Earth pole shift 2012? Is there any real evidence?

FSMllama
FSMllama's picture
Posts: 1
Joined: 2006-09-05
User is offlineOffline
Earth pole shift 2012? Is there any real evidence?

Alright, I placed this under the science forum because I want to know if anyone has any scientific evidence or knowledge to refute the clams made by all these theories surrounding the year 2012.

Here is a video and a link to an interesting information site of what I'm talking about if you need be informed.

My interpretation is that sometime between the years 2008 - 2015 our solar system will quite rapidly pass though the gravitational pull created by the super massive black hole in the center of our galaxy. The implications of this I have still yet to find a suitable answer that I can actually believe without the indoctrination of dogmatic theories. I just want to know what everyone’s rational opinion is on this matter.

 

The Horizon Project

Greatdreams.com/2012.htm

http://survive2012.com/

 


Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
Posts: 3142
Joined: 2007-06-24
User is offlineOffline
Sleestack wrote:snafu

Sleestack wrote:

snafu wrote:
The Mayans never actually predicted gthe end of the world in 2012.   It just happened to be the end of the current 'Long count' of the Mayan calendar.   Once the date is reached, the cyclical calendar can be started again from zero

Snafu hit the nail on the head. After 2012 it's the 14th baktun. No end of the world, just a new count.

You guys are just saying that because you're part of the NWO conspiracy. Aren't you? Aren't you!?

Quote:
"Natasha has just come up to the window from the courtyard and opened it wider so that the air may enter more freely into my room. I can see the bright green strip of grass beneath the wall, and the clear blue sky above the wall, and sunlight everywhere. Life is beautiful. Let the future generations cleanse it of all evil, oppression and violence, and enjoy it to the full."

- Leon Trotsky, Last Will & Testament
February 27, 1940


Sleestack
Sleestack's picture
Posts: 172
Joined: 2008-07-07
User is offlineOffline
Kevin R Brown wrote:You guys

Kevin R Brown wrote:

You guys are just saying that because you're part of the NWO conspiracy. Aren't you? Aren't you!?

I can not confirm or deny your statement...


commonsense333 (not verified)
Posts: 4294964979
Joined: 1969-12-31
User is offlineOffline
shifts---go read a book

Clearly IG is not a scientist and has very little information about the hisory of pole shifts. There are 2 pole shifts type. Magnetic shifts occur naturally 5,000 to 1 million years...we are due for one. No one has a clue how this will affect life for humans. It might mean you have to reboot your computer or it could render electronics around the world inoperable. As for the tilt of he eart's axis, that would change with a LARGE disturbance in the gravity wave cycles of the solar system. If a rogue asteroid/planet of a very large size enters the solar system from a very exagerated orbit of the sun, that could tilt the earth if it gets close enough. IF the axis was jarred even just a small bit, there would be mass destruction. Its simple physics. The weight distrubution of the land masses would shift violently and realign within days. Doubtful we would survive that yet it is unlikely to happen anytime soon.


Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
Posts: 3142
Joined: 2007-06-24
User is offlineOffline
To the above poster: I

To the above poster:

 

I fucking hate you. I mean that in the worst possible wa you can imagine.

Pray tell; what do you mean, exactly, by 'gravity wave cycles'? Because that sounds suspiciously like something I'd be much more likely to hear on an episode of Star Trek rather than read in a scientific journal.

Quote:
"Natasha has just come up to the window from the courtyard and opened it wider so that the air may enter more freely into my room. I can see the bright green strip of grass beneath the wall, and the clear blue sky above the wall, and sunlight everywhere. Life is beautiful. Let the future generations cleanse it of all evil, oppression and violence, and enjoy it to the full."

- Leon Trotsky, Last Will & Testament
February 27, 1940


deludedgod
Rational VIP!ScientistDeluded God
deludedgod's picture
Posts: 3221
Joined: 2007-01-28
User is offlineOffline
Quote:As for the tilt of he

Quote:

As for the tilt of he eart's axis, that would change with a LARGE disturbance in the gravity wave cycles of the solar system

A large disturbance in the what? Please do not make up terminology.

Quote:

Clearly IG is not a scientist and has very little information about the hisory of pole shifts...If a rogue asteroid/planet of a very large size enters the solar system from a very exagerated orbit of the sun, that could tilt the earth if it gets close enough

I was manipulating field equations and studying tensor analysis while you were probably doing crack behind the school bleachers. Now, shut up and pay attention. Nothing you have said carries any meaning whatsoever. You've juxtaposed terms into a meaningless hodgepodge. "If a rogue asteroid...enters the solar system from a very exaggerated orbit of the sun" does not mean anything. It is syntactically meaningless to say that a particular object "enters" a system from a "particularly exaggerated orbit" of its star (which means nothing given that the sun orbits its barycenter, which is only 450km from its center of mass). You have articulated no meaningful mechanism by which "gravity wave cycles" are responsible for the effects you propose, or indeed, what precisely this even means. You have, in short, strung random words together.

"Physical reality” isn’t some arbitrary demarcation. It is defined in terms of what we can systematically investigate, directly or not, by means of our senses. It is preposterous to assert that the process of systematic scientific reasoning arbitrarily excludes “non-physical explanations” because the very notion of “non-physical explanation” is contradictory.

-Me

Books about atheism


BobSpence
High Level DonorRational VIP!ScientistWebsite Admin
BobSpence's picture
Posts: 5809
Joined: 2006-02-14
User is offlineOffline
The magnetic poles are

The magnetic poles are moving all the time, by up to 100's of miles over decades. Not a problem.

