Awesome pics of newest Chilean volcano

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
Posts: 13210
Joined: 2006-12-25
User is offlineOffline
Awesome pics of newest Chilean volcano

Proud Canadian, Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.


Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
Posts: 5448
Joined: 2007-10-12
User is offlineOffline
Wow. How amazing would it be

Wow. How amazing would it be to see something like that in person


ProzacDeathWish
atheist
ProzacDeathWish's picture
Posts: 4127
Joined: 2007-12-02
User is offlineOffline
Vastet

 

  I wonder what the Inca thought of such things ? 

Patrick is an edgy edgelord.


Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
Posts: 5448
Joined: 2007-10-12
User is offlineOffline
ProzacDeathWish wrote:Vastet

ProzacDeathWish wrote:

 

  I wonder what the Inca thought of such things ? 

Yeah, those Christians whine about 40 days of rain and a little flood, while the Inca's had to survive volcanoes and frequent earthquakes. A couple old, but interesting articles on the mythology of that region. 

www.jstor.org/stable/659165

www.jstor.org/stable/659069

If, if a white man puts his arm around me voluntarily, that's brotherhood. But if you - if you hold a gun on him and make him embrace me and pretend to be friendly or brotherly toward me, then that's not brotherhood, that's hypocrisy.- Malcolm X


ProzacDeathWish
atheist
ProzacDeathWish's picture
Posts: 4127
Joined: 2007-12-02
User is offlineOffline
Beyond Saving

Beyond Saving wrote:

ProzacDeathWish wrote:

 

  I wonder what the Inca thought of such things ? 

Yeah, those Christians whine about 40 days of rain and a little flood, while the Inca's had to survive volcanoes and frequent earthquakes. A couple old, but interesting articles on the mythology of that region. 

www.jstor.org/stable/659165

www.jstor.org/stable/659069

 

  Mastadon skulls mistaken as the skulls of giants.  Interesting. 

Patrick is an edgy edgelord.


Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
Posts: 13210
Joined: 2006-12-25
User is offlineOffline
That makes a LOT of sense.

That makes a LOT of sense. It could very well be analogous to the mythology of giants in every culture. It took an incredible amount of painstaking archeology to conclude that fossils found around the Earth were simply animals that went extinct. Before that, any random giant bone might have been thought to belong to a giant humanoid. If all you find from a T-Rex is a single rib and a single femur, it wouldn't be a completely ridiculous thing to suggest it once belonged to a giant (in the absence of the collective knowledge of archeology).

It often very much annoys me to know how much history has been lost, and how much more destroyed. The greatest accomplishment we could ever dream of would be acquiring all the knowledge that has ever been lost.

If there ever were aliens watching us, and it would be great if they were, I sure as fuck hope they took a lot of notes.

Proud Canadian, Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.


ProzacDeathWish
atheist
ProzacDeathWish's picture
Posts: 4127
Joined: 2007-12-02
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote:That makes a

Vastet wrote:
That makes a LOT of sense. It could very well be analogous to the mythology of giants in every culture. It took an incredible amount of painstaking archeology to conclude that fossils found around the Earth were simply animals that went extinct. Before that, any random giant bone might have been thought to belong to a giant humanoid. If all you find from a T-Rex is a single rib and a single femur, it wouldn't be a completely ridiculous thing to suggest it once belonged to a giant (in the absence of the collective knowledge of archeology). It often very much annoys me to know how much history has been lost, and how much more destroyed. The greatest accomplishment we could ever dream of would be acquiring all the knowledge that has ever been lost. If there ever were aliens watching us, and it would be great if they were, I sure as fuck hope they took a lot of notes.

 

 Yeah, lately I have been reading about a lot of the ancient native peoples of the western hemisphere, their beliefs, social order, methods of warfare, etc.  The last group I had been reading about were the Incas of the Andean region of South America, hence my somewhat odd ball question.  Interesting stuff, though.

Patrick is an edgy edgelord.


Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
Posts: 13210
Joined: 2006-12-25
User is offlineOffline
I was very interested to

I was very interested to learn that a massive swath of the Amazon appears to have been planted. Best estimates say that around 500 BCE a people started the work, and that it took 1500 some years to be finished. There is black earth (human invention) spread over a huge area, and the plant matter is primarily fruits and nuts. It is thought that a massive civilisation once inhabited the area, until the colonial age wiped it out through disease.

Proud Canadian, Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.


digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
digitalbeachbum's picture
Posts: 4901
Joined: 2007-10-15
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote: It is thought

Vastet wrote:
It is thought that a massive civilisation once inhabited the area, until the colonial age wiped it out through disease.

Fucking explorers. 


ProzacDeathWish
atheist
ProzacDeathWish's picture
Posts: 4127
Joined: 2007-12-02
User is offlineOffline
digitalbeachbum

digitalbeachbum wrote:

 

Fucking explorers. 

          ...and the Black Plague of Europe ( 1348-1351 ) killed between 75 million and 200 million people.  Ironically, the Black Plague of Europe seems to have it's origins within Mongol territory ( controlled by the Khan dynasty ) and the Mongols liked to "explore", too.

  Nevertheless, even after suffering such huges losses to disease the populations of both South America and Europe have fully recovered.  In our modern era other diseases ( eg, HIV / AIDS, Ebola ) have continued to attack human populations and are spread by migration both legal and illegal.  Yes, it's tragic but unfortunately nature doesn't seem to care and diseases continue to take their toll on human life although, thankfully on a much smaller scale.

 

                                                                                           

Patrick is an edgy edgelord.