INTRO TO HISTORY ENROLLMENT THREAD: 1st 'Semester'

Rook_Hawkins
RRS CO-FOUNDER
Rook_Hawkins's picture
User is offlineOffline
INTRO TO HISTORY ENROLLMENT THREAD: 1st 'Semester'

This is the thread in which you will enroll for the class, Introduction to Classical and Modern History, taught by Rook Hawkins. If you want to take this course, simply complete the following pre-course survey (should only take you a few minutes). Please be as honest as possible in answering these. Please submit your answers by replying to this thread. My suggestion is to quote the survey questions individually in one post.

Please note that after the first class starts on THURSDAY you can no longer ENROLL in the course, therefore you are ineligible to get the badge and the access to the private forum. However anybody is welcome to join in the class regardless.

PRE-COURSE SURVEY

NAME:

1. Please complete the following statement: History is...

2. Why did you answer (1) like you did?

3. Where have you picked up these opinions on History?

4. What would be your response if somebody were to challenge that understanding?

5. In the setting of a classroom, what would some of the range of answers to (1) that would be given?

6. Why did you register for this course?

7. Answer the following question: The Bible (is / is not) history because...

8. What sort of wide range of answers would be given in a classroom setting for (7)?

9. What are your expectations for this course?

10a. Have you ever read any of the Historians in the course description?

10b. If so, what context (answer only if applicable):

Enrollment will close (as will this thread) on THURSDAY, June 7th at 3:55pm EST.

Voided
User is offlineOffline
NAME: Voiderest or

NAME: Voiderest or Stephen

1. Please complete the following statement: History is our past as far as we know it.

I viewed as trying to define history. The 'as far as we know' part deals with the idea that the history books tend to be written by the winners/powers at be.

School is probably the place where most of these ideas came from as that would have been the first time sat me down and told me what history is.

4. What would be your response if somebody were to challenge that understanding?

I would ask them their views and try to figure out why our views differ while trying to figure out what it is about my views the person has a problem with. 

5. In the setting of a classroom, what would some of the range of answers to (1) that would be given?

Comical, Definitions, Quotes 

To learn about how history is written or claimed and how we know it is "True." 

The Bible is not history because it includs myth that is trying to put forth an idea about life/existiance. 

8. What sort of wide range of answers would be given in a classroom setting for (6)?

The reasoning would most likly be different for each person, but it the bottem line would be everyone wants to learn. No one can say they have to take the course. 

I will learn about the historians and what they added to the field of history. 

H G Wells

Fiction 

SAVAGEone
SAVAGEone's picture
User is offlineOffline
NAME: Savage  1. Please

NAME: Savage

Usually something that has been chronologically recorded of the past. History is probably the most important thing to get an understanding of because the more we know about our history the more we can accurately predict the future. An example of this would be plate tectonics. We know how large masses of land once were millions of years ago and we see where they have moved from then up until now. Knowing this we can see where these large masses of land will be in the future. History is recorded and being made continuously.  Although it is always being recorded you cannot fully trust all of historical recordings because people do IN FACT lie. Such an example of a false record of history is one I’m sure many of the people answering this pre-course survey will mention called the Bible. Is the bible even history? This will be answered in number seven, but until then I will answer numbers two threw six.

I wanted to keep my answer short and simple simply because it says “anybody is welcome to join in the class regardless.” and I WILL join the class regardless but I didn’t want my answer to just be one sentence and I wanted to show that I really want to be a part of the class. Another reason would be that I was notified at about 3 am the day before the pre-course survey was due. Because of this I didn’t want to make my first answer ten pages long because I would not get ANY sleep. Thanks Rook.

I have picked up these facts and opinions on history from many different resources including history teachers, history books, encyclopedias, dictionaries, religious mythology such as the bible, and my favorite, the internet.

I am not the smartest person in the world but I DO think that I have common sense and I would say BRING IT ON because if I cannot give you a correct to something right away I assure you that I will get it for you. I would also ask people to challenge my understanding because by doing that I think I would gain more knowledge which is my goal in being the class.

Well I would expect that many people would have much longer, much short,  more intelligent, less intelligent answers than mine.  Or at least I would hope that they would because if everyone thought like me then I wouldn’t be able to learn anything from them, and I am hear to learn.

Although I know that anybody is welcome to join in the class regardless.
I would like to have access to the private forums, get the badge, and be able to really be apart of the rational response squad and help continue to historically show the inadequacies of the Bible and early Christians.

According to Websters New World Dictionary history is a known or recorded past. Although I do not believe the bible has a correctly known recorded past, it tries. It is FALSE history and can be proven wrong is many ways and HAS been proven wrong time and time again. It tries to put forth the young earth creation theory which I cannot sum up with any word better than stupid.

8. What sort of wide range of answers would be given in a classroom setting for (6)?
 I’m sure many just flat out say that it is not history but it IS history. Is was written in the past and has, although not a correct, a recording of the past, which much of is not true.  Some might disagree with that  and say that the bible IS history and that it IS correct but I couldn’t sum my opinions of those people any better that I summed up the young earth creation theory in answer seven.

I expect to learn a great deal of what is true/not true about history from Rook.  Although I denied his existence on youtube.com I have faith, for lack of a better word, that he will still be there to help out.  I expect to have to read a lot and put some effort into the class but high school is out for the summer so I will have no problem at all in doing so. My expectations are high.

No I have not but I would like to read Richard Carriers  “Sense and Goodness Without God: A Defense of Metaphysical Naturalism” and “The DaVinci Fraud: Why the Truth is Stranger than Fiction” by Robert M. Price.

Well this isn’t applicable so I guess this is the end of my pre-course survey. Peace.

You've been spoon fed belief and you don't even see it, You just absorbed the religion that's native to your region - Greydon Square

Yellow_Number_Five
atheistRRS Core MemberScientist
Yellow_Number_Five's picture
User is offlineOffline
Rook_Hawkins

Rook_Hawkins wrote:

NAME:

Mike

Quote:

Anything that happened before now. More specifically, the scholarly study of such.

Quote:

Partly to be curt and cute, but mostly, because that's what I've always seen it as and know I need to learn more about it, as I've concerned myself with other studies for much of my life and need to expand my horizons.

Quote:

My own brain and interactions with my peers. Frankly, most scientists, including myself, don't have a very good handle of this sort of thing. History in my line of work are fossils and molecular clocks. I don't need to deal with opinions and biases and interpolations and conflicting accounts - I want to learn how historians do.

Quote:

A swift kick in the nuts, followed by a willingness to consider what was said.

Quote:

Well, I think I gave as generic an answer as possible, but I'd wager the answer will range from people saying history is written by the "winners" and is generally greatly biased by opinion and culture to those who say it is a tool for twisting and justifying current agendas to those who say it is simply a pure and noble pursuit of the truth.

Quote:
6. Why did you register for this course

To expand my understanding of a subject I'm not nearly as versed in as I should be.

Quote:

It's both. There are some accurate historical accounts and places and figures in the Bible, but it is backset against a mythical, fictional tale - sort of like how Charles Dickens included actual people and places in his fictional stories.

Quote:
8. What sort of wide range of answers would be given in a classroom setting for (7)?

Anywhere from literal truth to total fiction.

Quote:

To be enlightened.

Quote:

Carrier, Price, Wells.

Quote:

Their books and online and magazine articles.

Looking forward to it, Rook. Ag1 !

I am against religion because it teaches us to be satisfied with not understanding the world. - Richard Dawkins

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

LunarShadow
User is offlineOffline
    PRE-COURSE SURVEY

PRE-COURSE SURVEY

NAME: Lunar Shadow

1. Please complete the following statement: History is the scholorly study of past events

2. Why did you answer (1) like you did? it seemed to best suit it

3. Where have you picked up these opinions on History? in my dealings with various historians of one stripe or another

4. What would be your response if somebody were to challenge that understanding? I would be open to hearing any case granted it wasn't fallacious or circular

5. In the setting of a classroom, what would some of the range of answers to (1) that would be given? there are few that come to mind like Past events writen by the victors of wars, the past, the study of past events. to name a few

6. Why did you register for this course? I have a passion for learning and want to add to my base of knowledge

7. Answer the following question: The Bible (is / is not) history because... may have some historical elements but is not history

8. What sort of wide range of answers would be given in a classroom setting for (7)? I can only see 4 answers the one I gave the one opisite to what I gave and is or is not history

9. What are your expectations for this course? I am not certain but I do hope it will be a good experiance

10a. Have you ever read any of the Historians in the course description? a bit but not too much just enought to know who a few of them are.

Thanks for this oppurtunity Rook you work in this manner is much appriciated

(now if only I could spell right or if this board has a spell check)

ugzog
Bronze Member
ugzog's picture
User is offlineOffline
Rook_Hawkins wrote:

Rook_Hawkins wrote:

PRE-COURSE SURVEY

NAME:

Ernie Dichiara aka Ugzog

1. Please complete the following statement: History is... accumulated knowledge of the society of man to date.

We either learn from history, or we doomed to repeat it.

History and Discovery Channel

I would expect my understanding to be changed daily, knowledge is a cumulative process, not a static one.

