No Indictment

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
digitalbeachbum's picture
Posts: 4856
Joined: 2007-10-15
User is offlineOffline
No Indictment

No indictment. From what I heard and saw from the announcement it appears that Brown died doing some really stupid stuff to get himself killed.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2014/11/24/ferguson-grand-jury-deliberations/19474907/


ProzacDeathWish
atheist
ProzacDeathWish's picture
Posts: 4101
Joined: 2007-12-02
User is offlineOffline
  Now the outraged blacks

  Now the outraged blacks are employing that special brand of African American justice by buring their own city down.  I wish I had access to an F-4 loaded with napalm to show my solidarity.

witty expression goes here.


Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
Posts: 5402
Joined: 2007-10-12
User is offlineOffline
ProzacDeathWish wrote:  Now

ProzacDeathWish wrote:

  Now the outraged blacks are employing that special brand of African American justice by buring their own city down.  I wish I had access to an F-4 loaded with napalm to show my solidarity.

Yeah, WTF, I can join in with anti cop sentiment, but what good does burning your own city down? Next they will want a law requiring businesses to build in their area when every franchise with any sense rebuilds elsewhere. Cops are evil therefore burn down the nearest McDonalds,  perfect example of leftist logic.

If, if a white man puts his arm around me voluntarily, that's brotherhood. But if you - if you hold a gun on him and make him embrace me and pretend to be friendly or brotherly toward me, then that's not brotherhood, that's hypocrisy.- Malcolm X


digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
digitalbeachbum's picture
Posts: 4856
Joined: 2007-10-15
User is offlineOffline
Beyond Saving

Beyond Saving wrote:

ProzacDeathWish wrote:

  Now the outraged blacks are employing that special brand of African American justice by buring their own city down.  I wish I had access to an F-4 loaded with napalm to show my solidarity.

Yeah, WTF, I can join in with anti cop sentiment, but what good does burning your own city down? Next they will want a law requiring businesses to build in their area when every franchise with any sense rebuilds elsewhere. Cops are evil therefore burn down the nearest McDonalds,  perfect example of leftist logic.

I watched reports earlier in the day and they found that a lot of people weren't even from the area. I wouldn't doubt it but the people burning cars and buildings don't give a rats ass about the shooting of Brown.


Jeffrick
High Level DonorRational VIP!SuperfanGold Member
Jeffrick's picture
Posts: 2446
Joined: 2008-03-25
User is offlineOffline
Agreed

digitalbeachbum wrote:

Beyond Saving wrote:

ProzacDeathWish wrote:

  Now the outraged blacks are employing that special brand of African American justice by buring their own city down.  I wish I had access to an F-4 loaded with napalm to show my solidarity.

Yeah, WTF, I can join in with anti cop sentiment, but what good does burning your own city down? Next they will want a law requiring businesses to build in their area when every franchise with any sense rebuilds elsewhere. Cops are evil therefore burn down the nearest McDonalds,  perfect example of leftist logic.

I watched reports earlier in the day and they found that a lot of people weren't even from the area. I wouldn't doubt it but the people burning cars and buildings don't give a rats ass about the shooting of Brown.

I agree Digital, earlier news reports (since summer) clearly showed non-residents arriving to take part in the riots. The locals were volunteering to clean up the mess. I'm reminded of a sci-fi short story I read [from well over 60 years ago] about "flash mobs" who beamed in on Star Trek type transporters to potential hot spots for the fun and organized looting. That writer also predicted cable News and hovering cameras' and what sounded like internet cult personalitys. Can anyone here help me remember who that far sighted writer was, personally I'm thinking Heinlin, Clarke or Asimov.

"Very funny Scotty; now beam down our clothes."

VEGETARIAN: Ancient Hindu word for "lousy hunter"

If man was formed from dirt, why is there still dirt?


digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
digitalbeachbum's picture
Posts: 4856
Joined: 2007-10-15
User is offlineOffline
Jeffrick

Jeffrick wrote:
digitalbeachbum wrote:

Beyond Saving wrote:

ProzacDeathWish wrote:

  Now the outraged blacks are employing that special brand of African American justice by buring their own city down.  I wish I had access to an F-4 loaded with napalm to show my solidarity.

Yeah, WTF, I can join in with anti cop sentiment, but what good does burning your own city down? Next they will want a law requiring businesses to build in their area when every franchise with any sense rebuilds elsewhere. Cops are evil therefore burn down the nearest McDonalds,  perfect example of leftist logic.

I watched reports earlier in the day and they found that a lot of people weren't even from the area. I wouldn't doubt it but the people burning cars and buildings don't give a rats ass about the shooting of Brown.