Reversals are what you are probably thinking of. They happen pretty slowly, and the Earth's magnetic field is relatively weak in compared to the local magnetic fields created by electrical and electronic equipment, so slow changes in a weak field are very unlikely to cause any problems here. In fact we headed for a reversal, I think, which means the field is changing now about as fast as it ever will, and it is primarliy therate of change of magnetic field that would affect electronics. So if it was going to have an effect , we would have noticed it by now.

The main possible worry is that as it reverses it goes through a very low or zero value before building up in the opposite direction. While it is low, there may be more charged particles from the sun or from cosmic rays hitting the earth taht would normally be deflected by the magnetic field, but even this is not expected to be a big deal, since the main effect would be that they would hit all over the earth instead of near the pole  as they do know, where they cause aurora displays. Since such displays don't seem to be associated with significant electrical problems in those areas, this is probably true. Our atmosphere id the main protection from such things.

Regarding shifting the axis of rotation, a passing massive body can only have a small effect here, because it can only have any effect on the axis of rotation because the earth is not a perfect sphere, but has a slight equatorial bulge. Long before it got close enough to have a significant effect this way, the tidal forces would cause massive tsunamis. It do this it would have to be close enough and/or large enough to appear much larger in the sky than the moon.

As Kevin said, talk of "Gravity Wave cycles" is scientific nonsense, since any gravity waves due to the motion of the planets are so weak as to be totally undetectable by the experiments set up so far to detect gravity waves, which would appear to be only generated in significant magnitude by extreme events such as massive black holes colliding or orbiting each other.

None of which has any real relevance to the postulated 2012 scenario anyway.

Favorite oxymorons: Gospel Truth, Rational Supernaturalist, Business Ethics, Christian Morality

"Theology is now little more than a branch of human ignorance. Indeed, it is ignorance with wings." - Sam Harris

The path to Truth lies via careful study of reality, not the dreams of our fallible minds - me

From the sublime to the ridiculous: Science -> Philosophy -> Theology


Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
Posts: 3142
Joined: 2007-06-24
User is offlineOffline
Quote:Its simple physics.I

Quote:
Its simple physics.

I couldn't help but notice that this fellow also wrote the above.

 

Sir, this is simple physics.

Solve the following:

 

(Image and strategy courtesy of DeludedGod)

 

 

Quote:
"Natasha has just come up to the window from the courtyard and opened it wider so that the air may enter more freely into my room. I can see the bright green strip of grass beneath the wall, and the clear blue sky above the wall, and sunlight everywhere. Life is beautiful. Let the future generations cleanse it of all evil, oppression and violence, and enjoy it to the full."

- Leon Trotsky, Last Will & Testament
February 27, 1940


deludedgod
Rational VIP!ScientistDeluded God
deludedgod's picture
Posts: 3221
Joined: 2007-01-28
User is offlineOffline
Quote:'I was manipulating

Quote:

'I was manipulating field equations and studying tensor analysis while you were probably doing crack behind the school bleachers. Now, shut up and pay attention.'

- DeludedGod

I've been waiting for someone to set me up for that line. I'm glad you like it.

 

"Physical reality” isn’t some arbitrary demarcation. It is defined in terms of what we can systematically investigate, directly or not, by means of our senses. It is preposterous to assert that the process of systematic scientific reasoning arbitrarily excludes “non-physical explanations” because the very notion of “non-physical explanation” is contradictory.

-Me

Books about atheism


LD (not verified)
Posts: 4294964979
Joined: 1969-12-31
User is offlineOffline
'Fraid to say they aced you, chum

  Lol, "bullshit"?  Those videos are perhaps rather intact if not slightyl zealous.  Albeit and in that which commutes, lol, if you can't beat 'em, join em, seems to be your ignorant plea.  If such as the above are your ludicrous statements, then you have already proven my first two points. 

  Defending that which totally screwed your brain?  I feel sorry for your content, as well your intent.  Perhaps a bit of searching would do you well, and then you'll stop licking the anus of the Rockerfeller family.  You have not wit, nor angst, but are one on the thin line of a lost Darwinistic dream.  Any day, Tsarion or myself would uttelry destroy you in both intellect and argument, not to mention logistics and historical constitution.

  Good luck defending the hand that slaps you, yet I will send a concsious effort to the Great Dream that you might awaken.

 

 


nskehfheu43 (not verified)
Posts: 4294964979
Joined: 1969-12-31
User is offlineOffline
Yes, the magnetic poles have

Yes, the magnetic poles have shifted in the past and certainly will again in the future, but never has a shift in magnetic poles by itself caused any severe disasters, calamities, etc. Insofar, there is no scientific evidence of anything particularly special or significant occurring on Dec. 21, 2012. I don't even know if the magnetic poles will shift on that day. You might want to look into that.


denialator (not verified)
Posts: 4294964979
Joined: 1969-12-31
User is offlineOffline
Earth poles shifting

You may want to check out the recent shift in the earth's axis by a measurable amount, (26 degrees off axis) also verified by several bona fide scientific sources.

Visit: http://divulgence.net


Vastet
atheistBloggerHigh Level ModeratorSuperfan
Vastet's picture
Posts: 10368
Joined: 2006-12-25
User is offlineOffline
So what is so special about

So what is so special about this particular topic that so many.... "special" people responded anyway?

Proud Canadian, Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.