I would require dates, contemporary resoure to reference against, and maybe to challenge with existing ideas. 

I want to be better armed in all aspects of my atheism. I know their is no God, but I don't have all the insight to always defend my position. I want to be able to respond and identify fallaces that I am being attacked with be it historical, evolution, or Philosophy.  

The Bible is history, be it rewritten to push an agenda.

Comparing the history of the Bible to other written histories of the time. Basically weed out the Bullshit.

To learn

No

Enrollment will close (as will this thread) on Tuesday, June 5th at 3:55pm EST.

Man is the only animal in all of nature that cannot accept its own mortality.

Mjhavok
User is offlineOffline
PRE-COURSE SURVEY - ANSWERS

PRE-COURSE SURVEY - ANSWERS

NAME: Mjhavok

Answer: History is the study of the past.

Answer: Tried to put it simply. Commonly understood history is what has come before the present. It is also the study of what came before.

Answer: I can't think of where. Perhaps school. Things I have read.

Answer: Depends what they where challenging it with.

Answer: "The past"

Answer: Answer: "A quote like "history is written by the victor" lol

Answer: "Some joke about the teacher being really old"

Answer: Did you mean a school classroom?

Answer: It is one of my weaker subjects and I try and learn about everything, even a little, even if it isn't my area of interest.

Answer: A bunch of the people who wrote it most likely had neurosyphilis or a tumour?

Answer: The bible is a big part of the study of histroy because it has influenced a lot.

Answer: I like to make fun of peoples answers not think of them lol.

Answer: Seriously. Some people may point out inaccurices in the bible or contradictions or say It isn't written as a history textbook really.

Answer: Minimal (that says nothing about you). I just hope to learn about something I know little of.

Answer: I have heard and read a little about Caesar and Josephus but for the most part no.

Answer: See answer 10.a.

"For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. "
- Carl Sagan

"Tantum eruditi sunt liberi"

"We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the

jasonhoblin
Bronze Member
jasonhoblin's picture
User is offlineOffline
PRE-COURSE SURVEY

Quote:
NAME:

jasonhoblin (Jason Hoblin)

Quote:

The record of people, places and events of the past.

Quote:

Its my understanding of the definition of history.

Quote:

School, people, the media.

Quote:

Listen, evaluate, and respond.

Quote:

a. study of the past;
b. repeatable;
c. boring;
d. how things came to be as they are.

Quote:

To learn.

Quote:

Trick question. The bible is has some historical data and genologies, while most of it is myth and folk lore.

Quote:

a. is
b. is not

Quote:

Learn about the study of history and its methods. Develop informed responces for historically inaccurate arguments.

Quote:

No. 

Quote:

^jasonhoblin

jackal
jackal's picture
User is offlineOffline
PRE-COURSE SURVEY   NAME:

PRE-COURSE SURVEY

NAME: jackal

1. Please complete the following statement:

History is... boring when it is just names, dates and locations of battles and reins. History is interesting when it examines the culture of different places and time periods, the "why"s of what happened instead of just the "what"s.

It was the first thing that came to mind.

I picked up the boring part in high school and the interesting part from the Art History class I took in college

Clearly, that person holds different interests than me.

I think most people would give a more traditional, dictionary deffinition like, "History is the study of past events, people and places."

I hope to lean more about history relating to the claims of the Bible, Torah and Koran so that I may smite my idealogical enemies.

The parts of the Bible that are corroborated by other historic texts are history because they are supported by outside sources. The rest are not because they are not supported by outside sources.

That depends on the setting of the classroom. In a school that is affiliated with fundamentalist Christians, the answer would be "yes, it's the word of God, so it must be true." In a school with a Communist affiliation, the answer would be "no, because it's just religious lies."

I expect to get a critical look at what is history and what is not, with some examples that touch on events depicted in the Bible/Torah.

Not yet, but I have heard some of them speak in The God Who Wasn't There.

HellyK
User is offlineOffline
NAME:Helly.K 1. Please

NAME:Helly.K

1. Please complete the following statement:

History is...information about any event from the past.

Because I think it's a good answer for your question.

The definition of "history" is not an opinion. Did you mean something like, what influenced me to come up with the definition that I have for what history means? If that's what you meant to say, then my answer is "the dictionary" and logic.

I would make sure that we are talking about the same thing, and then I would try to find out why we disagree.

No idea, I guess something similar to what I answered.

I'm curious to see how the class works, plus the fact that I'm intrested in educating myself on the subject.

The bible is not history, instead I would say that the bible is part of history.

I don't know, I would like to think is something along the lines of what I said, or better.

I expect the class to be worth my time.

Not yet.

Now I have a couple of questions for you Rook, if that's ok.

a. If I don't want to take the test(s) that you mentioned in the description of the course, would I be kicked out of the class?

b. If I happen to miss a class, would I be allowed to attend the rest of the classes? and If the answer is yes, would I be able to get some sort of online summary of the class I missed, so that I can catch up and be prepared for the next class?

Thanks !

WolfgangSenff
WolfgangSenff's picture
User is offlineOffline
Rook_Hawkins wrote: This

Rook_Hawkins wrote:

This is the thread in which you will enroll for the class, Introduction to Classical and Modern History, taught by Rook Hawkins. If you want to take this course, simply complete the following pre-course survey (should only take you a few minutes). Please be as honest as possible in answering these. Please submit your answers by replying to this thread. My suggestion is to quote the survey questions individually in one post.

Please note that after the first class starts on Tuesday you can no longer ENROLL in the course, therefore you are ineligible to get the badge and the access to the private forum. However anybody is welcome to join in the class regardless.

PRE-COURSE SURVEY

NAME: Wolfgang

History is a representation of our past which is considered to be factually accurate and based on written and archaeological evidence.

It seemed to make the most sense to me to define it that way. If we based it only on written assumptions, then anything that was written would be regarded as true, so we need archaeological evidence. But along the same lines, if we only had archaeological evidence, it would be much less likely for us to know what people thought of said evidence at the time, which is an important thing to know if we are to understand said history.

I just came up with them. From my past, my history classes stunk and were incredibly boring, but I didn't want to give that answer because I don't think it would be fair to you.

I would ask them to list their reasons why my definition is inaccurate/incomplete. If their arguments make logical sense, I would change my definition accordingly. If not, I'd point out why I thought they were wrong, and so on.

I'm assuming this to be asking, "In a classroom, what would others answer 1 to, do you think?" I would say the following:

History is a boring subject from high school.

History is good to study so that the bad parts of it are not repeated.

History is what kept me out of Stanford.

I'm utterly smitten with understanding history so that I can appropriately quote people when talking with others to convert them to atheism/agnosticism. Furthermore, it's a subject I was never really interested in until I started coming to RRS, and now I'm really, really interested in it. There are parts I've clearly never read before, and that makes me all mushy inside. Or something.

The Bible is not history because there exist impossibilities and contradictions within it. Furthermore, science has shown that much of it can only be taken as metaphor. History is not a metaphor, although it's somewhat interesting to think about how it could be.

Hmm. This is a harder one. I'm sure some of the class, if not most of it, if it were American, would say that the Bible is history because it explains so much of how the earth came about and so forth. The other people in the class would probably say that it's not a factually accurate account of anything, so it can't be considered history.

I expect to come away astounded by history.

I don't believe so. I am getting the Richard Carrier book soon, as well I have seen him and Richard Price in The God Who Wasn't There, and I am currently reading a book you hadn't listed: The Demon-Haunted World, by Carl Sagan. Maybe it shouldn't be considered history, but I think it has a lot of history contained therein.

Oh. I kinda answered this in part a. Other than that, I haven't really read any of the historians that are the main pieces used throughout.

"Jesus -- the other white Moses" - Me.

Supergravity
User is offlineOffline
Completed Pre-Course Survey

Quote:
PRE-COURSE SURVEY

NAME:

Supergravity

Quote:

...the study of past people, places, and events.

Quote:

I answered Question 1 as I did because it is a simple explanation of what history is, without getting into details about the differences between what people assume happened in the past, what acutally happened in the past, and what we can deduce from available preserved sources.

Quote:

Exposure to history courses in college, recreational reading.

Quote:

I am open to new ways to look at history, whether to challenge the definition I have or to expand it.

Quote:

Many people would refuse to believe that what they had been taught previously might be incorrect, or that there may be more to a historical situation than they were previously aware of.  Some would accept the challenge as a means for growth.

Quote:

I have had an interest in ancient history for most of my life, though I have not explored this area as much as I would have liked.  This seems like an excellent opportunity to expand my knowledge in this area.

Quote:

...though it is old, and hence 'historical', it is not an actual history.  Too much of it's contents are obviously non-historical to make it in any way a reliable book of 'history'.

Quote:

Some students would claim that the bible was a complete true history.  Some would claim that it had historical aspects.  Some would claim it was largely a-historical, but had historical events inserted to make it more believeable.

Quote:

I expect to come away with a much deeper and more through understanding of the classical world.

