulae! nil satis firmi video quam ob rem accipere hunc mi expediat metum. - Terence

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
mephibosheth wrote:jcgadfly

mephibosheth wrote:

jcgadfly wrote:

JC,

Mephibosheth   (to those with faith no proof is necessary, to those without   faith no proof is enough)

If they were skeptical, they wouldn't be disciples.

You are also confusing the disciples of Jesus with the writers of the gospel. I believe them to be two separate groups. Why would the disciple wait 40 years after their leader died (and for all of Paul's works to be written) to write their first works about his life?

The writers used the names of the Apostles to lend their work credence (a common practice at that time).

— George Carlin

mephibosheth
TheistTroll
mephibosheth's picture
User is offlineOffline
RESURRECTION

HisWillness wrote:

mephibosheth wrote:

No, it doesn't. But the idea of resurrection is a bit wacky from the beginning. So why bring logic into only one part of that story?

Will,

The whole gospel is logical to me.  God was so just that He could not forgive sin without violating His Justice and nature.  Sin must be punished.  But to be consistent with His great Mercy He came Himself to suffer, bleed and die.  Now if you trust God in Christ to forgive your sin and take Him as King of Kings - you will be saved. 

If you give up your own righteousness and accept the Righteousness of Christ you will have a righteousness in Christ that is rock solid - the gift of God. 

The idea of resurrection isn't wacky to me at all.   Like Jesus said to the Saducees (who didn't believe in the resurrection).  "Didn't God say, 'I am the God of Abraham and Isaac and Jacob'"?  "God is not the God of the dead but the God of the living". 

The Resurrection is central to the gospel.  If there is no resurrection there is no life in Christ and we are still spiritually dead in our sins.  But, there is life in Christ.  I'm experiencing it.  It's great!

Mephibosheth 

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
mephibosheth

mephibosheth wrote:

HisWillness wrote:

mephibosheth wrote:

Will,

The whole gospel is logical to me.  God was so just that He could not forgive sin without violating His Justice and nature.  Sin must be punished.  But to be consistent with His great Mercy He came Himself to suffer, bleed and die.  Now if you trust God in Christ to forgive your sin and take Him as King of Kings - you will be saved. 

If you give up your own righteousness and accept the Righteousness of Christ you will have a righteousness in Christ that is rock solid - the gift of God. 

The idea of resurrection isn't wacky to me at all.   Like Jesus said to the Saducees (who didn't believe in the resurrection).  "Didn't God say, 'I am the God of Abraham and Isaac and Jacob'"?  "God is not the God of the dead but the God of the living". 

The Resurrection is central to the gospel.  If there is no resurrection there is no life in Christ and we are still spiritually dead in our sins.  But, there is life in Christ.  I'm experiencing it.  It's great!

Mephibosheth 

So God offered Himself to Himself so He could allow His omnipotent self to change a rule He made?

Reminds me of my wife and her "sacrifices" for Lent. She gives up sugar and white flour - things we don't eat anyway.

She gives up nothing - God gave up nothing.

— George Carlin

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
mephibosheth wrote:The whole

mephibosheth wrote:
The whole gospel is logical to me.

So it's logical to you that the laws of physics were suspended. They've operated exactly the same, observed and recorded for thousands of years, in various countries, and it's logical that they were suspended utterly for a decade or so. If that's what you call logical, then we just have different definitions of "logic". If you even believe that's rational, despite being so heavily improbable ... then we definitely have different definitions of "reasonable", "rational" AND "logical".

mephibosheth wrote:

Experiencing a feeling is not the same as making a statement involving your rational faculties. You're experiencing a feeling, not rationally evaluating with logic. Just admit that. "Logical" does not mean "socially acceptable", which is I think closer to what you're firing at.

mephibosheth
TheistTroll
mephibosheth's picture
User is offlineOffline
jcgadfly wrote: So God

jcgadfly wrote:

So God offered Himself to Himself so He could allow His omnipotent self to change a rule He made?

Reminds me of my wife and her "sacrifices" for Lent. She gives up sugar and white flour - things we don't eat anyway.