I agree Digital, earlier news reports (since summer) clearly showed non-residents arriving to take part in the riots. The locals were volunteering to clean up the mess. I'm reminded of a sci-fi short story I read [from well over 60 years ago] about "flash mobs" who beamed in on Star Trek type transporters to potential hot spots for the fun and organized looting. That writer also predicted cable News and hovering cameras' and what sounded like internet cult personalitys. Can anyone here help me remember who that far sighted writer was, personally I'm thinking Heinlin, Clarke or Asimov.

I heard reports this afternoon that fire departments could not put out fires because people were randomly shooting at them?

WTF? Several residents interviewed were out of work because their shop burned down.

However, I found it funny that the car dealership near by had their entire front row of cars burned. I wonder if they knew this might happened and moved all the really nice cars in to the back or in to the shop. The cars up front might have been the crap cars but insurance wouldn't know any different.


EXC
atheist
EXC's picture
Posts: 3747
Joined: 2008-01-17
User is offlineOffline
Yet again the lovers of 

Yet again the lovers of  big government are proven wrong.

 

Where is the public police force when the shop owners needed them most? If they had there own private security, they'd still have their stores. If the private security guards ran off the job as the police did in Fergeson, they could sue their company for damages. Instead, the politicians keep their jobs and the police unions keep their pensions, they sucker taxpayers pay for all the damage.

 

Meanwhile the irrational continue to believe that if someone is working in the public sector, they don't have any greedy or self centered motives, only private sector workers and owners can be greedy. If one has their payroll done by government, somehow their self-preserving DNA is magically turned off and they just want to serve everyone but themselves.

Taxation is the price we pay for failing to build a civilized society. The higher the tax level, the greater the failure. A centrally planned totalitarian state represents a complete defeat for the civilized world, while a totally voluntary society represents its ultimate success. --Mark Skousen


butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
Posts: 3945
Joined: 2008-09-12
User is offlineOffline
http://www.cnn.com/2014/11/29

http://www.cnn.com/2014/11/29/us/ferguson-protests/

Quote:
"I, Darren Wilson, hereby resign my commission as a police officer with the City of Ferguson effective immediately. I have been told that my continued employment may put the residents and police officers of the City of Ferguson at risk, which is a circumstance that I cannot allow.

"For obvious reasons, I wanted to wait until the grand jury made their decision before I officially made my decision to resign. It was my hope to continue in police work, but the safety of other police officers and the community are of paramount importance to me. It is my hope that my resignation will allow the community to heal. I would like to thank all of my supporters and fellow officers throughout this process."

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, | As I foretold you, were all spirits, and | Are melted into air, into thin air; | And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, | The cloud-capped towers, the gorgeous palaces, | The solemn temples, the great globe itself, - Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve, | And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, | Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff | As dreams are made on, and our little life | Is rounded with a sleep. - Shakespeare


Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
Posts: 15572
Joined: 2006-02-14
User is offlineOffline
 I stayed out of this

 I stayed out of this thread since it was posted here because I have been dealing with this subject since it this all happened. 

I can handle the economic crap with you guys. I can also handle the fake protection of religion as if it should never be questioned.

None of you have any clue as to why history keeps repeating itself. Over simplying a long term problem to placing blame  because it is much easier to do that than to actually listen to those directly affected by these repeated events.

You want to blindly back Wilson up? You say he is being unfarely targeted? Good, think about that feeling because that is what blacks go through on a much bigger scale at a higher frequency than Wilson or any of us, regardless of guilt or innocence.

I was a dumb teen myself. I smoked pot, drank beer under age. One night my "friends" and I went smashing cars with bricks for fun. Our damage made the local paper. Another party I had in my basement we were drinking and smoking pot and doing acid. A girl got beat up in my back yard. Another time I had a full size replica 38 cap gun, no red nose, no way to tell it was not real. Someone called the cops on me, cop drew his gun on me. I did not end up dead. Saw friends shoplift too. Seen plenty of fights worse than a mere shove, on my street, in highschool and at bars and frat parties.

This isn't about Brown's parents giving birth to him just to say "Hey we think it is a good idea if you assault a cop". This isn't about other blacks saying "yes we love it when you take a few and paint us all the same". Lots of outrage over the pumpkin festival wasn't there? How about after a college football loss or pro hockey game?

 

Now you feel sorry for Wilson? Lets go with the narrative he didn't do wrong and run with that for a second. He according many, had to lose his job out of fear for other officers, himself and his family. From now on he will have to look over his shoulder and wonder what people think. THAT is what blacks feel every day regardless of innocence or guilt. This is not about Brown, this is about how economics and fear lead our system to judge much more harsly and to a greater degree one segment of the population more than others.