Quote:

Ceasar, Wells, Carrier

Quote:

Ceasar - part of a Latin IV project in High School was to translate portions of the Gallic Wars.
Wells - only his fiction
Carrier - I read his blog Smiling

Renee Obsidianwords
High Level DonorModeratorRRS local affiliate
Renee Obsidianwords's picture
User is offlineOffline
application

1. Please complete the following statement: History is an account by an individual or group of past events. History is also the events that have happened that not only drove these individuals or groups to chronicle them, but have formed our current lives : cause and effect.

Because that is what I see as the illustration of history

No where in particular. The conclusion was drawn by observation and analyzing.

I would appreciate the opinion and challenge myself to see their perspective.

History:

#1 Something that happened in the past

#2 Something that through a specific individuals eyes can't possibly be true as everyone sees in a different perspective

I feel that I am lacking a sufficient understanding of the history of the world.

7. Answer the following question:

The Bible IS history because it depicts certain cultural methods and customs.

#1 No because the bible is gods word, the living word, not in the past in the now.

#2 No because if you accept parts of the bible as truth then the other parts must be true too.

#3 Yes because the bible is gods word and accounts for all the history of that that time.

#4 No because there have been so many re-writes over the years it couldn't possibly be accurate as a historic text.

To help make connections with bits and pieces of historical information that I have gathered over the years. I want to create a timeline in my head to gain better understanding and clarity on those bits and pieces.

Richard Carrier.

Only a very small report regarding the cannonization of the new testament.

Slowly building a blog at ~

http://obsidianwords.wordpress.com/

Renee Obsidianwords
User is offlineOffline
application

[mod edit: extra posting]

Teresa Nichols
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
NAME:  Teresa Nichols 1.

NAME:  Teresa Nichols

. . . mostly a lot of political propaganda about the past with facts, dates, and some real or mythological intrigue thrown in. It's only that which has been recorded about the past.  We can make only some very educated guesses about pre-history (unless Sky Daddy "inspires" someone to write an addition to the Bible).

The history lessons that I have personally observed and recall from my own forty-some years tell me this.  Also, I recall a university English prof who reminded us that history is all lies, and that's why he changed his major to Literature, which is often more truthful than history.

Speaking of Literature, I think Biblical history certainly demonstrates a good deal of bias, if not outright racism against various "out" groups.  Much historical information, including the Bible, derives from the interpretations of the writers/storytellers; or from the mood of the emperor or king or high priest of the moment, which severely limited how information about then-current events would have been transmitted.  This still applies to history-writing, even in democratic cultures.

Thankfully, there is more than one account of some historical events.  The information is usually slanted towards the "winners" or cultural heroes or based on the patriotic, nationalistic status quo/zeitgeist, but not always.  Sometimes, I suppose, the losers are lucky enough to be literate and to be able to write something down that is not destroyed by the "winners" of cultural or other wars, and/or the history is handed down through oral tradition until it's recorded.  I think that's also how many historical legends are created - first by word of mouth, then in writing. 

I specifically recall that a pharaoh had all records of a rival or of a defeat (or such) erased and/or destroyed.  I don't recall how this has been verified by modern historians, but I remember  reflecting how extremely time-consuming and exacting a task it must have been to remove carved, engraved cuneiform records from buildings and tablets all over Egypt. 

Surely this kind of thing has been practiced more than a few times in the history of the world.  Politicians and textbook writers can frame certain events in a more flattering, or even neutral, or just plain biased way than might be helpful to one's learning process. 

Literature, humanities and social science classes, history classes at the community college, public t.v., Public Radio; and  definitely, blame the UnitariansWink.

"Show me evidence that it's not so; show me how recorded history is all absolute truth."  I'm pretty sure that's not going to happen, but I'm here to learn . . .

It would depend on the maturity and knowledge level of the students.  Everything from "boring" to what I said.

Because I am fairly ignorant and would like to change that.

The Bible is history because much of history is lies, and because it meets a bit of the criteria that I unwittingly outlined for it above.

"The Bible is the absolute word of God and everything it says is true, so, of course its history is true."

"The Bible is complete balderdash.  I won't even look at it for historical information."

"The Bible has some legitimate and important insights for historians about the ancient world, despite its bias, racism, genocidal instructives and crazy-quilt writing.  In fact, perhaps because of those features, we can learn a great deal from it about the ancient world. . ."

To learn something new, meet some like-minded people, open my mind to history; much of it has bored me; I hope not to be bored by it, but to come away thinking, "Wow!  I wish I knew that before.  Why did I find it so boring before?"

Only excerpts here and there over the years; no in depth reading that I can recall.

Renee Obsidianwords
User is offlineOffline
application

Teresa Nichols
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
NAME: Teresa Nichols

Teresa Nichols
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
NAME: Teresa Nichols

Rook_Hawkins
RRS CO-FOUNDER
Rook_Hawkins's picture
User is offlineOffline
In regards to some of those

In regards to some of those questions:

If you miss a class or two, you're not going to get kicked out, nor will you get kicked out if you choose not to take the tests.  However, the quizes guage your grade, and your grade guages whether you 'pass' or 'fail.'  In other words, if you fail the course, you don't get the badge or the access to the private forum.  It's a meritocracy basically, those who do the work get the bonuses.  Anybody can listen to the classes, but if you don't enroll you won't have the opporunity to gain access to those features.

To Summarize:

1. If you miss a class, a worksheet will be given to you to make up the work that day (not a heavy workload).
  2. If you miss quiz, you wiull be given the quiz to do on your own time, handed in at the next scheduled class.
  3. The shows will most likely be recorded and will be viewable.

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server, which houses Celebrity Atheists. Books by Rook Hawkins (Thomas Verenna)

HellyK
User is offlineOffline
Thanks for the information

Thanks for the information rook Smile

Zombie
RRS local affiliate
Zombie's picture
User is offlineOffline
Name: Zombie210

The study of the past,

Simply put, its the simplest, most literal answer I could think of.

From self-study, I have always enjoyed reading, my statement seems to fit that.

I would ask why it was wrong intheir opinion and try to get an explantion, I`m open to having my mind changed.

Variations of mine, if that doesn`t sound too arrogrant.

Curiousity, and the desire for more ammunition to debate thiests with.

Most of it cannot be proven through science.

I would expect them to be more emotional than mine, given the effect religion has hadon people.

I'm hoping to meet some hot atheist babes. Smiling
Actually, my hope is to learn more about the subject matter.

10a. Have you ever read any of the Historians in the course description.

You, Caesar and tacticus, mostly for the military history angle.

Morte alla tyrannus et dei

ISH
ISH's picture
User is offlineOffline
PRE-COURSE

PRE-COURSE SURVEY

NAME:ISH

An analysis/examination of what has happened in the past.

That is my understanding of the topic in fairly broad terms.

Partly from my education, and partly from having a broad range of interests.

I would welcome that - it's by the challenging of ideas that we modify those ideas and gain further understanding.

My own definition in (1) was very broad - covering pretty much everything which has happened since one second ago.  However history can be focussed  in many ways - for example:

Arts / Culture - How did people in the past express themselves artistically?  What can be learnt about their broader society from their art?
Economics - How did the people support themselves.  Were they agrarian farmers in isolated communities, supporting themselves? Were they part of a large complex urban society?
Philosophical - What were the current ideas within a society.  How did they think?
Politics - who held politcal control of a particular society at a particular time, what sort of power did they hold etc
Science - How did the people of the historical period being studied understand the world around them?
Technology - How did the technology of the period affect the people living at the time.
Theology - Which religious beliefs were prevalent?

The topics mentioned above cover just a few of the areas which history might touch upon.  The questions mentioned for each topic are examples, and I would not wish to suggest that they cover more than the minutest fraction of the potential areas for study.  I would also note that these subjects are not independent of each other in any way.  

Several reasons...
a)    I've enjoyed the debates in the rationalresponders fora and have found it to be a stimulating environment.
b)    I enjoy learning about history
c)     I've become an increasingly 'militant' atheist over the years and I'm looking for ammunition.

I don't think either statement is true.  A document (such as the Bible or the Domesday Book) can never be history.
A document is historical evidence - but it is only evidence of what people were writing.   

At the extremes you might find some who would argue that the Bible is a work of pure fiction and of no historical value, you might find others who would argue that it is the pure unadulterated truth and that any document which contradicts it must be wrong.
Between these extremes there might be:
People who find some historical value in the bible as a document.
People who see the events recorded within the bible as metaphorical but still regard it as having a purpose in terms of religious or moral guidance.

In brief a wide spectrum of opinions are held about the veracity and value of the bible, and in a classroom one might hear many views about that book.

I have no expectations...but I hope to:
a) learn something new
b) debate and discuss historical issues with interesting and intelligent people

Yes

Tacitus - The Annals Of Imperial Rome - read in English translation (read it out of interest)
Tacitus - Agricola - read extracts in Latin at school as part of GCSE Latin (many, many years ago)

Arletta
Arletta's picture
User is offlineOffline
NAME: Arletta Q.   1.

NAME: Arletta Q.