She gives up nothing - God gave up nothing.

JCG,

My wife brings me coffee every morning at 5:30, then a refill.  She cooks out in the snow and ice if it's cook out night.  She changed the turn signal switch in her car, enjoyed it, borrowed a steering wheel puller and researched it on the internet.

She's organized, the house is neat, the clothes all jump back in the drawers and closet - and, she can cook!  She's a self starter, works out at the Y, knits baby sweaters for everybody we know that has a baby, looks great!, starts my car in the morning and clears the windshield, scoops the driveway, treasurer for the church, keeps my books, runs after materials, can fix about anything, computer tech - all because she is happy to! 

But God is light years better than that.  He made her.

Mephibosheth  (have a nice day all)

nigelTheBold
atheist
nigelTheBold's picture
User is offlineOffline
mephibosheth

mephibosheth wrote:

Will,

Mephibosheth 

Of course the resurrection is central to the story. God comes down to slum among the humans to get sacrificed. But, since He's God, that really isn't much of a sacrifice, is it?

Oh, I know, the Trinity is the mystery. Jesus wasn't God. But He was God. Sort of. Bound by the Holy Spirit.

But it doesn't matter, because, in the end, according to Christian doctrine, Christ was an aspect of God. He was God incarnate, living the life of a man, but still Divine. So let me ask you: what kind of sacrifice was that, really? That's like me giving up caramel lattes every other day. God loses nothing; as he is omniscient, He can experience the life of being a human any time He wishes, simply by willing the experience. As He is omnipotent, He could come back at any time, and he wouldn't even have to tell anyone.

The sacrifice was a hollow one, especially as it was supposed to take the place of all other sacrifice for our sins. It just doesn't make logical sense, even within the scope of the Bible.

Anyway, the funny thing is, the Gospels each tell the tale differently. As we travel through time (in order that the books were written) from Mark to Matthew to Luke to John, the resurrection tale gets wilder. It starts in Mark as a spiritual visitation-- no physical manifestation is seen. The as we go from Matthew to Luke to John, we go from one angel, and a couple of people seeing the risen Christ, to a full-on parade through Dallas, with Jesus leading. That is, until Pilate shoots the magic bullet from the book conservatory window.

Okay, I took a little license for humor and blasphemy. But you get my point. Each telling grows increasingly magical. The first, in Mark, was simply spiritual, which is easier to believe, but on which it is hard to build a church. Throw in a couple of angels, a whore or two, and a big musical finish, and you've got John. Now that's a resurrection!

In the final analysis, it's hard for a skeptic not to come to the conclusion that this is complete and utter bullshit. Oh, sure, it might taste like redemption, but really, it's bullshit. I'm not surprised you confuse the two; they do taste similarly, although I find that redemption tastes more like crow than bullshit.

"Yes, I seriously believe that consciousness is a product of a natural process. I find that the neuroscientists, psychologists, and philosophers who proceed from that premise are the ones who are actually making useful contributions to our understanding of the mind." - PZ Myers

mephibosheth
TheistTroll
mephibosheth's picture
User is offlineOffline
HisWillness

HisWillness wrote:

Experiencing a feeling is not the same as making a statement involving your rational faculties. You're experiencing a feeling, not rationally evaluating with logic. Just admit that. "Logical" does not mean "socially acceptable", which is I think closer to what you're firing at.

Will,

I didn't say I was experiencing a feeling - you read that into it.  The gospel is logical to me and there's nothing otherwise to admit. 

I know you think things are a certain way but that's your faith.  You have faith in your perspective. 

As far as the laws of physics being suspended - the One who made the laws can suspend them. 

It appears however that suspending laws of physics didn't produce faith in most.  It seemed to fail to produce faith throughout the Old Testament.  In the New Testament Jesus healed somebody and the response was, "how can we deal with this guy?"  You share their perspective.  I would refer you to Psalm 2 for heaven's response.  

The thing that produces faith is the love and grace of God in Jesus Christ.  That's different than laws - physics or otherwise.