Otherwise when I assaulted the cop I did, she would have had the right to shoot me and I was unarmed as well.

 

 

 

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under BrianJames Rational Poet also on twitter under Brianrrs37


digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
digitalbeachbum's picture
Posts: 4856
Joined: 2007-10-15
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:None of you

Brian37 wrote:

None of you have any clue as to why history keeps repeating itself.

Now you feel sorry for Wilson?

 

1) You assume too much. "None of you have any clue..." is a terrible assumption. Please prove your statement.

2) You assume too much. "Now you feel sorry for Wilson." is another terrible assumption. Please prove your statement.

 

I do know why history keeps repeating itself.

I don't feel sorry for Wilson.

 


Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
Posts: 15572
Joined: 2006-02-14
User is offlineOffline
digitalbeachbum

digitalbeachbum wrote:

Brian37 wrote:

None of you have any clue as to why history keeps repeating itself.

Now you feel sorry for Wilson?

 

1) You assume too much. "None of you have any clue..." is a terrible assumption. Please prove your statement.

2) You assume too much. "Now you feel sorry for Wilson." is another terrible assumption. Please prove your statement.

 

I do know why history keeps repeating itself.

I don't feel sorry for Wilson.

 

 

Digital, you have actually out of everyone on every subject have merely posted stories. This was not aimed personally at you. And even out of the divisions that are clear on this board, this was aimed at a general audience. I have seen the same narratives on other boards long before this post that reflect the same general attitude.

This was a post I made on another board. I hope it sums up what Furguson protestors, Treyvon protestors and tons prior understand. It isn't about advocating violence or lawlessness. 

 

Brian37 wrote:
I am not going to go as far as saying Wilson was intentionally lying. I do think he is full of shit, if he says he was afraid. No sane person who is supposedly trained to asses danger is going to verbally or physically confront someone while at a tactical disadvantage. Maybe you can argue he was afraid after the struggle started, but lying or simply delusional, he could not have been afraid when he first pulled up.


REGARDLESS the system is flawed and it still boils down to humans and flawed perception. If one wants to argue Wilson's fear, it still would not mean that his view of reality during the moment was accurate.

The same flawed perceptions cause people to create gods, see butterflies in inkblots, images in toast. ECT ECT ECT. Human's flawed perceptions are also why Palestine and Israel cannot find solutions to peace which both claim they want.

NOW lets establish some common ground.

1. We all want cops to make it home safely.

2. We do not think criminals should get away with whatever they want.

3. No one likes race being the issue.


So why does race still persist as an issue? Not because all who side with Wilson are racists. But because there IS a systemic willful ignorance or unintentional unawareness that blacks ON AVERAGE are judged more harshly while innocent or guilty. 

Blacks do not want to support lawlessness or crime. Blacks do not hate all cops. Blacks do not want welfare. Blacks do not want special rights or a free ride. I am 48 years old. Yes race religions HAS gotten better by comparison to when I was a kid. 

So why does it seem to some that NFL players or Brown's parents SEEM to be supporting the idea of no accountability? It seems to some that way because of their refusal to stop judging and listen. If it were as simple as "blame blame blame", the ongoing race problem would have ended a long time ago.

Now lets do a thought experiment here.

"Wilson is innocent" ok, lets run with that for argument's sake.
"You were not there don't judge him", again, ok lets run with that for a second.

The narrative of "innocent" now that the trial is over puts this officer in the position of leaving his job because he now has to fear for his own safety, and can work without risking the safety of the other officers. And on top that is constantly going to have to look over his shoulders and wonder what someone thinks of him, or wonder what someone might do to him.


THINK ABOUT THAT AND LET IT SOAK IN. BECAUSE the judgment of blacks that has been going on forever, is the exact same feeling you are feeling in support of Wilson.

BLACKS ON AVERAGE are judged more harshly by society regardless of innocence or guilt.

Now if everyone wants this to stop. Instead of judging Brown's parents, maybe you should extend the same ear to them that you say Wilson should get. Do not over simplify it with "he shouldn't have resisted".

i was high and drunk one night when I went out and smashed cars with my "friends". The damage made local newspapers. I had a party in my basement with pot and under age drinking and a girl got beat up that night. I helped some guys steal pot from a guy's back yard. I assaulted a cop once myself. I had a full sized replica model cap gun, playing with it, cop showed up, drew his gun on me, I did not end up dead.

If cops had shown up to those events, my mom would have let me rot in jail, she still would visit me and love me. But even with that neither she or I ever had to worry about injury or death by cop.

NOW if everyone is going to say no one wants this AND NO ONE DOES. Then stop shouting 'BLAME" and stop repeating the same stupid crap of sticking your fingers in your ears because it makes you uncomfortable to face an ugly truth.