1. Please complete the following statement: History is...  the record of our journey.

2. Why did you answer (1) like you did?  Since the dawn of time life has been on an ever changing jjourney, only recently has the details of parts of a journey been documented.  History is what we have done to get to the future.

3. Where have you picked up these opinions on History? I honestly don't know, I think I may have made it up.

4. What would be your response if somebody were to challenge that understanding?  Tell me more.

5. In the setting of a classroom, what would some of the range of answers to (1) that would be given?  This is a history class so my personal feelings wouldn't belong in a classroom setting of this type.

6. Why did you register for this course?  I'm new to atheism activism and am still looking for my nitch, for my, shall we say, speciality.  Untill then, I want to broaden my horizons.

7. Answer the following question: The Bible (is / is not) history because... is not history anymore than tales of Paul Bunyan and Johnny Appleseed are history. 

8. What sort of wide range of answers would be given in a classroom setting for (7)?  The bible has no place in a history class unless we're looking at how religions have influenced decisions thru out history.  It should never be used as a reference or source for information.

9. What are your expectations for this course?  I have no expectations.  I haven't been in a classroom in over a decade, I have no idea what I'm getting myself into.

10a. Have you ever read any of the Historians in the course description? No.

10b. If so, what context (answer only if applicable): N/A

Otishpote
Superfan
Otishpote's picture
User is offlineOffline
Name: Otishpote (Wayne) 1.

Name: Otishpote (Wayne)

.... the chronicling of people, events, and other changes over time, and the compiling of opinions on what caused the same and opinions on how they influenced other people and events. The search for the most elegant and justifiable theories for how the present came to be how it is. The studying of clues left from one era, while minimizing distortions from later eras. I think a good historical theory should shed light on where to look for even more clues about that time and place, which should help further refine the theory, in a continuous loop. I think historical theories are often best judged probable or improbable; only in special cases can we be justified in considering them as certainly true or false.

I know Richard Carrier says history didn't really become a science until recently - I am not sure the full extent of what he means by that, except that modern historians are more skeptical regarding the impact of individual bits of evidence.

Cause the only contact we have with the past is clues that remain in the here and now, somewhat eroded by the passage of time, and our ability to reason. Thinking about the past (and the future for that matter) is just another part of understanding how things are here and now, and our imagination in considering what sorts of changes are possible.

Maybe I picked some up from thinking too much about physics; from reading Rook and other Jesus Mythicist authors; and from trying to apply my own common sense. I am more of a generalist, just curious about various things, and my interest in history is merely part of that. My other interests are in physical sciences, computer science, philosophy, and now photography. But once I was shocked to discover that conventional theories of early Christian history are quite improbable, I have been curious to learn how much better and different of a theory can be formulated and justified.

I try my best to assimilate the best of all views, and constantly revise my own. And having multiple answers is fine when they compliment each other. On the other hand, if any challenge is patently absurd, I'll mock it as politely and as humorously as I can, if time and company allows.

A simple statement that it is the study of the past; pointing out that there is a lot of interpretation and disagreement involved; talking about specific approaches to finding clues about the past such as archaelogy and ancient literature; particular theories about how and why the world has changed over time; acceptance or denial that humanity is on some predistined course, a showing of how certain themes repeat over time.

My knowledge of basic history is weaker than I'd like. Plus I want to learn more about how Rook thinks. Plus I forget how lazy I am and how much I hated school before, and think I can actually stick to this. I'll only be able to make the 11pm EST course, given I work until 5pm Pacific Time. I normally have other plans Thursday night. I am still considering how to fit this in.

Like any ancient text, it is a product of its times, and thus necessarily tells us something about those times, even it if it not what we were asking. Finding out whatever it can tell us about the past, THAT IS HISTORY. That may require a lot of reading between the lines. This might not lead to the same theory that a strict literal reading of the text provides.

But the stories chronicled in the Bible are not all internally consistent or in agreement with other evidence we have from that era. How much the Biblical narratives correspond to events that actually occured is an interesting and open question. I am convinced that Genesis is mythology. Whether King Solomon existed, I am unsure. I think the gospel of Mark was first intended as a parable, not a chronicle of actual events. The Bible also shows evidence of having a specific theological and political agendas, which might be taken as evidence that its authors had little desire to chronicle the past accurately.

Some would say it is all precisely true since God inspired it, and they may presupose the results of archaelogy to vindicate that view. Others would say that while certain parts, such as Genesis, are certainly mythology, that the Bible still gives an mostly accurate picture of ancient Israel from the time of King David and onward. Others have questioned even that. Some would claim the gospels contain clues about a real historical Jesus, maybe with layers of exaggeration and reinterpretation added. Others would claim the gospel of Mark was originally just a placing of theological opinions into a human setting, for the sake of making them more accessible to the initiates, and was never meant to be taken as historical truth at all. Others may even claim the many biblical authors had malicious intent and wrote lies deliberately to control people, or influence politics.

To get more familar with historians Rook finds significant, and get a better feel for how Rook thinks. To learn how to better develope and test historical theories. To eventually be able to better understand myself how Christianity arose, and justify my view to others.

I've read some Eusebius. I have a copy of Josephus, but haven't gotten into reading it. I've partially read one book by Bart Ehrman and various essays by Richard Carrier. I have several other of Ehrmans books on my "to read later" shelf.

Eusebius - History of the Church, Bart Ehrman - Misquoting Jesus.

This was written at the last minute, and while I am lacking needed sleep. Please pardon obvious errors of any sort. Eye-wink

Achilles308
User is offlineOffline
Class Pre Survey

PRE-COURSE SURVEY
NAME: James (achilles308)

History is the systematic study of past people, places, and events using various lines of evidence.

That is my meager understanding of history...

I picked those opinions up from the great Georgia public school system and a public college. I also have gained some knowledge from various independent studies / content.

I would evaluate the evidence and claims and adjust my view based on logical deductions.

I’m not sure….

I have a desire to learn about the people and topics.

I would have to guess that the bible its self is history. It is after all a contemporary piece of literature. This however, does not mean it is historically accurate.

I don’t know…

I expect to be challenged and pushed to learn great interesting content.

Nope... sadly

N/A

NOTE to professor: I have a planned vacation next week. Therefore, I will be forced to miss the 12th and 14th class date in June as well as that week’s quiz.

robert314
User is offlineOffline
NAME: Robert Alvarez   1.

NAME: Robert Alvarez

bound to repeat itself if you do not learn from it.

I've always found that to be a very applicable quote in many contexts, not just the historical one. I have also been very fond of History and always wanted to get a minor in it at my University, but my other course work required too much time.

From my favorite History Professor, Dr. Charles Cox

I would give them proof (at this point I'd have to look it up) from where important characters in History didn't learn from their predecessors and ended up making similar mistakes.

Similar answers as the ones mentioned above.

I have always been a fan of History and there isn't a better feeling in the world, than the feeling gained by learning something new.

7. Answer the following question: The Bible is not history because...

there are characters and situations of extreme significance on the plight of early Christians that are never seen or recorded anywhere except in The Bible.

Depending on the religious backgrounds of people, answers would vary that The Bible is the 'true' word of God and that those characters must be real since He wrote about them. The skeptics answers would mirror mine with a few varying details.

To learn as much as possible about Classical Historians and the methods used to corroborate facts and evidence about our early past.

Caesar, H.G. Wells, Richard Carrier

I learned about Caesar extensively as a Freshman in College in a course dealing with Ancient History. I've read H.G. Wells' book "The Time Machine" and have only heard of Richard Carrier.

Thanks again for doing this program, I'm sure it'll be a HUGE success. Who knows, we might end up getting more enrollments than DeVry University!!

If you guys need a Physics or a Math Professor to teach some of your classes, I would gladly be of assistance.

Sapient
High Level DonorRRS CO-FOUNDERRRS Core MemberWebsite Admin
User is offlineOffline
robert314 wrote: If you

robert314 wrote:

If you guys need a Physics or a Math Professor to teach some of your classes, I would gladly be of assistance.

We could use a physics course.  Are you a teacher?

AModestProposal
AModestProposal's picture
User is offlineOffline
Rook_Hawkins wrote: This

Rook_Hawkins wrote:

Please note that after the first class starts on Tuesday you can no longer ENROLL in the course, therefore you are ineligible to get the badge and the access to the private forum. However anybody is welcome to join in the class regardless.

PRE-COURSE SURVEY

NAME: Michael

1. Please complete the following statement: History is...the scientific stu of uncovering the truth of the past

2. Why did you answer (1) like you did? With its emphasis on evidence, I think History qualifies as a science.

3. Where have you picked up these opinions on History? Public school education, college

4. What would be your response if somebody were to challenge that understanding? Weigh the arguments and determine which logically makes most sense.

5. In the setting of a classroom, what would some of the range of answers to (1) that would be given? Maybe history is the study of the past, or the agreed upon myth of the past, something to that effect. Maybe the cynical will say it's past as decided by the winners of wars.

6. Why did you register for this course? I've heard Rook pwn many a Christian with an impressive knowledge of the literature discussing the historical findings regarding the creation of the bible.

