Burying Hatchette

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
Burying Hatchette

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/15/technology/in-latest-volley-against-amazon-hachettes-writers-target-its-board.html?_r=0

There has been a battle of the titans between Amazon and Hachette (one of the largest book publishers) for some time now. The whole argument is over how the percentages should be split for e-books and what the price of e-books should be. Amazon is pushing for a maximum price of $9.99 and wants 30% (the exact same deal it offers independent publishers) Amazon has responded by putting Hachette books at the bottom of the list for order fulfillment, stopped recommeding them on their recommendations list and refusing to sell preorders. 

I find the whole thing rather amusing from a rhetoric standpoint. You have big name leftwing authors who are pretending to be poor little victims. Accusations that Amazon is being "Orwellian" and is trying to "control what people read". Which is patently absurd coming from a publishing company- the sole purpose of its existence being to determine what books to publish and which ones not to publish. For years, the only practical way for authors to reach a large audience was to get one of the five major publishers to publish them. The five big publishers controlled almost 90% of the book market. E-books have changed that and the big publishers only account for a little over 50% (although they still dominate the paper book market).  

You would think that the big publishers would learn from the hard lessons that the music market did. Technology changes things and people aren't willing to pay $15 for an e-book no matter how large a name is on it. The irony is, that giving Amazon a slightly larger cut and lowering the price would probably be far more profitable for them in the long run. There are so many independent books out there that authors are selling for $1-$5, and a lot of them are really good. There are a lot of really talented authors who were lost in the massive amounts of paper sent to publishing companies. Now, they have an opportunity to appeal to readers directly and get a much larger portion of the money to boot. I don't think anything of throwing $1 at a book, if I like it I finish it, if I don't, I just delete it- who cares it is one dollar. I have also noticed a trend that many authors have started writing in a pattern where they write related novels, but between the time of releasing full fledged novels, they will have little short stories that they put on for $1. If I liked the first book I read, I'll pay $1 for a little 40-50 page short story while waiting for the next installment. 

It is still a daunting task for an author to build a following, but now they can track their daily downloads and get immediate feedback. I was curious at what kind of success an independent e-book author could have, and I found thisvery interesting and informative blog post, which has a series of really good analysis on self publishing. The bottom line is that it is extremely difficult to find success as a new author. Even those who are published by the big five more often than not see sales drop quickly and make very little money. However, there is a decent number of people who are making decent levels of income ($25,000-$60,000), fewer who make up to $100,000 and the really big names who make well into the 6 figures to the giants who make millions a year. The surprising thing is, that even at the higher levels of income, being published by a big publisher doesn't seem to be a significant determinate.

Over time, this is just going to become more pronounced. Just like the music industry has seen a large growth in niche markets, the tv industry has seen a large growth in internet only shows, the big five publishers should learn the lessons that the big players in other entertainment industries learned the hard way. Consumers want large selections and they want them cheap. Huge success on the Internet is more often made by what you give away for free than by trying to maintain high prices. One of the largest problems that big corporations have is their slowness to adapt. Amazon has realized it, and that is why they are going to be a lot richer than anyone else. If they stopped carrying big name authors completely, they will still be the largest online book seller. Faced with a decision between some no name author for a couple bucks and a big name for $15, I'm going with no name every time. Faced with a no name for a couple bucks and a known author for $5, well I might go with what I know.  

If, if a white man puts his arm around me voluntarily, that's brotherhood. But if you - if you hold a gun on him and make him embrace me and pretend to be friendly or brotherly toward me, then that's not brotherhood, that's hypocrisy.- Malcolm X

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Beyond, will you take one

Beyond, will you take one second to stop blindly sucking the dick of the free market? The green Jizz on your chin is glowing.

MYTH, all liberals hate business.

MYTH, all liberals hate the open market.

MYTH, all liberals hate all wealth.

You've been sold that no lib can value our open market. Same bullshit crap crybaby gun nutters spew if you even dare suggest changing the slightest thing.

