RobbyPants's picture
User is offlineOffline

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
digitalbeachbum wrote:I

digitalbeachbum wrote:

I don't care what was written it was about gays.

Whether you care or not, what was written by the majority is the only thing that matters. That is what dictates case law, everything else is at most an interesting footnote.

If, if a white man puts his arm around me voluntarily, that's brotherhood. But if you - if you hold a gun on him and make him embrace me and pretend to be friendly or brotherly toward me, then that's not brotherhood, that's hypocrisy.- Malcolm X

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
digitalbeachbum wrote:iwbiek

digitalbeachbum wrote:

iwbiek wrote:
so, to sum up, you believe that for zoosexual marriage to be justifiably recognized by the government as legal, then zoophilia should be proved to be a genetically inherited sexual orientation?

Animals also don't know the meaning of the act of marriage. They can't say that they want the marriage. They can't say 'i do'. They can't sign the marriage certificate.

I believe that plural marriages and marrying animals is the same issue. It's people with mental disorders. However I'm pro-plural but anti-zoo/beast 

So in other words you have no problem with it as long as an animal can consent. Surprise! Some can. Whether or not they would is an interesting question.

And you're absolutely clueless on mental disorders, I'm glad you aren't a psychologist or psychiatrist. It'd be a travesty of the education system to have someone as ignorant as you make it through school.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

zarathustra
atheist
zarathustra's picture
User is offlineOffline
Exactly why is the

Exactly why is the government in the marriage business in the first place?  What is the point of the government formally acknowledging a relationship between two (and only two) people, with all the attendant privileges and responsibilites; priviliges and responsibilites up until now withheld from people in same sex relationships, and now still people who choose to conduct a relationship with more than one person?

There are no theists on operating tables.

πππ†
π†††

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
digitalbeachbum

digitalbeachbum wrote:

Animals also don't know the meaning of the act of marriage. They can't say that they want the marriage. They can't say 'i do'. They can't sign the marriage certificate.

and? in a society that allows for systematic mass slaughter of animals for consumption, "protecting" them by not allowing people to marry them or fuck them is a weird distinction to make.

digital wrote:
I believe that plural marriages and marrying animals is the same issue. It's people with mental disorders.

whaaat??? so people who are polyamorous or desire to engage in polygamy are...mentally ill? and you're basing that on what? so most saudis or ugandans are mentally ill? you do know that mental disorders are nine times out of ten social rather than medical problems, right? if in a society polygamy is the norm, then, in that society, by definition polyamory per se cannot be a mental disorder because it is not an aberrative behavior. we consider polygamy or polyamory "sick" because it is not "normal" in our society. period. same with zoophilia. and, as vastet pointed out, same with homosexuality until comparatively recently.

"I have never felt comfortable around people who talk about their feelings for Jesus, or any other deity for that matter, because they are usually none too bright. . . . Or maybe 'stupid' is a better way of saying it; but I have never seen much point in getting heavy with either stupid people or Jesus freaks, just as long as they don't bother me. In a world as weird and cruel as this one we have made for ourselves, I figure anybody who can find peace and personal happiness without ripping off somebody else deserves to be left alone. They will not inherit the earth, but then neither will I. . . . And I have learned to live, as it were, with the idea that I will never find peace and happiness, either. But as long as I know there's a pretty good chance I can get my hands on either one of them every once in a while, I do the best I can between high spots."
--Hunter S. Thompson

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Much as I'd love to take

Much as I'd love to take credit I believe that particular one was from Beyond. I do agree completely though.

To this day there has NEVER been an objective study on sexuality throughout our species. Making any claim that any sexual behaviour is indicative of mental illness is, at best, literally stupid and wrong. At worst it's a bald faced lie.

Doesn't matter if you fuck dolls, horses, pillows, children, groups of people, vegetables, nothing at all, or just one single consenting adult of the opposite gender. There is absolutely no evidence to say any of it is a sign of mental illness.

