Mythological creatures of the bible

AmericanIdle
User is offlineOffline
Mythological creatures of the bible

I was discussing this topic with one of my (xtian) relatives who was rather surprised and probably upset to learn how many mythological creatures are discussed in the bible.   When I say mythological, I'm referring to animals/creatures mentioned in the bible who lack any credible evidence for existence.  I'm now trying to compile a list.  Please add any that I might have missed:

- Dragons

- Satyrs

- Unicorns

- Cockatrices

- Fiery serpents (not sure how to classify this one).

- Giants

- Talking Snake

- Talking Donkey

"In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."
George Orwell

Jacob Cordingley
SuperfanBronze Member
Jacob Cordingley's picture
User is offlineOffline
Behemoths.

Behemoths.

zntneo
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Um Yahweh?

Um Yahweh?

Tilberian
Tilberian's picture
User is offlineOffline
Zombies. 

Zombies. 

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Jesus.

Jesus.

ObnoxiousBitch
Superfan
ObnoxiousBitch's picture
User is offlineOffline
Leviathan and Satan come to

Leviathan and Satan come to mind.

Jacob Cordingley
SuperfanBronze Member
User is offlineOffline
I think there might also be

I think there might also be a self empregnating virgin in there at some point.

American Atheist
American Atheist's picture
User is offlineOffline
The Holy Spirit.

The Holy Spirit.

lee13
User is offlineOffline
angels

angels

Krehlic
Krehlic's picture
User is offlineOffline
LILITH   Lilith, a pagan

LILITH

Lilith, a pagan witch or demon, makes an appearance in Isaiah 34:14.

This isn't obvious because even the KJV translates Lilith as the "Screech Owl" and other translations substitute similar names.

Here is the verse in Hebrew in ISO259 that I got from wikipedia. Lilith is in bold.

pagšu iyyim et-ʾiyyim w-saʿir ʿal-rēʿhu yiqra ʾakšam hirgiʿah lilit u-maʾah lah mano

(You can also see satyr in this same verse, which most modern translations prefer to replace with "goat&quotEye-wink

According to many versions of the pagan myth, including Jewish lore, Lilith had the ability to turn into an owl. She also steals children after Hera stole hers.

KJV
"The wild beasts of the desert shall also meet with the wild beasts of the island, and the satyr shall cry to his fellow; the screech owl (Lilith) also shall rest there, and find for herself a place of rest."

This prophecy, I believe, means essentially, that the place will become desolate and uninhabited. But the fact that the author of Isaiah is using pagan myths to illustrate this, should make the fact that the bible is influenced by paganism seem obvious. The Jews of the Old Testament believed in these things too.

Flying Spaghetti Monster -- Great Almighty God? Or GREATEST Almighty God?

Jacob Cordingley
SuperfanBronze Member
User is offlineOffline
Magically endowed people.

Magically endowed people. Moses, Jesus etc.

AmericanIdle
User is offlineOffline
Thanks for all of the

Thanks for all of the responses.  How about:

- Humans who lived to nearly a thousand years.

They aren't really under the animal or creature classification but there is certainly the mythological element, unless you buy that sort of thing...

ah ha ha !! 

"In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."
George Orwell

zarathustra
atheist
zarathustra's picture
User is offlineOffline
Sticks that morph into

Sticks that morph into snakes

Fish large enough to swallow a man

Krehlic
Krehlic's picture
User is offlineOffline
zarathustra wrote: Sticks

zarathustra wrote:

Sticks that morph into snakes

Fish large enough to swallow a man

Now, be fair. Everyone knows it was a whale. A fish just doesn't make sense. Eye-wink 

Flying Spaghetti Monster -- Great Almighty God? Or GREATEST Almighty God?

Jacob Cordingley
SuperfanBronze Member
User is offlineOffline
Men that can survive rigor

Men that can survive rigor mortis.

ViddyD (not verified)
User is offlineOffline
I'm not a Christian and

I'm not a Christian and think that belief in the Bible is narrow-minded, somewhat stupid, blind, etc. However, even I have to admit that Jesus existed, there's really no solid argument against it. The question is: Was he the son of God? The documentary "The God Who Wasn't There" is utter bullshit, as is "The Da Vinci Code" and much of Richard Dawkins' faulty reasoning (his science is good, but his hate for religion often overrides any logical processes during arguments).

eighth (not verified)
User is offlineOffline
After reading the responses,

After reading the responses, I find that it might be necessary to define 'mythological' again.

Are these 'beings' (please do not use 'creatures' if you do not believe in creation) of which there is no scientific proof, of are they individuals of a certain species that are not (yet) acknowlegded by contemprary science?

The second list would be much longer, including many people.

The first list might also include many false Gods, or idols, mentioned in the Bible.