TheMuse
Posts: 7
Joined: 2008-11-05
User is offlineOffline
From classes that I've taken

the magnetic fields have changed a decent amount of times in Earth's history. Here's a link:

http://www.space.com/scienceastronomy/earth_poles_040407.html


KSMB
Scientist
KSMB's picture
Posts: 702
Joined: 2006-08-03
User is offlineOffline
denialator wrote:You may

denialator wrote:

You may want to check out the recent shift in the earth's axis by a measurable amount, (26 degrees off axis) also verified by several bona fide scientific sources.

Visit: http://divulgence.net

Holy crap, that site is surely the dumbest site I have seen since answersingenesis. Not only are there NO scientific sources what so ever, the claim is so easily debunked that anyone who has ever taken an introductory astronomy class can do it.


Paul La Bonte (not verified)
Posts: 4294964979
Joined: 1969-12-31
User is offlineOffline
9/11 nuts???

 Surely you can't be a person of science or reason if you don't think there is an overwhelming amount of evidence that something other than pancaking occurred to the twin towers. For example: No...I repeat NO steel constructed high rise has ever failed due to fire in the history of steel constructed high rises until 9/11 when there were 3 and one of them wasn't on fire or hit by a plane. 3 at the same time in the same place and the same way is simply impossible unless there was an internal impetus. Pancaking buildings leave much of the infrastructure intact, not pulverized into dust!! Of over 3,000 human beings only 200 could be identified, other bone fragments were less that a centimeter in length. This is all documented fact if you care to research it instead of allowing yourself to be spoonfed the same kind of lies the American people were told about the Kennedy assassination. Something I suppose you think was a one man job too?? Don't drink the kool-aid investigate for yourself and you will realize it just doesn't add up.


Vastet
atheistBloggerHigh Level ModeratorSuperfan
Vastet's picture
Posts: 10368
Joined: 2006-12-25
User is offlineOffline
Paul La Bonte wrote: Surely

Paul La Bonte wrote:

 Surely you can't be a person of science or reason if you don't think there is an overwhelming amount of evidence that something other than pancaking occurred to the twin towers. For example: No...I repeat NO steel constructed high rise has ever failed due to fire in the history of steel constructed high rises until 9/11 when there were 3 and one of them wasn't on fire or hit by a plane. 3 at the same time in the same place and the same way is simply impossible unless there was an internal impetus. Pancaking buildings leave much of the infrastructure intact, not pulverized into dust!! Of over 3,000 human beings only 200 could be identified, other bone fragments were less that a centimeter in length. This is all documented fact if you care to research it instead of allowing yourself to be spoonfed the same kind of lies the American people were told about the Kennedy assassination. Something I suppose you think was a one man job too?? Don't drink the kool-aid investigate for yourself and you will realize it just doesn't add up.

I guess you somehow failed to notice that there was jet fuel driving that fire, and that jet fuel had never before been used as an accelerant for burning a skyscraper before either.

I guess you also never considered what the impact on the surrounding area of two massive skyscrapers collapsing would cause.

Ugh. I can't believe this topic is still being posted in by idiots every odd month.

Proud Canadian, Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.


dbryceman (not verified)
Posts: 4294964979
Joined: 1969-12-31
User is offlineOffline
The thing about 2012 is that

The thing about 2012 is that humans just haven't been studying things long enough to know what will happen next.  What's the big deal about the Mayan calendar?  The long count ends in 2012, and there is no reason that one could not just restart the count.  If the world ends in 2012, do you suppose a scientist is going to dig up our 2813 ephimeris remains and swear to the world that everything ends in December 2813 at midnight because we ended our calendar there?  If the earth tilts, or rolls, or experiences a long period of magnetic chaos, this whole debate will be pretty unimportant. 

Most likely, there is a black hole in the center of our galaxy, and it has been there forever as far as we're concerned, so it is unlikely that the center of the galaxy is going to destroy the planet.  There's a lot of stuff between us and the center of the galaxy, so I guess it would all go too.  Besides, the gravity of a black hole is not confined to the plane of a razor-thin disk in space.  It's not like we can all set our watches and pass through the 'galactic alignment' in ten minutes as if we were watching a lunar eclipse.  There will be no moment when everyone can say,"Whew!   We made it!".   These are universal-scale fears about crap that nobody understands.  If physicists or astronomers knew what they were doing, there wouldn't be any debate on these topics, so it helps very little to ask a "qualified" idiot for an intelligent answer.  It's like asking a physicist where photons are during the 50% of the time that they are not here with us.  They don't know.  They'll bullshit for an hour without actually saying anything, until they are satisfied that they sound intelligent, then they go on theorizing.  At the end of the day, they are just average Joes with complex terminology and a lot of fear about getting funding, and spending funding.  The photon is here.  The photon is gone.  That is all we really know, and we aren't too sure about that.  That's just what photons do while we are watching.  Hell, it's anyone's guess what the universe is doing when we aren't watching....  maybe it's not even there....

Well, I'm sure that an alien abductee or a scientist with access to top secret classified government files will publish a book explaining that we actually do know the deal, but we aren't sharing, because the Illuminati are using this knowledge for leverage to maintain control of the human race, which is just a farming project for big headed grays who feed on liquified human remains.

Whatever.  The rational answer to the whole 2012 thing is that if anyone knows, they aren't telling, and anyone who claims to know is probably going to sell you something if they can.


