The Catholic Church weighs in on climate change

Vastet
atheistBloggerHigh Level ModeratorSuperfan
Vastet's picture
Posts: 13098
Joined: 2006-12-25
User is offlineOffline
The Catholic Church weighs in on climate change

Like 'em or hate 'em (most likely leaning towards hate), it's always nice to see religions catch up to reality.

Vatican: climate change is man-made and must be addressed
28 April 2015 16:43 by Liz Dodd
The Vatican has called the fight against climate change “a moral and religious imperative”.
In a Final Declaration issued at the end of a one-day symposium on the environment organised by the Pontifical Academy of Sciences on Tuesday, delegates, who included religious and political leaders, said that human-induced climate change was a “scientific reality”.

http://www.thetablet.co.uk/news/2010/0/vatican-climate-change-is-man-made-and-must-be-addressed

Proud Canadian, Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.


digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
digitalbeachbum's picture
Posts: 4898
Joined: 2007-10-15
User is offlineOffline
 lol well, yeah, I mean

 lol well, yeah, I mean they learned their lesson about the earth not being the center of the universe huh?


Vastet
atheistBloggerHigh Level ModeratorSuperfan
Vastet's picture
Posts: 13098
Joined: 2006-12-25
User is offlineOffline
Technically speaking, one

Technically speaking, one might actually be forced to agree with the idea the Earth is the centre of the universe; providing you define it by our observations as opposed to an actual and literal centre.

Proud Canadian, Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.


Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
Posts: 15621
Joined: 2006-02-14
User is offlineOffline
 PR crap, religion always

 PR crap, religion always has to be drug kicking and screaming into the future. The Calolic Leauge here in the states is uber right wing. All that protection of kiddy fiddlers, and how long did it take the Vatican to say they were sorry about Galileo. How much time did they spend telling people not to use condoms? And said one thing to western gays while telling Asian countries they need to protect traditional Marriage?

Oh and basically said you deserved to be punched if you pick on religion after Hebdo.

 

The oblisk in St Peter's Square was taken from Egypt by tyrant Caligula who brought it to Rome as a monument to himself. 

 

He's only doing this because he knows which way the wind is blowing and he wants his religion to stay relevant. But this is what all religions do, they don't survive through anything but marketing. 

Here it comes, "You want to force religion out of existence". Nope, but it is poison for the reasons stated above. 

 

 

 

 

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under BrianJames Rational Poet also on twitter under Brianrrs37


Vastet
atheistBloggerHigh Level ModeratorSuperfan
Vastet's picture
Posts: 13098
Joined: 2006-12-25
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:PR crap Brian

Brian37 wrote:
PR crap

Brian doesn't know what PR means or how it works. In fact, the church is likely to get a lot of flak over this.

Brian37 wrote:
religion always has to be drug kicking and screaming into the future.

At least the church can be dragged into the present. That's more than can be said for Brian.

Brian37 wrote:
The Calolic Leauge here in the states is uber right wing.

Which is precisely why this cannot be a PR move.

Brian37 wrote:
All that protection of kiddy fiddlers, and how long did it take the Vatican to say they were sorry about Galileo. How much time did they spend telling people not to use condoms? And said one thing to western gays while telling Asian countries they need to protect traditional Marriage?

Brian posts red herrings. True, but irrelevant to the topic.

Brian37 wrote:
Oh and basically said you deserved to be punched if you pick on religion after Hebdo.

Brian deserves to be shot in the balls so he can never pass on his genes.

Brian37 wrote:
The oblisk in St Peter's Square was taken from Egypt by tyrant Caligula who brought it to Rome as a monument to himself. 

Red herring. Probably false too.

Brian37 wrote:
He's only doing this because he knows which way the wind is blowing and he wants his religion to stay relevant. But this is what all religions do, they don't survive through anything but marketing. 

That still makes him better than Brian.

Brian37 wrote:
Here it comes, "You want to force religion out of existence". Nope, but it is poison for the reasons stated above. 

