He lived long and prospered, Nimoy dead at 83

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
Posts: 15723
Joined: 2006-02-14
User is offlineOffline
He lived long and prospered, Nimoy dead at 83

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under BrianJames Rational Poet also on twitter under Brianrrs37


ProzacDeathWish
atheist
ProzacDeathWish's picture
Posts: 4127
Joined: 2007-12-02
User is offlineOffline
(No subject)


Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
Posts: 13210
Joined: 2006-12-25
User is offlineOffline
*Fixed*

*Fixed*

Proud Canadian, Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.


Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
Posts: 15723
Joined: 2006-02-14
User is offlineOffline
 Thanks. I don't have this

 Thanks. I don't have this problem on other websites. I thought I did it right. Got to remember to click on the link after I submit it to see if it works.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under BrianJames Rational Poet also on twitter under Brianrrs37


digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
digitalbeachbum's picture
Posts: 4901
Joined: 2007-10-15
User is offlineOffline
COPD is a killer.I remember

COPD is a killer.

I remember the first time I saw Star Trek. It was back in mid 70's and I would watch it on a small colored televison set with a friend while eating Chef Boyardee pizzas (the ones you rolled the dough, spread the sauce and put on your own cheese).

I clearly remember "Arena" as being one of the first and "I, Mudd". When I found out it only had three seasons I was disappointed. I watched the show over and over again and instantly became a trekkie (the name I prefer over trekker).

RIP Spock

 


iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
Posts: 4197
Joined: 2008-03-23
User is offlineOffline
anyone here see this?

dp. see below.


iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
Posts: 4197
Joined: 2008-03-23
User is offlineOffline
anyone here see this?

anyone here see this? origin of the vulcan greeting. very interesting.


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RrdF3bXupF0


(would love to embed, but youtube won't give the old embed code anymore and the code generators i've tried just fuck it up.)

"I have never felt comfortable around people who talk about their feelings for Jesus, or any other deity for that matter, because they are usually none too bright. . . . Or maybe 'stupid' is a better way of saying it; but I have never seen much point in getting heavy with either stupid people or Jesus freaks, just as long as they don't bother me. In a world as weird and cruel as this one we have made for ourselves, I figure anybody who can find peace and personal happiness without ripping off somebody else deserves to be left alone. They will not inherit the earth, but then neither will I. . . . And I have learned to live, as it were, with the idea that I will never find peace and happiness, either. But as long as I know there's a pretty good chance I can get my hands on either one of them every once in a while, I do the best I can between high spots."
--Hunter S. Thompson


digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
digitalbeachbum's picture
Posts: 4901
Joined: 2007-10-15
User is offlineOffline
iwbiek wrote:anyone here see

iwbiek wrote:
anyone here see this? origin of the vulcan greeting. very interesting.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RrdF3bXupF0
(would love to embed, but youtube won't give the old embed code anymore and the code generators i've tried just fuck it up.)

Very freaking awesome.  Good post.

Yeah... Youtube won't give the old code any more.


Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
Posts: 15723
Joined: 2006-02-14
User is offlineOffline
 I was watching all the

 I was watching all the news, no link, but one news story showed clips of all the fans honoring him with the hand greeting. But one marching band screwed it up,  instead of making the "V" they had the two fingers in the middle up with the end fingers on the side. Oh well, their intent was there.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under BrianJames Rational Poet also on twitter under Brianrrs37


digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
digitalbeachbum's picture
Posts: 4901
Joined: 2007-10-15
User is offlineOffline
Canadians “Spock” their banknotes to honor Leonard Nimoy

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
Posts: 15723
Joined: 2006-02-14
User is offlineOffline
 Everyone is shitting on

 Everyone is shitting on Shatner for not going to the funeral. Ok I get it, it would be nice, but I think Shatner is getting raked for no good reason. I think Nimoy would be quite understanding considering it happened so fast and Bill was at a charity event.

That brings me to my next issue. I get people will mourn, yea. But funerals are way over priced and only for the living. I will tell everyone here when I die, don't spend money on me for anything beyond say food and drink for a wake at someone's house. I want my body donated to science anyway. I'll be dead I see no reason to spend money on a casket or even cremation. I would want my friends to spend that on the living not me.

 

 

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under BrianJames Rational Poet also on twitter under Brianrrs37


digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
digitalbeachbum's picture
Posts: 4901
Joined: 2007-10-15
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote: Everyone is

Brian37 wrote:

 Everyone is shitting on Shatner for not going to the funeral. Ok I get it, it would be nice, but I think Shatner is getting raked for no good reason. I think Nimoy would be quite understanding considering it happened so fast and Bill was at a charity event.

That brings me to my next issue. I get people will mourn, yea. But funerals are way over priced and only for the living. I will tell everyone here when I die, don't spend money on me for anything beyond say food and drink for a wake at someone's house. I want my body donated to science anyway. I'll be dead I see no reason to spend money on a casket or even cremation. I would want my friends to spend that on the living not me.

 

It's the media trying to make something out of nothing. Shatner's family (daughters) went in his stead.