7. Answer the following question: The Bible (is / is not) history because...The Bible is not history because the accounts contradict one another, and much was put down in writting after first spreading orally where it was not uncommon for the teller to include suppositions and exaggeration like with Greek tales such as the Iliad. Further little to no artifacts can be found to back up these stories. 
8. What sort of wide range of answers would be given in a classroom setting for (7)?I think most people believe there was at least a historical Jesus because they find it hard to break away completely from and bible and accept it as pure fiction.

9. What are your expectations for this course? If I walk away with even a little more understanding of how to determine a good historical source from a bad one and even a little more about how we can know whether accounts in the bible are true, I'll be happy.

Onlly very brief passages from Caesar and Tacitus

hereticgirl
User is offlineOffline
1st semester

NAME:

Hereticgirl

1. History is...

A written or verbal account of past events. These accounts are not always accurate, as a result of the historians'(or editor's) biases.

2.) Why did you answer (1) like you did.

Because history can be edited for specific reasons  such as using history as a propoganda tool or to paint certain situations in a 'different light' to add or take away emphasis on certain events for a groups political/social agenda.

3.) Where have you picked up these opinions of history?

Generally, I noticed a huge difference in the facts supplied by high school textbooks vs. college textbooks/educators. High school history is what I like to call the cotton candy variety, whereas, college does not neglect to dig deeper into all aspects of history. I've also formed this opinion from other books and articles I have read over the years on various subjects.

4. What would be your response if someone were to challenge that understanding?

I would offer evidence that supports my understanding.

The textbook definition of history would be given, mostly and I think many would also agree with my definition.

6. Why did you register for this class.

The information I'll gain from this course will

broaden my base of knowlege and be extremely helpful in my day to day business of the secular students organization I'm helping to build on campus!

7. Answer the following question: The Bible (is/is not) history because...

The Bible itself and the effects of religion are a part of history, but the Bible is not a documentation of actual history, in my opinion. It is a work of fiction, with bits of information about factual people and events littered about its pages.

Being from the south, most students would say that the bible is an actual, factual, account of history, but I have never heard a history professor say the bible is a factual and reliable account of history, if even 'histoy, at all.

Again, to broaden my base of knowlege and increase my ability to effectively argue about these topics with others.

I'm sure that I have in college, but I'm embarassed to say that I don't remember which works we studied.

10b. college discussions

Des Sab
Des Sab's picture
User is offlineOffline
NAME: Rich (Des) 1. Please

NAME: Rich (Des)

1. Please complete the following statement: History is the period of time that has taken place since human kind discovered writing.

When thinking about the question that was the first thing to come to me.

3. Where have you picked up these opinions on History?  Most likley school.  spending the last six years of your life with a course of history tends to leave you with types of opinions

4. What would be your response if somebody were to challenge that understanding?  Tell them to show it to me.  with the plethera of books and knowledge of history i would think a challange could be proven

Any were from the deffinition to what history as done for human kind

to further my knowledge of our past.  And to see the thinking of the time. 

7. Answer the following question: The Bible (is / is not) history because history is based on facts we all know that the bible is not.

It would depend on the type of people in the class. Theist would say it is history, Atheist would say it is not, and the ones in the middle would say that parts of it is history.

To be able to learn what the Historians have written, and to see the thinking of the time all under a stress free inviroment

I would have to say no to reading any of their materials but i have studied a couble of them

femchauvinist74
femchauvinist74's picture
User is offlineOffline
Precourse survey

PRE-COURSE SURVEY

NAME: LaVaughn

Told through the victor's point of view

For the most part because it's true.

The fact that growing up, I was told one thing about the religion I was in, and finding out an opposing point of view from people who had left, and had the forethought of writing it all down (if you're wondering, it was the Jehovah's Witnesses)

If someone can rig the Presidential election, why can't they give history their own slant?

5. In the setting of a classroom, what would some of the range of answers to (1) that would be given? Good question....I don't know.

Mostly because I want to get my facts all in a row when debating with a zealot.

NOT history because not only is it not consistent, but reads like a badly sewn patchwork quilt...not to mention the fact that it is written in a way that would behoove you to abandon all logic.

The origin of the parables presented, the reason why some books were not included in the bible and why.

9. What are your expectations for this course? To expand my knowledge base and therefore become more the wiser.

Nope.

"Organized religion is a sham and a crutch for weak-minded people who need strength in numbers. It tells people to go out and stick their noses in other people's business."

1225Truth
1225Truth's picture
User is offlineOffline
I only became apparent of

I only became apparent of this thread at 3:50PM.  So I guess i won't be enrolling.  

Rook_Hawkins
RRS CO-FOUNDER
Rook_Hawkins's picture
User is offlineOffline
THERE HAS BEEN  A CHANGE

THERE HAS BEEN  A CHANGE OF SCHEDULE!!  THE FIRST CLASS WILL NOW BE THURSDAY NOT TUESDAY!!  IF YOU STILL WISH TO ENROLL YOU NOW HAVE AN EXTRA TWO DAYS TO DO SO!!!

SORRY FOR THE INCONVENIENCE!!!! 

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server, which houses Celebrity Atheists. Books by Rook Hawkins (Thomas Verenna)

Shanks
Shanks's picture
User is offlineOffline
PRE-COURSE

PRE-COURSE SURVEY

NAME:Shanks

1. Please complete the following statement: History is the study of past events.

2. Why did you answer (1) like you did? Because that is what Wikipedia told me.

3. Where have you picked up these opinions on History? It is what I've read in books and what I've seenon the History Channel.

4. What would be your response if somebody were to challenge that understanding? I am open to anything.

5. In the setting of a classroom, what would some of the range of answers to (1) that would be given? A wide variety of what people think is History.

6. Why did you register for this course? To learn.

7. Answer the following question: The Bible (is / is not) history because...The Bible is history because it is an old book that has influenced billions of people, but what the Bible says it not all facts.

8. What sort of wide range of answers would be given in a classroom setting for (7)? Everything you could think of if the class is big enough.

9. What are your expectations for this course? To learn about historical events.

10a. Have you ever read any of the Historians in the course description? No.

Jessica0
Jessica0's picture
User is offlineOffline
      PRE-COURSE SURVEY

PRE-COURSE SURVEY

NAME: Jessica

the branch of knowledge dealing with past events.

because that is what dictionary.com says.

see above

I am open to anybodys belief

about what has been given

I am on school break and I don't have alot to do....I don't get to take any history courses as I am a science major.

I guess it is a part of history. I would consider greek mythology to be a part of history also. I believe we have learned alot about greek culture from greek mythology.

about what has been given

To learn about something that I don't know much about

I have read some of H G Wells' fiction but I didn't even know he was a historian.

“When I get a little money I buy books; and if any is left I buy food and clothes.” Desiderius Erasmus

NoGodJon (not verified)
User is offlineOffline
  PRE-COURSE SURVEY

PRE-COURSE SURVEY

NAME: Jon Lauro (NoGodJon)

1. Please complete the following statement: History is the future.

2. Why did you answer (1) like you did? History teaches to many lessons of the future to ignore.

3. Where have you picked up these opinions on History? By learning it and seeing the similarites of the past and now.

4. What would be your response if somebody were to challenge that understanding? I would simply point out experience dictates action.

5. In the setting of a classroom, what would some of the range of answers to (1) that would be given? Many things from how we are today to whats in sight for the future.

6. Why did you register for this course? To understand and to be on the same page with history with everybody in the community.

7. Answer the following question: The Bible (is / is not) history because...is NOT history because many events in the bible are just mythical and the FSM.

8. What sort of wide range of answers would be given in a classroom setting for (7)? Is: The word of god.

Is Not: lies, fairytale, proven failure...

9. What are your expectations for this course? To see history in a different point of view that may make me understand it better.

10a. Have you ever read any of the Historians in the course description? No.

rjreef1
User is offlineOffline
PRE-COURSE SURVEY NAME:

PRE-COURSE SURVEY

NAME: Reef

A chronological record of the past.

It's short, sweet, and to the point.

Most-likely school...and the History Channel.

Eh..I'd listen, can't go wrong with that.

People would probably agree, but make it not so short, sweet, and to the point.

Learning is never ending, and it's so nice to hear history from an atheist and not some biased teacher teaching what and how they were told to.

The Bible is not history because for one I stopped believing in fairy tales when I was a little girl. And secondly, why would I believe in a book written about the word of Holy Man by someone a long ass time after the Man was dead?

In a typical classroom setting I would be shunned from thinking that way and probably kicked out.

To hear the truth.

H.G. Wells

Books.

Enrollment will close (as will this thread) on THURSDAY, June 7th at 3:55pm EST.

"There's a height beyond skyscrapers, there's a distance beyond the freeway" -Tom Gabel

tdogdowney
User is offlineOffline
1. Please complete the

The study and or research of past events.

Honestly I was just trying to sound as smart as I could.

Many History classes in High School and College as well as information on the Internet.

To ask them what about my understandings they were challenging.

Anything from the past to the study of the past to courses students were forced to take in school.

To better my knowledge of history.

The bible is history because it is something you can study from the past.