Mike Carey (not verified)
Posts: 4294964979
Joined: 1969-12-31
User is offlineOffline
the polar shift is nothing

the polar shift is nothing to do with a black hole. every 3600 years the planet nibiru (which orbits our sun and another star in our galaxy) is aligned directly between the earth and mars. because it's so close to earth the gravitational pull moves our magnetic north about 45 degrees.  the mayan calander predicts the cataclysmic events or the end of a full cylce on this day 21 december 2012.  its also mayan legend that the 13 crystal skulls (look it up) will be brought together on this day and the knowledge of the universe will unfold.
 

anyone reading this will probably think i've lost the plot.
but it is my belief that the aliens living (or traveling) on this planet came to earth teaching us how to farm and build. and in return to build them monuments. obviously if you were at the dawn of civilization, people coming from the skies with great knowledge are going to be worshiped as gods. hence the egyptian and mayan cultures were born.

in fact it wouldnt suprise me if the pyramids and mayan temples were actually some kind of transportational devices.

im open to peoples coments and theories and if you can prove me wrong id love to hear it. but id rather not hear it if your just gonna give me abuse. cheers xx

 

mike x


Vastet
atheistBloggerHigh Level ModeratorSuperfan
Vastet's picture
Posts: 10368
Joined: 2006-12-25
User is offlineOffline
Why won't it die? The only

Why won't it die? The only thread to rear its head two years later....

Proud Canadian, Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.


bill zebub
Posts: 3
Joined: 2009-07-21
User is offlineOffline
no confusion necessary

I will be outside with my compass on Dec 22, 2012 to witness absolutely nothing. We will get up and go to work and all will be fine. Christians and other zealots worldwide will be shivering in fear for the 'end of the world" once more. Armageddon will be upon us! I wonder how many times they are going to put themselves through all that stress for nothing? As far as some dramatic change in human thinking, I predict intelligence and free thinking will prevail: something zealots are afraid of.


keeshee (not verified)
Posts: 4294964979
Joined: 1969-12-31
User is offlineOffline
exactly! i have calenders

exactly! i have calenders hanging on my wall that end on december 31 2009! does that mean im gonna die? no of course it doesnt! god people r so gullible.


Observer
Observer's picture
Posts: 63
Joined: 2008-09-17
User is offlineOffline
Shouldn't the Native

Shouldn't the Native Americans have been more concerned with 1492 than 2012? lol. Not to trivalize the way the Europeans treated them, but come on...2012 is the new Y2K.


ohGr (not verified)
Posts: 4294964979
Joined: 1969-12-31
User is offlineOffline
Fact

I have done a lot of research on this subject and of all the theories that I've read about the most believeable is the one that actually has scientific proof to back this up. 

 

Our sun goes through cycles of high solar activity and low solar activity.  The cycle occurs about every 11 years.  Everyone by now knows what a solar flare is, well these solar flares happen during high solar activity.  For the last 5 years we have been in a lul of solar activity, actually this lul has been one of the calmest periods in recorded history, and we were due to begin moving into a high period a few years ago.  NASA has been puzzled as to why the sun is taking so long to shift back to into its high activity period.  The last time a lul like this happened was before 1859.  When the high period began it caused a large amount of solar flares which bombarded earth with radiation and cause the aurora borealis to be seen as far south as mexico city and cuba.  It also caused the telegraph system at the time to completely short out. 

 

The reasons this would be bad for us today is because we are completly reliant on electricity.  Our everyday lives revolve around using electronics.  Yes mankind can survive without it but if it were to dissapear overnight we would be in trouble.  Just one simple example is that our food supply is highly dependant on electricity to keep it cool.  Without that we would have massive food shortages.. When people go hungry they will do just about anything to not be hungry.   Anyone remember what happened when the east coast of the united states lost electricity due to a giant solar flare that caused the electrical grid to shut down?  Engineers say that if the entire grid were to completely go down in the united states that it would take 2-3 years to restore it back to its original functionable state.  

 

The solar peak is scheduled for 2012

 


Kaiyote (not verified)
Posts: 4294964979
Joined: 1969-12-31
User is offlineOffline
The peoples of the earth

The peoples of the earth experience the Milky Way as a band, or river, running above our heads.  It is actually a big circle inclined at 60 degrees to the plane of the ecliptic.  The ecliptic is the apparent path that the sun traces out in the sky over a year.  The planets all fall within an 8 degree band on either side of the ecliptic.  (except that weirdo Pluto)  In the nuclear bulge at the center of the Milky Way lies a dark rift and the remarkable alignment referred to in the Mayan Calendar is when the 2012 December Solstice Sun converges with the exact centerline of the Milky Way.  Due to the wobble in the Earth's rotation, the winter Solstice Sun actually takes 36 years to precess through this region.  Belgian astronomer Jean Meeus determined the precise center alignment occurred in 1998 and the end of the precession to be 2016.  Still, since this event will not happen for another 12,960 years, a pretty amazing "prophecy".

Thousands of pretty smart people, feeling the rapid acceleration of earth's "problems" are attributing the wildest possible theories of end times to this astronomical event.  A shift in the magnetic poles is nothing to an actual pole shift of even one or two degrees, much less a major pole shift.  We're pretty much toast if the axis of the earth has a major change.  One of the more probable theories I have heard about this happening is the passing of a small planet on a 30,000+ orbit, ( perpendicular to the earth's orbit), between the earth and mars.  That would probably do it but I have never seen or read any evidence of any planet having an orbit like this.  Much more likely is simply an overly large solar storm hitting at just the right alignment and wasting out our technology.  The last not so big storm in the 1880's fried telegraph wires throughout the west.  Of course, our major systems are supposedly impervious to this kind of electronic attack, but imagine if the earth lost 80% of its electronic data in 1 or 2 days.

