Global Freezing

butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
User is offlineOffline
Global Freezing

Here's my stream of consciousness reaction.

Hey, marketwatch, wha'ya got for business news today? Whoa, what's this?

Global freezing

marketwatch wrote:
A ‘mini ice age’ is on the way by 2030, scientists say

marketwatch wrote:
European scientists warn that by 2030, a decade of winters with deep freezing temperatures could bring about a “mini ice age” the likes of which hasn’t been seen in 370 years.

*click*

Another news site? Sigh....

sciencedaily wrote:
Solar activity predicted to fall 60% in 2030s, to 'mini ice age' levels: Sun driven by double dynamo

This doesn't necessarily say that there's going to be an ice age? Only that solar activity will fall to 'mini ice age' levels? Wtf? Where's the source?

Oooohhhh, here.

sciencedaily wrote:
The above post is reprinted from materials provided by Royal Astronomical Society (RAS). Note: Materials may be edited for content and length.

*click*

Yay, finally an ostensibly legitimate scientific source.

Royal Astronomical Society wrote:
Looking ahead to the next solar cycles, the model predicts that the pair of waves become increasingly offset during Cycle 25, which peaks in 2022. During Cycle 26, which covers the decade from 2030-2040, the two waves will become exactly out of synch and this will cause a significant reduction in solar activity.

......which, doesn't explicitly say there's an impending ice age and one cycle is only 11 years long. So, it might be slightly colder for about 10 years than it would have been otherwise? It doesn't say.....sigh....marketwatch, please just stick to the stock market.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maunder_Minimum

Someone famous once said that any great lie has a little bit of truth in it. I think that applies here.

What other treasures you got for me?

marketwatch wrote:
Researchers at Northumbria University, led by Professor Valentina Zharkova, used mathematical models to predict solar activity will drop by 60% and trigger plunging temps around the world. The last time this happened was between 1645 and 1715,

Plunging? 

*click* *facepalm* Did you really just send me to sciencedaily again? 

Google time. Northumbria University? Valentina Zharkova? 

https://www.northumbria.ac.uk/about-us/our-staff/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northumbria_University

Hmmm, although she's a mathematics professor, everything looks legit. The media just doesn't understand their research. Shocker. 

marketwatch wrote:
Sound familiar?

Yes, actually. This is not the first time I've heard this garbage.

marketwatch wrote:
Former NASA consultant and space shuttle engineer John Casey has been known to voice similar concerns. In fact, he wrote a book called “Dark Winter” in which he warns of crop failures and food riots.

Oohh, sounds hardcore. Google time. 

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dark-Winter-Causing-30-Year-Spell/dp/1630060356

Hah, 3 star rating. Loser.

Who the hell is this guy? He's former NASA consultant AND white house advisor, but google and Wikipedia searches turn up nothing except shitty news sites? Newsmax? Sott? Really now. Uh.....????

http://spaceandscience.net/

Lmfao! Ahahahaha. Omg, this is so much fail. Even the layout just screams "this is a shit website."

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, | As I foretold you, were all spirits, and | Are melted into air, into thin air; | And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, | The cloud-capped towers, the gorgeous palaces, | The solemn temples, the great globe itself, - Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve, | And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, | Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff | As dreams are made on, and our little life | Is rounded with a sleep. - Shakespeare

butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
User is offlineOffline
Download your own copy of

Download your own copy of the Global Climate Status Report, proving catastrophic global cooling, for only $8.95!

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, | As I foretold you, were all spirits, and | Are melted into air, into thin air; | And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, | The cloud-capped towers, the gorgeous palaces, | The solemn temples, the great globe itself, - Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve, | And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, | Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff | As dreams are made on, and our little life | Is rounded with a sleep. - Shakespeare

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Yeah I read about it on

Yeah I read about it on Science Daily a couple days ago. It did mention that the last time it happened was during the mini iceage, but it said nothing about dropping temperatures. Just because the sun is going to be a little less active doesn't mean the world is going to freeze.

But fuck I wish it would. I want snow all year round.

At any rate, this is completely predictable, and if it had that much impact on the Earth we'd have already known about it. We might not have known the cause, but we'd certainly see evidence of cooling and heating in 370 year cycles. I don't recall any massive heat waves being recorded in ~1850-1860ish when the sun was at maximum activity. In fsct, I did a quick search. England & Wales recorded their 4th coldest summer in 1860. Considering how far back recorded temperatures go in the UK, that's pretty impressive for a solar maximum. At least, it is if you believe the suns magnetic field has a significant impact on Earth temperatures.

http://www.ukweatherworld.co.uk/forum/index.php?/topic/56744-1860-a-cold-year/

Won't be likely to see any Northern Lights for awhile, that's going to be the most significant impact of this.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

EXC
atheist
EXC's picture
User is offlineOffline
If a scientist came out and

If a scientist came out and said "I don't know" on subject he is supposed to be an expert, could he hold is job or would anyone hire him? So they have to advance a theory of either global warming or global cooling, but not a theory of 'its too complex with to many unknowns to conclude anything'. There can't be objective science as long as scientists have bills to pay and families to feed.

Taxation is the price we pay for failing to build a civilized society. The higher the tax level, the greater the failure. A centrally planned totalitarian state represents a complete defeat for the civilized world, while a totally voluntary society represents its ultimate success. --Mark Skousen

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
EXC wrote:If a scientist

EXC wrote:
If a scientist came out and said "I don't know" on subject he is supposed to be an expert, could he hold is job or would anyone hire him? So they have to advance a theory of either global warming or global cooling, but not a theory of 'its too complex with to many unknowns to conclude anything'. There can't be objective science as long as scientists have bills to pay and families to feed.

^ Doesn't know anything about science and doesn't appreciate it was the media, not scientists, who pulled this global cooling bullshit out of their asses; because they know nothing about science either.

EXC
atheist
EXC's picture
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote:  ^ Doesn't

Vastet wrote:

^ Doesn't know anything about science and doesn't appreciate it was the media, not scientists, who pulled this global cooling bullshit out of their asses; because they know nothing about science either.

To you, 'objective' science or media must advance your political agenda(more free stuff for you, more taxes and less freedom for me).

Taxation is the price we pay for failing to build a civilized society. The higher the tax level, the greater the failure. A centrally planned totalitarian state represents a complete defeat for the civilized world, while a totally voluntary society represents its ultimate success. --Mark Skousen

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
EXC wrote:Vastet wrote:  ^

EXC wrote:

Vastet wrote:

To you, 'objective' science or media must advance your political agenda(more free stuff for you, more taxes and less freedom for me).

^ When someone who can't argue against fact and logic loses an argument, they pull out bullshit strawmen from their ass and hope for the best. But everyone can smell it from lightyears away.