A lot would say that it is history because it is from the past, a lot might say that it is not history because it is not factual or remotely true.  None the less it is still history.

I expect to gain a great deal of knowledge of many parts of history that I currently, don't have a lot of information on.  I also look forward to studying history from a much different perspective than before.

Not read any but I have heard Richard Carrier in the DVD The God Who Wasn't There

Adrian
Adrian's picture
User is offlineOffline
PRE-COURSE SURVEY NAME:1.

PRE-COURSE SURVEY
NAME:
1. Please complete the following statement: History is... information about the past.
2. Why did you answer (1) like you did? Without getting into a long winded diatribe that's what it basically is.
3. Where have you picked up these opinions on History? I guess my opinions on History derive from a compilation of different books not just one.  As we all know , history is sometimes written by the conquers not the conquered.
4. What would be your response if somebody were to challenge that understanding? I would listen with an open mind to their opinions then, focus on the topics that we mostly disagree with to dissect it and analyze it so we both can get the whole picture as to why we disagree.
5. In the setting of a classroom, what would some of the range of answers to (1) that would be given? Depending on the level of grade they would be serious and non-serious answers.
6. Why did you register for this course? Always interested to learn something new.
7. Answer the following question: The Bible (is / is not) history because... Well it can not be considered a serious history book based on facts for obvious reasons but there is nuggets of truth to it here and there but they're few and far between.
8. What sort of wide range of answers would be given in a classroom setting for (7)?  Haha!! I can imagine it would be a range of opinions from both sides of the spectrum and everything in between.
9. What are your expectations for this course? Knowledge.
10a. Have you ever read any of the Historians in the course description? No actually but I am interested in learning.  I'm more of in the evolutionary ethics and morality side of the house.

1225Truth
1225Truth's picture
User is offlineOffline
1. Please complete the

the study of the chronology of human events and affairs. If no more recent than 60 years as stipulated by the British and Germans, the study can provided evidences of the progression to certain patterns of societal and intellectual conduct. As an example, American historian R. Hoftstadter outlined historic events in periodic definition such as "the era of Jacksonian democracy" and "the era of robber baron industrialization." Other historians define different methodologies for formulating historic patterns.

History is a humanity. Because the course of events and human affairs influence intellectual discourse, history is routinely credited with profound influence on the other humanities such as philosophy, literary criticism (exegesis), and even the on-going dynamics of language formation. Karl Marx (a Hegelian) and his followers defined history as a science. They applied the chronology of human events and affairs in developmental pattern to a putative scientific methodology called "dialecticalism". A consensus of scholars has never arisen which concurs with dialectic methods or any other that can squarely define history as a distinctly scientific discipline. This is not to say that methods of scientific inquiry cannot be applied to historic analysis.

Again, because events, circumstances, and human discourse developmentally in chronology can affect methods of organized inquiry, history is widely credited for having a profound influence on the social sciences: political science, sociology, anthropology, economics, and the more recent field of social psychology.

-- a combination of classroom and informal study

-- see above

It would depend on the particulars of the challenge. If the challenger were able to cite wide well-credited sources for the particulars, I would be prepared to concede certain aspects of my understanding.

I have not taken the time to review other answers to question (1), but presumably instruction in classroom is flexible enough to embrace most of the answers with some critical analysis of all of them, in the opening session.

-- curiosity, although, I cannot honestly commit with certainty to the obligation of course obligations due to time constraints.

of what evidences or lack thereof that have been discerned. Archeological, corroborating documentary attestations (and enemy attestations from rival social and geogrpahic sources) contemporaneous to if not within a reasonble time ex post facto constitute valid evidences. See The Bible Unearthed by Israel Finklestein and Neil Silberman for evidences or lack (as such) for the OT/HB/Torah and Tanakh. Also see the essays and books of Thomas Thompson and Philip Davies for more of the same. Even with attestation, it is considered bad form to conclude valid any accounts of extra-physical or supernatural activity. ("Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence." - Carl Sagan).

Also, discrepencies and contradictions accounted by textual and manuscript analysis mitigate against historicity with compelling evidence but not proof.

It would depend if the student has a pre-disposed subjective opinion of the iron age compendium of documents compiled as the Bible. Some anti-theists may assumptively dismiss all contents as mythical jingo with no import to culture, symbolic literature, or parallel and syncretized observance by other ancient societies. On the other extreme, many "apologists" may assumptively laud scripture as primarily requisite in revealing theistic inspiration critical to the positive optimum order of the human conditon and the positive survival of human consciousness throughout eternity. The apologists have never succeeded by the standard of "extraordinary evidence".

I have no special expectations for this course. I would assume the student would have a more structured understanding of history and historic analysis at conclusion.

yes

Classical Historians (Free Online Resources at the Bottom)

1. Justin - presumably as in "Martyr". Yes, I have read some of his essays, especially Apology to Marcus Aurelius, anecdotally.

2. Caesar - "Omnia Gallia est divisa in tres partes" Anyone who has been tortured through High School or Middle School Latin knows this to be the opening phrase of the opening sentence of Gallic Wars. (It is almost all I remember.) My most impressive recollection is the way he used his engineers so creatively to improvise structures critical to the tactics used against Rome's enemies.

3. Tacitus - (About the Romans' destruction of Carthage), "you have made a desert and call it peace." Yes, some detailed accounts of the Julian/Claudians and Flavians by Tacitus. Caveat emptor -- Annals was only first discovered by a Benedictine monk in the 15th century. There is no attestation to Annals prior to then.
4. Suetonius - -- a contemporary of Tacitus. The 12 Caesars is fun! -- many juicy details of byzantine and conspiratorial conduct between ruthless patrician adversaries, if you can believe it.
5. Josephus - -- read much of the 1st century CE accounts in Antiquities and some of Wars. He presents an urbane and chaotic picture of Palestine under Roman hegemony in glaring contrast to the backwater-ish bucolic scenario presented in the NT gospel accounts.

6. Arrian - no

7. Eusebius - I have read some of Church History, anecdotally. His writing is odd for ancient rhetorical style -- somehow disorganized and riddled with gossip, as if he did not encourage the reader to study his word-for-word account, but only focus on points that might be of interest.

I also recommend Augustine. The Confessions is an almost textured account of the implosion of Greco-Roman civilization from a personalized biographical vantage point. It contrasts starkly with some of the biographical parts of Summa Theologica (13th century) by Thomas Aquinas. Western and central Europe was experiencing an explosion in the foundation of new universities and reforms in acceptable standards of scholasticism which were progressing largely unhindered by the church. It reveals how much these authors are products of their times.

A caveat emptor about ancient history -- eg. 70% of the plays of Sophocles, Aeschylus, and Euripides have been lost to posterity. We have attestation that they were regaled and circulated with enthusiasm until the 5th century CE. The destruction of libraries and pagan temple repositories of scrolls and codices was unrelenting from about 370 to 550. Thousands of esteemed texts and countless works of art and pottery were extiguished into extinction. Granted, this was much to do with the unraveling of Greco-Roman order to be replaced with an illiterate something that was little better than chaos. But we do have more than scant evidences that much of this destruction was deliberate and a focused organized effort. This is a little matter of history that I have found myself repeating to the apologists who routinely gloat of the survivng texts of "Apostles" and early apologists vis-a-vis just about everything else.

Because of the deliberative and likely revisionist aims of early post-Nicean ecclesiastical authority, some methodologies in evidentiary analysis of historical evidences prior to then should be applied with caution, let us say, by comparison to evidences of the events of the American Civil War. This is the one Achilles Heel of the mythicist theory, allbeit a pre-mature infant heel at that. The viable and creditable evidences for a Galilean Jesus crucified or otherwise executed in Jerusalem in 1st century CE could have been extinguished. Would the evidences have been enemy attestations? Let us say they would have been of a nature very unlike and compromising to the dogmas and literatures of a new and Imperially sanctioned Roman Catholic Church. Better to have no creditable evidences survive than any that may run firmly contrary to emerging Christian orthodoxy.

Modern Historians

1. H.G. Wells - I am unfamiliar with his history. I have only read some of his fiction. In his own time, he had a somewhat avant garde reputation.

2. Michael Grant - no
3. Richard Carrier - I have read some of his essays, critiques, and blog entries.
4. Bart Ehrman - I have read the study notes and listened to his tape series on Lost Christianities -- not very impressive. He is a work in progress. The theologian who wrote Misquoting Jesus is very different from the near evangelist who started teaching at UNC nearly 30 years ago.

Dante626
Gold Member
Dante626's picture
User is offlineOffline
Enrollment

PRE-COURSE SURVEY

NAME: Jordan Johnston

a combination of multiple fields of research from archeaology to literary analysis, and vital to understanding ourselves and our future. 

The more I investigate history as well as all other fields of human endeavour, the more the need for a greater understanding is made obvious to me. Education is the great equalizer.  

Various reading, debates and discussions with people, school. 

I would call for a swift death as the lord, our God, demands it. Then I'd snap out of my fundamentalist past and be interested in an honest dialogue with the person. 

History is the past.

History is the lies told to us by "the man".

History is stupid.

