If anyone deserves a knee today and throughout the weekend Aretha does.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
If anyone deserves a knee today and throughout the weekend Aretha does.

As many already know she passed away today. On top of her worldwide loved music, she was a HUGE Civil Rights supporter. 

https://www.cnn.com/2018/08/16/entertainment/aretha-franklin-dead/index.html

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under BrianJames Rational Poet also on twitter under Brianrrs37

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
ProzacDeathWish's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Are you going to give her

Are you going to give her a pass for believing in a "sky daddy" ?  

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
 No, no more than I gave my

No, no more than I gave my own mother who died a believer. Being a good person does not mean you are right about everything.

One of MLK's biggest supporters was a black atheist, A Phillip Randolph. 

Aretha didn't need a god anymore than Malala does, anymore than Ann Frank did. 

There is a huge difference between blasphemy and bigotry. Blasphemy is a word used by theists to stop scrutiny of their claims. Bigotry is when you fear someone's mere existence for no good reason. 

I do not fear any human who values non violence and common law, and will always support their human rights, just like I loved my own mother. That is not any obligation on my part to blindy say "that's nice" every time something comes out of their mouths.

I support Aretha, and Malala, and Ann Frank, not because I think they need religion, but because they are the empathetic side of our species. But none of their empathy, as great as our species can be in displaying that means that a god exists.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under BrianJames Rational Poet also on twitter under Brianrrs37