Brian lies and again demonstrates his inability to comprehend English.

Proud Canadian, Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.


digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
digitalbeachbum's picture
Posts: 4898
Joined: 2007-10-15
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote:Technically

Vastet wrote:
Technically speaking, one might actually be forced to agree with the idea the Earth is the centre of the universe; providing you define it by our observations as opposed to an actual and literal centre.

I believe their point of view was based on that every thing orbited the earth rather than from a point of view of the observer. So technically the earth does not have the mass to have every thing else orbit it.


Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
Posts: 5409
Joined: 2007-10-12
User is offlineOffline
It must be history day, time to consult the library.

Vastet wrote:
Brian37 wrote:
The oblisk in St Peter's Square was taken from Egypt by tyrant Caligula who brought it to Rome as a monument to himself. 
Red herring. Probably false too.
 

And the answer is:

Partially true. The obelisk was originally in Heliopolis and it was moved to Alexandria by Augustus. During the 1st century, Caligula had the obelisk brought to Rome and placed in the "Circus of Nero", a place that would later be used to torture and kill Christians for the amusement of the crowd. I don't know what Caligula's motivations were or if there is any record of his intent. He certainly liked to build a lot of things for himself, but also was mindful of building things for the plebians. as a center for sports, the Circus is probably comparable to Jerry Jones building his stadium- certainly a lot of personal ego, but also a place popular with general public.

It wasn't uncommon for Roman leaders to bring all sorts of exotics from around the world and put them on display for the crowds. Partly for their own glory and partly to please and entertain the public- a happy entertained public is peaceful. It wasn't moved to its current site for well over 1000 years. 

Whatever Caligula's motivations were, it is almost certain that he saved the obelisk. Virtually everything in Alexandria was destroyed when it was sacked less than 100 years later.

Although, I'm not sure exactly what point Brian was attempting to make, Caligua certainly wasn't religious and treated the Jews in Egypt with a special disdain, demanding at one point that they erect a statue of HIM in their temples. Since the rest of his post is ripping the church, I don't see how a random swipe at Caligua is related. Certainly nobody in the Vatican has ever sung the praises of Caligua. 

If, if a white man puts his arm around me voluntarily, that's brotherhood. But if you - if you hold a gun on him and make him embrace me and pretend to be friendly or brotherly toward me, then that's not brotherhood, that's hypocrisy.- Malcolm X


Vastet
atheistBloggerHigh Level ModeratorSuperfan
Vastet's picture
Posts: 13098
Joined: 2006-12-25
User is offlineOffline
Interesting. I've always

Interesting. I've always been fascinated at the fact that truly despicable people almost always accomplish something worth thanking them for.

Proud Canadian, Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.


iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
Posts: 4196
Joined: 2008-03-23
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:religion

Brian37 wrote:
religion always has to be drug kicking and screaming into the future.



yeah, which is why asia is lagging so far behind in both science and technology. we all know hindus and buddhists have rejected evolution and modern cosmology in droves...

"I have never felt comfortable around people who talk about their feelings for Jesus, or any other deity for that matter, because they are usually none too bright. . . . Or maybe 'stupid' is a better way of saying it; but I have never seen much point in getting heavy with either stupid people or Jesus freaks, just as long as they don't bother me. In a world as weird and cruel as this one we have made for ourselves, I figure anybody who can find peace and personal happiness without ripping off somebody else deserves to be left alone. They will not inherit the earth, but then neither will I. . . . And I have learned to live, as it were, with the idea that I will never find peace and happiness, either. But as long as I know there's a pretty good chance I can get my hands on either one of them every once in a while, I do the best I can between high spots."
--Hunter S. Thompson


Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
Posts: 15621
Joined: 2006-02-14
User is offlineOffline
iwbiek wrote:Brian37

iwbiek wrote:
Brian37 wrote:
religion always has to be drug kicking and screaming into the future.

yeah, which is why asia is lagging so far behind in both science and technology. we all know hindus and buddhists have rejected evolution and modern cosmology in droves...

