OP/ED Bullying vs merely getting offended.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
Posts: 15738
Joined: 2006-02-14
User is offlineOffline
OP/ED Bullying vs merely getting offended.

 OP/ED........A huge issue I have with my fellow liberals as well intended as they are in fighting bigotry, is not knowing the difference between getting offended and bullying. I have had this conversation over the years with many people, both left and right. Now Serena Williams claimed that she was being bullied because of some stupid comment being called "Williams brothers"?

 Bulling isn't merely getting offended. Bullying is when you are in an environment you cannot leave, like school or a workplace you have to be at when people repeatedly harass you. Bullying is when you are a minority anywhere in the world and that majority uses laws and violence to oppress you. In the west merely being picked on or even offensive comments, when you have the power and are rich enough to say "Stop being a dick" means you can fight back, and when you have that kind of power, you are NOT being bullied. Blacks being lynched and being forced to use separate schools were bullied. Christians in Iran being murdered by Isis are being bullied. A Pakistani woman may be put to death by the state for basphemy, THAT is being bullied. In the west especially with fame getting picked on and people saying mean things or offensive things comes with that fame, and when you have that big mike to respond you are as powerful as the person saying it which means you are NOT being bullied. I am an atheist, I get offended by believers calling me immoral and equating me to Stalin all the time and I am not even famous. But even with that I know the difference between getting offended and being bullied. I know atheists who have lost their jobs, been kicked out of their apartments and had their personal property destroyed. But in a mutual setting where I can leave a conversation, like facebook or twitter or block someone, I am not being bullied. Serena, I was bullied as a kid, I know what bullying is, but I am an adult now and know that people are going to offend me sometimes and say mean things about me sometimes. In a free society, sometimes you are going to hear others say offensive things. Just say "That offended me", but when you have the power you do, and don't claim you don't, you are NOT being bullied.

 

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under BrianJames Rational Poet also on twitter under Brianrrs37


Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
Posts: 15738
Joined: 2006-02-14
User is offlineOffline
 She really pissed me off

 She really pissed me off with that crap.  I grew up on a street full of boys who were bigger than me and stronger than me. I was sensitive and cried and was a dork who didn't fit in. One day I went to the basketball court and asked if I could join, they called me names and told me to fuck off and leave, I crossed the field and noticed my button on my jean jacket sleeve was unbuttoned, lifted my arm up to button it and one of the dicks thought I had flipped him off, next thing I know I have 6 bullies chasing me back to my house.

 I made it home frightened and winded. 2 hours later I get a phone call from a guy down the street who was not there who I thought was my "friend" asked me if I wanted to come over. Not sure the coast was clear but at the same time thinking they had given up, I took the back ally to his house. Just a block and a half down they ambushed me, surrounded me 6 on 1, knowing I was not a fighter, and one of those pricks punched me in the face and broke my nose. The got that "friend" to call me and flush me out of my house so they could ambush me. THAT is bullying. But here when we pick on religion or cuss people out, they are not being forced to be here. They can ask individuals to not do something, or they can go to other websites and bitch about what dicks we are here.  I take this shit personally because it really demeans my suffering and real suffering worldwide where others actions can get you arrested or murdered. Having someone pick on you when you have the option to say "fuck you" back, or leave, is not being bullied. 

 

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under BrianJames Rational Poet also on twitter under Brianrrs37


Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
Posts: 5448
Joined: 2007-10-12
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote: Bulling

Brian37 wrote:

 Bulling isn't merely getting offended. Bullying is when you are in an environment you cannot leave, like school or a workplace you have to be at when people repeatedly harass you. Bullying is when you are a minority anywhere in the world and that majority uses laws and violence to oppress you. In the west merely being picked on or even offensive comments, when you have the power and are rich enough to say "Stop being a dick" means you can fight back, and when you have that kind of power, you are NOT being bullied.
 So rich people don't have feelings and can't be bullied. Uh huh. 
Quote:
 Blacks being lynched and being forced to use separate schools were bullied. Christians in Iran being murdered by Isis are being bullied. A Pakistani woman may be put to death by the state for basphemy, THAT is being bullied.
 Holy goat fucking jesus. Lynching, genocide and murder are bullying?!?!? Wow. When I was in school, bullying amounted to name calling, some getting pushed around and having your lunch money stolen. Mostly name calling and it was real popular to announce that so and so has aids. Occasionally someone might get a bloody nose. Probably the worst form of bullying was the swirlie, but that very well might have been a legend. I never actually saw one in person until much later in life l attended a live sex show which featured one. Since it was all consensual, I don't think that counts. In my day, anything that ended with death or even a hospital visit was considered criminal, not bullying. 
Quote:
 In the west especially with fame getting picked on and people saying mean things or offensive things comes with that fame, and when you have that big mike to respond you are as powerful as the person saying it which means you are NOT being bullied.
 So fame nullifies bullying? If someone us a dishwasher and is made fun of for how they look or sound it is bullying, but if you are famous it isn't? Famous people are people too you know. They eat, shit and even have emotions just like anyone else.   
Quote:
  Serena, I was bullied as a kid, I know what bullying is, but I am an adult now and know that people are going to offend me sometimes and say mean things about me sometimes. In a free society, sometimes you are going to hear others say offensive things. Just say "That offended me", but when you have the power you do, and don't claim you don't, you are NOT being bullied.