 

 

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under BrianJames Rational Poet also on twitter under Brianrrs37


butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
Posts: 3945
Joined: 2008-09-12
User is offlineOffline
Brian, would it be safe for

Brian, would it be safe for me to assume that you are simply defending those who are peacefully protesting general police discrimination? You are also casting light on law abiding citizens whom are victims of discrimination, correct?

On the flip side, you don't defend those who are currently screaming, "Omg, injustice! Let's go loot and vandalize some businesses."? Hopefully, you are also ignoring the crowd that describes this incident as police murder and Michael Brown as a "gentle giant," when they were neither present during the incident nor knew Michael Brown or Wilson nor care that the grand jury with three African Americans on it has already voted not to indict after reviewing all of the evidence and witness statements?

 

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, | As I foretold you, were all spirits, and | Are melted into air, into thin air; | And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, | The cloud-capped towers, the gorgeous palaces, | The solemn temples, the great globe itself, - Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve, | And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, | Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff | As dreams are made on, and our little life | Is rounded with a sleep. - Shakespeare


digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
digitalbeachbum's picture
Posts: 4856
Joined: 2007-10-15
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote: this was

Brian37 wrote:

this was aimed at a general audience. 

I am not going to go as far as saying Wilson was intentionally lying. I do think he is full of shit, if he says he was afraid. No sane pe

You mean specific audience.

Also I think parts of Wilson's story is bullshit. It was his unchecked ego as well Micheal Brown's unchecked ego which ballooned in to this entire cluster fuck of a protest. These people are protesting by the way, they are rioting. Protesting is completely different. I believe what Charles Barkley said was dead on. These people burning Ferguson are scumbags.

Going back to Wilson's story, I believe pretty much every thing he said up to the point where he chased the guy off. I believe that after Brown ran (which he ran because he was scared) transferred power to Wilson's ego which then took over and blinded him. The ending of the entire situation was not needed. He was no longer in a threatening situation. He had control over Micheal Brown. He could have ended this with out shooting him again.

To bring up another issue with recent black men/boys dying at the hands of police.

The guy selling cigarettes was choked and while he was fat, obese, out of shape, bad heart, etc, he could have been taken in with out conflict. I mean, come on... TEN FUCKING COPS were there. Really? For selling untaxed cigarettes? bs.

Then you got the kid in Cleveland who, along with his parents, are just as much to blame. He has a weapon which looks like a real lethal weapon and the cops pull up and shoot the kid who later dies. Did he need to die? No. Did the cops screw up? Yep. What cop drives up on the grass and then exposes his partner to the 'suspect' who if he was a real killer would have shot at least one cop to death before he got out of the car. When approaching a perp you turn the car so the front of it is directed at the perp. Both cops then can use the doors for protection. They also didn't need to go driving up on the lawn like Rambo. There was no need for it. The 911 caller did not say he was shooting people. They did not say any one was in danger.

In San Francisco there was a transit cop who claimed to be pulling out his taser and then shot the black man to death. It could have been avoided.

All of these scenarios are EGO driven. If people would learn to control their ego this shit wouldn't happen.


Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
Posts: 5402
Joined: 2007-10-12
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote: Blacks do

Brian37 wrote:

 

Blacks do not want to support lawlessness or crime. Blacks do not hate all cops. Blacks do not want welfare. Blacks do not want special rights or a free ride. I am 48 years old. Yes race religions HAS gotten better by comparison to when I was a kid. 
 Isn't assuming what a person thinks on the basis of their skin color racist by definition?

 

If, if a white man puts his arm around me voluntarily, that's brotherhood. But if you - if you hold a gun on him and make him embrace me and pretend to be friendly or brotherly toward me, then that's not brotherhood, that's hypocrisy.- Malcolm X


Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
Posts: 15572
Joined: 2006-02-14
User is offlineOffline
butterbattle wrote:Brian,

butterbattle wrote:

Brian, would it be safe for me to assume that you are simply defending those who are peacefully protesting general police discrimination? You are also casting light on law abiding citizens whom are victims of discrimination, correct?

On the flip side, you don't defend those who are currently screaming, "Omg, injustice! Let's go loot and vandalize some businesses."? Hopefully, you are also ignoring the crowd that describes this incident as police murder and Michael Brown as a "gentle giant," when they were neither present during the incident nor knew Michael Brown or Wilson nor care that the grand jury with three African Americans on it has already voted not to indict after reviewing all of the evidence and witness statements?

 

Holy crap. 