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
digitalbeachbum's picture
User is offlineOffline
iwbiek wrote: like vastet,

iwbiek wrote:

like vastet, i'm highly suspicious of the scientificity of psychology. having said that, i don't think any mainstream psychologist, psychotherapist, sexual therapist, etc., talks about sexual orientation in either/or terms anymore. rather, it's a question of degrees. almost any honest male who identifies as heterosexual will admit to having had at least some homoerotic thoughts during his life, unless he's saddled with macho insecurities (in which case, he's probably had MORE than some).

my point is, i believe we're all somewhere on a spectrum. i don't know where i am, nor do i care. i think there might be people who are 100% repulsed by the same sex and 100% attracted by the opposite sex, and vice-versa, or completely 50/50, but they're probably the exception rather than the rule. even most of the people i know in the bi community talk about having male or female "leans." then there is of course the modern designation "pansexual." in the end, i don't think it matters if it's a choice or not. i don't think it matters if it's genetics or environment or a mix. i don't think it matters at all.

I've never had a thought like that but that's just me.

I'm in agreement with your opinion of mainsteam psychologists but the terms and definitions are what they are as I used them.

I agree witht he spectrum of all people. Some are a 1, some a 49, some 100 and every where inbetween. We are all different, similar and the same on a variety of different levels.

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote:digitalbeachbum

Vastet wrote:
digitalbeachbum wrote:

iwbiek wrote:
so, to sum up, you believe that for zoosexual marriage to be justifiably recognized by the government as legal, then zoophilia should be proved to be a genetically inherited sexual orientation?

I believe that plural marriages and marrying animals is the same issue. It's people with mental disorders. However I'm pro-plural but anti-zoo/beast 

So in other words you have no problem with it as long as an animal can consent. Surprise! Some can. Whether or not they would is an interesting question. And you're absolutely clueless on mental disorders, I'm glad you aren't a psychologist or psychiatrist. It'd be a travesty of the education system to have someone as ignorant as you make it through school.

Nope. There are a variety of different issues with marrying animals. You stated yourself that they are a property and you aren't allowed to marry property. The law is what it is and thankfully this part of it is correct.

I'm totally clueless to your mental disorder and thankfully I'm not your doc because I'd just pump you full of pills and then through you in the looney bin.

LMAO. You are the most ignorant person I... no.. Brian is the most ignorant person.. wait.. Jean.... Jean is the most ignorant person I've interacted with on this forum.

I've got a college degree which cost me a lot of money and did nothing for me in getting a job or making my life better.

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
User is offlineOffline
iwbiek wrote:digitalbeachbum

iwbiek wrote:
digitalbeachbum wrote:

and? in a society that allows for systematic mass slaughter of animals for consumption, "protecting" them by not allowing people to marry them or fuck them is a weird distinction to make.
digital wrote:
I believe that plural marriages and marrying animals is the same issue. It's people with mental disorders.

whaaat??? so people who are polyamorous or desire to engage in polygamy are...mentally ill? and you're basing that on what? so most saudis or ugandans are mentally ill? you do know that mental disorders are nine times out of ten social rather than medical problems, right? if in a society polygamy is the norm, then, in that society, by definition polyamory per se cannot be a mental disorder because it is not an aberrative behavior. we consider polygamy or polyamory "sick" because it is not "normal" in our society. period. same with zoophilia. and, as vastet pointed out, same with homosexuality until comparatively recently.

Animals do not want to marry people. People want to marry animals.

Yeah, I think it is mental to want to have plural wives.

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote: just one

Vastet wrote:
just one single consenting adult of the opposite gender.

My point about animals... they aren't consenting...

And who cares if you fuck an inanimate object, dildo, doll, sock or apple pie. We are talking about animals, same sex and plurals.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
digitalbeachbum

digitalbeachbum wrote:
Nope.

Wrong.

digitalbeachbum wrote:
There are a variety of different issues with marrying animals.