That does not change the fact that we are way past the consumer having a voice. Big business dictates to us. If it were consumer voice driven, no one would be bitching. MONEY infects our politics way too much. SCOTUS has lopsidedly for far to long has sided with big business. 

All aspects of society, both public and private, are run by humans. That means all things run by humans can be subject to getting too big. That includes religion, political party, AND business. For some stupid fucking reason you are stuck on the idea that human nature is not subject to abuse of power or greed when it comes to the private sector. 

The private sector is not run by a magical species of humans immune from our full range of ability to be cruel or compassionate. There is no separate "private sector species", with magical DNA that makes them moral by proxy of economic ideology.

ALL MONOPOLIES OF POWER are bad. But you stupidly think the private sector is not causing problems and considering the state of pollution and pay gap and worldwide poverty, YOU ARE OUT OF YOUR FUCKING MIND!

I do not expect all 7 billion humans to give up on the idea of wanting private business ownership. I do not expect all 7 billion people to want the same thing. But your pathetic projectionism of "fuck you I got mine" is as bad and ignorant as those nasty libs who love Che(the MINORITY).

Take your head out of your simplistic spreadsheet psychology. Put your A-personality gambling risk taking mentality in check. All I have ever tried to explain to you is that YOU like theists are NOT the center of the universe. Niether is big business.

Business can and has done good things. But it still is ONE aspect of soceity, but it is NOT the only aspect of soceity. I am getting sick of you masterbating over it as if it's shit never stinks.

Amazon is a company, it is not a human being. As a company it does what any company does. It competes and seeks to survive. SO none of what you say is a shocker. What does piss me off is that ALL big business has it's WWE wrestling match not giving one fuck about the other two classes. 

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

zarathustra
atheist
zarathustra's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:That does not

Brian37 wrote:
That does not change the fact that we are way past the consumer having a voice. Big business dictates to us. If it were consumer voice driven, no one would be bitching.
Not quite sure how that follows.  Borders, for example, went out of business for not responding adequately to what the book consumer wanted.

As it stands, the Chinese company AliBaba is about to cross swords with Amazon; and the victor will ultimately be crowned by the lowly consumer.

Quote:
But you stupidly think the private sector is not causing problems and considering the state of pollution and pay gap and worldwide poverty, YOU ARE OUT OF YOUR FUCKING MIND!
I might require you to elaborate, but it seems you think that raising environmental standards, narrowing the pay gap, and eliminating worldwide poverty can all be accomplished commensurately.  

It likely costs a company more to produce with less pollution (it's hard to imagine any company gratuitously polluting without profit).  A company will then likely absorb this increased cost by limiting its employees' wages and/or raising the price of its product, hence costing the consumer more, and possibly more than the poorest consumers can afford.  

There are no theists on operating tables.

πππ†
π†††

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
I wonder how high the number

I wonder how high the number would be if we tallied up every strawman and red herring Brian ever made. Some of his posts don't have any, but then you see one like this that has 18 in the first half alone.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote:I wonder how

Vastet wrote:
I wonder how high the number would be if we tallied up every strawman and red herring Brian ever made. Some of his posts don't have any, but then you see one like this that has 18 in the first half alone.

And I can't determine whether he has any preference for which side wins or even any coherent thoughts about the industry at all. I'm pretty sure he didn't read my post. But I'd have offered 100:1 odds on that before I wrote it. Maybe I should create two posts, one full of intellectually vacant one liners for Brian to respond to, and one like this for those who might actually be interested in the conflict and what it might mean for the future of books.

If, if a white man puts his arm around me voluntarily, that's brotherhood. But if you - if you hold a gun on him and make him embrace me and pretend to be friendly or brotherly toward me, then that's not brotherhood, that's hypocrisy.- Malcolm X

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
ProzacDeathWish's picture
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote:I wonder how

Vastet wrote:

It's obvious from the quality of Brian's arguments that he shits out of both ends of his body.