New NFL Picks Pool

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
digitalbeachbum's picture
User is offlineOffline
New NFL Picks Pool

I've created a new football pool on Yahoo. If you want, join, if not you can just watch.

http://football.fantasysports.yahoo.com/pickem

I think this will be much more fun. The Group ID and Password is basically all you need to join.

I am allowing you to make your pick for tonight but it won't matter. Tonight's game won't count for anyone.

SettingCurrent Value
Group ID#: 60536
Group Password N0P455w0rd
Confidence Points Yes
Spread No
Tiebreakers Yes
Start Week 3
Drop Scores No, use all weeks
Deadline 5 minutes before each game
Playoffs Yes

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is onlineOnline
 Who is our resident NE

Who is our resident NE fan, Jeffrick? Bet he is happy.

Everyone is predicting a Seahawks Patriots Superbowl. It is weird to me because I grew up with the Hawks in the AFC.

Not that it will ever happen, but I'd like to see a shuffle year, like you keep your standard divisions every other year then shuffle them every other year. Like you could end up with the Cowboys and Redskins in a Superbowl. 

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

Jeffrick
High Level DonorRational VIP!SuperfanGold Member
Jeffrick's picture
User is offlineOffline
Yup!!!!

Happy and hung over. Calmly watching my team go down by 2 touchdowns, refill the wine glass and be patient; Then the score is tied; that's more like it and more wine. St.Thomas of Brady is moving down field for a 21 to 14 lead at the half. Saintly Tom and the Pat's lead the league in points scored in the 2 minutes before the half. I can sip the next glass, until the interception, 2 glasses down in record time and the Ravens are up 21 - 14. In the third I'm ready for the big comeback. at the 10 minute mark [I lost track of the wine consumption] it's Balt 28 - 14. Then Bishop Bala of Chek proves why HE is the real field general. During a refill there's a tackle eligible play RB Vareen declares he's a tackle and Mike Human.....[more letters can't remember them] from a tackle position makes a 20 yard catch. 2 refills later WR Edelmann takes a lateral from Brady and throws a 51 yard TD to WR Amendola score tied at 28; I wanted to stand and cheer but that wine does things to my legs. After that it was a predictable Brady to LeFell TD pass then a last 2 minute interception of Flacco that left me wondering why I ever worried. By which time the 4 litre box of wine I started with was a hellova lot less then 2 litres, I couldn't stand and cheer the next day I still had trouble walking. Next week has got to be easier.

"Very funny Scotty; now beam down our clothes."

VEGETARIAN: Ancient Hindu word for "lousy hunter"

If man was formed from dirt, why is there still dirt?

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is onlineOnline
To quote Chuck Norris's

To quote Chuck Norris's crappy show "Walker Texas Ranger"........"Cause the eyes of Green Bay are upon you, any win you try they're gonna see, when you're in Green Bay look behind you, cause that's where the Packers are gonna be".

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
digitalbeachbum wrote:Damn.

digitalbeachbum wrote:

Damn. I thought I might win a game on you and gain a few points.

If I can keep the next week close then the Super Bowl will be an amazing ending.

Yeah, not only did we pick the same teams, but the exact points on each team. I thought the picks this week were obvious though, the only real risk was the Colts but Peyton hasn't been 100%. 

Next week is tougher I think. Still not 100% who I will pick. I know I WANT a Colts vs Packers Super but hard to see that happening.

If, if a white man puts his arm around me voluntarily, that's brotherhood. But if you - if you hold a gun on him and make him embrace me and pretend to be friendly or brotherly toward me, then that's not brotherhood, that's hypocrisy.- Malcolm X

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
User is offlineOffline
Jeffrick wrote:

Jeffrick wrote:
Happy and hung over. Calmly watching my team go down by 2 touchdowns, refill the wine glass and be patient; Then the score is tied; that's more like it and more wine. St.Thomas of Brady is moving down field for a 21 to 14 lead at the half. Saintly Tom and the Pat's lead the league in points scored in the 2 minutes before the half. I can sip the next glass, until the interception, 2 glasses down in record time and the Ravens are up 21 - 14. In the third I'm ready for the big comeback. at the 10 minute mark [I lost track of the wine consumption] it's Balt 28 - 14. Then Bishop Bala of Chek proves why HE is the real field general. During a refill there's a tackle eligible play RB Vareen declares he's a tackle and Mike Human.....[more letters can't remember them] from a tackle position makes a 20 yard catch. 2 refills later WR Edelmann takes a lateral from Brady and throws a 51 yard TD to WR Amendola score tied at 28; I wanted to stand and cheer but that wine does things to my legs. After that it was a predictable Brady to LeFell TD pass then a last 2 minute interception of Flacco that left me wondering why I ever worried. By which time the 4 litre box of wine I started with was a hellova lot less then 2 litres, I couldn't stand and cheer the next day I still had trouble walking. Next week has got to be easier.

I saw a very interesting stat about Randy Moss on fivethirtyeight.com about how he just might be the greatest receiver of all time.