You really are turning into Brian. This is a strawman.

digitalbeachbum wrote:
You stated yourself that they are a property and you aren't allowed to marry property. The law is what it is and thankfully this part of it is correct.

All of which is completely irrelevant to my post on mental illness that you quoted. I'm going to start calling you Brian now.

Brian#2 wrote:
I'm totally clueless to your mental disorder and thankfully I'm not your doc because I'd just pump you full of pills and then through you in the looney bin.

You're the one with a mental disorder. Go see a doctor and get some meds. I'm perfectly healthy.

Brian#2 wrote:
LMAO. You are the most ignorant person I... no.. Brian is the most ignorant person.. wait.. Jean.... Jean is the most ignorant person I've interacted with on this forum.

You are rapidly approaching levels of ignorance that even Jean can't match.

Brian#2 wrote:
I've got a college degree which cost me a lot of money and did nothing for me in getting a job or making my life better.

You should get a refund. I passed psychology and criminal psychology in college one person behind the top of the class, and I can say with absolute certainty that you don't know shit about the subject.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brian#2 wrote:Vastet

Brian#2 wrote:

Vastet wrote:
just one single consenting adult of the opposite gender.

My point about animals... they aren't consenting...

And who cares if you fuck an inanimate object, dildo, doll, sock or apple pie. We are talking about animals, same sex and plurals.

No moron, we're talking about mental illness and what qualifies as mental illness. You brought it up, and I ridiculed your blatant ignorance.

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
digitalbeachbum

digitalbeachbum wrote:

Animals do not want to marry people. People want to marry animals.

Yeah, I think it is mental to want to have plural wives.

so, IOW, your "diagnosis" is based purely on your own emotions.

"I have never felt comfortable around people who talk about their feelings for Jesus, or any other deity for that matter, because they are usually none too bright. . . . Or maybe 'stupid' is a better way of saying it; but I have never seen much point in getting heavy with either stupid people or Jesus freaks, just as long as they don't bother me. In a world as weird and cruel as this one we have made for ourselves, I figure anybody who can find peace and personal happiness without ripping off somebody else deserves to be left alone. They will not inherit the earth, but then neither will I. . . . And I have learned to live, as it were, with the idea that I will never find peace and happiness, either. But as long as I know there's a pretty good chance I can get my hands on either one of them every once in a while, I do the best I can between high spots."
--Hunter S. Thompson

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote: So in other

Vastet wrote:
 So in other words you have no problem with it as long as an animal can consent. Surprise! Some can.

The interesting question is whether consent would even be necessary, after all, animals are property and do not have legal personhood so their consent or lack thereof is irrelevant. Nobody asks if the dog from the pound consents to go home with the new family. So really, I don't see why there would be a legal difference between marrying an animal or an inanimate object like your tv, aside from potentially running afoul of animal cruelty laws. I think the argument against it legally would be that the marriage wouldn't confer any actual financial benefits like marriage currently does. Thus, the government has a compelling interest in avoiding the expense and burden of recognizing the marriage and maintaining the records of a marriage that doesn't otherwise have any legal benefits- after all, there would no doubt be hoarders who would marry everything they own. That argument I think is actually pretty strong and eliminates all non-human marriages.  

But as far as human marriages, I don't see how you can follow the recent court decision and not conclude that poly marriages, incestuous marriages or any other marriage involving consenting adults is a right.

If, if a white man puts his arm around me voluntarily, that's brotherhood. But if you - if you hold a gun on him and make him embrace me and pretend to be friendly or brotherly toward me, then that's not brotherhood, that's hypocrisy.- Malcolm X

Jabberwocky
atheist
User is offlineOffline
digitalbeachbum

digitalbeachbum wrote:

Nothing is a choice even though it seems like you are making one.