Oh fuck off . It is a gatekeeper fallacy. If you fucking watched the entire Cosmos series with Neil Degress Tyson or bothered to read "The New Athesim" you'd know how fucking stupid you sound.

Humans evolved to seek patterns, the religion isn't causing that our evolution is you fuckwad. We used rocks and sticks as tools long before anyone was praying to a fat guy.

The west isn't lagging behind becuase Buddhism is the one valid religion, it is lagging behind because we have a stupd GOP running our country.

"Look at what we did" is an arugment I see from all religions. Muslims claim algibra proves their religion. Jews point to their accomplisment as evidence too. Hindus do it too. 

HUMANS are doing it. If science required religion to invent things then one should expect there be only one religion. Religions are placebos having NOTHING to do with the NEUTRAL tool of scientific method. 

GROW THE FUCK UP!

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under BrianJames Rational Poet also on twitter under Brianrrs37


iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
Posts: 4196
Joined: 2008-03-23
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:Hindus do it

Brian37 wrote:
Hindus do it too.



no, they don't, because "hindus" don't believe they have the only right religion, and if you decided you wanted to become a hindu, 99% of them would tell you, "sorry, that's impossible."


you literally don't know anything about hinduism. like, nothing, not even square one. it's really obvious. so why do you act like you do?

"I have never felt comfortable around people who talk about their feelings for Jesus, or any other deity for that matter, because they are usually none too bright. . . . Or maybe 'stupid' is a better way of saying it; but I have never seen much point in getting heavy with either stupid people or Jesus freaks, just as long as they don't bother me. In a world as weird and cruel as this one we have made for ourselves, I figure anybody who can find peace and personal happiness without ripping off somebody else deserves to be left alone. They will not inherit the earth, but then neither will I. . . . And I have learned to live, as it were, with the idea that I will never find peace and happiness, either. But as long as I know there's a pretty good chance I can get my hands on either one of them every once in a while, I do the best I can between high spots."
--Hunter S. Thompson


Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
Posts: 15621
Joined: 2006-02-14
User is offlineOffline
 NO FUCKWAD,  now here is

 NO FUCKWAD,  now here is a google search of videos of MONKEYS using tools. THAT is where our ability to invent things come from EVOLUTION.

Region is a flaw in our species perceptions. Religion is an outcome caused by false perceptions. GROW THE FUCK UP. Religion is nothing but a fucking placebo!

 

 

 

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=Monkeys+using+tools+youtube

PICK ONE ANY ONE!

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under BrianJames Rational Poet also on twitter under Brianrrs37


Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
Posts: 15621
Joined: 2006-02-14
User is offlineOffline
https://www.youtube.com/watch

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under BrianJames Rational Poet also on twitter under Brianrrs37


Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
Posts: 15621
Joined: 2006-02-14
User is offlineOffline
https://www.youtube.com/watch

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under BrianJames Rational Poet also on twitter under Brianrrs37


Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
Posts: 15621
Joined: 2006-02-14
User is offlineOffline
https://www.youtube.com/watch

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under BrianJames Rational Poet also on twitter under Brianrrs37


Vastet
atheistBloggerHigh Level ModeratorSuperfan
Vastet's picture
Posts: 13098
Joined: 2006-12-25
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:it is a

Brian37 wrote:
it is a gatekeeper fallacy.

Brian starts making up fallacies.

Brian37 wrote:
If you fucking watched the entire Cosmos series with Neil Degress Tyson or bothered to read "The New Athesim" you'd know how fucking stupid you sound.

If Brian were as smart as those of us who don't have a use for such dumbed down material he'd know how stupid he sounds.

Brian37 wrote:
Humans evolved to seek patterns, the religion isn't causing that our evolution is you fuckwad. We used rocks and sticks as tools long before anyone was praying to a fat guy.

Brian makes shit up. In fact, superstitious behaviour has been observed in species that don't use tools and have only limited forms of communication. It is quite likely that man believed in gods for millions of years before he fashioned his first tool.

