Harry Potter

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
digitalbeachbum's picture
User is offlineOffline
Harry Potter

I don't care for the movies, never saw them until my kids were old enough to handle it. We had a rule, no movies until you read the books.

I've seen bits and pieces but honestly, the movies suck, except for the last two which I only enjoyed the very ending.

The books are better because you get to use your imagination. I think that is 100% better than CG or any other effects.

Recently I was told about these court cases against JK Rowling and how she copied stuff from other books. Of course she and Time Warner won the cases because they are too powerful to be stopped.

However after looking at things from the perspective of the other authors I can see why they are pissed.

One situation steals non-copyrighted material, such as the word Muggles and has a character who is named Potter, has brown hair, wears glasses and has similar characteristics.

The other one is more obvious, because an event takes place like in the Goblet of Fire, where contestants must rescue other humans from beasts and creatures, through a series of events, including an underwater event and a bathroom scene.

It baffles me that this shit happens but it is what it is and doesn't change the fact that I dislike everything about Harry Potter.

Makes me want to burn all the shit my kids have including their wands and posters.

Kudos to JK Rowling for putting all the shit together and making a mountain of money out of it, but those other authors should have been compensated for their ideas.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
No story has been truly

No story has been truly unique since before the bible was compiled. I personally think the idea of ownership of a story concept, or any idea for that matter, ridiculous. You can take literally any two random novels and find common concepts within.

Proud Canadian, Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote:No story has

Vastet wrote:
No story has been truly unique since before the bible was compiled. I personally think the idea of ownership of a story concept, or any idea for that matter, ridiculous. You can take literally any two random novels and find common concepts within.

I agree. There was an article I read a few years ago about how there is no longer any original music. Everything we hear today is a copy or influence of something previously.

Music has a limited range for humans so the same chords are played over and over again, only changing the tempo and being repetitive at different lengths or positions.

There was a mathematician who said claiming "invented" music is a lie. He was working on a computer program to write all the possible music which would be pleasing to a human ear.

He said claiming you invented an arrangement of notes is like claiming you invented breathing. It's there waiting to be discovered.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
I very much like that

I very much like that approach, there is a mathematically finite number of arrangements of sound or light or taste etc. that could be pleasing, even when accounting for variations of taste. Inevitably people will find a way to produce them all provided we are given the time and opportunity.

There's another way I like to look at it also.

Every time I try to conceive of all the potential influences and their impacts on society and individuals over just the period within which we have utilized language; I'm as quickly overwhelmed as I am when I attempt to conceptualize the known universe. The numbers are well beyond our ability to calculate, and..

There's no history. Even today with the internet you can't account for every influence today. We don't even have half of the necessary information to identify every little influence on every individual and on society at large or small every day, let alone a fraction on the necessary knowledge to know what impact those influences will have over time and when in conflict with other influences.

Go back 40 years and you don't even have half of half of the information we have access to now. Go back 80 years and really only 'celebrities' have left any identifiable footprint. The vast majority of the population is at best remembered by name and obituary and state records.

The further back you go, the lack of information increases exponentially until you hit a point when myth and history become indistinguishable. Then myth takes over completely and you can't even validate the celebrities. Then even myth vanishes and all you have left is archeology.

To think that anyone ever born was capable of designing or creating or shaping or whatever anything completely original and devoid of the influence of their environment is crazy.

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote:I very much

Vastet wrote:
I very much like that approach, there is a mathematically finite number of arrangements of sound or light or taste etc. that could be pleasing, even when accounting for variations of taste. Inevitably people will find a way to produce them all provided we are given the time and opportunity. There's another way I like to look at it also. Every time I try to conceive of all the potential influences and their impacts on society and individuals over just the period within which we have utilized language; I'm as quickly overwhelmed as I am when I attempt to conceptualize the known universe. The numbers are well beyond our ability to calculate, and.. There's no history. Even today with the internet you can't account for every influence today. We don't even have half of the necessary information to identify every little influence on every individual and on society at large or small every day, let alone a fraction on the necessary knowledge to know what impact those influences will have over time and when in conflict with other influences. Go back 40 years and you don't even have half of half of the information we have access to now. Go back 80 years and really only 'celebrities' have left any identifiable footprint. The vast majority of the population is at best remembered by name and obituary and state records. The further back you go, the lack of information increases exponentially until you hit a point when myth and history become indistinguishable. Then myth takes over completely and you can't even validate the celebrities. Then even myth vanishes and all you have left is archeology. To think that anyone ever born was capable of designing or creating or shaping or whatever anything completely original and devoid of the influence of their environment is crazy.

That's a truthful way to view things. Impermanence.

I would like to leave no footprint. There is no reason for a grave or stone. It's all kind of pointless and only for those who knew you or for histroical purposes.

I like what Buddha said about the Dharma. Eventually one day, the Dharma will be forgotten. People will not know the information they have now. The Buddhas will be forgotten and people will go back to the way that they were before, thousands of years previously.

Eventually, Islam, Christianity, Judaism and all the other religions will be forgotten or be modified to dogma unrecognizable from today. Language is the same way.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
I wouldn't mind leaving a

I wouldn't mind leaving a footprint, just not a visible one you could connect to me personally. I'm quite happy to slide into history unobserved. Being noticed just means people remember your name and use you in their petty arguments for centuries.
No individual matters more than the whole, as without the whole there cannot be an individual. We should celebrate our accomplishments and remember our failures as a species. The fact is that if Newton hadn't explained gravity (kinda), someone else would have. Probably within a century of Newton. Convergent evolution has interesting applications on the societal level. It has not been uncommon throughout history for the same discovery to occur in multiple places at about the same time.

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote:I wouldn't mind

Vastet wrote:
I wouldn't mind leaving a footprint, just not a visible one you could connect to me personally. I'm quite happy to slide into history unobserved. Being noticed just means people remember your name and use you in their petty arguments for centuries. No individual matters more than the whole, as without the whole there cannot be an individual. We should celebrate our accomplishments and remember our failures as a species. The fact is that if Newton hadn't explained gravity (kinda), someone else would have. Probably within a century of Newton. Convergent evolution has interesting applications on the societal level. It has not been uncommon throughout history for the same discovery to occur in multiple places at about the same time.

Yeah. I agree. I want to be shot up in to the upper atmosphere and have my ashes released. They said your ashes will float up there for 10,000 years before they all fall back down. That's cool. So that's my footprint.

I don't want any one to remember me except for the people who actually knew me. I guess there is a chance I might write some popular book or poem, then be remembered for a thousand years but I doubt it.

I've thought about that before, sort of how religion happened during the Golden age. I wonder what is next after the Internet becomes boring to every one.

I realized a long time ago, no one invents anything, it was only a discovery of a specific combination of variables. Telsa never invented anything, he only happeend to be the person who discovered the process for [insert whatever]

BTW - isn't interesting how the imagination works? Telsa used to say images would enter in to his mind of things he never thought of previously.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
We have so many questions

We have so many questions about the imagination. It is definitely the most interesting frontier in the living sciences.