 

You had your head chopped off as a kid? 

 

Regardless of what you want to call it, the guy has an influential position in the sport and treating any of the athletes with that kind of disrespect, especially in public, simply can't be accepted. 

If, if a white man puts his arm around me voluntarily, that's brotherhood. But if you - if you hold a gun on him and make him embrace me and pretend to be friendly or brotherly toward me, then that's not brotherhood, that's hypocrisy.- Malcolm X


Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
Posts: 5448
Joined: 2007-10-12
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote: She really

Brian37 wrote:

 She really pissed me off with that crap.  I grew up on a street full of boys who were bigger than me and stronger than me. I was sensitive and cried and was a dork who didn't fit in. One day I went to the basketball court and asked if I could join, they called me names and told me to fuck off and leave, I crossed the field and noticed my button on my jean jacket sleeve was unbuttoned, lifted my arm up to button it and one of the dicks thought I had flipped him off, next thing I know I have 6 bullies chasing me back to my house.

 I made it home frightened and winded. 2 hours later I get a phone call from a guy down the street who was not there who I thought was my "friend" asked me if I wanted to come over. Not sure the coast was clear but at the same time thinking they had given up, I took the back ally to his house. Just a block and a half down they ambushed me, surrounded me 6 on 1, knowing I was not a fighter, and one of those pricks punched me in the face and broke my nose. The got that "friend" to call me and flush me out of my house so they could ambush me. THAT is bullying. But here when we pick on religion or cuss people out, they are not being forced to be here. They can ask individuals to not do something, or they can go to other websites and bitch about what dicks we are here.  I take this shit personally because it really demeans my suffering and real suffering worldwide where others actions can get you arrested or murdered. Having someone pick on you when you have the option to say "fuck you" back, or leave, is not being bullied. 

 

 

Obviously, you weren't packing enough heat. The Glock 17 is great for taking out multiple hostiles. Why with only six, you should have at least 5 bullets left in you magazine without reloading unless you work for the police. In a world where bullies chop off heads, kids can't be too careful.

If, if a white man puts his arm around me voluntarily, that's brotherhood. But if you - if you hold a gun on him and make him embrace me and pretend to be friendly or brotherly toward me, then that's not brotherhood, that's hypocrisy.- Malcolm X


Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
Posts: 15738
Joined: 2006-02-14
User is offlineOffline
Beyond Saving wrote:Brian37

Beyond Saving wrote:

Brian37 wrote:

 Bulling isn't merely getting offended. Bullying is when you are in an environment you cannot leave, like school or a workplace you have to be at when people repeatedly harass you. Bullying is when you are a minority anywhere in the world and that majority uses laws and violence to oppress you. In the west merely being picked on or even offensive comments, when you have the power and are rich enough to say "Stop being a dick" means you can fight back, and when you have that kind of power, you are NOT being bullied.
 So rich people don't have feelings and can't be bullied. Uh huh. 
Quote:
 Blacks being lynched and being forced to use separate schools were bullied. Christians in Iran being murdered by Isis are being bullied. A Pakistani woman may be put to death by the state for basphemy, THAT is being bullied.
 Holy goat fucking jesus. Lynching, genocide and murder are bullying?!?!? Wow. When I was in school, bullying amounted to name calling, some getting pushed around and having your lunch money stolen. Mostly name calling and it was real popular to announce that so and so has aids. Occasionally someone might get a bloody nose. Probably the worst form of bullying was the swirlie, but that very well might have been a legend. I never actually saw one in person until much later in life l attended a live sex show which featured one. Since it was all consensual, I don't think that counts. In my day, anything that ended with death or even a hospital visit was considered criminal, not bullying. 
Quote:
 In the west especially with fame getting picked on and people saying mean things or offensive things comes with that fame, and when you have that big mike to respond you are as powerful as the person saying it which means you are NOT being bullied.
 So fame nullifies bullying? If someone us a dishwasher and is made fun of for how they look or sound it is bullying, but if you are famous it isn't? Famous people are people too you know. They eat, shit and even have emotions just like anyone else.   
Quote:
  Serena, I was bullied as a kid, I know what bullying is, but I am an adult now and know that people are going to offend me sometimes and say mean things about me sometimes. In a free society, sometimes you are going to hear others say offensive things. Just say "That offended me", but when you have the power you do, and don't claim you don't, you are NOT being bullied.