Brian37 wrote:
The west isn't lagging behind becuase Buddhism is the one valid religion, it is lagging behind because we have a stupd GOP running our country.

Brian fails to understand which party is in office at the moment.

Brian37 wrote:
"Look at what we did" is an arugment I see from all religions. Muslims claim algibra proves their religion. Jews point to their accomplisment as evidence too. Hindus do it too. 

Brian makes shit up.

Brian37 wrote:
HUMANS are doing it. If science required religion to invent things then one should expect there be only one religion.

Brian fails at logic.

Brian37 wrote:
Religions are placebos having NOTHING to do with the NEUTRAL tool of scientific method. 

Brian makes shit up.

Brian37 wrote:
GROW THE FUCK UP!

Brian should take his own advice.

Brian37 wrote:
NO FUCKWAD,  now here is a google search of videos of MONKEYS using tools. THAT is where our ability to invent things come from EVOLUTION.

Brian can't help but drop the standard strawman/red herring combo.

Brian37 wrote:
Region is a flaw in our species perceptions. Religion is an outcome caused by false perceptions. GROW THE FUCK UP. Religion is nothing but a fucking placebo!

Brian makes shit up.

Proud Canadian, Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.


iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
Posts: 4196
Joined: 2008-03-23
User is offlineOffline
brian, why don't you answer

brian, why don't you answer my question? why do you act like you know anything about hinduism? you don't. nada. are you so afraid of admitting your ignorance?

"I have never felt comfortable around people who talk about their feelings for Jesus, or any other deity for that matter, because they are usually none too bright. . . . Or maybe 'stupid' is a better way of saying it; but I have never seen much point in getting heavy with either stupid people or Jesus freaks, just as long as they don't bother me. In a world as weird and cruel as this one we have made for ourselves, I figure anybody who can find peace and personal happiness without ripping off somebody else deserves to be left alone. They will not inherit the earth, but then neither will I. . . . And I have learned to live, as it were, with the idea that I will never find peace and happiness, either. But as long as I know there's a pretty good chance I can get my hands on either one of them every once in a while, I do the best I can between high spots."
--Hunter S. Thompson


Old Seer
Theist
Posts: 1520
Joined: 2011-11-12
User is offlineOffline
Pontifical Academy of Sciences ????? Wut da ??

Not hardly. (Sorry to have gone off topic here but---haey)


Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
Posts: 15621
Joined: 2006-02-14
User is offlineOffline
iwbiek wrote:Brian37

iwbiek wrote:
Brian37 wrote:
Hindus do it too.

no, they don't, because "hindus" don't believe they have the only right religion, and if you decided you wanted to become a hindu, 99% of them would tell you, "sorry, that's impossible."
you literally don't know anything about hinduism. like, nothing, not even square one. it's really obvious. so why do you act like you do?

 

Every liberal of every religion pulls that, "We are inclusive" argument . 

The common version I get from Christians is "It is just god speaking in different languages".

 

How about reality? All religions are human invented, and our empathy is where that is really coming from, and not not clubs or books invented in antiquity when we didn't have modern knowledge? 

I've seen that argument from a variety of lables over the years.

Read " The New Atheism " by Victor Stenger.

I don't doubt you can find stories of compassion and inclusion in all religions. I do doubt most humans understand they are doing it, not the club or a book.

 

 

 

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under BrianJames Rational Poet also on twitter under Brianrrs37


iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
Posts: 4196
Joined: 2008-03-23
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:iwbiek

Brian37 wrote:

iwbiek wrote:
Brian37 wrote:
Hindus do it too.

no, they don't, because "hindus" don't believe they have the only right religion, and if you decided you wanted to become a hindu, 99% of them would tell you, "sorry, that's impossible."
you literally don't know anything about hinduism. like, nothing, not even square one. it's really obvious. so why do you act like you do?

 

Every liberal of every religion pulls that, "We are inclusive" argument . 

The common version I get from Christians is "It is just god speaking in different languages".