I want a 'sky burial', but stupid laws and ignorance here in the states doesn't allow for it.

The entire funeral setup here in the states needs to be overhauled and reformed. The average cost I believe is between $6000 and $8000 bucks but that is with a casket, flowers, funeral palor, etc.

I want to be cremated for sure, but with the ashes I'm trying to debate having me launched in to space, released from a ballon or having me planted for a tree to grow.


Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
Posts: 15723
Joined: 2006-02-14
User is offlineOffline
digitalbeachbum

digitalbeachbum wrote:

Brian37 wrote:

 Everyone is shitting on Shatner for not going to the funeral. Ok I get it, it would be nice, but I think Shatner is getting raked for no good reason. I think Nimoy would be quite understanding considering it happened so fast and Bill was at a charity event.

That brings me to my next issue. I get people will mourn, yea. But funerals are way over priced and only for the living. I will tell everyone here when I die, don't spend money on me for anything beyond say food and drink for a wake at someone's house. I want my body donated to science anyway. I'll be dead I see no reason to spend money on a casket or even cremation. I would want my friends to spend that on the living not me.

 

It's the media trying to make something out of nothing. Shatner's family (daughters) went in his stead.

I want a 'sky burial', but stupid laws and ignorance here in the states doesn't allow for it.

The entire funeral setup here in the states needs to be overhauled and reformed. The average cost I believe is between $6000 and $8000 bucks but that is with a casket, flowers, funeral palor, etc.

I want to be cremated for sure, but with the ashes I'm trying to debate having me launched in to space, released from a ballon or having me planted for a tree to grow.

It is a scam preying off the pain of survivors. Caskets especially, pay 3 to 10k or more for something you look at for a couple of hours only to stick it into the ground. What a waste of resources. I would rather my family keep that money and spend it on their own bills. Like I said, a wake and spend some money on food and drink in a home you don't have to rent, but that is it. 

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under BrianJames Rational Poet also on twitter under Brianrrs37


Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
Posts: 13210
Joined: 2006-12-25
User is offlineOffline
More English failure on your

More English failure on your part. Coupled with an underestimation of basic human intelligence, which is a hell of a thing for you to delude yourself into.

Calling death rituals scams implies that the average person isn't already aware that funerals are for the living, not the dead. Which is absolutely false.

If someone feels better putting a loved one in an oak box instead of pine, who the hell are you to tell them it makes no difference? If it made no difference, then they'd have gone with the pine; or even made it themselves out of dirt and water. Or just left the body to rot in a forest somewhere.

Clearly it makes a big difference, hence the industry surrounding death. For longer than human history records. You are not smarter than tens of billions of people. Not by a long shot.

Proud Canadian, Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.


iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
Posts: 4197
Joined: 2008-03-23
User is offlineOffline
no, they don't need those

no, they don't need those expensive caskets, just like they don't need lambourghinis or bikes with mag wheels. the only things that are really necessary are those brian says are necessary.

"I have never felt comfortable around people who talk about their feelings for Jesus, or any other deity for that matter, because they are usually none too bright. . . . Or maybe 'stupid' is a better way of saying it; but I have never seen much point in getting heavy with either stupid people or Jesus freaks, just as long as they don't bother me. In a world as weird and cruel as this one we have made for ourselves, I figure anybody who can find peace and personal happiness without ripping off somebody else deserves to be left alone. They will not inherit the earth, but then neither will I. . . . And I have learned to live, as it were, with the idea that I will never find peace and happiness, either. But as long as I know there's a pretty good chance I can get my hands on either one of them every once in a while, I do the best I can between high spots."
--Hunter S. Thompson


Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
Posts: 15723
Joined: 2006-02-14
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote:More English

Vastet wrote:
More English failure on your part. Coupled with an underestimation of basic human intelligence, which is a hell of a thing for you to delude yourself into. Calling death rituals scams implies that the average person isn't already aware that funerals are for the living, not the dead. Which is absolutely false. If someone feels better putting a loved one in an oak box instead of pine, who the hell are you to tell them it makes no difference? If it made no difference, then they'd have gone with the pine; or even made it themselves out of dirt and water. Or just left the body to rot in a forest somewhere. Clearly it makes a big difference, hence the industry surrounding death. For longer than human history records. You are not smarter than tens of billions of people. Not by a long shot.

Funerals are for the living, unless you can prove the dead get happiness out of it after they die. You certainly can follow the wishes of someone sure, but the scientific fact is there is no benefit for the dead, they are dead. Even with me, if someone ignored my wishes, it literally would not matter because I won't see it or feel it after I am dead. It would only piss off the living if someone ignored my wishes. It is a ritual for the living, the dead have no more ability to care than before they were born.

 

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under BrianJames Rational Poet also on twitter under Brianrrs37


Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
Posts: 13210
Joined: 2006-12-25
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:Funerals are

Brian37 wrote:
Funerals are for the living,

I just said that you fucking brainless shitstain. I'm not even going to read the rest of your moronic and irrelevant diatribe because you obviously didn't see how I completely obliterated your argument before you even posted it.

Proud Canadian, Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.