Pope does not expect to stay pope long

harleysportster
atheist
harleysportster's picture
Posts: 3360
Joined: 2010-10-17
User is offlineOffline
Pope does not expect to stay pope long

 I find it funny the conspiracy theorist dickhead at work thinks the Vatican is out to get him and this is some sign. (The same one that believes the government was behind 9/11 and Sandy hook)

However, not too long ago, he was smugly parading around work saying "DID YOU SEE WHERE THE POPE ACKNOWLEDGED ALL RELIGION IS TRUE?"

To which I had the distinct pleasure of telling him that he had fallen victim to a Hoax. 

Even more enjoyable, was to watch him insist the rumor was true and it was a Catholic Conpiracy to cover it up. 

 

abcnews.go.com/International/pope-francis-expects-papacy-years/story

 

Two years to the day after he was elected to lead the world’s 1.1 billion Catholics, Pope Francissaid today that he expects to have only a short papacy.

"I have the feeling that my Pontificate will be brief, 4 or 5 years; I do not know, even 2 or 3,” the 78-year-old pontiff told Mexican broadcaster Televisa.

“I feel that the Lord has placed me here for a short time, and nothing more,” he added, comparing the feeling to “a gambler who convinces himself he will lose so he won’t be disappointed. And if he wins, he’s happy.”

 

 

 

When asked if he liked being pope, Francis told the interviewer that he doesn’t mind, but that he also wouldn’t mind some degree of anonymity. “The only thing I would like is to go out one day, without being recognized, and go to a pizzeria for a pizza," he said.

After two years at the helm of the Holy See, Pope Francis remains incredibly popular. Nine of 10 U.S. Catholics still have a favorable view of the Holy Father, according to the Associated Press.

 

“It is proof of a base and low mind for one to wish to think with the masses or majority, merely because the majority is the majority. Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people.”
― Giordano Bruno


Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
Posts: 15517
Joined: 2006-02-14
User is offlineOffline
 I find it funny that

 I find it funny that humans claim an "all powerful" god but need humans to elect other humans to a seat of power. The pope only has the power humans allow him to have. He has no cosmic bat phone to an invisible sky hero.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under BrianJames Rational Poet also on twitter under Brianrrs37


ProzacDeathWish
atheist
ProzacDeathWish's picture
Posts: 4068
Joined: 2007-12-02
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote: I find it

Brian37 wrote:

 I find it funny that humans claim an "all powerful" god but need humans to elect other humans to a seat of power. The pope only has the power humans allow him to have. He has no cosmic bat phone to an invisible sky hero.

 

           evolution, evolution, evolution, evolution......


Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
Posts: 15517
Joined: 2006-02-14
User is offlineOffline
ProzacDeathWish

ProzacDeathWish wrote:

Brian37 wrote:

 I find it funny that humans claim an "all powerful" god but need humans to elect other humans to a seat of power. The pope only has the power humans allow him to have. He has no cosmic bat phone to an invisible sky hero.

 

           evolution, evolution, evolution, evolution......

Why does everyone have a problem with accepting reality? Yes, evolution. Our ability to have false perceptions is an outcome of evolution. Just because we observe bad claims does not mean humans should cling to those bad claims. 

If our species never questioned social norms our species never would have left the caves. There is no god, there are just humans who like the idea. The Pope, like an Imam and a Rabbi are nothing but presedents of a superstitous club. If you are asking me to coddle the insecurities of those who cling to old fairy tales, I wont. 

We do fine now without believing in the oracles of anceint Rome or Greece as well. "Oracle" is simply a polytheistic word for magic man with a cosmic bat phone to multiple gods instead of one. "Soothsayer" "seer" "psychic" all the same strain of making shit up. "Holy men" in big religions merely mean they have more political global power. But it is still pretending to talk to something that does not exist giving power to someone who is simply pretending. 

We live fine without belief in Thor. We no longer believe in the polytheism of the ancient Egypitans. We no longer believe in the gods of the Greeks and Romans, and they had holy people too. They had temples too. If you want to coddle the inscuriteis of other humans you can. I wont. I think our species has shown consistantly we can override our childish insecurities and improve our understanding of reality without clinging to old myths.