 

How about reality? All religions are human invented, and our empathy is where that is really coming from, and not not clubs or books invented in antiquity when we didn't have modern knowledge? 

I've seen that argument from a variety of lables over the years.

Read " The New Atheism " by Victor Stenger.

I don't doubt you can find stories of compassion and inclusion in all religions. I do doubt most humans understand they are doing it, not the club or a book.

 

 

 




how about you fuck off with your anecdotes, your non sequiturs, and your outright naked assertions, and show me hard, statistical evidence, or textual evidence, or ethnographical evidence, that inclusive hinduism is the hinduism of the "liberal" minority? if you want to talk hinduism, talk hinduism, don't start with "all religions." logic deals in specifics, not sweeping generalizations. if you can't talk hinduism (and i know you can't), then just stop fucking making assertions about it. i don't come on here making assertions about astrophysics, because i know fuck all about it. you know fuck all about hinduism, so stop acting like you don't. or at least stop trying to pass yourself off as logical.

"I have never felt comfortable around people who talk about their feelings for Jesus, or any other deity for that matter, because they are usually none too bright. . . . Or maybe 'stupid' is a better way of saying it; but I have never seen much point in getting heavy with either stupid people or Jesus freaks, just as long as they don't bother me. In a world as weird and cruel as this one we have made for ourselves, I figure anybody who can find peace and personal happiness without ripping off somebody else deserves to be left alone. They will not inherit the earth, but then neither will I. . . . And I have learned to live, as it were, with the idea that I will never find peace and happiness, either. But as long as I know there's a pretty good chance I can get my hands on either one of them every once in a while, I do the best I can between high spots."
--Hunter S. Thompson


EXC
atheist
EXC's picture
Posts: 3782
Joined: 2008-01-17
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote: Vatican:

Vastet wrote:
Vatican: climate change is man-made and must be addressed

How wonderful the greatest hoax of all time is embracing the greatest hoax of our time.

Let me take a big guess and say addressing the issue involves my taxes going up and my freedom going down. But does not involve lowing earth's population.

 

Taxation is the price we pay for failing to build a civilized society. The higher the tax level, the greater the failure. A centrally planned totalitarian state represents a complete defeat for the civilized world, while a totally voluntary society represents its ultimate success. --Mark Skousen


digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
digitalbeachbum's picture
Posts: 4898
Joined: 2007-10-15
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote:Brian37

Vastet wrote:
Brian37 wrote:
it is a gatekeeper fallacy.
Brian starts making up fallacies.  Brian makes shit up.

It's called the Brian Fallacy. We could submit it formally for publication and have it reviewed by our peers.


Atheistextremist
atheist
Atheistextremist's picture
Posts: 5130
Joined: 2009-09-17
User is offlineOffline
The pope

 

Can never help feeling the pope's cap-tipping to humanism while clinging to the core doctrines of the NT are rank hypocrisy. Morally, he's a pushmi-pullyu.

Am I glad he's urging christians to care about the fundamental systems supporting life on Earth? Yeah, sure. Better late than never. 

"Experiments are the only means of knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." Max Planck


iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
Posts: 4196
Joined: 2008-03-23
User is offlineOffline
i feel the same way about

i feel the same way about francis as i've always felt about obama: let's all just keep calm and wait and see. words and gestures are cheap.

"I have never felt comfortable around people who talk about their feelings for Jesus, or any other deity for that matter, because they are usually none too bright. . . . Or maybe 'stupid' is a better way of saying it; but I have never seen much point in getting heavy with either stupid people or Jesus freaks, just as long as they don't bother me. In a world as weird and cruel as this one we have made for ourselves, I figure anybody who can find peace and personal happiness without ripping off somebody else deserves to be left alone. They will not inherit the earth, but then neither will I. . . . And I have learned to live, as it were, with the idea that I will never find peace and happiness, either. But as long as I know there's a pretty good chance I can get my hands on either one of them every once in a while, I do the best I can between high spots."
--Hunter S. Thompson