 

You had your head chopped off as a kid? 

 

Regardless of what you want to call it, the guy has an influential position in the sport and treating any of the athletes with that kind of disrespect, especially in public, simply can't be accepted. 

No crybaby, she was of equal relitive standing as him, he was not stepping on a no name. Yet you have no fucking problem calling Barrack Obama "Bama" so please do not give me fucking lectures about what bullying and merely being offended are.

I was fine with her calling him out as being  offensive. But she is rich herself, she has lots of fans and moral support to back her up. This isn't like being isolated with no one to help you. I was fine up untill she used the word "bully".

 

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under BrianJames Rational Poet also on twitter under Brianrrs37


Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
Posts: 5448
Joined: 2007-10-12
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:No crybaby,

Brian37 wrote:

No crybaby, she was of equal relitive standing as him, he was not stepping on a no name. Yet you have no fucking problem calling Barrack Obama "Bama" so please do not give me fucking lectures about what bullying and merely being offended are.

I was fine with her calling him out as being  offensive. But she is rich herself, she has lots of fans and moral support to back her up. This isn't like being isolated with no one to help you. I was fine up untill she used the word "bully".

Who is the one crying over Serena using the word 'bully'? Crying about being bullied as a kid. Certainly not me. And her use seems a lot closer than equating genocide, torture and murder to bullying. You can probably accuse her of being a hypocrite, because Serena is well known for being insulting and verbally abusive. Indeed, many have labled her a bully. Personally, I don't give a shit what you want to call it. A professional and public organization should always represent themselves professionally in public. Obviously, these comments weren't professional, the organization took disciplinary action, move on.

If I was representing some organization having some dealings with the President, I would be very respectful. Since I am just an internet loudmouth spouting my two cent opinions to random people, there is no need for me to be professional. Although, the term Bama is meant with all love, and if me and Bama were dodging bullets in Chi town together and sharing a toke & coke, I don't think he would be offended by it.

As for being a bully, maybe I am. You have certainly accused me of it and you are the expert. I don't remember killing anyone though.

If, if a white man puts his arm around me voluntarily, that's brotherhood. But if you - if you hold a gun on him and make him embrace me and pretend to be friendly or brotherly toward me, then that's not brotherhood, that's hypocrisy.- Malcolm X


Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
Posts: 15738
Joined: 2006-02-14
User is offlineOffline
 . It was an incorrect

 . It was an incorrect usage, having nothing to do with her right to call the guy a dick for what he said.

What Rush Limbauh did to Sandra Fluke was bullying. She was not famous until HE shot of his mouth and called her a slut, she did not have at the time a huge mike like he did. She would have had the right to call Rush a bully.  But she did not do that, even with her small status at the time she made the speech she basically said "bring it on". Backfired on his pill popping ass because now she is famous and a bigger advocate for women's reproductive rights than she would have been if he had not said that.

Yes , rich people do have feelings. Rich people are human being just like the rest of us. But there is a huge difference between being  jaded pricks like the Wal Mart family and Koch brothers who live in a bubble, and Serena Willaims who was well intended but wrong in using that word.

Like I said, I was fine with her responding to him, just not with the use of the word "bully".

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under BrianJames Rational Poet also on twitter under Brianrrs37


Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
Posts: 5448
Joined: 2007-10-12
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote: . It was an

Brian37 wrote:

 . It was an incorrect usage, having nothing to do with her right to call the guy a dick for what he said.

What Rush Limbauh did to Sandra Fluke was bullying. She was not famous until HE shot of his mouth and called her a slut, she did not have at the time a huge mike like he did. She would have had the right to call Rush a bully.  But she did not do that, even with her small status at the time she made the speech she basically said "bring it on". Backfired on his pill popping ass because now she is famous and a bigger advocate for women's reproductive rights than she would have been if he had not said that.

Seems to me that she had a much bigger mike as her comments were aired on every news channel while Rush has a few million regular listeners. I dare say that 99% of the reason Rush made his comments was out of hopes that it would stir up controversy to promote his show. He is after all a shock jock, controversy is what makes him money and he is a bully all the time. People listen to him because they enjoy listening to him make people the butt of jokes.