 

 

 

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under BrianJames Rational Poet also on twitter under Brianrrs37


ProzacDeathWish
atheist
ProzacDeathWish's picture
Posts: 4068
Joined: 2007-12-02
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:  Why does

Brian37 wrote:

 

 

Why does everyone have a problem with accepting reality? Yes, evolution. Our ability to have false perceptions is an outcome of evolution. Just because we observe bad claims does not mean humans should cling to those bad claims. 

If our species never questioned social norms our species never would have left the caves. There is no god, there are just humans who like the idea. The Pope, like an Imam and a Rabbi are nothing but presedents of a superstitous club. If you are asking me to coddle the insecurities of those who cling to old fairy tales, I wont. 

We do fine now without believing in the oracles of anceint Rome or Greece as well. "Oracle" is simply a polytheistic word for magic man with a cosmic bat phone to multiple gods instead of one. "Soothsayer" "seer" "psychic" all the same strain of making shit up. "Holy men" in big religions merely mean they have more political global power. But it is still pretending to talk to something that does not exist giving power to someone who is simply pretending. 

We live fine without belief in Thor. We no longer believe in the polytheism of the ancient Egypitans. We no longer believe in the gods of the Greeks and Romans, and they had holy people too. They had temples too. If you want to coddle the inscuriteis of other humans you can. I wont. I think our species has shown consistantly we can override our childish insecurities and improve our understanding of reality without clinging to old myths.

 

 

 

 

                          Dance my little puppet, dance...


Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
Posts: 15517
Joined: 2006-02-14
User is offlineOffline
ProzacDeathWish

ProzacDeathWish wrote:

Brian37 wrote:

 

 

Why does everyone have a problem with accepting reality? Yes, evolution. Our ability to have false perceptions is an outcome of evolution. Just because we observe bad claims does not mean humans should cling to those bad claims. 

If our species never questioned social norms our species never would have left the caves. There is no god, there are just humans who like the idea. The Pope, like an Imam and a Rabbi are nothing but presedents of a superstitous club. If you are asking me to coddle the insecurities of those who cling to old fairy tales, I wont. 

We do fine now without believing in the oracles of anceint Rome or Greece as well. "Oracle" is simply a polytheistic word for magic man with a cosmic bat phone to multiple gods instead of one. "Soothsayer" "seer" "psychic" all the same strain of making shit up. "Holy men" in big religions merely mean they have more political global power. But it is still pretending to talk to something that does not exist giving power to someone who is simply pretending. 

We live fine without belief in Thor. We no longer believe in the polytheism of the ancient Egypitans. We no longer believe in the gods of the Greeks and Romans, and they had holy people too. They had temples too. If you want to coddle the inscuriteis of other humans you can. I wont. I think our species has shown consistantly we can override our childish insecurities and improve our understanding of reality without clinging to old myths.

 

 

 

 

                          Dance my little puppet, dance...

Yea ok, I am a puppet? Got it. Thanks for informing me. It would really suck if humans grew out of Santa for adults. That never got us anywhere. It was so great when we thought blood was magic and sperm was a seed and women played no equal roll in contribution to life. It was wonderful when humans thought brain desease and mental illness were demon possessions. Who needs practical things like science that gets us to the moon, when we have religion that flies planes into buildings. 

My computer is run on pixy dust too. 

 

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under BrianJames Rational Poet also on twitter under Brianrrs37


ProzacDeathWish
atheist
ProzacDeathWish's picture
Posts: 4068
Joined: 2007-12-02
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:  Yea ok, I

Brian37 wrote:

 

 

Yea ok, I am a puppet? Got it. Thanks for informing me. It would really suck if humans grew out of Santa for adults. That never got us anywhere. It was so great when we thought blood was magic and sperm was a.....( blah, blah ) ..... run on pixy dust too. 

 

 

    Jesus, you are like a drunk who keeps walking face first into a wall and never realizes it.  


Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
Posts: 15517
Joined: 2006-02-14
User is offlineOffline
ProzacDeathWish

ProzacDeathWish wrote:

Brian37 wrote:

 

 

Yea ok, I am a puppet? Got it. Thanks for informing me. It would really suck if humans grew out of Santa for adults. That never got us anywhere. It was so great when we thought blood was magic and sperm was a.....( blah, blah ) ..... run on pixy dust too. 

 

 

    Jesus, you are like a drunk who keeps walking face first into a wall and never realizes it.  

 

No, "drunk" is pretending to talk to something that is not there. You not liking my persistence does not make any god real or any religion a requirement for the unvierse to do what it does. 

If you want to coddle the insecurities of other humans who insist on clinging to bad claims, no one is stopping you. I think our species as proven time after time that when they lose their fears and are willing to let go of bad ideas, we progress. I really don't give a shit if others don't like my bluntness. Saying "this is it" does not make me the bad guy. 

Now at best you could make a better argument with "Why do you have to be a dick so much"? I would still argue my word choice and bluntness isn't an act of war or opression. It would still mean you don't like my tactic. 

You don't like the way I put things. And? I don't like religious sexism, religious bigotry, homophobia, violence in the name of religion, attacks on science like evolution and climate change. The reason I care is because humans all over the world center their lives around theses bad claims and own weapons and justify harm to others. I would love nothing more than to not have to give a shit about any of their crap, but it does have an affect on us.

Now when I start outlawing religion or murdering people because I think they are full of shit, then you would be right in calling me a bad guy. But since I am not threatining anybody physically you have no case. Bluntess and blasphemy are not a crime. My persistence is not a crime. 

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under BrianJames Rational Poet also on twitter under Brianrrs37


ProzacDeathWish
atheist
ProzacDeathWish's picture
Posts: 4068
Joined: 2007-12-02
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:   No,

Brian37 wrote:

 

 

 

No, "drunk" is pretending to talk to something that is not there. You not liking my persistence does not make any god real or any religion a requirement for the unvierse to do what it does. 

If you want to coddle the insecurities of other humans who insist on clinging to bad claims, no one is stopping you. I think our species as proven time after time that when they lose their fears and are willing to let go of bad ideas, we progress. I really don't give a shit if others don't like my bluntness. Saying "this is it" does not make me the bad guy. 

Now at best you could make a better argument with "Why do you have to be a dick so much"? I would still argue my word choice and bluntness isn't an act of war or opression. It would still mean you don't like my tactic. 

You don't like the way I put things. And? I don't like religious sexism, religious bigotry, homophobia, violence in the name of religion, attacks on science like evolution and climate change. The reason I care is because humans all over the world center their lives around theses bad claims and own weapons and justify harm to others. I would love nothing more than to not have to give a shit about any of their crap, but it does have an affect on us.

Now when I start outlawing religion or murdering people because I think they are full of shit, then you would be right in calling me a bad guy. But since I am not threatining anybody physically you have no case. Bluntess and blasphemy are not a crime. My persistence is not a crime. 

 

        You are an emotionally disturbed misfit who massively overcompensates for your meaningless existence by becoming a laughable, comic book version, left wing "social justice warrior"  Seriously, I can't think of a single person here who actually takes your rantings seriously anymore.  You need to visit a shrink, bro.


butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
Posts: 3945
Joined: 2008-09-12
User is offlineOffline
harleysportster wrote:After

harleysportster wrote:

After two years at the helm of the Holy See, Pope Francis remains incredibly popular. Nine of 10 U.S. Catholics still have a favorable view of the Holy Father, according to the Associated Press.

Heh, I like this pope too, relatively speaking.

 

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, | As I foretold you, were all spirits, and | Are melted into air, into thin air; | And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, | The cloud-capped towers, the gorgeous palaces, | The solemn temples, the great globe itself, - Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve, | And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, | Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff | As dreams are made on, and our little life | Is rounded with a sleep. - Shakespeare


iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
Posts: 4196
Joined: 2008-03-23
User is offlineOffline
ProzacDeathWish

ProzacDeathWish wrote:
Seriously, I can't think of a single person here who actually takes your rantings seriously anymore.



i guess bob at least pretends to, out of pity or some kind of big brother feeling.