(sadly I have heard all of these and more in school. But when I think about it, I'm not sure how stupid they actually are...) 

I firmly believe that education can help humans become better. There is a reason why you do not hear of historians and physicists running sex shops and killing people all that often. Through a better understanding of our past, we gain a better understanding of ourselves and our futures.

It reflects some of the historical events that took place at the time of writing, but those events are obscured with the lens of myth and superstition, as well as outright fabrications in some parts. 

Both extremes, from complete literalism to complete lies, and everything in between. 

Hopefully to further my understanding of the human race, it's history, and how that past has influenced where we are going and who we are. 

Yes.

I currently have Bob Price's The Incredible Shrinking Son of Man, and have read bits and pieces of several other historians. I've seen The God Who Wasn't There, and heard Carrier in several debates and interviews on the IG show.

I'm really excited for this course guys! 

I Quixie
I Quixie's picture
User is offlineOffline
Rook_Hawkins

Rook_Hawkins wrote:

PRE-COURSE SURVEY

NAME:

I Quixie (aka Leon)

Quote:

History is the past reconstructed interactively by the present through argued evidence in public discourse.

Quote:

I quote John Dominic Crossan's definition. It is the best description of what history is that I have encountered thus far.

Quote:
In my study.

Quote:
It would depend on the definition offered to me.

Quote:
With due respect, this question is too vague and kind of non-sequitur. The range will be revealed when all the students have answered question number 1. I'm new here and I don't know the limits of folly and/or expertise of the people who will comprise the class, so I have no point of reference from which to answer this.

Quote:
I am fascinated by the study of history and historiography. I must here also confess that, upon seeing the foto of the instructor, I am curious to see the extent of expertise in these matters in one so young. I mean no offense by this. It is simply an expression of my own skepticism.

Quote:
The bible is NOT history in the sense that I define it (a modern sense - see above) because at the time of its composition, no existing methods of empirical verification or refutation available to verify or deny the historiography of any event or action or description it contains was used that I can see. Instead, I see the Bible (the Tanach especially) as an anthology, a collection of one specific desert people's thinking about and wrestling with their concept of the divine (or of the numinous creative aspect of the universe or whatever synonymous analogue one would prefer to substitute for "divine" ). This anthology was then coopted by the authors of the New Testament to lend validity to their nascent movement.

On a tangential note ... a book may contain historical data and not be categorizable as "history". (e.g. Gone With The Wind, etc)

Quote:
Well, my guess is the answers would range from "Why, yes, it is", through "It partly is", to "No, it isn't".

Quote:

I don't really have any expectations, other than to spend a few hours reviewing historical materials and perhaps learning a thing or two along the way. I suspect, in fact, that I may be a bit over-qualified for this course, but I enjoy talking about these things and feel I may be of some help perhaps.

Quote:
Yes, I have.

Quote:

I have spent the last decade immersed in the study of matters pertaining to the historical Jesus and to the history of the movement which claims to be a direct result of his influence. As a result, I am quite familiar with the relevant tidbits in the works of Suetonius and of Tacitus and of Pliny and Josephus pertaining to this . I am also reasonably well-read in Eusebius (his "Historia Ecclesiastica" is an often referenced work in my study).

Of the moderns you list in the course description, I have read a few of Bart Ehrman's works. I'm also cursorily familiar with Richard Carrier's work.

On another tangential note, I am a bit curious as to why Justin and Caesar would be included in a list of historians of antiquity. Which Justin? Justin Martyr? If so, can he rightly be described as a historian? Can Caesar? Which Caesar?

Looking forward to Thursday's meeting, barring any unforeseen obstacles.

Ó

"Theology is that science which treats of the unknowable with infinitesimal exactitude." - Anatole France

Rook_Hawkins
RRS CO-FOUNDER
Rook_Hawkins's picture
User is offlineOffline
I Quixie wrote: 5. In the

I Quixie wrote:
With due respect, this question is too vague and kind of non-sequitur. The range will be revealed when all the students have answered question number 1. I'm new here and I don't know the limits of folly and/or expertise of the people who will comprise the class, so I have no point of reference from which to answer this.

Hi Leon.  These questions are for me to evaluate you.  No question is irrelevant.  It is also to help one think outside any preconceived notions one might have coming into the course.  I will explain more on Thursday. 

Quote:
Quote:
I am fascinated by the study of history and historiography. I must here also confess that, upon seeing the foto of the instructor, I am curious to see the extent of expertise in these matters in one so young. I mean no offense by this. It is simply an expression of my own skepticism.

No offense taken.  I hope I surprise you.

Quote:
Quote:

I don't really have any expectations, other than to spend a few hours reviewing historical materials and perhaps learning a thing or two along the way. I suspect, in fact, that I may be a bit over-qualified for this course, but I enjoy talking about these things and feel I may be of some help perhaps.

I would request that if you have any reservations during the course you approach me in private.  This is simply from the perspective that there be one teacher in a class.  But I would welcome criticism of anything I might bring up during class if time permits.  Keep in mind it's only 32 hours to cover years worth of material.

Quote:
On another tangential note, I am a bit curious as to why Justin and Caesar would be included in a list of historians of antiquity. Which Justin? Justin Martyr? If so, can he rightly be described as a historian? Can Caesar? Which Caesar?

Not Justin Martyr, although some have thought I have been refering to him.  I wonder why people have not checked the links I provided to obtain the free resources?  The Justin I am refering to is Marcus Justinus who wrote "The Epitome of the Philippic History of Pompeius Trogus."

And of course I am refering to Julius Caesar, and his Gallic War.  Again, I'm a bit astonished by the fact that you ask but didn't research the links I provided to find out.  

Quote:
Looking forward to Thursday's meeting, barring any unforeseen obstacles.

I'm looking forward to it as well, Leon.  Thanks for enrolling.  The best to you. 

Rave
User is offlineOffline
I'm so relieved that this

I'm so relieved that this thread is still open! I hadn't visited the site for a couple of days and thought I'd missed out! 

Rook_Hawkins wrote:

PRE-COURSE SURVEY

NAME:

Rave

Rook_Hawkins wrote:

History is the study of the facts of past events and their interpretation to provide an explanation of how things came to be as they are now.

Rook_Hawkins wrote:

It's what the study of history means to me... sorry I can't be more specific.

Rook_Hawkins wrote:

My experiences of learning history confirm what teachers and knowledgeable people have said in learning material, that understanding the past helps us to understand the present. The simple answer to question one was my attempt at summing up my view in one sentence.

Rook_Hawkins wrote:

I find it hard to see any problems with my definition, and think it is correct (otherwise I wouldn't have it). Although I think my view is pretty uncontestable, unless the person is disagreeing on dictionary definitions, I'd still give them a chance to explain what they thought was wrong with it.

Rook_Hawkins wrote:

I imagine a wide variety of responses from apathy to enthusiasm to repetition of standard phrases like 'history is what we must learn from so that we don't repeat the bad parts of it'.

Rook_Hawkins wrote:

I think the pursuit of knowledge is a virtue, I am interested in the Hellenistic Age, and learning and studying is one of the better ways to spend one's time.

Rook_Hawkins wrote:

(Sorry for rephrasing the statement!)
The Bible cannot be taken as a reliable source of historical information. Many claims made in it have been refuted (the age and creation of the Earth, for one) or are unsubstantiated. It can by no means be used as a primary source about most of which it discusses, as the accounts of them were written decades or more after they supposedly happened. Although it may contain some historical events and characters it is no different in that respect to many works of fiction.

Rook_Hawkins wrote:

The range of answers to question 7 would be largely dependent on where the classroom was. In most developed western nations the majority of answers would be in the negative or apathetic, although in large parts of the South Americas, parts of Africa and Southeast Asia, and by many accounts large portions of the United States the value of Bible as a historical source would be fiercely defended.

Rook_Hawkins wrote:

I expect to have fun and to come away with more knowledge.

Rook_Hawkins wrote:

No Sad But I will be reading material from them in the coming weeks!

"This is the real world, stupid." - Charlie Brooker

"It is necessary to be bold. Some people can be reasoned into sense, and others must be shocked into it. Say a bold thing that will stagger them, and they will begin to think." - Thomas Paine

scottmax
scottmax's picture
User is offlineOffline
Rook_Hawkins wrote: 1.

Rook_Hawkins wrote:

The study of the past.

Quote:

It seems the most all-encompassing answer.

Quote:

I have no hard-and-fast opinions on history. It seems logical to assume that the majority of preserved opinions comes from the victorious faction so it would be illogical to take such writings at face value without external corroboration, preferably from an opposing group.

Quote:

I think my understanding is sufficiently undogmatic that it would be hard for me to feel that my view is being "challenged".

Quote:

I expect many would answer broadly and that some would answer more cynically. I can't say that the cynics are less correct, but I tend towards an optimistic outlook.

Quote:

To increase my knowledge. I've been voraciously studying theology and early Christianity for the past 6 months so this seems like a good way to fill in some missing background info.

Quote:

It is not history because it lacks proper source references. When Paul mentions "more than 500 brothers", not a single name is mentioned of any of those brothers or of anyone else who can corroborate his account. Further, no dates are given for any of the events.