You will not get Brown's parents to claim that when he was born, their goal was to say "do stupid shit and resist cops"

I did stupid shit as  teen. I am not big guy or Barny bad ass. I have in my life seen guys his size fight each other and do stupid shit. I have witnessed shoplifting. I have witnessed phyisical assaults far worse than a mere shove. I was part of destruction of property where a bunch of middle class metal heads one night decided to go smash cars for "fun". That damage made our local paper.

Back in the 80s I had toy cap guns that eventually got banned that were EXACT replicas of the real thing no red nose or anything denoting the difference. One day I was outside shooting my cap gun, not sure if it was the 38 or the Glock. Someone rightfully called the cops. Cop showed up, drew his gun on me. I didnt end up dead.

Another time I was pulled over for speeding. I did not comply. I was pissed because I was not feeling well left work on my way to get care. Cop walks up to my window, she asks me for ID, not thinking and in a bad mood, I quickly reached for my wallet and threw it at her, hit her right in the chest.  All I got was a disorderly conduct charge.

 

If the rate of death of unarmed whites vs unarmed blacks were even, one could claim blacks are bitching for no reason.

 

 

 

 

 

 

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under BrianJames Rational Poet also on twitter under Brianrrs37


Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
Posts: 5402
Joined: 2007-10-12
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote: If the rate

Brian37 wrote:

 

If the rate of death of unarmed whites vs unarmed blacks were even, one could claim blacks are bitching for no reason.

 

Selective media hype aside, you are aware that more whites are shot by police every year than any other race? They account for 42% of people who die in police custody or confrontations. Blacks account for 30%. As far as number of arrests, blacks account for 28%- so those facts indicate that skin color is not a significant factor in whether or not a police encounter is deadly. It is true that blacks have more encounters with police, which leads to a disproportionate number of shootings compared to the population at large. Blacks also have a wildly disproportionate crime rate. But once an arrest is initiated, race doesn't appear to be a factor. At that point, the odds of a cop killing you are about 1 in 12,500.

If, if a white man puts his arm around me voluntarily, that's brotherhood. But if you - if you hold a gun on him and make him embrace me and pretend to be friendly or brotherly toward me, then that's not brotherhood, that's hypocrisy.- Malcolm X


butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
Posts: 3945
Joined: 2008-09-12
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:You will not

Brian37 wrote:
You will not get Brown's parents to claim that when he was born, their goal was to say "do stupid shit and resist cops"

That...seems pretty reasonable. I also doubt I could get Brown's parents to claim that.

Quote:
I did stupid shit as  teen. I am not big guy or Barny bad ass. I have in my life seen guys his size fight each other and do stupid shit. I have witnessed shoplifting. I have witnessed phyisical assaults far worse than a mere shove. I was part of destruction of property where a bunch of middle class metal heads one night decided to go smash cars for "fun". That damage made our local paper.

Back in the 80s I had toy cap guns that eventually got banned that were EXACT replicas of the real thing no red nose or anything denoting the difference. One day I was outside shooting my cap gun, not sure if it was the 38 or the Glock. Someone rightfully called the cops. Cop showed up, drew his gun on me. I didnt end up dead.

Another time I was pulled over for speeding. I did not comply. I was pissed because I was not feeling well left work on my way to get care. Cop walks up to my window, she asks me for ID, not thinking and in a bad mood, I quickly reached for my wallet and threw it at her, hit her right in the chest.  All I got was a disorderly conduct charge.

Okay, so you did a lot of stupid stuff...

I'd like to respond, except I don't understand where we're not connecting. You quoted me and seem to disagree with me (?), but I don't see where you actually answered any of my questions or addressed anything I said.  

Are you implying that if you had been black, you would not have gotten away with all those things you did when you were younger? That's.....possible, but we don't know either way. That's anecdotal and hypothetical.

Quote:
If the rate of death of unarmed whites vs unarmed blacks were even, one could claim blacks are bitching for no reason.

Ah, now we're getting somewhere. 

It's possible for police officers to discriminate against African Americans, just not to the extent of being more likely to shoot them. So, working with those assumptions, black people would still have a good reason to bitch. 

You're saying the rate of death of unarmed caucasions vs blacks are not even. That's a good place to start. What are their death rates? Beyond Saving says they ARE even, but he didn't include a link in his post. Do you have a source?

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, | As I foretold you, were all spirits, and | Are melted into air, into thin air; | And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, | The cloud-capped towers, the gorgeous palaces, | The solemn temples, the great globe itself, - Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve, | And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, | Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff | As dreams are made on, and our little life | Is rounded with a sleep. - Shakespeare


iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
Posts: 4196
Joined: 2008-03-23
User is offlineOffline
butterbattle wrote:You

butterbattle wrote:
You quoted me and seem to disagree with me (?), but I don't see where you actually answered any of my questions or addressed anything I said.



lol welcome to brian's style of argument.