Pretty much. I both agree and disagree with this. The latter only as much as I don't accept dualism, so "I do what I want" and "My brain does what it wants" are concepts that are identical and inseperable. Really, anyone who has ever had 4 drinks, done any drug that affects your brain (be it prescription or illegal) should realize this. 

Before I had done any of the above, my idea of what it really was to be drunk was completely different than it really was. I thought your free will just gives way. But it doesn't. Your brain is different, and you make different decisions because your input (your senses) are affected, and the way your brain makes its decisions are different as well. Once you realize this, you realize that the concept of free will as traditionally talked about by theists is absolute bull-shit. 

Theists - If your god is omnipotent, remember the following: He (or she) has the cure for cancer, but won't tell us what it is.

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
User is offlineOffline
Jabberwocky

Jabberwocky wrote:

digitalbeachbum wrote:

Nothing is a choice even though it seems like you are making one.

Pretty much. I both agree and disagree with this. The latter only as much as I don't accept dualism, so "I do what I want" and "My brain does what it wants" are concepts that are identical and inseperable. Really, anyone who has ever had 4 drinks, done any drug that affects your brain (be it prescription or illegal) should realize this. 

Before I had done any of the above, my idea of what it really was to be drunk was completely different than it really was. I thought your free will just gives way. But it doesn't. Your brain is different, and you make different decisions because your input (your senses) are affected, and the way your brain makes its decisions are different as well. Once you realize this, you realize that the concept of free will as traditionally talked about by theists is absolute bull-shit. 

I'm confused by the drinking part of your comments.

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
User is offlineOffline
Beyond Saving wrote:Vastet

Beyond Saving wrote:

Vastet wrote:
 So in other words you have no problem with it as long as an animal can consent. Surprise! Some can.

The interesting question is whether consent would even be necessary, after all, animals are property and do not have legal personhood so their consent or lack thereof is irrelevant. Nobody asks if the dog from the pound consents to go home with the new family. So really, I don't see why there would be a legal difference between 

Then it isn't marriage and there is no need for discussing a person marrying a dog. The person can just fuck the dog and do it in the privacy of their home. If they get caught then they can be punished by society.

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
i don't see why a person is

i don't see why a person is legally barred from marrying property. is there actually a federal law in this case? precedent? i mean, it wasn't all THAT long ago that a wife was basically property, even in the US. it seems like another arbitrary line thusfar to me.

--Hunter S. Thompson

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
I'd bet there weren't any

I'd bet there weren't any tax breaks for being married when women were basically property though. Largely because there wasn't much in the way of taxes. Certainly not in comparison to today.
The rreal legal problem with marrying property today would be the tax breaks you received. Every single person in the country who has to pay taxes would line up to get married with property if it were legal.

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
are the tax breaks really

are the tax breaks really THAT fucking great in the US? i mean, for a person who can't afford to hire a CPA? i know they aren't all that great in slovakia.

--Hunter S. Thompson

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Well we'll have to wait for

Well we'll have to wait for Beyond because the US system is pretty different, but in Canada you can do all kinds of combinations with a spouse that aren't possible single. You can put some of your income on your spouses return, put all the credits for medical and dental towards the partner that had the most income, and a whole lot more besides. If you had a single mom (or dad, but lets face it it's usually a mom) with a bunch of medical and dental bills but without enough income to warrant a certain level of taxes, all the credits are wasted. But if she's married to a guy with lots of income, he can use those credits against his own return.
A marriage can save thousands of dollars on taxes when you're married and you know what you're doing.

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
 If a person makes say

If a person makes say $60,000 post deductions they would fall in the 15% tax bracket if they are married, so $9000. That same person, if they got divorced would be in the 25% tax bracket, $15,000. So yeah, it can make a pretty big difference. 

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
yeah, slovakia has the flat

yeah, slovakia has the flat 20%, with a minimum taxable income (can't remember what it is but i've never hit it). if there are tax advantages to being married here, they must only be for the moderately wealthy at least.

--Hunter S. Thompson