atheism breeds hatred

JesusLovesYou
Theist
Posts: 474
Joined: 2006-12-09
User is offlineOffline
atheism breeds hatred

I believe in equality. I am a Christian, and forever will be a Christian. Jesus taught us all to love our neighbors as ourselves, which is what I live by. I believe everybody needs to know Christ, and will preach Christ, but it is up to the person to make the decision. Atheism, however, seeks to foster an atmosphere of hate. There is such a bondage and imprisonment in the thought of atheism.
Atheists think they are so superior they live in an isolationist frame of mind, and looks at "theists" as inferior, and threatens eradication, to destroy religion. Sounds very terroristic to me.

Rational Response Squad precepts
Irrationalities we should seek to eradicate from the earth

Dawkins
Religion teaches the dangerous nonsense that death is not the end.
Faith is powerful enough to immunize people against all appeals to pity, to forgiveness, to decent human feelings. It even immunizes them against fear, if they honestly believe that a martyr's death will send them straight to heaven.
It is fashionable to wax apocalyptic about the threat to humanity posed by the AIDS virus, "mad cow" disease, and many others, but I think a case can be made that faith is one of the world's great evils, comparable to the smallpox virus but harder to eradicate.
It is absolutely safe to say that, if you meet somebody who claims not to believe in evolution, that person is ignorant, stupid or insane (or wicked, but I'd rather not consider that).
To fill a world with ... religions of the Abrahamic kind, is like littering the streets with loaded guns. Do not be surprised if they are used.

Nietzsche
The everyday Christian. -- If the Christian dogmas of a revengeful God, universal sinfulness, election by divine grace and the danger of eternal damnation were true, it would be a sign of weak-mindedness and lack of character not to become a priest, apostle or hermit and, in fear and trembling, to work solely on one's own salvation; it would be senseless to lose sight of ones eternal advantage for the sake of temporal comfort. If we may assume that these things are at any rate believed true, then the everyday Christian cuts a miserable figure; he is a man who really cannot count to three, and who precisely on account of his spiritual imbecility does not deserve to be punished so harshly as Christianity promises to punish him.

Voltaire
Those who believe absurdities will commit atrocities

Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.


Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
Posts: 15462
Joined: 2006-02-14
User is offlineOffline
 NO "atheist" does not

 NO "atheist" does not bread hatred. Bad ideas litterally can and do lead to atrocities. The dark ages was a result of the church dominating Europe based on the idea that Christians were God's chosen people. 9/11 was a result of 19 Muslims having a lifetime of indoctrination in belief that killing for Mo and Allah would make them heros. Hitler sold the bad idea that God had a master race and Germans were his chosen people.

Now you take atheists words out of context. Telling people their claims can manifest into dangerous politics is true. Dawkins is absolutely right. The idea of continuing on after death, isn't based on anything scientific, but emotional. Nobody is suggesting the forced end of religion. But the words in the Bible and Quran and Jewish OT, DO contain stories of entitlement for the respective clubs, and that idea causes humans to be tribal. There simply is not polite way to put it.

 

You quoted Voltaire. YEP and that is why religion should be questioned and be open to scrutiny and blasphemy. Without the ability to question religion, things like slavery wouldn't have ended. Without the ability to queston religion women would not have gained the right to vote. Without the ability to question relgion gays would not have the right to get married. If our species never questioned social norms, our species never would have left the caves.

 

Now, if you have spent any time here, you should know that even atheists have fights between each other. Ibwiek and Beyond and especially Vastet hate my guts. "atheist" is NOT a club or gang, it is not a political party or economic view. It is not a call for fascism or dictatorship. "atheist" merely means "off" on one claim, god claims. Outside our common "off" position, we are just as diverse in our policial and economic views. 

 

I value empathetic humans like Ann Frank, but that does not make Yahweh a real god. I value the likes of Malala, but that does not make Allah a real god. I value the likes of Martin Luther King Jr, but that does not make the God of Jesus a real god.

I also value the right for Beyond and Ibwiek and Vastet, to cuss me out. Not because I agree with them, but because getting offended to me, not the worst thing in the world. I don't think they give one shit about what I think either. 