"I have never felt comfortable around people who talk about their feelings for Jesus, or any other deity for that matter, because they are usually none too bright. . . . Or maybe 'stupid' is a better way of saying it; but I have never seen much point in getting heavy with either stupid people or Jesus freaks, just as long as they don't bother me. In a world as weird and cruel as this one we have made for ourselves, I figure anybody who can find peace and personal happiness without ripping off somebody else deserves to be left alone. They will not inherit the earth, but then neither will I. . . . And I have learned to live, as it were, with the idea that I will never find peace and happiness, either. But as long as I know there's a pretty good chance I can get my hands on either one of them every once in a while, I do the best I can between high spots."
--Hunter S. Thompson


Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
Posts: 5402
Joined: 2007-10-12
User is offlineOffline
butterbattle wrote:What are

butterbattle wrote:

What are their death rates? Beyond Saving says they ARE even, but he didn't include a link in his post. Do you have a source?

www.nbcnews.com/id/21255937/ns/us_news-crime_and_courts/t/study-died-police-custody-over-years/#.VIJBUYvF9CQ

This is a smaller study than the one I was referring to, but the results are similar. I think I linked to the large one that covered about 10 years worth of data last time we talked about Brown and Brian ran away from the thread as soon as I started linking complicated sources. 

www.rationalresponders.com/forum/34670

 

The rate of arrests are at

www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/ucr/crime-in-the-u.s/2011/crime-in-the-u.s.-2011/tables/table-43

(hispanics and latinos are lumped in with "white" in the fbi report.)

If, if a white man puts his arm around me voluntarily, that's brotherhood. But if you - if you hold a gun on him and make him embrace me and pretend to be friendly or brotherly toward me, then that's not brotherhood, that's hypocrisy.- Malcolm X


digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
digitalbeachbum's picture
Posts: 4856
Joined: 2007-10-15
User is offlineOffline
iwbiek wrote:butterbattle

iwbiek wrote:
butterbattle wrote:
You quoted me and seem to disagree with me (?), but I don't see where you actually answered any of my questions or addressed anything I said.

lol welcome to brian's style of argument.

lol


digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
digitalbeachbum's picture
Posts: 4856
Joined: 2007-10-15
User is offlineOffline
Beyond Saving

Beyond Saving wrote:

butterbattle wrote:

What are their death rates? Beyond Saving says they ARE even, but he didn't include a link in his post. Do you have a source?

www.nbcnews.com/id/21255937/ns/us_news-crime_and_courts/t/study-died-police-custody-over-years/#.VIJBUYvF9CQ

This is a smaller study than the one I was referring to, but the results are similar. I think I linked to the large one that covered about 10 years worth of data last time we talked about Brown and Brian ran away from the thread as soon as I started linking complicated sources. 

www.rationalresponders.com/forum/34670

 

The rate of arrests are at

www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/ucr/crime-in-the-u.s/2011/crime-in-the-u.s.-2011/tables/table-43

(hispanics and latinos are lumped in with "white" in the fbi report.)

Do you think the numbers are off at all?


butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
Posts: 3945
Joined: 2008-09-12
User is offlineOffline
Sweet.Beyond Saving

Sweet.

Okay, so more white men died in custody than black men according to this.

It doesn't mention the ratio of white to black deaths when they are killed by law enforcement, but it does highlight that blacks are disproportionately represented in accidental deaths. Lol, interesting. 

Beyond Saving wrote:
This is a smaller study than the one I was referring to, but the results are similar. I think I linked to the large one that covered about 10 years worth of data last time we talked about Brown and Brian ran away from the thread as soon as I started linking complicated sources. 

www.rationalresponders.com/forum/34670

Oh, heh, I even commented in that thread. I think I just glossed over most of the posts.

Beyond Saving wrote:
www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/ucr/crime-in-the-u.s/2011/crime-in-the-u.s.-2011/tables/table-43

(hispanics and latinos are lumped in with "white" in the fbi report.)

Awww, but then I can't do a direct comparison. Well......they're different studies done for different years, so I guess I shouldn't correlate them anyways.

Black minors commit a lot of violent crimes..... 

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, | As I foretold you, were all spirits, and | Are melted into air, into thin air; | And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, | The cloud-capped towers, the gorgeous palaces, | The solemn temples, the great globe itself, - Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve, | And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, | Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff | As dreams are made on, and our little life | Is rounded with a sleep. - Shakespeare


Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
Posts: 5402
Joined: 2007-10-12
User is offlineOffline
butterbattle

butterbattle wrote:

Sweet.

Okay, so more white men died in custody than black men according to this.