Mephibosheth 

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
mephibosheth wrote:I didn't

mephibosheth wrote:
I didn't say I was experiencing a feeling - you read that into it.

mephibosheth earlier wrote:
But, there is life in Christ.  I'm experiencing it.  It's great!

Did I miss something? 
mephibosheth wrote:
I know you think things are a certain way but that's your faith.  You have faith in your perspective.
 Not quite. I don't need "faith" to define my reality. That's what makes me a critical rationalist. You, on the other hand, need faith because your claims are extraordinary. 
mephibosheth wrote:
As far as the laws of physics being suspended - the One who made the laws can suspend them.
 ... and seems to never have done so in the presence of a scientist. Is this because God fears or hates scientists? 
mephibosheth wrote:
In the New Testament Jesus healed somebody and the response was, "how can we deal with this guy?" You share their perspective.
 No, my probable response would be "wow, that was amazing." Only I wasn't there, and nothing like that has happened since or before, so I find it unlikely. Just unlikely. That isn't so much a positive statement that you're totally wrong, and I want to persecute you. 
mephibosheth wrote:
The thing that produces faith is the love and grace of God in Jesus Christ.
 By this you mean faith is produced by the love and grace that is found in Jesus Christ? Do you believe that people of other religions have faith?

mephibosheth
TheistTroll
mephibosheth's picture
User is offlineOffline
HisWillness

HisWillness wrote:

mephibosheth wrote:
I didn't say I was experiencing a feeling - you read that into it.

mephibosheth earlier wrote:
But, there is life in Christ.  I'm experiencing it.  It's great!

Did I miss something? 
mephibosheth wrote:
I know you think things are a certain way but that's your faith.  You have faith in your perspective.
 Not quite. I don't need "faith" to define my reality. That's what makes me a critical rationalist. You, on the other hand, need faith because your claims are extraordinary. 
mephibosheth wrote:
 ... and seems to never have done so in the presence of a scientist. Is this because God fears or hates scientists? 
mephibosheth wrote:
In the New Testament Jesus healed somebody and the response was, "how can we deal with this guy?" You share their perspective.
 No, my probable response would be "wow, that was amazing." Only I wasn't there, and nothing like that has happened since or before, so I find it unlikely. Just unlikely. That isn't so much a positive statement that you're totally wrong, and I want to persecute you. 
mephibosheth wrote:
The thing that produces faith is the love and grace of God in Jesus Christ.
 By this you mean faith is produced by the love and grace that is found in Jesus Christ? Do you believe that people of other religions have faith?

Will,

You did miss something.  When you experience your conscience telling you you did the right or wrong thing do you call it a "feeling"?  I don't.  The experience I am talking about is spiritual. 

The feelings and happenings of the day - good and bad - may be rippling or tossing waves on the surface but there is a current under that is peace, joy, security moving in a direction of hope.  The feelings on the surface are vaporous. 

It would be a tragic thing to try to run your life by feelings.  I'm a carpenter, and I tell you - you can't even cut boards by "feeling".  How could you run your life by feelings ?

You don't see (as you describe yourself as a critical rationalist) that you are putting your faith in yourself? 

You know there are natives in the jungle that you guys would probably make fun of for bowing down to their idols - but the tragedy here is that you guys are doing the same thing - to your own mind and ideas - but, even beyond that, you don't realize it.

You think a miracle would convert you, but the Scripture says otherwise.  In the parable of the rich man and Lazarus for instance, the rich man wanted to go back and warn his brothers.  God said, "they have Moses and the Prophets.  If they don't believe them, neither will they believe if one rises from the dead". 

Mephibosheth  (experiencing life in Christ, feeling the wind chill)

mephibosheth
TheistTroll
mephibosheth's picture
User is offlineOffline
nigelTheBold

nigelTheBold wrote:

mephibosheth wrote:

Will,

Mephibosheth 

Of course the resurrection is central to the story. God comes down to slum among the humans to get sacrificed. But, since He's God, that really isn't much of a sacrifice, is it?

Oh, I know, the Trinity is the mystery. Jesus wasn't God. But He was God. Sort of. Bound by the Holy Spirit.