True he doesn't have the numbers of Jerry Rice but he was also a diva and got in to trouble a lot. However he was an impact player and the stats show that except for his time in Oakland (which was really a horrible place for him to go) he helped all the QB's who he played with have their best seasons EVER while he was on the field.

Strange but true that Brady isn't half the QB people think he is and he's a quarter of the QB he thinks of himself. Colts will beat Patriots because they are more hungry to win. Brady will get picked. Running game will suffer. 31-21

One side note - If Bill Belicheat pulls some bullshit out of his ass the Patriots stand to benefit but I hate that mother fucker so I hope they lose. Asshole cheats so much that he makes satan look like jesus.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is onlineOnline
 Wow what an NFC

Wow what an NFC championchip. I don't think either fans expected that.

Most of the time the ods of an onsides kick does not go your way. 

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
User is offlineOffline
Beyond Saving

Beyond Saving wrote:

digitalbeachbum wrote:

If I can keep the next week close then the Super Bowl will be an amazing ending.

Yeah, not only did we pick the same teams, but the exact points on each team. I thought the picks this week were obvious though, the only real risk was the Colts but Peyton hasn't been 100%. 

Next week is tougher I think. Still not 100% who I will pick. I know I WANT a Colts vs Packers Super but hard to see that happening.

I bet 16 points on Green Bay and lost. You put 16 on the Patriots.

1162+16=1178 <--- you if Patriots win

1145+8=1153 <---- me if Colts win

I think there is 36 points or 32 points for the Super Bowl. I need you to not win the Patriot game.

If you win the only way I can catch you is if the confidence points are 36.

If you lose I still need to win on the Super Bowl pick.

Jeffrick
Jeffrick's picture
User is offlineOffline
Jeffrick wrote:

Jeffrick wrote:

45 to 7 this week was easier; nuff said.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is onlineOnline
 No matter your team many

No matter your team many NFL fans watched the NFC Championship and thought.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FklUAoZ6KxY

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is onlineOnline
 I know about  the Pats

I know about  the Pats cheating schandle from the past. But If the reffs have to place the ball on the ground at the start of every play, how can either team get away with deflating the ball? I guess the center could palm a ball needle but still, the ball gets reused in the next play.

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
User is offlineOffline
Beyond Saving

Beyond Saving wrote:

digitalbeachbum wrote:

I can't catch you. Only 16 points for the correct Super Bowl pick.

It was that first week of the season, I didn't do all of the games with the confidence points. Six games I didn't put points on, gave me instead 8 points for that day.

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
 What a boring ass

What a boring ass superbowl. Well, I put my money on the SeaGulls, it's worth $100 not to have to root for the Patsies. 

If, if a white man puts his arm around me voluntarily, that's brotherhood. But if you - if you hold a gun on him and make him embrace me and pretend to be friendly or brotherly toward me, then that's not brotherhood, that's hypocrisy.- Malcolm X

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is onlineOnline
Beyond Saving wrote: What a

Beyond Saving wrote:

What a boring ass superbowl. Well, I put my money on the SeaGulls, it's worth $100 not to have to root for the Patsies. 

While some Superbowls have been blowouts others have been within one score. I don't know why you think the game will be boring 7 days before kickoff.

I didn't expect the Skins to beat Dallas in Dallas and just because the Pats blew out the Colts not all of their wins were blowouts.

I didn't think Ohio would come back and beat Alabama, and how rare is it for a team in the NFL to be 12 points down with five minutes left only to come back and win?

It could be boring but no one will know until the game actually starts and they get through 3 quarters at least.

And while I have no desire to outlaw betting, I do find it stupid when people get addicted to it, it really is a symptom of risk taking personality. You bet because you like the rush. I buy a lottery ticket very rarely but I would never bet 100 bucks on any game. That amount of a bet is nothing but ego. 

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:Beyond Saving

Brian37 wrote:

Beyond Saving wrote:

While some Superbowls have been blowouts others have been within one score. I don't know why you think the game will be boring 7 days before kickoff.

I didn't expect the Skins to beat Dallas in Dallas and just because the Pats blew out the Colts not all of their wins were blowouts.

I didn't think Ohio would come back and beat Alabama, and how rare is it for a team in the NFL to be 12 points down with five minutes left only to come back and win?

It could be boring but no one will know until the game actually starts and they get through 3 quarters at least.

It will be boring for me because I dislike both teams amd don't really care which one wins. The only hope I have for entertainment is Katy Perry to have a wardrobe malfunction. 

Brian37 wrote:

And while I have no desire to outlaw betting, I do find it stupid when people get addicted to it, it really is a symptom of risk taking personality. You bet because you like the rush. I buy a lottery ticket very rarely but I would never bet 100 bucks on any game. That amount of a bet is nothing but ego. 

Yes, I bet because I enjoy the rush, although with sports it is just among friends so it is more for the glory than anything. It is also the only thing that makes this particular Superbowl interesting (besides a certain bartender who traditionally wears a rather fetching ref outfit). The amount of the bet is based on the projected bar tab the two of us will ring up throughout the day along with appropriate tip. 