"I have never felt comfortable around people who talk about their feelings for Jesus, or any other deity for that matter, because they are usually none too bright. . . . Or maybe 'stupid' is a better way of saying it; but I have never seen much point in getting heavy with either stupid people or Jesus freaks, just as long as they don't bother me. In a world as weird and cruel as this one we have made for ourselves, I figure anybody who can find peace and personal happiness without ripping off somebody else deserves to be left alone. They will not inherit the earth, but then neither will I. . . . And I have learned to live, as it were, with the idea that I will never find peace and happiness, either. But as long as I know there's a pretty good chance I can get my hands on either one of them every once in a while, I do the best I can between high spots."
--Hunter S. Thompson


Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
Posts: 15517
Joined: 2006-02-14
User is offlineOffline
iwbiek wrote:ProzacDeathWish

iwbiek wrote:
ProzacDeathWish wrote:
Seriously, I can't think of a single person here who actually takes your rantings seriously anymore.

i guess bob at least pretends to, out of pity or some kind of big brother feeling.

Sour grapes on your part. Bob doesn't cut me any slack or take pitty on me. He is 100% with me that we do not need to cling to the past. He is 100% with me that NO RELIGION in our species history is a reflection of independent science outside our ability to make shit up. Now he would say that I may mangle certain aspects of science, or be a bit off, but that is no different than your refusing capitalize your sentances. 

When you say something scientifically correct he will agree with you, I will agree with you. 

FACT, religion is NOT required by science to understand anything about the unvierse. The pope is not needed, Buddha is not needed. Those figures are man made titles and only prove humans like those things and make them up. 

We will not find a fat guy or a dead guy on a stick, or a guy with a Turbin beyhind our background radiation. We will not find unicorns, or a borg behind that background radation. The universe is an OBJECT and a weather pattern, it does not think. Our ability to think is an outcome requiring mass and energy to be in a certain state in the form of atoms in motion in a certain structure. 

Once you treat "all this" as the same as human consciousness collectively, in whatever stupid form you want to equate it, you are the one that should not be taken seriously.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under BrianJames Rational Poet also on twitter under Brianrrs37


iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
Posts: 4196
Joined: 2008-03-23
User is offlineOffline
i do not consider either

i do not consider either your or bob's agreement worth anything.


iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
Posts: 4196
Joined: 2008-03-23
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote: Now he would

Brian37 wrote:
Now he would say that I may mangle certain aspects of science, or be a bit off, but that is no different than your refusing capitalize your sentances.



ah, so you intentionally fuck up your science? i always said your bullshit was deliberate.

"I have never felt comfortable around people who talk about their feelings for Jesus, or any other deity for that matter, because they are usually none too bright. . . . Or maybe 'stupid' is a better way of saying it; but I have never seen much point in getting heavy with either stupid people or Jesus freaks, just as long as they don't bother me. In a world as weird and cruel as this one we have made for ourselves, I figure anybody who can find peace and personal happiness without ripping off somebody else deserves to be left alone. They will not inherit the earth, but then neither will I. . . . And I have learned to live, as it were, with the idea that I will never find peace and happiness, either. But as long as I know there's a pretty good chance I can get my hands on either one of them every once in a while, I do the best I can between high spots."
--Hunter S. Thompson


Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
Posts: 15517
Joined: 2006-02-14
User is offlineOffline
ProzacDeathWish

ProzacDeathWish wrote:

Brian37 wrote:

 

 

 

No, "drunk" is pretending to talk to something that is not there. You not liking my persistence does not make any god real or any religion a requirement for the unvierse to do what it does. 

If you want to coddle the insecurities of other humans who insist on clinging to bad claims, no one is stopping you. I think our species as proven time after time that when they lose their fears and are willing to let go of bad ideas, we progress. I really don't give a shit if others don't like my bluntness. Saying "this is it" does not make me the bad guy. 

Now at best you could make a better argument with "Why do you have to be a dick so much"? I would still argue my word choice and bluntness isn't an act of war or opression. It would still mean you don't like my tactic. 