Civility isn't about never getting your claims picked on or never getting offended, or never offending. Civility is how you respond in the face of those situation. There are 7 billion humans, to think we can create a utopia where nobody speaks ill of others, or their claims is bullshit. It will happen. The only reasonble thing humans can do, which is is proven morso in the west, is civility through common law. The idea that you can offend but you cannot advocate violence or act out in violence. The Middle East is far too theocratic, even if not all Muslims want it to be. And just like the monochromatic blind loyalty of Kim Jong Un, Islamic theocrats would murder both you and me and Ibwiek and Vastet and Beyond, even if all we said is "that is not true".

 

Getting your claims picked on is not the worst thing in the world. Getting violent because someone picked on your claims does not demonstrate evidence that your claims have evidence. Getting violent because your claims got picked on is a sign of insecurity. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under BrianJames Rational Poet also on twitter under Brianrrs37


Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
Posts: 15462
Joined: 2006-02-14
User is offlineOffline
 Voltaire also said "I

 Voltaire also said "

I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."

Thomas Jefferson "Question with boldness even the existence of a god, for if there be one, surely he would pay more homage to reason than to that of blindfolded fear".

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under BrianJames Rational Poet also on twitter under Brianrrs37


Vastet
atheistBloggerHigh Level ModeratorSuperfan
Vastet's picture
Posts: 12893
Joined: 2006-12-25
User is offlineOffline
I'll let the two retards

I'll let the two retards yell at each other.

Proud Canadian, Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.


JesusLovesYou
Theist
Posts: 474
Joined: 2006-12-09
User is offlineOffline
New Atheism is a social and

New Atheism is a social and political movement that began in the early 2000s in favour of atheism and secularism promoted by a collection of modern atheist writers who have advocated the view that "religion should not simply be tolerated but should be countered, criticized, and exposed by rational argument wherever its influence arises". This is NOT peace.

Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.


JesusLovesYou
Theist
Posts: 474
Joined: 2006-12-09
User is offlineOffline
also this

The atheist movement, in composition and purpose, has in the last decade failed to demonstrate a meaningful dedication to fighting economic inequality and building a safe space for nontheists regardless of their socioeconomic class. Despite all their talk of building a better world and upholding diversity, contemporary atheism and humanism's most prominent authors and leaders have been suspiciously silent on the topic of poverty. This limits the movement's ability achieve universal compassion, and renders it unattractive to those who don't occupy a comfortable spot on the social hierarchy.

What's even worse: the atheist movement's implicit dismissal of class inequality greatly hinders its ability to build meaningful and sustainable partnerships with other moral communities, either as a function of or a result of this disregard. It creates distance between organized atheism and religious groups that are predominantly composed of the underprivileged. Without these partnerships, the idea of building "a better world" is not only unachievable, but incoherent.

The last decade is peppered with blatant examples of outright classist language and motivation that has directly distanced the atheist movement from peer religious communities. Richard Dawkins has an affinity for referring to the "educated elite" (as he does in The God Delusion) or to "elite scientists" in discussing atheist demographics--essentially, he appeals to the fact that because those in the overclass of academia share a particular view, those below them ought to strive towards it as well. In doing so, he implies that they might too achieve some sort of enlightened intellectual prosperity that these privileged elite scientists have been graced with. Atheists today allege that the stereotypes discussed earlier are leveled purely out of the insecurity of the religious position. Yet, it seems they are rather an indictment of the movement's narrow, upper-class focus, which both ignores and marginalizes the underprivileged who haven't access to the same educational opportunities.
WALKER BRISTOL, HUFFINGTON POST

Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.


iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
Posts: 4190
Joined: 2008-03-23
User is offlineOffline
then the title of this

then the title of this thread should have been, "THE NEW ATHEIST MOVEMENT breeds hatred." then i might have almost agreed with you, though not unqualifiably so. i am an atheist but i'm largely critical of so-called "new atheism."

"I have never felt comfortable around people who talk about their feelings for Jesus, or any other deity for that matter, because they are usually none too bright. . . . Or maybe 'stupid' is a better way of saying it; but I have never seen much point in getting heavy with either stupid people or Jesus freaks, just as long as they don't bother me. In a world as weird and cruel as this one we have made for ourselves, I figure anybody who can find peace and personal happiness without ripping off somebody else deserves to be left alone. They will not inherit the earth, but then neither will I. . . . And I have learned to live, as it were, with the idea that I will never find peace and happiness, either. But as long as I know there's a pretty good chance I can get my hands on either one of them every once in a while, I do the best I can between high spots."
--Hunter S. Thompson