The bottom line is that we are all going to die of something sooner or later.  I'm sure that victims of the Holocaust, Native peoples suffering utter destruction of their lives and cultures, etc. all felt they were in "end times".  The only way to live is to find your truth and stay in integrity to it.  No matter what.


Kaiyotek (not verified)
Posts: 4294964979
Joined: 1969-12-31
User is offlineOffline
The peoples of the earth

The peoples of the earth Submitted by Kaiyote (not verified) on October 8, 2009 - 2:38pm. The peoples of the earth experience the Milky Way as a band, or river, running above our heads. It is actually a big circle inclined at 60 degrees to the plane of the ecliptic. The ecliptic is the apparent path that the sun traces out in the sky over a year. The planets all fall within an 8 degree band on either side of the ecliptic. (except that weirdo Pluto) In the nuclear bulge at the center of the Milky Way lies a dark rift and the remarkable alignment referred to in the Mayan Calendar is when the 2012 December Solstice Sun converges with the exact centerline of the Milky Way. Due to the wobble in the Earth's rotation, the winter Solstice Sun actually takes 36 years to precess through this region. Belgian astronomer Jean Meeus determined the precise center alignment occurred in 1998 and the end of the precession to be 2016. Still, since this event will not happen for another 12,960 years, a pretty amazing "prophecy". Thousands of pretty smart people, feeling the rapid acceleration of earth's "problems" are attributing the wildest possible theories of end times to this astronomical event. A shift in the magnetic poles is nothing to an actual pole shift of even one or two degrees, much less a major pole shift. We're pretty much toast if the axis of the earth has a major change. One of the more probable theories I have heard about this happening is the passing of a small planet on a 30,000+ orbit, ( perpendicular to the earth's orbit), between the earth and mars. That would probably do it but I have never seen or read any evidence of any planet having an orbit like this. Much more likely is simply an overly large solar storm hitting at just the right alignment and wasting out our technology. The last not so big storm in the 1880's fried telegraph wires throughout the west. Of course, our major systems are supposedly impervious to this kind of electronic attack, but imagine if the earth lost 80% of its electronic data in 1 or 2 days. The bottom line is that we are all going to die of something sooner or later. I'm sure that victims of the Holocaust, Native peoples suffering utter destruction of their lives and cultures, etc. all felt they were in "end times". The only way to live is to find your truth and stay in integrity to it. No matter what.


BobSpence
High Level DonorRational VIP!ScientistWebsite Admin
BobSpence's picture
Posts: 5809
Joined: 2006-02-14
User is offlineOffline
The gravitational and

The gravitational and magnetic influences on the Earth of any bodies in the Universe beyond the Sun, the Moon, and, to a tiny extent Mars, are so infinitesimal, especially relative to the forces needed to cause things like shifting the Earth's axis of rotation in any significant degree over a short term, or any movement of the Earth relative to the rest of the Solar System, that these galactic alignments are utterly irrelevant. The collective force of the Galaxy on the Solar System is certainly significant, but it acts uniformly on the system as a whole, because of the great distance of the bulk of the galaxy from us, so cannot disrupt components of the system relative to others.

'Passing thru the gravitational influence' of the black hole at the center of the Galaxy is utter crap - the gravitational field of any object, of any mass, whether a black hole or not, is felt uniformly in all directions, purely as a function of its mass and distance from us. We have always been in its gravitational field, and would have to leave the Galaxy far behind to get away from it. There is nothing special about the gravity field of a black hole unless you approach its 'event horizon'. If our Sun were replaced by a black hole of the same mass, there would be zero effect on the motions of the planets.

The most significant dangers from beyond the Earth currently seem to be collisions with significant-sized asteroids/meteors, or the explosion of nearby gamma-ray bursters, at least on the scale of millennia.

The possibility of a major magnetic disruption from the Sun is a genuine worry, mainly because we are now so dependent on electrical power systems and electronic communications, which would be seriously disrupted.

On a much longer time-scale, serious problems would arise if the Solar System orbited into a area of the galaxy with a lot higher density of dust and gas.

Favorite oxymorons: Gospel Truth, Rational Supernaturalist, Business Ethics, Christian Morality

"Theology is now little more than a branch of human ignorance. Indeed, it is ignorance with wings." - Sam Harris

The path to Truth lies via careful study of reality, not the dreams of our fallible minds - me

From the sublime to the ridiculous: Science -> Philosophy -> Theology


yogs (not verified)
Posts: 4294964979
Joined: 1969-12-31
User is offlineOffline
well the real truth was we

well the real truth was we are all responsible in this damage to our mother nature and even with or without polar shift we will be facing more catastrophic scene sooner or later. whatever what will happen we are all responsible all of this we tried to make our lives more easy but we made more damage to our mother earth. so lets face everything someday.


Leah (not verified)
Posts: 4294964979
Joined: 1969-12-31
User is offlineOffline
 Wow This person has

 Wow This person has completely missed the fact that energy = consciousness & Light is energy. Duh...my 3 year old knows more about the substance of matter than you!

 

With this being true, I completely just discredited everything you just said, after the way you went about conducting a healthy debate, in a tactless way, discredited everything you just said.  


