shatnerverse novels

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
Posts: 4196
Joined: 2008-03-23
User is offlineOffline
shatnerverse novels

any opinions? are they worth reading? i've stayed away from star trek novels for the same reasons i've stayed away from most star wars novels: they just seem to be an ever-growing rabbit hole that i don't have the time or money to go down. i'm told shatner's novels, however, totally disregard the continuity of the other novels, which sounds like typical shatner chutzpah, and i admire that. the synopses i've read make them sound like interesting stories, particularly in connecting the borg to v'ger. since nimoy's death i've decided to go back and reexamine at least TOS and TNG, and i thought the shatner novels might make a great supplement and entertaining alternative history post-"generations," without getting lost in the massive, complex continuity of the scores of mainstream star trek novels.

"I have never felt comfortable around people who talk about their feelings for Jesus, or any other deity for that matter, because they are usually none too bright. . . . Or maybe 'stupid' is a better way of saying it; but I have never seen much point in getting heavy with either stupid people or Jesus freaks, just as long as they don't bother me. In a world as weird and cruel as this one we have made for ourselves, I figure anybody who can find peace and personal happiness without ripping off somebody else deserves to be left alone. They will not inherit the earth, but then neither will I. . . . And I have learned to live, as it were, with the idea that I will never find peace and happiness, either. But as long as I know there's a pretty good chance I can get my hands on either one of them every once in a while, I do the best I can between high spots."
--Hunter S. Thompson


digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
digitalbeachbum's picture
Posts: 4898
Joined: 2007-10-15
User is offlineOffline
Some are good stand alone.

Some are good stand alone. The idea that Capt Kirk was brought back to life is lame to me.

 


Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
Posts: 15621
Joined: 2006-02-14
User is offlineOffline
iwbiek wrote:any opinions?

iwbiek wrote:
any opinions? are they worth reading? i've stayed away from star trek novels for the same reasons i've stayed away from most star wars novels: they just seem to be an ever-growing rabbit hole that i don't have the time or money to go down. i'm told shatner's novels, however, totally disregard the continuity of the other novels, which sounds like typical shatner chutzpah, and i admire that. the synopses i've read make them sound like interesting stories, particularly in connecting the borg to v'ger. since nimoy's death i've decided to go back and reexamine at least TOS and TNG, and i thought the shatner novels might make a great supplement and entertaining alternative history post-"generations," without getting lost in the massive, complex continuity of the scores of mainstream star trek novels.

Why not? It's harmeless. It's just fiction. Not like anyone has ever turned a bad claim into religion. Maybe you can start your own. Make Kirk a savor god and build temples to him.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under BrianJames Rational Poet also on twitter under Brianrrs37


iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
Posts: 4196
Joined: 2008-03-23
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:Why not? It's

Brian37 wrote:
Why not? It's harmeless. It's just fiction. Not like anyone has ever turned a bad claim into religion. Maybe you can start your own. Make Kirk a savor god and build temples to him.




why not? because unlike you, i have responsibilities, and hence my time is limited. seriously, dude, do i come and try to start an argument about religion on your lame-ass fucking abba threads? or your TV trivia threads? fuck off.

"I have never felt comfortable around people who talk about their feelings for Jesus, or any other deity for that matter, because they are usually none too bright. . . . Or maybe 'stupid' is a better way of saying it; but I have never seen much point in getting heavy with either stupid people or Jesus freaks, just as long as they don't bother me. In a world as weird and cruel as this one we have made for ourselves, I figure anybody who can find peace and personal happiness without ripping off somebody else deserves to be left alone. They will not inherit the earth, but then neither will I. . . . And I have learned to live, as it were, with the idea that I will never find peace and happiness, either. But as long as I know there's a pretty good chance I can get my hands on either one of them every once in a while, I do the best I can between high spots."
--Hunter S. Thompson


digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
digitalbeachbum's picture
Posts: 4898
Joined: 2007-10-15
User is offlineOffline
iwbiek wrote:Brian37

iwbiek wrote:
Brian37 wrote:
Why not? It's harmeless. It's just fiction. Not like anyone has ever turned a bad claim into religion. Maybe you can start your own. Make Kirk a savor god and build temples to him.

 


why not? because unlike you, i have responsibilities, and hence my time is limited. seriously, dude, do i come and try to start an argument about religion on your lame-ass fucking abba threads? or your TV trivia threads? fuck off.

I think you would enjoy them. It is difficult for some fans to like them because they ignore every other timeline and story of the star trek universe.


Vastet
atheistBloggerHigh Level ModeratorSuperfan
Vastet's picture
Posts: 13098
Joined: 2006-12-25
User is offlineOffline
Brian stop polluting every

Brian stop polluting every single topic with your bullshit strawman arguments and your personal grudges. iwbiek doesn't follow you around criticising everything you say, despite the fact he has good reason to. It's getting quite tiresome seeing the same bullshit in every single thread.

As for the topic, I've only read a few Shatner books. All in the Tek series. I thought I'd read one of his ST novels, but I don't recognise them so I guess not. However, as he wrote about things I'm interested in; like the Borg, I do have a familiarity of sorts with his work.

If you liked the character of Kirk, and care as much about continuity as anyone who ever wrote for Star Trek in film or print (in other words, you don't give a rats ass about continuity), then you may find the books enjoyable. He isn't the greatest author, but he does know the character as well as anyone. He also knows Spock & McCoy as well as anyone save Nimoy & Kelly, which puts him on par with anyone else now. Anyone I've read, anyway.
He also cares about the character, though he isn't capable of writing anything with real depth as his ego forces Kirk to effectively become a god of sorts. Kirk has been resurrected more than once in ways that are streched to say the least, and suffers only in the most cliché ways. It'll kinda depend on how into Trek itself and, Kirk in particular, you are as to whether you can buy into it.

Maybe borrow one from the library (if possible) and keep it beside the toilet for when you need to shit. If it leaves the bathroom then go ahead and read the others too. If it stays there then just return it without having wasted any time on it.

Proud Canadian, Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.