JesusLovesYou
Theist
Posts: 474
Joined: 2006-12-09
User is offlineOffline
iwbiek wrote:then the title

iwbiek wrote:
then the title of this thread should have been, "THE NEW ATHEIST MOVEMENT breeds hatred." then i might have almost agreed with you, though not unqualifiably so. i am an atheist but i'm largely critical of so-called "new atheism."

says the atheist that is part of a atheist hate group

Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.


iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
Posts: 4190
Joined: 2008-03-23
User is offlineOffline
JesusLovesYou wrote:iwbiek

JesusLovesYou wrote:
iwbiek wrote:
then the title of this thread should have been, "THE NEW ATHEIST MOVEMENT breeds hatred." then i might have almost agreed with you, though not unqualifiably so. i am an atheist but i'm largely critical of so-called "new atheism."

says the atheist that is part of a atheist hate group




well, that's the last time i try to approach you coolly and rationally, you fucking twat...

"I have never felt comfortable around people who talk about their feelings for Jesus, or any other deity for that matter, because they are usually none too bright. . . . Or maybe 'stupid' is a better way of saying it; but I have never seen much point in getting heavy with either stupid people or Jesus freaks, just as long as they don't bother me. In a world as weird and cruel as this one we have made for ourselves, I figure anybody who can find peace and personal happiness without ripping off somebody else deserves to be left alone. They will not inherit the earth, but then neither will I. . . . And I have learned to live, as it were, with the idea that I will never find peace and happiness, either. But as long as I know there's a pretty good chance I can get my hands on either one of them every once in a while, I do the best I can between high spots."
--Hunter S. Thompson


Vastet
atheistBloggerHigh Level ModeratorSuperfan
Vastet's picture
Posts: 12893
Joined: 2006-12-25
User is offlineOffline
This asshole doesn't know

This asshole doesn't know the first thing about logic or rationality or anything else sane. He's always been a perfect example of the evil of theism.

Proud Canadian, Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.


iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
Posts: 4190
Joined: 2008-03-23
User is offlineOffline
i would also like to point

i would also like to point out, for the record, that my participation on these boards has never made me part of RRS. as far as i'm concerned, RRS was the founding members, who produced the radio shows, videos, etc., and maybe some affiliates like jake. i suppose those folks who used to put RRS badges in their avatar photos considered themselves members, i don't know, but i never considered myself one. i always came here for the stimulating discussions, not because i endorsed any program or mission statement or what have you.


it speaks volumes about the level of discourse on this site that, even though it is now basically a ghostship floating through cyberspace, i keep coming back because, frankly, i haven't found this level of discourse anywhere else (boy, have i tried).


plus, i still hold out a vague hope eloise might pop in for another random visit...

"I have never felt comfortable around people who talk about their feelings for Jesus, or any other deity for that matter, because they are usually none too bright. . . . Or maybe 'stupid' is a better way of saying it; but I have never seen much point in getting heavy with either stupid people or Jesus freaks, just as long as they don't bother me. In a world as weird and cruel as this one we have made for ourselves, I figure anybody who can find peace and personal happiness without ripping off somebody else deserves to be left alone. They will not inherit the earth, but then neither will I. . . . And I have learned to live, as it were, with the idea that I will never find peace and happiness, either. But as long as I know there's a pretty good chance I can get my hands on either one of them every once in a while, I do the best I can between high spots."
--Hunter S. Thompson


danatemporary
danatemporary's picture
Posts: 1951
Joined: 2011-01-12
User is offlineOffline
Funny thing that . . .

 

Quote:
. . it speaks volumes about the level of discourse on this site that, even though it is now basically a ghostship floating through cyberspace, i keep coming back because, frankly, i haven't found this level of discourse anywhere else (boy, have i tried).

 

   ↑  This is one of those rare opportunities to simply state, I first came to the board because after four failed attempts to talk about Mythology (on boards exclusively DEDICATED towards/to  the subject of mythology ONLINE), I ended up here, at this site.

 In some of the last few months, I have gotten away from that though. Now, These images admittedly playfully cryptic, on one level, have just now become an essential aspect of the healing process, with much more meaning than any over-due therapy.  Plus,  It helped to generate  as much  suspicious activities,  in posting, as  my aching  sides can muster ( h e  h e ).

 


   OFF-Site  get the FACTS before you Judge who will contaminate the rest of you, K?!!?!!

 

 

 

 

 



 



    Image is the Comment ::   Now, I have to acknowledge this Image or additional image  really should be posted in the "It Works For Me" Thread.  However,  Placing this here because Fonzie started to feel all alone and furthermore ganged up on . .