Leah (not verified)
Posts: 4294964979
Joined: 1969-12-31
User is offlineOffline
 Nope, you got that

 Nope, you got that absolutely right there friend : )

We are experiencing the symptoms of this now~

 


Leah ; )* (not verified)
Posts: 4294964979
Joined: 1969-12-31
User is offlineOffline
 Hint*If you are relying on

 Hint*

If you are relying on the bible as a premise for scientific understanding then I have a secret to let you in on:

In the vast world.... there exists other books...... and in these books you will find a vast database of knowledge.  Then based on correlations of historical events, documented facts, and specific data, and the scientific method ( this is a science forum right? ) you will find that the bible, or rather what it has become, is more of a piece of literature than it is something to base your understanding of reality on. 

Just thought I could help....

 

 

 


Leah ; )* (not verified)
Posts: 4294964979
Joined: 1969-12-31
User is offlineOffline
 Hint*If you are relying on

 Hint*

If you are relying on the bible as a premise for scientific understanding then I have a secret to let you in on:

In the vast world.... there exists other books...... and in these books you will find a vast database of knowledge.  Then based on correlations of historical events, documented facts, and specific data, and the scientific method ( this is a science forum right? ) you will find that the bible, or rather what it has become, is more of a piece of literature than it is something to base your understanding of reality on. 

Just thought I could help....

 

 

 


S1L3NTH4B1NG3R (not verified)
Posts: 4294964979
Joined: 1969-12-31
User is offlineOffline
Unicorns...?

 On 2012 Unicorns that shoot laser beams out of their eyes will descend upon us and kill us all!

We will all get Sparta kicked into the pit of death by these Unicorns as well and the Black Hole in the center of our universe will consume us and we will all be in Unicorn Land.

--

Seriously...  The people who think the world will end in 2012 just because sun's magnetic fields will shift and it just happens to be the year when the Mayan Calender starts a new cycle need to think again, there is no evidence to back this at all, you are just putting random events together to try to explain something that doesn't make any logical sense.

 

You don't need scientific evidence to realize this, you need something most people do not have, a rare gift called common sense.  

 

No one knows what will happen when The Sun experiences a polar shift again, it has happened in 2001 and I'm not drowning in water or in flames or struck by lightning yet.

 

Seriously, stop Googling and using Wikipedia to search for random words in a stupid attempt to make your point sound smarter, do these things:

 

Get a Job

Get a Girlfriend/Wife (Or vice-versa... depending on if you are a female or a homosexual)

Go to School

Get a Life

 

Sincerely,

 

S1L3NT


S1L3NTH4B1NG3R
Posts: 1
Joined: 2009-10-12
User is offlineOffline
 I HAVE FIGURED IT OUT.  I

 I HAVE FIGURED IT OUT.  I HAVE A THEORY READY?

 

UNICORN SPARTA THEORY

 

On 2012, Unicorns that shoot laser beams out of their eyes will descend upon The Earth and kill us all!

 We will all get Sparta kicked into the pit of death by these Unicorns as well; also the Black Hole in the center of our universe will consume us and we will all be in Unicorn Land. -- Seriously...  The people who think the world will end in 2012 just because sun's magnetic fields will shift and it just happens to be the year when the Mayan Calender starts a new cycle need to think again, there is no evidence to back this at all, you are just putting random events together to try to explain something that doesn't make any logical sense.   You don't need scientific evidence to realize this, you need something most people do not have, a rare gift called common sense.     No one knows what will happen when The Sun experiences a polar shift again, it has happened in 2001 and I'm not drowning in water or in flames or struck by lightning yet.   Seriously, stop Googling and using Wikipedia to search for random words in a stupid attempt to make your point sound smarter... Do these things instead:   Get a Job Get a Girlfriend/Wife (Or vice-versa... depending on if you are a female or a homosexual) Go to School Get a Life   Sincerely,   S1L3NT

 


Anonymous25 (not verified)
Posts: 4294964979
Joined: 1969-12-31
User is offlineOffline
2012

What if the gravitational pull change was enough to cause a climate shift. I would have to assume that the changing of polls before hasn't caused a significant problem. in all honestly I think that a global climate shift caused by a change in gravitational pull is much more plausible than anything those guys are saying in those videos. In that case it may not be dramatic at all.


BobSpence
High Level DonorRational VIP!ScientistWebsite Admin
BobSpence's picture
Posts: 5809
Joined: 2006-02-14
User is offlineOffline
Anonymous25 wrote:What if

Anonymous25 wrote:

What if the gravitational pull change was enough to cause a climate shift. I would have to assume that the changing of polls before hasn't caused a significant problem. in all honestly I think that a global climate shift caused by a change in gravitational pull is much more plausible than anything those guys are saying in those videos. In that case it may not be dramatic at all.

There will be no measureable change in gravitational pull. Certainly nothing due to anything outside our solar system.

To change the earth's rotation to any degree in a short time, the gravitational pull would have to truly massive, and it would require something more massive than the moon, and the same sort of distance or closer, which I think we may have noticed...

Only a change in axis of rotation with respect to the Sun could affect our climate.

The change in the rotational axis, not to be confused with the location of the magnetic poles, can be caused by a steady pull on the Earth's equatorial 'bulge'. If the earth was a perfect sphere with an even mass distribution, no gravitational pull could have any effect on its rotational axis.

The magnetic poles are wandering around all the time, and the strength and direction of the magnetic field has varied through many cycles over geological time, due to influences of the Sun's magnetic field, and changes in the pattern of magma currents inside the Earth.