And to Krehlic and Zarathustra (interesting name, by the way), do not forget that the 'whale' in KJV represents all large sea animals. Smiling

Atheistextremist
atheist
Atheistextremist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Mythological creatures in the bible

Roman governers who allow yelling crowds to dispense justice in the legals hearings over which they preside. 

"Experiments are the only means of knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." Max Planck

Answers in Gene...
High Level Donor
Answers in Gene Simmons's picture
User is offlineOffline
Well, Gen 1:29 has trees

Well, Gen 1:29 has trees that are made of meat.

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:
Never ever did I say enything about free, I said "free."

=

Stosis
User is offlineOffline
Answers in Gene Simmons

Answers in Gene Simmons wrote:

Haha, it does seem mediphorical, but as we all know there are no metaphors in the bible because its perfect and god knows everything.

ps: Grats on 1337 posts

Watcher
atheist
User is offlineOffline
ViddyD wrote:However, even I

ViddyD wrote:

However, even I have to admit that Jesus existed, there's really no solid argument against it.

There's no solid argument against Johnny Appleseed either.  Do you believe in him?

This is the way it works.  We need proof that someone or something does or has existed.   Not proof that someone or something does not or has not existed.

You can't prove a negative.

There's no compelling proof that Jesus ever did exist.  And if he did, apparently he didn't cause much of anyone to notice at the time.   Move forward several decades or centuries after his supposed death, put a literary spin on what the guy said or did, and poof!  Cult of personality.

Wait...what's the difference between fascism and religions like christianity and islam?  Oh yeah, fascism is when the object of the cult is still around and breathing.

Personally I don't really care whether he did or didn't.  There was no way that he was the son of any god even if he did exist...cause gods are a figment of the human imagination.

"I am an atheist, thank God." -Oriana Fallaci

Atheistextremist
atheist
Atheistextremist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Mythical bible creatures

Christians.

Adventfred
atheist
Adventfred's picture
User is offlineOffline
Stosis wrote:Answers in Gene

Stosis wrote:

Haha, it does seem mediphorical, but as we all know there are no metaphors in the bible because its perfect and god knows everything.

ps: Grats on 1337 posts

dont you just love gods

Wonderist
atheist
Wonderist's picture
User is offlineOffline
The Nephilim, which I think

The Nephilim, which I think are supposed to be half-human half-angel or half-demon or something. Didn't read that part, just heard about them.

Wonderist on Facebook — Support the idea of wonderism by 'liking' the Wonderism page — or join the open Wonderism group to take part in the discussion!

Gnu Atheism Facebook group — All gnu-friendly RRS members welcome (including Luminon!) — Try something gnu!

david_matthew (not verified)
User is offlineOffline
Answers in Gene Simmons

"Every tree with yield's seed, for you shall be as meat"

Haven't you every heard of the meat of a fruit? It's the part of the fruit that you actually eat! It means that the fruit of the trees shall be his source of food

Username2012 (not verified)
User is offlineOffline
Yeah, about that...

I don't know for sure, but I'm pretty sure God isn't considered a mythological creature in the bible...I'm just saying. And if that comment was meant as a slam against Christianity, keep off of the religious websites.

austrodai (not verified)
User is offlineOffline
Answer to Yahweh from znteo

Yahweh is one of the names of God...it's not an animal. Sorry

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
austrodai wrote:Yahweh is

austrodai wrote:

Yahweh is one of the names of God...it's not an animal. Sorry

But is he mythical?

Rich Woods
Rational VIP!
Rich Woods's picture
User is offlineOffline
Jacob Cordingley

Jacob Cordingley wrote:
Behemoths.

Oh, I beg to differ, sir... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0PI4hXzUKek&feature=related

carx
carx's picture
User is offlineOffline
Snakes that eat dust.

Snakes that eat dust.

mellestad
User is offlineOffline
carx wrote:Snakes that eat

carx wrote:

Snakes that eat dust.

To be fair, I'm not even sure the most fundy literalist would think that verse actually means consuming dust.

Everything makes more sense now that I've stopped believing.

JesusNEVERexisted
Superfan
JesusNEVERexisted's picture
User is offlineOffline
ALL OF THEM!!That includes

ALL OF THEM!!

That includes Jesus, Moses, Mary, Paul, Matthew, etc. etc.

Did you guys know NOTHING, and I mean NOTHING, in bible can be corroborated outside the bible? That's called FICTION!!

There is not ONE historical source that can confirm ANY of those characters even ever existed!! 