 

    

 

      

 

 

 

 





 


 




 

 


Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
Posts: 15462
Joined: 2006-02-14
User is offlineOffline
iwbiek wrote:then the title

iwbiek wrote:
then the title of this thread should have been, "THE NEW ATHEIST MOVEMENT breeds hatred." then i might have almost agreed with you, though not unqualifiably so. i am an atheist but i'm largely critical of so-called "new atheism."

Spoken by the fuckwad who has never read Stenger.

 

There is NOTHING new at all about skepticism or atheism. Epicuris all the way through history today dumbass. You just got pissy long ago because I didn't give buddhism a pass. 

This is what you fucking sound like.

Theist, "The New York Yankees beat the Panthers in Superbowl 50".

Me, "Um no dipshit, the Yankees play baseball".

 

Your human rights are not at stake you fucking idiot. But to suggest blasphemy is on par with religiously based oppression, bigotry and violence as is fucking bullshit. You not liking mY word choice is your fucking baggage, not mine.

Buddhism is a spin off of Hinduism, Buddhism is just as splintered as any other religion, and Asia has not been violence free either. Buddhists have their own superstitions and the oldest story of the first Buddha IS rooted in mythology and superstiton. 

 

You need to get it through your fucking skull that getting offended is not the same as getting violent. Humans have rights, but claims as ideas do not not deserve to set up taboos. That does not change the fact I still will protect your right to be a stupid fuck!

I don't give one fuck if you are the Pope, or Trump or a Rabbi or an Imam or Dawkins. NOBODY, not you not me, not one class not one political party not one religion should be free from criticism or blasphemy. Civility isn't about never getting offended or offending, civility is how common law keeps us from murdering each other and still allows us to bitch and blaspheme.

You are the part of the left I hate. You don't get to decide for me what is in my brain and falsely accuse me of bullshit I have no intent on doing. FUCK YOU!

I am not going to coddle your insecurities. I don't do that for anyone, not even my fellow atheists. My loyalty is to non violence, not to you not to any group outside common law. Your claims are still a separate issue. 

You are just a fucking crybaby. 

 

 

 

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under BrianJames Rational Poet also on twitter under Brianrrs37


Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
Posts: 15462
Joined: 2006-02-14
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote:This asshole

Vastet wrote:
This asshole doesn't know the first thing about logic or rationality or anything else sane. He's always been a perfect example of the evil of theism.

Oh so when you point out the dark side of religion, that's ok, but cant understand why Hitchens called religion poison. "the evil of theism" YOUR OWN FUCKING WORDS ASSHOLE!

I agree with you jackass!

Religion is a comic book reflection of human's desires and because of that false percetion people form groups and because those groups cant agree, even among the same labels, that "evil of theism" causes needless human divisions. 

AND AGAIN FUCKWAD, you don't call it "evil" or "poison" because you can get rid if it, you do it the same way you treat a car as a weapon, the same way you cant get rid of a volcano but it's stupid to ignore the ground rumbling before it errupts.

 

Those who accept absurdities can go on to commit attrocities. And the worst part of you childish crap since our falling out is you cant even see that WE are both atheists and neither of us is givng the other a pass, THAT IS HEALTHY!

We have both been raised in very open socities that value an open system and a free press and that is vital for BOTH you and me, and even theists.

 

It still boils down to rights and claims. Humans have rights, but claims as ideas do not deserve blind value. The right to make the claim, also includes the right for others to critize and even blaspheme that claim, FUCKWAD!

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under BrianJames Rational Poet also on twitter under Brianrrs37


iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
Posts: 4190
Joined: 2008-03-23
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:Spoken by the

Brian37 wrote:
Spoken by the fuckwad who has never read Stenger.



yeah, i've never read "the secret" either. i'm not into pseudo-intellectual, pandering garbage.

"I have never felt comfortable around people who talk about their feelings for Jesus, or any other deity for that matter, because they are usually none too bright. . . . Or maybe 'stupid' is a better way of saying it; but I have never seen much point in getting heavy with either stupid people or Jesus freaks, just as long as they don't bother me. In a world as weird and cruel as this one we have made for ourselves, I figure anybody who can find peace and personal happiness without ripping off somebody else deserves to be left alone. They will not inherit the earth, but then neither will I. . . . And I have learned to live, as it were, with the idea that I will never find peace and happiness, either. But as long as I know there's a pretty good chance I can get my hands on either one of them every once in a while, I do the best I can between high spots."
--Hunter S. Thompson


Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
Posts: 15462
Joined: 2006-02-14
User is offlineOffline
iwbiek wrote:Brian37

iwbiek wrote:
Brian37 wrote:
Spoken by the fuckwad who has never read Stenger.

yeah, i've never read "the secret" either. i'm not into pseudo-intellectual, pandering garbage.