It doesn't mention the ratio of white to black deaths when they are killed by law enforcement, but it does highlight that blacks are disproportionately represented in accidental deaths. Lol, interesting. 

www.bjs.gov/content/pub/pdf/ard0309st.pdf

This report breaks down custody deaths by type on page 6 of the pdf.  I was just looking it over again and on page 11 they include the total number of arrests by race in the jurisdictions that participated on page 11. Blacks accounted for 27.8% of arrests and 31.8% of all deaths, 31.7% of deaths labled as "homocide". 

The most stark difference between blacks and whites is that blacks account for significantly fewer suicide rates. Perhaps cops watch blacks in custody closer? Or is it just all the white guilt from being dirty rotten racists that makes them more suicidal?

If, if a white man puts his arm around me voluntarily, that's brotherhood. But if you - if you hold a gun on him and make him embrace me and pretend to be friendly or brotherly toward me, then that's not brotherhood, that's hypocrisy.- Malcolm X


Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
Posts: 5402
Joined: 2007-10-12
User is offlineOffline
digitalbeachbum wrote:Do you

digitalbeachbum wrote:

Do you think the numbers are off at all?

I think it is a decent enough sampling. It is over 17,000 jurisdictions and seems to be a good mix. However, since the reporting is voluntary, I guess it is possible that racist jurisdictions know they are racist and so decide not to report. But I think such an accusation would require some kind of evidence. 

If, if a white man puts his arm around me voluntarily, that's brotherhood. But if you - if you hold a gun on him and make him embrace me and pretend to be friendly or brotherly toward me, then that's not brotherhood, that's hypocrisy.- Malcolm X


digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
digitalbeachbum's picture
Posts: 4856
Joined: 2007-10-15
User is offlineOffline
Beyond Saving wrote:

Beyond Saving wrote:

digitalbeachbum wrote:

Do you think the numbers are off at all?

I think it is a decent enough sampling. It is over 17,000 jurisdictions and seems to be a good mix. However, since the reporting is voluntary, I guess it is possible that racist jurisdictions know they are racist and so decide not to report. But I think such an accusation would require some kind of evidence. 

That is what I had heard previously about these reports. It is all voluntary, plus they can fudge their own numbers. I would at least need to consider this as a possibility.

 


butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
Posts: 3945
Joined: 2008-09-12
User is offlineOffline
Beyond Saving

Beyond Saving wrote:

www.bjs.gov/content/pub/pdf/ard0309st.pdf

This report breaks down custody deaths by type on page 6 of the pdf.  I was just looking it over again and on page 11 they include the total number of arrests by race in the jurisdictions that participated on page 11. Blacks accounted for 27.8% of arrests and 31.8% of all deaths, 31.7% of deaths labled as "homocide".

 

Yeah, this certainly doesn't support the claim that police officers kill a lot of black people. The percentages for homicide almost perfectly match the percentages of overall deaths. 42.1-41.7 and 31.8-31.7. In this, black people are only more likely to die in a car accident while running from the police while they're drunk (lol), as already pointed out by the other source. 

Hmm, on table 12, the columns don't match since they lumped hispanics in with whites again.

Beyond Saving wrote:
The most stark difference between blacks and whites is that blacks account for significantly fewer suicide rates. Perhaps cops watch blacks in custody closer? Or is it just all the white guilt from being dirty rotten racists that makes them more suicidal?

Or, black people are more evil. They don't feel feel the need to commit suicide because they don't feel any guilt. 

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, | As I foretold you, were all spirits, and | Are melted into air, into thin air; | And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, | The cloud-capped towers, the gorgeous palaces, | The solemn temples, the great globe itself, - Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve, | And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, | Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff | As dreams are made on, and our little life | Is rounded with a sleep. - Shakespeare


Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
Posts: 15572
Joined: 2006-02-14
User is offlineOffline
Beyond Saving

Beyond Saving wrote:

ProzacDeathWish wrote:

  Now the outraged blacks are employing that special brand of African American justice by buring their own city down.  I wish I had access to an F-4 loaded with napalm to show my solidarity.

Yeah, WTF, I can join in with anti cop sentiment, but what good does burning your own city down? Next they will want a law requiring businesses to build in their area when every franchise with any sense rebuilds elsewhere. Cops are evil therefore burn down the nearest McDonalds,  perfect example of leftist logic.

Yes lets equate the few as being the entire community. Forget all the blacks telling other blacks not to do that. And of course Obama was secretly sending blacks the message to riot more becuase he sank the Titanic too. 

Forget about the Pumpkin festival and that drunk riot. That must mean all white people riot too.

Your simplistic crap plauges everything you argue. And all of it at it's core is the same. Blame everyone else because that is easier to do than listen.