But it doesn't matter, because, in the end, according to Christian doctrine, Christ was an aspect of God. He was God incarnate, living the life of a man, but still Divine. So let me ask you: what kind of sacrifice was that, really? That's like me giving up caramel lattes every other day. God loses nothing; as he is omniscient, He can experience the life of being a human any time He wishes, simply by willing the experience. As He is omnipotent, He could come back at any time, and he wouldn't even have to tell anyone.

The sacrifice was a hollow one, especially as it was supposed to take the place of all other sacrifice for our sins. It just doesn't make logical sense, even within the scope of the Bible.

Anyway, the funny thing is, the Gospels each tell the tale differently. As we travel through time (in order that the books were written) from Mark to Matthew to Luke to John, the resurrection tale gets wilder. It starts in Mark as a spiritual visitation-- no physical manifestation is seen. The as we go from Matthew to Luke to John, we go from one angel, and a couple of people seeing the risen Christ, to a full-on parade through Dallas, with Jesus leading. That is, until Pilate shoots the magic bullet from the book conservatory window.

Okay, I took a little license for humor and blasphemy. But you get my point. Each telling grows increasingly magical. The first, in Mark, was simply spiritual, which is easier to believe, but on which it is hard to build a church. Throw in a couple of angels, a whore or two, and a big musical finish, and you've got John. Now that's a resurrection!

In the final analysis, it's hard for a skeptic not to come to the conclusion that this is complete and utter bullshit. Oh, sure, it might taste like redemption, but really, it's bullshit. I'm not surprised you confuse the two; they do taste similarly, although I find that redemption tastes more like crow than bullshit.

Nigel,

Remember Jesus said "Father, forgive them for they know not what they do". 

Mephibosheth  (I was one of them)

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
mephibosheth wrote:You did

mephibosheth wrote:
You did miss something.

Yeah, the crazy train. Ordinarily, I'm as polite as I possibly can be on these boards, but you're absolutely out there.

"What about rational thought?"

"Oh, that's nothing compared to the majesty of Jesus."

The majesty of Jesus may give you fantastic spiritual experience, but it sure as physics didn't come up with the computer you're using to access these forums. You demonstrate how stagnant the mind of a fanatic can be, and it's chilling. By your reckoning, the most enlightened group of people could be found in the Dark Ages, when the only guide was biblical dogma, and people died of whatever plague was fashionable because they didn't know what a germ was.

nigelTheBold
atheist
nigelTheBold's picture
User is offlineOffline
mephibosheth

mephibosheth wrote:

Nigel,

Remember Jesus said "Father, forgive them for they know not what they do". 

Mephibosheth  (I was one of them)

I do remember. However, it is impossible to reconcile God the Father, God the Son, and the Holy Spirit without coming to the conclusion that, they the trinity is merely different aspects of the same God, that the sacrifice was merely good theater. (Mel Gibson sure seemed to think so, anyway.)

I'm just reporting my perspective. I'm willing to suspend disbelief for any good story, but I do expect internal consistency. And that point of the story lacks internal consistency.

What was it exactly that Jesus sacrificed? That's the point I miss.

"Yes, I seriously believe that consciousness is a product of a natural process. I find that the neuroscientists, psychologists, and philosophers who proceed from that premise are the ones who are actually making useful contributions to our understanding of the mind." - PZ Myers

deludedgod
deludedgod's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:You don't see (as you

Quote:

You don't see (as you describe yourself as a critical rationalist) that you are putting your faith in yourself? 

You know there are natives in the jungle that you guys would probably make fun of for bowing down to their idols - but the tragedy here is that you guys are doing the same thing - to your own mind and ideas - but, even beyond that, you don't realize it.

This point has been collaboratively refuted:

Doesn't Everyone Need To Start Out With an Assumption?

Your argument undermines itself by definition, as shown.

EDIT: In addition to todangst, I had also written an extensive refutation of this argument being made by our theistic interlocutor and its philosophical absurdity. This has had to be withdrawn because it is undergoing extensive editing  (the references in the bibliography need to be re-tagged).

-Me

Books about atheism