Contrast that with writings of Pliny the younger and you will find dates of events and mentions of specific other people who witnessed and reported on the events. You can also find other authors reporting on the same events. Finally, many of these events are being reported on by people who were actually present.

Quote:

I imagine that the vast majority of Christians would consider the Bible to be history. Even many non-Christians would probably consider the Bible to be exagerrated history. I would expect quite a few educated atheists to know that the Bible fits more properly into the realm of folklore and propaganda.

Quote:

Being the 1st class, I don't really know what to expect. My bare minimum expectation is exposure to sources of history that historians have taken the time to deem at least moderately reliable.

Quote:

I have read only very limited quotes from several of the classical writers. I have read more historical fiction than actual history. For instance "I, Claudius" and "Claudius the God" by Robert Graves and "Tides of War" by Steven Pressfield.

I have read:

Bumbklaatt44
SuperfanSilver Member
Bumbklaatt44's picture
User is offlineOffline
1. Please complete the

Who we are.

I feel like our past has shaped who we are, and I totally feel like the saying is true, unless we know our history we are doomed to repeat it.

I just loved history class in high school, and had an awesome teacher who made me appreciate it more.

Well, depends on where its coming from but, if it was just some douche who has never even taken the time to read a book they live their whole lives  (I think we know who I am talking about) I would leave it alone, but if they came to me with questions I would hope that I had a good enough understanding to answer those questions.

to stupid people, boring, pointless, useless, hard...

to people who care, important, thoutght provoking, a useful too to understand who we are.

I'm interested to learn stuff that I have never even heard of before, and rook knows his shit, so I think It'd be fun.

Is not because,  from the research I've done, the bible is not a historical account written by contemporaries. 

It is because jesus is lived, and died on a cross, and yadda yadda yadda....

To have a better understanding of the older history that they would never teach in my high school classes.

no I have no so I think this course will be a real eye opener and alot of fun.

DS
DS's picture
User is offlineOffline
Enrolling into the RRA

NAME: DylanSB

A long term perception of the past.

it is what i thought the past is, and define to the best of my ability with minimum time placed into it.

in my own past, experience

to respectfully discuss until the best solution is found, or time is up and we most go back into our boring lives.

depends on the circumstance student, teacher, and environment.

to be apart of the first national atheist movement on the internet.

is history; for it has influenced many individuals nations and the world-- for the worse, or better. but it is apart of history.

see number (5)

to be opened to knew knowledge.

none.

n/a

Iruka Naminori
atheist
Iruka Naminori's picture
User is offlineOffline
Rook_Hawkins wrote:

PRE-COURSE SURVEY

NAME: Iruka...is this good enough? Eye-wink

1. Please complete the following statement: History is...the study of past events.

2. Why did you answer (1) like you did? Um...because my understanding of history is that it is the study of past events. Smiling Did you want an emotional answer? History can be extremely cool or extremely boring depending upon subject matter and teacher. It isn't always terribly scientific because those who triumph over others usually write history. Because we can't observe it directly, it is sometimes difficult to distinguish fact from fiction.

3. Where have you picked up these opinions on History? Throughout the "history" of my life. Smiling

4. What would be your response if somebody were to challenge that understanding? Okeedokee by me. I am no history expert.

-boring

-interesting

-all about wars

-mostly the memorization of names and dates

-stupid

Because I could.

The Bible is not history because snakes and donkeys can't talk; there are no virgin births; men can't perform miracles, etc. Some of the Bible may be history, but without corroborating accounts and archaeological evidence, I would discount it out of hand because of the fantastical stories.

Probably about 80% of the students would claim the bible is history. I would have (and did) as a college freshman.

9. What are your expectations for this course? I don't really have expectations. I just want to learn...hopefully without too much pressure. Eye-wink I already have a BA in Liberal Studies and my next degree will probably be in music, if I go that route.

Probably, but it's been so long ago I can't remember. I recognize most of the names on the list.

10b. If so, what context (answer only if applicable): College, Internet excerpts.

BOO-YAH!

ON THURSDAY, PLEASE GO HERE AT ONE OF THE CLASS TIMES: http://www.stickam.com/profile/sapient THAT IS WHERE THE CLASS WILL BE HELD.

Books on atheism, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

AtheistAviB
AtheistAviB's picture
User is offlineOffline
Rook_Hawkins wrote:This

Rook_Hawkins wrote:

Please note that after the first class starts on THURSDAY you can no longer ENROLL in the course, therefore you are ineligible to get the badge and the access to the private forum. However anybody is welcome to join in the class regardless. ON THURSDAY, PLEASE GO HERE AT ONE OF THE CLASS TIMES: http://www.stickam.com/profile/sapient THAT IS WHERE THE CLASS WILL BE HELD.

PRE-COURSE SURVEY

NAME:Avi

<b><i>the far and near past that we study in order so that we may better understand what things have happened and why as to allow a better future through learning.</i></b> 

<b><i>It is what I believe history really is</i></b>

<b><i>Through my years of study in college and my personal understanding of what it is.</i></b>

<i><b>I would request that they explain what there understanding of history is and why they believe it to be so. If they present their argument well it is possible more than on opinion is correct.</b></i>

<i><b>Many different answers would be given whereas each person may have a different view as to the accuracy of historical study and bookkeeping as well as the method through which it is taught/learned.</b></i>

<b><i>To get a better understanding, in specifics, of the earlier texts and the possible truthfulness of them vs. the more likely fraudulent accounts that they are.</i></b>

<i><b>The bible is history, skewed history, because while it does represent certain societal, political, and geographical facts, it falls short in being reliable enough for the people and events to be considered anything more than fairy tale characters.</b></i>

<i><b>The believers would claim it to be accurate and proper while the Atheists (myself included) would deny this based on its contradictions, unreliability, and unrealistic context.</b></i>

<b><i>I expect to be able to take some knew knowledge and advanced understanding of historical texts and historical circumstances surrounding the texts.</i></b>

<b><i>While I have not read any of them specifically I have seen their writings and heard about their writings in passing when debating or discussing the historical authenticity of the bible and the biblical notions.</i></b>

ON THURSDAY, PLEASE GO HERE AT ONE OF THE CLASS TIMES: http://www.stickam.com/profile/sapient THAT IS WHERE THE CLASS WILL BE HELD.

Captain Cracker
Captain Cracker's picture
User is offlineOffline
enrollment

NAME: Alex Chessen

1. Please complete the following statement: History is interesting.

I have found that history is one of the main ways of analyzing any sort of tactic or action.  One of the best ways to learn is through our mistakes, yet we don't have enough time in each of our lives to make every mistake over and over again (not to mention some may be fatal).  Instead, we can look to the past and learn from other people.  Studying the past helps us learn for our future.  More specifically to religion, history is one of the best ways to disprove most religious claims (probably third to simple logic and scientific discovery).

I "picked up" this opinion simply by learning about history. 

I'd probably just tell them to pick up a history book.  If more would be needed than that, what I'd say would depend on the situation.

From the classes I've been in, most answers would probably only be one word and would range from "boring" to "hard" to "important".  It all depends on the mindset of the individual.

I'm only a highschool student, and this is a college level course.  For one thing I thought it may be a fun challenge.  Other than that, I am very interested in religion, history, and how they tie together.

The Bible is history because it was written based off of possible events of the past.  It is incredibly biased, and contains many false stories, yet seems to have some underlying true principles.

"is; because it's the Bible", "is not; because Satan rules!!!", "is not; because it is a work of fiction", "is; because.....ummm....it's all true!", "God loves us".

I expect to be slightly challenged, yet hopefully learn a lot that I have not heard of and/or considered before.  If nothing else, maybe it will at least give me a few more good comebacks against religion.

nope

RabidApe
RabidApe's picture
User is offlineOffline
Is it closed yet...?

NAME: RabidApe (or J.)

the empirical study and critical interpretation of data, with the intent of finding the most probable answer to a given question/questions about the past.

I guess what I wanted to say was 'history is the scientific study of past events', but wanted to sound all fancy-schmancy

I'm not sure. I don't have very much formal education.

I understand that I have a lot to learn, and am probably WRONG about plenty of things, aside from being just ignorant of a lot more. I would analyze the challenge, and incorporate any new knowledge into my understanding.

There would be a lot of short ones (see my #2), some (perhaps) overly flowery ones like mine, some that didn't take the question seriously (eg "history is... my least favorite class&quotEye-wink, and some that were genuine attempts to answer, but are inadequate ("History is the study of ancient literature&quotEye-wink.

I want to learn, and cant exactly afford to go to college.

The Bible is history because it is has affected and been affected by human culture.

"is/isnt history because it isn't/is 'factual'"

"is/isn't history because it's the true word of the living god"

"is history because it talks about real people and places"

"isn't history because it's been tampered with"

"is history, because how its been tampered with gives insight into other facts."

I was raised in an almost completely secular home. I've read a bit here and there, but I dont have an intimate knowledge of the Bible. I want to know more just for my own sake, but I also want to strengthen the foundation of my 'debate skills'.

Nope.