You don't like the way I put things. And? I don't like religious sexism, religious bigotry, homophobia, violence in the name of religion, attacks on science like evolution and climate change. The reason I care is because humans all over the world center their lives around theses bad claims and own weapons and justify harm to others. I would love nothing more than to not have to give a shit about any of their crap, but it does have an affect on us.

Now when I start outlawing religion or murdering people because I think they are full of shit, then you would be right in calling me a bad guy. But since I am not threatining anybody physically you have no case. Bluntess and blasphemy are not a crime. My persistence is not a crime. 

 

        You are an emotionally disturbed misfit who massively overcompensates for your meaningless existence by becoming a laughable, comic book version, left wing "social justice warrior"  Seriously, I can't think of a single person here who actually takes your rantings seriously anymore.  You need to visit a shrink, bro.

You almost have it. "Meaningless" but see, do the right thing and accept outside the finite life all of us have, it really is meaningless. Yep, see the only difference when you say "you need a shrink" for me merely being blunt, is only because you have some level of empathy that prevents you from doing the things religious zealots do in going beyond merely saying "you need a shrink". That empathy is because you have the benefit of not living in a bubble compared to some sections of the world's populations. 

No my life is not meaningless, to you maybe, but you only say that because you don't like me. 7 billion humans will not all like each other. My life is what I make it and I am under absolutely no obligation to follow your script. Being blunt and blasphemous and even cussing only means I offend you. It does not any of of us the center of the universe nore does it make our species important to the universe.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under BrianJames Rational Poet also on twitter under Brianrrs37


ProzacDeathWish
atheist
ProzacDeathWish's picture
Posts: 4068
Joined: 2007-12-02
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:   No my

Brian37 wrote:

 

 

 

No my life is not meaningless, to you maybe, but you only say that because you don't like me.

 

 

     I only like people who are actually likeable.  Atheists don't get special consideration from me.  An ass hole is an ass hole.

 

 

Brian37 wrote:
My life is what I make it and I am under absolutely no obligation to follow your script.

 

    Religious people are under no obligation to follow your script, either.   That must really piss you off.

 

 

 

  

Brian37 wrote:
Being blunt and blasphemous and even cussing only means I offend you.

 

             That is so cute !

 

Brian37 wrote:
It does not any of of us the center of the universe nore does it make our species important to the universe.

 

      Fuck our worthless human species®....and fuck the universe®, too.


butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
Posts: 3945
Joined: 2008-09-12
User is offlineOffline
iwbiek wrote:Brian37 wrote:

iwbiek wrote:
Brian37 wrote:
Now he would say that I may mangle certain aspects of science, or be a bit off, but that is no different than your refusing capitalize your sentances.

ah, so you intentionally fuck up your science? i always said your bullshit was deliberate.

Lol.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, | As I foretold you, were all spirits, and | Are melted into air, into thin air; | And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, | The cloud-capped towers, the gorgeous palaces, | The solemn temples, the great globe itself, - Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve, | And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, | Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff | As dreams are made on, and our little life | Is rounded with a sleep. - Shakespeare


Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
Posts: 15517
Joined: 2006-02-14
User is offlineOffline
ProzacDeathWish

ProzacDeathWish wrote:

Brian37 wrote:

 

 

 

No my life is not meaningless, to you maybe, but you only say that because you don't like me.

 

 

     I only like people who are actually likeable.  Atheists don't get special consideration from me.  An ass hole is an ass hole.

 

 

Brian37 wrote:
My life is what I make it and I am under absolutely no obligation to follow your script.

 

    Religious people are under no obligation to follow your script, either.   That must really piss you off.

 

 

 

  

Brian37 wrote:
Being blunt and blasphemous and even cussing only means I offend you.

 

             That is so cute !

 

Brian37 wrote:
It does not any of of us the center of the universe nore does it make our species important to the universe.

 

      Fuck our worthless human species®....and fuck the universe®, too.

 

No you moron, you know damned well that is not what I mean about "meaningless".  Our one life we have as individuals certianly has meaning, and I certainly find it extremely valuable that while our finite ride is going on, that we figure out as much as we can about science.