There are many great links which have HISTORICAL info on it that show this. Notice that's unlike the bible was has NO historical info in it to corroborate their claims of fantasy.  Below is just one link:

The development of the Jesus Christ story is best explained not as simply a "paganization" of Judaism, but as a part of Jewish literary tradition. What did set Christianity apart, however, was its crossover status into non-Jewish communities, where Jewish literary traditions were not understood. A combination of factors then led to its growing acceptance. The destruction of Judea left many diaspora Jews in despair and without a grounding for traditional Judaism, so the story of Jesus had appeal to them. Unlike most of the Greek and Roman religions, Christianity was highly evangelical with its claims of salvation and "truth". People living in the Roman Empire had grown up with messages of confidence and strength, but in the 3rd and 4th centuries Rome went through a series of hardships so the Christian story of suffering, redemption, and humility, rooted in the history of Jewish hardships, appealed to a people who were surrounded by religions based on a culture of superiority that was now failing. For those who looked deeper into the religion, many were impressed with the degree to which the life of Jesus seemed to have been so completely foretold by the earlier Hebrew scriptures. The numerous parallels between the Gospels and the "Old Testament" convinced many that the religion "had to be true", how else could one account for so many "fulfilled prophecies"? They declined to understand, however, that the parallels are there because the Gospels are made-up stories based on the Hebrew scriptures. As Christians began filling the ranks of the military in the 4th century Constantine and other emperors had reasons to cater to the religion, and they found that people who were willing to die to spread their religion to new lands made for good soldiers.

For those who claim that the "rapid" (actually over a period of about 200 years) spread of Christianity cannot be explained without a real central Jesus figure, the reality is that even if Jesus were real he played no role in the spread of the religion. We absolutely know that the major spread of the religion happened after the writing of the Gospels. Even the spreading of the religion prior to the Gospels occurred due to apostolistic evangelism, the works of Paul and other writings are a testament to this. Paul did not interact with one single group of people that had already interacted with Jesus. People claim that the apostles wouldn't have gone to such efforts to spread the religion if they had not been certain of the truth of their religion because they had personal contact with Jesus, but Paul himself, the only apostle that we actually do have written records from, is proof that this is false, because we know for a fact that Paul never saw a "flesh and blood" Jesus and Paul emphasized over and over again how important his "revelations" from Jesus were. By all accounts the most active and important apostle that we know of, Paul, never had personal contact with Jesus.

Not only can Christianity be explained without a real historical Jesus at its core, but the historical facts that we do have are best explained if Jesus never existed.

http://rationalrevolution.net/articles/jesus_myth_history.htm

Click here to find out why Christianity is the biggest fairy tale ever created!! www.nobeliefs.com/exist.htm www.JesusNEVERexisted.com

Rich Woods
Rational VIP!
Rich Woods's picture
User is offlineOffline
JesusNEVERexisted wrote:ALL

JesusNEVERexisted wrote:

ALL OF THEM!!

That includes Jesus, Moses, Mary, Paul, Matthew, etc. etc.

Did you guys know NOTHING, and I mean NOTHING, in bible can be corroborated outside the bible? That's called FICTION!!

There is not ONE historical source that can confirm ANY of those characters even ever existed!! 

Thanks big fella... I don't imagine this has ever occurred to anyone here...

(just teasin' dude) ... your enthusiasm is justified.... As much as anyone, I can appreciate the over use of exclaimation points Smiling...

But if I'm not mistaken... I believe the point of this thread is to expose that perhaps, (as are all other written works containing mythical beasts)...  these stories were never *meant* to be anything other than metaphoric in the first place.... Hence making fundamentalist, "litteral" claims even that much more absurd....

Then again... I imagine that 2000 years from now should anyone read about Sarah Palin, they would be similarly conflicted...

JesusNEVERexisted
Superfan
JesusNEVERexisted's picture
User is offlineOffline
Krehlic

Krehlic wrote:

LILITH

Lilith, a pagan witch or demon, makes an appearance in Isaiah 34:14.

This isn't obvious because even the KJV translates Lilith as the "Screech Owl" and other translations substitute similar names.

Here is the verse in Hebrew in ISO259 that I got from wikipedia. Lilith is in bold.

pagšu iyyim et-ʾiyyim w-saʿir ʿal-rēʿhu yiqra ʾakšam hirgiʿah lilit u-maʾah lah mano

(You can also see satyr in this same verse, which most modern translations prefer to replace with "goat&quotEye-wink

According to many versions of the pagan myth, including Jewish lore, Lilith had the ability to turn into an owl. She also steals children after Hera stole hers.

KJV
"The wild beasts of the desert shall also meet with the wild beasts of the island, and the satyr shall cry to his fellow; the screech owl (Lilith) also shall rest there, and find for herself a place of rest."

This prophecy, I believe, means essentially, that the place will become desolate and uninhabited. But the fact that the author of Isaiah is using pagan myths to illustrate this, should make the fact that the bible is influenced by paganism seem obvious. The Jews of the Old Testament believed in these things too.

Wow, very interesting! And Lilith is presented as a REAL life creature just like Jesus is! We all know Lilith didn't really exist and neither did Jesus!