What I am missing is why Rush is being a bully, while Tarpischev is not. The only real difference I see is who the victim is. One is rich and famous and the other is not rich and less than famous. So you are saying that rich and famous people can't be bullied because they theoretically have enough money or fame to get on national television and refute their attackers publicly? Using that logic, a school kid couldn't possibly bully another school kid because the victim has the ability to respond exactly as publicly as the bully can attack. 

 

Quote:

Yes , rich people do have feelings. Rich people are human being just like the rest of us. But there is a huge difference between being  jaded pricks like the Wal Mart family and Koch brothers who live in a bubble, and Serena Willaims who was well intended but wrong in using that word.

WTF do the Koch brothers and the Waltons have to do with this?

 

Quote:

Like I said, I was fine with her responding to him, just not with the use of the word "bully".

Well that is too bad. She is going to use it whether you and I like it or not. She's a fucking bully!

If, if a white man puts his arm around me voluntarily, that's brotherhood. But if you - if you hold a gun on him and make him embrace me and pretend to be friendly or brotherly toward me, then that's not brotherhood, that's hypocrisy.- Malcolm X


ProzacDeathWish
atheist
ProzacDeathWish's picture
Posts: 4127
Joined: 2007-12-02
User is offlineOffline
Beyond Saving wrote:I dare

Beyond Saving wrote:
I dare say that 99% of the reason Rush made his comments was out of hopes that it would stir up controversy to promote his show. He is after all a shock jock, controversy is what makes him money and he is a bully all the time. People listen to him because they enjoy listening to him make people the butt of jokes.

 

 

 

  Limbaugh is a political pundit who expresses his personal views about current governmental / political events.   He is paid by his employers to do the exact same thing as George Will, Rachel Maddow, Chris Matthews, James Carville, etc.  They are all highly paid political commentators who elucidate with respect to their conservative / liberal POV.   If Limbaugh is a bully then so is every one else I just listed.  If there is any controversy it exists as a by-product.

 

    Howard Stern is a shock jock

Patrick is an edgy edgelord.


Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
Posts: 5448
Joined: 2007-10-12
User is offlineOffline
ProzacDeathWish wrote:Beyond

ProzacDeathWish wrote:

Beyond Saving wrote:
I dare say that 99% of the reason Rush made his comments was out of hopes that it would stir up controversy to promote his show. He is after all a shock jock, controversy is what makes him money and he is a bully all the time. People listen to him because they enjoy listening to him make people the butt of jokes.

 

 

 

  Limbaugh is a political pundit who expresses his personal views about current governmental / political events.   He is paid by his employers to do the exact same thing as George Will, Rachel Maddow, Chris Matthews, James Carville, etc.  They are all highly paid political commentators who elucidate with respect to their conservative / liberal POV.   If Limbaugh is a bully then so is every one else I just listed.  If there is any controversy it exists as a by-product.

 

    Howard Stern is a shock jock

Nonsense. Rush rarely expounds on any kind of deep political analysis. He talks about the news of the day in a way that pokes fun at the left from a conservative perspective. He was trolling before Al Gore invented the internet, saying the things that conservatives always thought would be fun to say but didn't want to offend.

From the early days of Paul Shanklin parodies and some of his brilliant update theme songs, I still find myself humming them from time to time (I don't remember, my brain is in a blender...it's Jello!) His whole "America held hostage" countdown etc. And he would frequently put stuff in a controversial way just to get media attention. He even had a phrase for it for awhile can't remember exactly what it was "Media poke of the day" or something like that. He'd say he was going to do it in advance and sure enough, it would be on Media Matters. In fact, I'm pretty sure he announced it right before his comments on the college ditz.

I'd put Chris Mathews in the same boat, except he is incapable of actually being funny. A failing of many in the left who try to emulate Rush's style. Without being funny, you are just an asshole. (Ed Schultz falls into the complete asshole category but I think he thinks he is funny) I wouldn't put George Will in that category, but George Will could also never pull off doing a solo show for an hour let alone three. Even policy wonks like me would be bored to tears. Don't know about Maddow, I've never actually watched anything other than a few youtube clips. Her voice annoys me.

I heard Carville substituting a show once and that was pretty in depth policy, but was also boring. But you can bet he is a bully, you don't make it as high as he did in politics if you aren't willing to push people around and pressure them to do what you want.You need to throw some intern under the bus to protect your candidate, you do it. That is just political hardball 101. 

But let's face it, real political analysis just doesn't make entertaining radio. Probably the only radio personality I heard really be successful with a political analysis radio show was Tony Snow. Neil Boortz used to pull it off to some extent, but he never stayed serious for terribly long. And there is some liberal guy that I've only heard while driving through Chicago who gets pretty deep into political theory, but his show is so successful I don't even remember his name. 