You, "They want to rob me"

You, "Me me me mine mine mine"

You, "It is tyranny if I don't get what I want"

 

Instead of doing what you always do in blaming workers and the poor, how about shutting up, stop your classest judmental crap and try listening. 

 

It is not a conspiracy against you like you want to make it out to be. You live in a bubble and merely don't like an ugly truth pointed out to you.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under BrianJames Rational Poet also on twitter under Brianrrs37


Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
Posts: 5402
Joined: 2007-10-12
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:Beyond Saving

Brian37 wrote:

Beyond Saving wrote:

ProzacDeathWish wrote:

  Now the outraged blacks are employing that special brand of African American justice by buring their own city down.  I wish I had access to an F-4 loaded with napalm to show my solidarity.

Yeah, WTF, I can join in with anti cop sentiment, but what good does burning your own city down? Next they will want a law requiring businesses to build in their area when every franchise with any sense rebuilds elsewhere. Cops are evil therefore burn down the nearest McDonalds,  perfect example of leftist logic.

Yes lets equate the few as being the entire community. Forget all the blacks telling other blacks not to do that. And of course Obama was secretly sending blacks the message to riot more becuase he sank the Titanic too. 

Forget about the Pumpkin festival and that drunk riot. That must mean all white people riot too.

Your simplistic crap plauges everything you argue. And all of it at it's core is the same. Blame everyone else because that is easier to do than listen.

You, "They want to rob me"

You, "Me me me mine mine mine"

You, "It is tyranny if I don't get what I want"

 

Instead of doing what you always do in blaming workers and the poor, how about shutting up, stop your classest judmental crap and try listening. 

 

It is not a conspiracy against you like you want to make it out to be. You live in a bubble and merely don't like an ugly truth pointed out to you.

Where did I say anything about "all blacks". As usual you argue against a strawman to ignore the conversation.

If, if a white man puts his arm around me voluntarily, that's brotherhood. But if you - if you hold a gun on him and make him embrace me and pretend to be friendly or brotherly toward me, then that's not brotherhood, that's hypocrisy.- Malcolm X


Vastet
atheistBloggerHigh Level ModeratorSuperfan
Vastet's picture
Posts: 13017
Joined: 2006-12-25
User is offlineOffline
Beyond Saving

Beyond Saving wrote:

ProzacDeathWish wrote:

  Now the outraged blacks are employing that special brand of African American justice by buring their own city down.  I wish I had access to an F-4 loaded with napalm to show my solidarity.

Yeah, WTF, I can join in with anti cop sentiment, but what good does burning your own city down? Next they will want a law requiring businesses to build in their area when every franchise with any sense rebuilds elsewhere. Cops are evil therefore burn down the nearest McDonalds,  perfect example of leftist logic.

Riots are generally similar regardless of the politics or purpose. I don't, for one second, believe that the activities can truly be described as the fault of leftist thinking.

It is really a palestine-israel type issue, just on a smaller scale. When a group of people feel marginalised and powerless, this is the result. It doesn't matter what colour the skin is or what god is or isn't worshipped or what political agency can most effectively be identified at work. It is basic human psychology.

Proud Canadian, Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.


Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
Posts: 5402
Joined: 2007-10-12
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote:Beyond Saving

Vastet wrote:
Beyond Saving wrote:

ProzacDeathWish wrote:

  Now the outraged blacks are employing that special brand of African American justice by buring their own city down.  I wish I had access to an F-4 loaded with napalm to show my solidarity.

Yeah, WTF, I can join in with anti cop sentiment, but what good does burning your own city down? Next they will want a law requiring businesses to build in their area when every franchise with any sense rebuilds elsewhere. Cops are evil therefore burn down the nearest McDonalds,  perfect example of leftist logic.

Riots are generally similar regardless of the politics or purpose. I don't, for one second, believe that the activities can truly be described as the fault of leftist thinking. It is really a palestine-israel type issue, just on a smaller scale. When a group of people feel marginalised and powerless, this is the result. It doesn't matter what colour the skin is or what god is or isn't worshipped or what political agency can most effectively be identified at work. It is basic human psychology.

Of course it is leftist, American right wing riots are as entertaining as a PTA meeting.

If, if a white man puts his arm around me voluntarily, that's brotherhood. But if you - if you hold a gun on him and make him embrace me and pretend to be friendly or brotherly toward me, then that's not brotherhood, that's hypocrisy.- Malcolm X


Vastet
atheistBloggerHigh Level ModeratorSuperfan
Vastet's picture
Posts: 13017
Joined: 2006-12-25
User is offlineOffline
Bullshit. Protests at

Bullshit. Protests at abortion clinics which often explode, protests at funerals. The right is just as grandiose at riot-like behaviour as the left

Proud Canadian, Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.