The magnetic field may have some slight influence on the climate.

Favorite oxymorons: Gospel Truth, Rational Supernaturalist, Business Ethics, Christian Morality

"Theology is now little more than a branch of human ignorance. Indeed, it is ignorance with wings." - Sam Harris

The path to Truth lies via careful study of reality, not the dreams of our fallible minds - me

From the sublime to the ridiculous: Science -> Philosophy -> Theology


ClockCat
ClockCat's picture
Posts: 2265
Joined: 2009-03-26
User is offlineOffline
:3

KSMB wrote:

denialator wrote:

You may want to check out the recent shift in the earth's axis by a measurable amount, (26 degrees off axis) also verified by several bona fide scientific sources.

Visit: http://divulgence.net

Holy crap, that site is surely the dumbest site I have seen since answersingenesis. Not only are there NO scientific sources what so ever, the claim is so easily debunked that anyone who has ever taken an introductory astronomy class can do it.

 

Let me help.

 

http://www.wnd.com/

Theism is why we can't have nice things.


Vikas9844 (not verified)
Posts: 4294964979
Joined: 1969-12-31
User is offlineOffline
I dont know

I dont know whats going to happen in 2012, But may be doomsday occur, or may be it will not... In condition of occurrence we will die... I want to say something before die, I want to let U know that you are so beautiful,n I think I fall in...you.. Know...I..I...fall in Pit...no no no not Pit... Actually...I...I Gotta go...Sorry... [ 1st Step... 2nd Step... 3rd Step...Stop,just move back , looking at U in hurry ](Shouting) replace pit with love...[Going away Faster, Almost running]


Answers in Gene...
High Level Donor
Answers in Gene Simmons's picture
Posts: 4214
Joined: 2008-11-11
User is offlineOffline
ClockCat wrote:KSMB

ClockCat wrote:

KSMB wrote:

denialator wrote:

You may want to check out the recent shift in the earth's axis by a measurable amount, (26 degrees off axis) also verified by several bona fide scientific sources.

Visit: http://divulgence.net

Holy crap, that site is surely the dumbest site I have seen since answersingenesis. Not only are there NO scientific sources what so ever, the claim is so easily debunked that anyone who has ever taken an introductory astronomy class can do it.

 

Let me help.

 

http://www.wnd.com/

 

I can do even better:

 

http://www.timecube.com/

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:
Never ever did I say enything about free, I said "free."

=


Snogger (not verified)
Posts: 4294964979
Joined: 1969-12-31
User is offlineOffline
2012

Something is up.

The largest military base in the world is being built as we speak in south-east Colorado.

The bush family purchased ninety thousand acres in the middle of South America.

Why take the trouble to build the Salvbard seed vault.

WHO changed the definition of what it considers a pandemic.

Just watch the super-rich and powerful, they're making money and breaking laws like it's cool! I know that's nothing unusual, but crashing economies, one would think, to their own detriments, as if they knew the party was ending.

 


Vastet
atheistBloggerHigh Level ModeratorSuperfan
Vastet's picture
Posts: 10368
Joined: 2006-12-25
User is offlineOffline
"The largest military base

"The largest military base in the world is being built as we speak in south-east Colorado."

Evidence? Relevance?

"The bush family purchased ninety thousand acres in the middle of South America."

Evidence? Relevance?

"Why take the trouble to build the Salvbard seed vault."

Because there are billions of asteroids and comets zipping around in space, and it would be nice to have the capacity to rebuild the ecosystems of Earth should one hit us. Not to mention all the other dangers which would take at least a 600 page novel just to list, let alone describe.

"WHO changed the definition of what it considers a pandemic."

Evidence? Relevance?

Proud Canadian, Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.


Vastet
atheistBloggerHigh Level ModeratorSuperfan
Vastet's picture
Posts: 10368
Joined: 2006-12-25
User is offlineOffline
"Just watch the super-rich

"Just watch the super-rich and powerful, they're making money and breaking laws like it's cool! I know that's nothing unusual, but crashing economies, one would think, to their own detriments, as if they knew the party was ending."

I bolded the important segment. The rich today are doing what the rich have always done. If an indicator of disaster, why are we still here?

Proud Canadian, Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.


djc (not verified)
Posts: 4294964979
Joined: 1969-12-31
User is offlineOffline
earth pole shift 2012? Is there any real evidence?

Anyone ever heard of the Woolly Mamoth.  1000's of them have been discovered frozen in Siberia with tropical half digested vegitation still in there stomachs.  And guess what scientists can't explain it.  Hahahaha.  Its so simple it was a pole shift caused by a megnetic reversal, the only possible explanation.   The Mayans as well as many other ancient civilizations were very determined with letting us know of the up coming shift .    The strength of the earths megnetic field has decreased 15% since 1854, the magnetic North Pole is shifting 10km per year, the sun's megnetic poles reversed in 2001 and will reverse in 2012 and will cause a Solar climax, the galactic alignment that takes place in 2012 that happens every 25000 years, the doomsday seed vault the Norwegians built underground, the Dutch government put ads on TV and radio to prepare for 2012...... The list of actual scientific fact that coincides with dozens of prophesis coming from different regions is something that cannot be ignored.  Why not take some precautions incase it does happen, to not properly research the facts and lash out is complete ignorance.   