If you want thoughtful political commentary, writing is simply a much better medium. If you want some red meat, thrashing the other guys, making fun of them and delivering a one-sided beat down- radio is perfect. That the liberals take it all so seriously and get all offended just makes it funnier imo.   

If, if a white man puts his arm around me voluntarily, that's brotherhood. But if you - if you hold a gun on him and make him embrace me and pretend to be friendly or brotherly toward me, then that's not brotherhood, that's hypocrisy.- Malcolm X


ProzacDeathWish
atheist
ProzacDeathWish's picture
Posts: 4127
Joined: 2007-12-02
User is offlineOffline
Beyond Saving wrote:But

Beyond Saving wrote:

But let's face it, real political analysis just doesn't make entertaining radio. Probably the only radio personality I heard really be successful with a political analysis radio show was Tony Snow.   

 

      At first  I couldn't place Tony Snow so I Googled him.  I remember him now, though.  Forgot that he passed away in 2008.  Interesting ( as it relates to our exchange ) is that he guest-hosted for Rush as well regularly appearing on NPR and Fox News.

Patrick is an edgy edgelord.


iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
Posts: 4197
Joined: 2008-03-23
User is offlineOffline
incidentally (and i know you

incidentally (and i know you were being tongue-in-cheek, beyond, but i can never resist this), al gore never said he invented the fucking internet. he said something along the lies of "I took the initiative in inventing the internet," which, granted, was a bit grammatically vague, but the meaning was clear: he claimed to have put money and political clout behind the technology when no one else would. everyone who ever made that joke, from 2000 till today, knew goddamn well that's not what he meant. it's just a slightly more sophisticated version of he tactic we used in school when we wanted to get a rise out of someone we didn't like. they'd be trying to throw insults at us, or even explain what they wanted to say, and we'd just keep responding with shit like "what? you're a faggot? what's that? you like to suck dick?" etc. in fact, i guess brian kind of took a page from that manual.

"I have never felt comfortable around people who talk about their feelings for Jesus, or any other deity for that matter, because they are usually none too bright. . . . Or maybe 'stupid' is a better way of saying it; but I have never seen much point in getting heavy with either stupid people or Jesus freaks, just as long as they don't bother me. In a world as weird and cruel as this one we have made for ourselves, I figure anybody who can find peace and personal happiness without ripping off somebody else deserves to be left alone. They will not inherit the earth, but then neither will I. . . . And I have learned to live, as it were, with the idea that I will never find peace and happiness, either. But as long as I know there's a pretty good chance I can get my hands on either one of them every once in a while, I do the best I can between high spots."
--Hunter S. Thompson


Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
Posts: 5448
Joined: 2007-10-12
User is offlineOffline
ProzacDeathWish wrote:Beyond

ProzacDeathWish wrote:

Beyond Saving wrote:

But let's face it, real political analysis just doesn't make entertaining radio. Probably the only radio personality I heard really be successful with a political analysis radio show was Tony Snow.   

 

      At first  I couldn't place Tony Snow so I Googled him.  I remember him now, though.  Forgot that he passed away in 2008.  Interesting ( as it relates to our exchange ) is that he guest-hosted for Rush as well regularly appearing on NPR and Fox News.

Yeah, it was after he hosted for Rush that I started listening to his show in the early 00's. It was a great show on an intellectual level and his humor tended to be self deprecating. And he used his deep political contacts to get really great extended interviews that just aren't possible in the time limitations of television.

If, if a white man puts his arm around me voluntarily, that's brotherhood. But if you - if you hold a gun on him and make him embrace me and pretend to be friendly or brotherly toward me, then that's not brotherhood, that's hypocrisy.- Malcolm X


Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
Posts: 5448
Joined: 2007-10-12
User is offlineOffline
iwbiek wrote:it's just a

iwbiek wrote:
it's just a slightly more sophisticated version of he tactic we used in school when we wanted to get a rise out of someone we didn't like. they'd be trying to throw insults at us, or even explain what they wanted to say, and we'd just keep responding with shit like "what? you're a faggot? what's that? you like to suck dick?" etc. in fact, i guess brian kind of took a page from that manual.

That is pretty much the point of my much more verbose posts. (I tend to go on and on when I am drunk) That is where most radio is. I don't consider it a bad thing.

If, if a white man puts his arm around me voluntarily, that's brotherhood. But if you - if you hold a gun on him and make him embrace me and pretend to be friendly or brotherly toward me, then that's not brotherhood, that's hypocrisy.- Malcolm X