Now you show me where the fuck I called our species worthless? Lots of bad logic held by humans most certainly. Saying we don't need si fi crap or religion to figure out how things work isn't pessimistic, it is REALISTIC.  There is good behavior in our species, but that is in us, not the labels we assgn ourselves. 

In the grand scope, just like we didn't exist before we were born, just like our evolution had a, our species past that did not include us, our species will like all other life have an end. There have been 5 mass extinctions in our planets history. Saying that our ride will end does not mean I am pessimistic or fatalistic. No one cries ove r the death of a bacteria or cockroach. 

 

You go to movies knowing they will end. You go to music concerts knowing they will end. You go to sporting events knowing they will end. None of those things are the result of pixies, unicorns or borgs. 

There are awesome things in nature. There are good things about our species, especially our ability to figure things out. I simply refuse to assign anything good about the universe or about humans to bullshit. 

Saing that our species is not the center of this planet or the universe is merely accepting reality.  

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under BrianJames Rational Poet also on twitter under Brianrrs37


Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
Posts: 15517
Joined: 2006-02-14
User is offlineOffline
 The universe is a very

 The universe is a very violent place and even this planet has had meteors hit it. The earth was molten at one point, it was a ball of ice at one point, and even when life took off, it still has volcanos, earthquakes, lightening strikes, desease. Humans being on it has actually been a blip in it's history. 

You are stuck on pretty. Now however you want to sex it up with woo, of any kind, if you think "all this" was put here for us, by "something" then go take a space walk and take your helmet off. 

Even with all the bad in the universe, and on this planet, I find the fact we are here amazing. I simply don't gap fill to explain it.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under BrianJames Rational Poet also on twitter under Brianrrs37


ProzacDeathWish
atheist
ProzacDeathWish's picture
Posts: 4068
Joined: 2007-12-02
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote: The universe

Brian37 wrote:

 The universe is a very violent place and even this planet has had meteors hit it. The earth was molten at one point, it was a ball of ice at one point, and even when life took off, it still has volcanos, earthquakes....

 

   Brian, when are you going  to move to Australia so you can live in Bob Spence's basement ?


Jabberwocky
atheist
Posts: 411
Joined: 2012-04-21
User is offlineOffline
A win/win of a statement

A win/win of a statement really. Either he dies, and "He was right! He must have known! GOD MUST HAVE TOLD HIM!!!" or "He's still alive! It's the will of god!!!!". Now I'm not sure that it was his particular thought process, but the general reaction of Catholics to either scenario, or any non-Catholic, but theist, fans of his, will probably be about there (of course, relative to how intensely they believe). 

It's sad that we're sitting here quite literally saying "well, he did excommunicate and allow that ONE pedophile priest to face justice for his crimes". I mean, I even have to concede that he is a far better person than his predecessor. I don't think that anyone can be that much of a sociopath that they would deliberately say everything that Francis says just for damage control and public image. I do think that he's probably still a homophobe, and is willing to say things out of his own comfort zone. However, I don't think that it is all a deliberate calculated ruse. I honestly think that Pope Francis is a victim of extreme cognitive dissonance, not much different than a creationist who has been convinced of some aspect of biology that puts their view into question.

His particular statement though...yeah. Doesn't matter one iota. It's a nothing statement that in the framework of religious superstition sounds good no matter the outcome. 

Theists - If your god is omnipotent, remember the following: He (or she) has the cure for cancer, but won't tell us what it is.


Jabberwocky
atheist
Posts: 411
Joined: 2012-04-21
User is offlineOffline
A win/win of a statement

A win/win of a statement really. Either he dies, and "He was right! He must have known! GOD MUST HAVE TOLD HIM!!!" or "He's still alive! It's the will of god!!!!". Now I'm not sure that it was his particular thought process, but the general reaction of Catholics to either scenario, or any non-Catholic, but theist, fans of his, will probably be about there (of course, relative to how intensely they believe). 