I had to bump this thread since it has some very interesting information!

Click here to find out why Christianity is the biggest fairy tale ever created!! www.nobeliefs.com/exist.htm www.JesusNEVERexisted.com

redneF
atheistRational VIP!
redneF's picture
User is offlineOffline
JesusNEVERexisted wrote:Wow,

JesusNEVERexisted wrote:

Wow, very interesting! And Lilith is presented as a REAL life creature just like Jesus is! We all know Lilith didn't really exist and neither did Jesus!

I had to bump this thread since it has some very interesting information!

Ya, no shit.

And Lilit is name for a woman, albeit uncommon.

Looks like 'the good books' are just a misnomer, and a 'con'.

Looks like there are a lot of UNtruths within religion...

I keep asking myself " Are they just playin' stupid, or are they just plain stupid?..."

"To explain the unknown by the known is a logical procedure; to explain the known by the unknown is a form of theological lunacy" : David Brooks

" Only on the subject of God can smart people still imagine that they reap the fruits of human intelligence even as they plow them under." : Sam Harris

Jeffrick
High Level DonorRational VIP!SuperfanGold Member
Jeffrick's picture
User is offlineOffline
Try this one.

Lilith is a name derived from the Arabic word for,  "ghost"  or "night demon".  One old testament translation refers to her as "the night hag".  She was supposed to descend on sleepers  and suck  their blood.

[thanx to  Carol McD. Wallace ]

"Very funny Scotty; now beam down our clothes."

VEGETARIAN: Ancient Hindu word for "lousy hunter"

If man was formed from dirt, why is there still dirt?

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
Watcher wrote:ViddyD

Watcher wrote:

ViddyD wrote:

However, even I have to admit that Jesus existed, there's really no solid argument against it.

There's no solid argument against Johnny Appleseed either.  Do you believe in him?

well, i know i'm ridiculously late with this, but someone revived this thread and i just saw this comment and can't resist:

yes, jonny appleseed was a real person.  he was a swedenborgian who traveled around distributing tracts and, yes, planting apple trees.  google it.

"I have never felt comfortable around people who talk about their feelings for Jesus, or any other deity for that matter, because they are usually none too bright. . . . Or maybe 'stupid' is a better way of saying it; but I have never seen much point in getting heavy with either stupid people or Jesus freaks, just as long as they don't bother me. In a world as weird and cruel as this one we have made for ourselves, I figure anybody who can find peace and personal happiness without ripping off somebody else deserves to be left alone. They will not inherit the earth, but then neither will I. . . . And I have learned to live, as it were, with the idea that I will never find peace and happiness, either. But as long as I know there's a pretty good chance I can get my hands on either one of them every once in a while, I do the best I can between high spots."
--Hunter S. Thompson

Ciarin
Theist
Ciarin's picture
User is offlineOffline
He probably could've picked

He probably could've picked a better legendary character to use, such as Paul Bunyan or Robin Hood. Jesus, as described in the bible, did not exist in history.

White Swallow
atheist
White Swallow's picture
User is offlineOffline
"Dragons were dinosaurs"

[double post. delete]

White Swallow
atheist
White Swallow's picture
User is offlineOffline
"Dragons were dinosaurs"

AmericanIdle wrote:

I was discussing this topic with one of my (xtian) relatives who was rather surprised and probably upset to learn how many mythological creatures are discussed in the bible.  ...

- Dragons

- Cockatrices

- Fiery serpents (not sure how to classify this one).

"Faith Destroyed by "Mythical" Creatures in the Bible? Think again"

"Now dragons are mentioned, are described and represented in the literature, history and art of virtually every ancient culture. Think about it a moment; is there anything in popular culture and science which might remind one of dragons? Of course there is; the animals we’ve called dinosaurs since the mid-1800’s.. But because the enemies of God have so thoroughly brainwashed virtually everyone to believe that dinosaurs lived millions of years ago, the amazing similarity between dinosaurs and dragons never enters their minds."

"Is science correct or is the Bible and ancient history correct about dragons/dinosaurs?

The British Museum fossil has been identified or classified as a Rhamphorynchus. This creature’s wingspan ranged between 2 feet to 35 feet. Do you suppose that if men had actually seen one that descriptions of dragons might have resulted? What does reason and intellect tell you? Did man draw dragons which were accurate representations of dinosaurs and pterosaurs even though they actually missed each other by 40 million years?

No doubt, man added mystical qualities and characteristics to dragons which the Bible did not do due to fear and lack of knowledge. Dragons or dinosaurs were simply animals created by God along with the other creatures.

As for fiery serpents, medieval scientists reported that these creatures had a type of bio-luminescence—they gave off a glow at night. On the other hand, like bombardier beetles, some may have been able to actually emit flame as eyewitnesses have claimed down through history."

Not so silly after all.