He was  not a psuedo intellectual asshole, he had a SCIENCE DEGREE!

Once again dipshit this is how you sound,,

 

You, "Why are you so mean to people who believe the earth is flat"

Me, "LEARN THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN RIGHTS AND CLAIMS DUMBASS!"

Religion in all it's forums in all of human history are nothing more than human's projections of their own desires and insecurities. It is a evolutionary flaw based on GAP FILLING. I am sorry that bother's you but that is your fucking baggage, not mine and not the baggage of scientists or scientific meathod.

If our species never questioned social norms you wouldn't be typing your bullshit argument right now.

GET THIS THROUGH YOUR childish kneejerk brain. I CANT STOP YOU FROM BEING A DUMBASS! But I certainly am going to call religion what it is, a superfluous crutch, and one, when it is given taboos, has a very dark side. You challenge it and even blaspheme it, not to get rid of it, but to keep it on a leash and to work toward an attitude of more people being WILLING to consider they got it wrong.

If Galileo had been too scared to say anything we'd have no modern knowledge of science much less any form of space program.

Every single religion in the world pulls the same bullshit tactics. When they cant flat out debunk science, they try to co opt it to point to their religion. Our ability to make discoveries and invent things as a species IS NOT IN A HOLY BOOK OR IN A RELIGION, it is a result of our evolution.

 

Scientific method DOES NOT prop up the Bible or Quran or Torah OR Talmud or Hindu Vedas or Buddha. Scientific method is a tool, not a religion. It is completely religion independent. The only thing science can explain about why people make up god claims is because of our evolutionary notoriously flawed perceptions of reality, and because MOST humans sell that to kids before they can form adult reasoning skills, religion is harder to challenge and gets passed down generation after generation. INCLUDING BUDDHISM WHICH WAS ALSO STARTED WITHOUT MODERN KNOWLEDGE OF SCIENTIFIC METHOD.

THE UPSIDE is that we also evolved as a species TO QUESTION ideas and claims, and it is that ability that many of the horrible things humans used to justify in the name of religion we don't do as much, especially morso in the west. FUCKWADS like you want to coddle the insecurities of the religious and you do so out of some stupid fucking fear that any "BOO" said to religion is a call for force. 

"Bullshit" does not mean "I want you dead", it just means "NO FUCKWAD, THE YANKEES DID NOT WIN THE SUPERBOWL".

I am NOT telling you to go away, I am telling you to GROW THE FUCK UP!

 

 

 

 

 

 

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under BrianJames Rational Poet also on twitter under Brianrrs37


Vastet
atheistBloggerHigh Level ModeratorSuperfan
Vastet's picture
Posts: 12893
Joined: 2006-12-25
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:Oh so when you

Brian37 wrote:
Oh so when you point out the dark side of religion, that's ok, but cant understand why Hitchens called religion poison.

Time and time again Brian repeats this bullshit strawman in the irrational belief that this time it will be an effective counter-argument. But it never is, and Brian remains a lying shitstain that makes all theists look good in comparison.

Proud Canadian, Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.


iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
Posts: 4190
Joined: 2008-03-23
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:He was  not a

Brian37 wrote:
He was  not a psuedo intellectual asshole, he had a SCIENCE DEGREE!



exactly. a degree in physics, if i'm not mistaken. which made him just as qualified to talk about religion as the average man on the street, and less qualified than me. i'm not impressed.

"I have never felt comfortable around people who talk about their feelings for Jesus, or any other deity for that matter, because they are usually none too bright. . . . Or maybe 'stupid' is a better way of saying it; but I have never seen much point in getting heavy with either stupid people or Jesus freaks, just as long as they don't bother me. In a world as weird and cruel as this one we have made for ourselves, I figure anybody who can find peace and personal happiness without ripping off somebody else deserves to be left alone. They will not inherit the earth, but then neither will I. . . . And I have learned to live, as it were, with the idea that I will never find peace and happiness, either. But as long as I know there's a pretty good chance I can get my hands on either one of them every once in a while, I do the best I can between high spots."
--Hunter S. Thompson