It's sad that we're sitting here quite literally saying "well, he did excommunicate and allow that ONE pedophile priest to face justice for his crimes". I mean, I even have to concede that he is a far better person than his predecessor. I don't think that anyone can be that much of a sociopath that they would deliberately say everything that Francis says just for damage control and public image. I do think that he's probably still a homophobe, and is willing to say things out of his own comfort zone. However, I don't think that it is all a deliberate calculated ruse. I honestly think that Pope Francis is a victim of extreme cognitive dissonance, not much different than a creationist who has been convinced of some aspect of biology that puts their view into question.

His particular statement though...yeah. Doesn't matter one iota. It's a nothing statement that in the framework of religious superstition sounds good no matter the outcome. 

Theists - If your god is omnipotent, remember the following: He (or she) has the cure for cancer, but won't tell us what it is.


Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
Posts: 15517
Joined: 2006-02-14
User is offlineOffline
iwbiek wrote:i do not

iwbiek wrote:
i do not consider either your or bob's agreement worth anything.

I just want you to know you shattered our lives, we are so broken up by your opinion of us. Oh I bet if you look it up on I tunes you can find a Carly Simon song on it. It would suit you well.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under BrianJames Rational Poet also on twitter under Brianrrs37


Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
Posts: 15517
Joined: 2006-02-14
User is offlineOffline
ProzacDeathWish

ProzacDeathWish wrote:

Brian37 wrote:

 The universe is a very violent place and even this planet has had meteors hit it. The earth was molten at one point, it was a ball of ice at one point, and even when life took off, it still has volcanos, earthquakes....

 

   Brian, when are you going  to move to Australia so you can live in Bob Spence's basement ?

Not sure what his habits are, we certainly are great friends online, but people have to be on the relitive same page as far as living habits. If that was ment to be an insult, it wasn't. I get on  my mom's nerves too. I doubt you'd get her to call me evil. But as far as Bob, I think he wouldn't want me living with him just for NFL alone. 

 

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under BrianJames Rational Poet also on twitter under Brianrrs37


Vastet
atheistBloggerHigh Level ModeratorSuperfan
Vastet's picture
Posts: 12947
Joined: 2006-12-25
User is offlineOffline
ProzacDeathWish

ProzacDeathWish wrote:

Brian37 wrote:

 

 

Why does everyone have a problem with accepting reality? Yes, evolution. Our ability to have false perceptions is an outcome of evolution. Just because we observe bad claims does not mean humans should cling to those bad claims. 

If our species never questioned social norms our species never would have left the caves. There is no god, there are just humans who like the idea. The Pope, like an Imam and a Rabbi are nothing but presedents of a superstitous club. If you are asking me to coddle the insecurities of those who cling to old fairy tales, I wont. 

We do fine now without believing in the oracles of anceint Rome or Greece as well. "Oracle" is simply a polytheistic word for magic man with a cosmic bat phone to multiple gods instead of one. "Soothsayer" "seer" "psychic" all the same strain of making shit up. "Holy men" in big religions merely mean they have more political global power. But it is still pretending to talk to something that does not exist giving power to someone who is simply pretending. 

We live fine without belief in Thor. We no longer believe in the polytheism of the ancient Egypitans. We no longer believe in the gods of the Greeks and Romans, and they had holy people too. They had temples too. If you want to coddle the inscuriteis of other humans you can. I wont. I think our species has shown consistantly we can override our childish insecurities and improve our understanding of reality without clinging to old myths.

 

 

 

 

                          Dance my little puppet, dance...

*chokes*

Proud Canadian, Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.


Vastet
atheistBloggerHigh Level ModeratorSuperfan
Vastet's picture
Posts: 12947
Joined: 2006-12-25
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:iwbiek wrote:i

Brian37 wrote:

iwbiek wrote:
i do not consider either your or bob's agreement worth anything.

I just want you to know you shattered our lives, we are so broken up by your opinion of us. Oh I bet if you look it up on I tunes you can find a Carly Simon song on it. It would suit you well.

I suspect it really does bother you, which is why you escalate the stupidity. Desperate to gain some respect, oblivious to the inevitable result. It's like a tragic story where the protagonist never sees what other people see, and is forever trapped in a world of his own making.

If you weren't such a dick I'd probably feel sorry for you. I think I used to. Not sure now.

Proud Canadian, Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.