Vastet
atheistBloggerHigh Level ModeratorSuperfan
Vastet's picture
Posts: 10368
Joined: 2006-12-25
User is offlineOffline
" Hahahaha.  Its so simple

" Hahahaha.  Its so simple it was a pole shift caused by a megnetic reversal, the only possible explanation. "

Then why haven't you won a nobel prize for your so-called solution, hmm?

The rest is just ignorant babble without support.

Actually, it was all ignorant babble...

Proud Canadian, Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.


Anonymous2012 (not verified)
Posts: 4294964979
Joined: 1969-12-31
User is offlineOffline
I read this blog:

I read this blog: http://hubpages.com/hub/The-Scientific-Proof-of-2012

 

It provides very rich information about the Scientific Proof behind 2012, you guys should check it out =D


butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
Posts: 3688
Joined: 2008-09-12
User is offlineOffline
I don't understand why the

I don't understand why the alignment of the Earth with sun and the center of the Milky Way galaxy will cause a pole shift. 

Explain it to me.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, | As I foretold you, were all spirits, and | Are melted into air, into thin air; | And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, | The cloud-capped towers, the gorgeous palaces, | The solemn temples, the great globe itself, - Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve, | And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, | Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff | As dreams are made on, and our little life | Is rounded with a sleep. - Shakespeare


Vastet
atheistBloggerHigh Level ModeratorSuperfan
Vastet's picture
Posts: 10368
Joined: 2006-12-25
User is offlineOffline
"Scientists believe that a

"Scientists believe that a phenomenon will occur, one that happens every 360,000 years, in which the center of the Milky Way galaxy (which is a huge black hole), the earth, and the sun will be in direct alignment, causing the poles of the earth to shift about 45 degrees."

Bullshit. Demonstrated as Bullshit every time there is an alignment within our own solar system and nothing happens. Also, what scientists?

"As unlikely as this theory seems, it is backed by science, Albert Einsteinfirst suggested it in 1955. And a new study by Princeton University reveals that the Poles have shifted before. For example, in the past, Alaska rested in the Equator"

Plate tectonics, anyone? And Antarctica was and some day will be again not at the South pole.

This is so dumb a 4th grader should know enough basic science to rip it apart.

Proud Canadian, Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.


Answers in Gene...
High Level Donor
Answers in Gene Simmons's picture
Posts: 4214
Joined: 2008-11-11
User is offlineOffline
Quote:Also, let it be noted,

Quote:
Also, let it be noted, Scientists have noted that when Jupiter and Saturn are aligned on the same side of the Sun, the solar maximum (the period when we have the most sunspots and flares) is at its weakest; when they are on opposite sides of the Sun the solar maximum is at its strongest. The positions of these two planets on December 21, 2012 are ideal for extreme solar activity.

 

OK, as I happen to be an amateur astronomer, I have the software to find out where Jupiter and Saturn will be on 12-21-12.  The verdict of science is in and you are talking out of your ass hole.

 

 

 

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:
Never ever did I say enything about free, I said "free."

=


Vastet
atheistBloggerHigh Level ModeratorSuperfan
Vastet's picture
Posts: 10368
Joined: 2006-12-25
User is offlineOffline
Awesome. I was going to look

Awesome. I was going to look for something to confirm that, but was short on time and don't have such a programme.

Proud Canadian, Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.


BobSpence
High Level DonorRational VIP!ScientistWebsite Admin
BobSpence's picture
Posts: 5809
Joined: 2006-02-14
User is offlineOffline
These ideas about the

These ideas about the effects of the 'alignment' of various astronomical bodies have absolutely nothing to do with science, they persist along with other astrological ideas for misguided 'intuitive' reasons.

Even if the alignments were far more precise than they typically actually are, the only direct effect is that one body will be visually blocked by another, as with a solar eclipse, but its gravitational and magnetic influence will not be 'blocked' in any sense.

There are still beliefs around about 'magical' effects, like it being easier to balance eggs on their ends during an solar eclipse, or even during an equinox, because of 'alignments'.

 

Favorite oxymorons: Gospel Truth, Rational Supernaturalist, Business Ethics, Christian Morality

"Theology is now little more than a branch of human ignorance. Indeed, it is ignorance with wings." - Sam Harris

The path to Truth lies via careful study of reality, not the dreams of our fallible minds - me

From the sublime to the ridiculous: Science -> Philosophy -> Theology


Watcher
atheist
Posts: 2326
Joined: 2007-07-10
User is offlineOffline
djc wrote:Anyone ever heard

djc wrote:

Anyone ever heard of the Woolly Mamoth.  1000's of them have been discovered frozen in Siberia with tropical half digested vegitation still in there stomachs.  And guess what scientists can't explain it.  Hahahaha.  Its so simple it was a pole shift caused by a megnetic reversal, the only possible explanation.   The Mayans as well as many other ancient civilizations were very determined with letting us know of the up coming shift .    The strength of the earths megnetic field has decreased 15% since 1854, the magnetic North Pole is shifting 10km per year, the sun's megnetic poles reversed in 2001 and will reverse in 2012 and will cause a Solar climax, the galactic alignment that takes place in 2012 that happens every 25000 years, the doomsday seed vault the Norwegians built underground, the Dutch government put ads on TV and radio to prepare for 2012...... The list of actual scientific fact that coincides with dozens of prophesis coming from different regions is something that cannot be ignored.  Why not take some precautions incase it does happen, to not properly research the facts and lash out is complete ignorance.   

You, my friend, are a complete nutbar. 

"I am an atheist, thank God." -Oriana Fallaci