While there might be an argument that I take too many risks (certainly many very smart people have told me I do, but going broke has never been a fear of mine), there are also huge drawbacks to not being willing to take risks. If you never take a risk, you can never receive the benefits, and doing nothing can be a risk in and of itself. Perhaps if you took some well thought out risks in your professional life, you wouldn't be in your current situation. 

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
User is offlineOffline
Beyond Saving wrote: What a

Beyond Saving wrote:

I agree.

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
User is offlineOffline
Beyond Saving wrote:Brian37

Beyond Saving wrote:

Brian37 wrote:

Beyond Saving wrote:

It will be boring for me because I dislike both teams amd don't really care which one wins. The only hope I have for entertainment is Katy Perry to have a wardrobe malfunction. 

Brian37 wrote:

Yes, I bet because I enjoy the rush, although with sports it is just among friends so it is more for the glory than anything. It is also the only thing that makes this particular Superbowl interesting (besides a certain bartender who traditionally wears a rather fetching ref outfit). The amount of the bet is based on the projected bar tab the two of us will ring up throughout the day along with appropriate tip. 

While there might be an argument that I take too many risks (certainly many very smart people have told me I do, but going broke has never been a fear of mine), there are also huge drawbacks to not being willing to take risks. If you never take a risk, you can never receive the benefits, and doing nothing can be a risk in and of itself. Perhaps if you took some well thought out risks in your professional life, you wouldn't be in your current situation. 

lol

I find Brian's reply difficult to understand. Did I miss something about gambling addictions?

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
digitalbeachbum wrote:lolI

digitalbeachbum wrote:

lol

I find Brian's reply difficult to understand. Did I miss something about gambling addictions?

You should be concerned if you did understand his reply. But apparently betting a few bucks on a Superbowl amounts to a gambling addiction, so we can add that to my list of evils.

I'm a greedy, selfish, money idolizing, crying, sore losing, extorting, worker abusing, alcoholic, over compensating, gun crazy, baby deer murdering, gambling addicted, Ayn Rand loving, secretly republican, racist, sexist, bigoted, homophobic, testosterone filled idiot baby living in a bubble. 

Did I miss any? I can't help it, it is all EVOLUTION™ that caused me to be this way. 

Edit: almost forgot "racist, sexist, bigoted, homophobe" how embarrassing. 

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
User is offlineOffline
Beyond Saving

Beyond Saving wrote:

digitalbeachbum wrote:

lol

You should be concerned if you did understand his reply. But apparently betting a few bucks on a Superbowl amounts to a gambling addiction, so we can add that to my list of evils.

I'm a greedy, selfish, money idolizing, crying, sore losing, extorting, worker abusing, alcoholic, over compensating, gun crazy, baby deer murdering, gambling addicted, Ayn Rand loving, secretly republican, racist, sexist, bigoted, homophobic, testosterone filled idiot baby living in a bubble. 

Did I miss any? I can't help it, it is all EVOLUTION™ that caused me to be this way. 

lol[facepalm] 

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is onlineOnline
 Ok, sure there is no

Ok, sure there is no smoking gun with "deflategate" but the comics are having a feild day. Ran accross this video, funny as shit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vd3D2gsPUR0

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is onlineOnline
Beyond Saving

Beyond Saving wrote:

digitalbeachbum wrote:

lol

No dumbass. I was taking a dig at you. I do think 100 bucks is absurd. I use to play poker as a teen but my limit was 5 bucks. and even then most hands I never went past a dollar. Most people lose in any type of gambling and certianly the lottery. Yea you certainly have that right. I was taking at dig at your overall personality. You are a risk taker but I think your view of life allows you to ignore your affect of your views have .

Yes you are greedy, no I do not think you are racist, I do think you do live in a buble though. 

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:No dumbass. I

Brian37 wrote:

No dumbass. I was taking a dig at you. I do think 100 bucks is absurd. I use to play poker as a teen but my limit was 5 bucks. and even then most hands I never went past a dollar.

Yeah, well as a kid I played poker for twizzlers and jolly ranchers- my income has expanded quite considerably since then and I no longer rely on a dollar a week allowance from mom & dad for income. I think the amount I pay in taxes is absurd. $100 that I (might be) giving to a friend that I love and care for is nothing. (Well lets be real, either way the winner is the bartender, because she is getting the Benji whoever wins because we both love and care for her) You should be cheering on my redistribution of my iniquitous gains to a server who has lower income than both of us. I am closing the income gap, isn't that what you are always telling me I should do? You should be outraged that we aren't betting $1,000 or $10,000 on the game and giving it to her. 

Quote:

Most people lose in any type of gambling and certianly the lottery.

Not the ones smart enough to be the house. Sports betting with friends though tends to be close to 50/50. No one is taking a cut (unless you count the bartender).

Quote:

Yes you are greedy, no I do not think you are racist, I do think you do live in a buble though. 

So greedy I gamble my money away. How can I be both too risky with my money and greedy? 

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is onlineOnline
Beyond Saving wrote:Brian37

Beyond Saving wrote:

Brian37 wrote:

No dumbass. I was taking a dig at you. I do think 100 bucks is absurd. I use to play poker as a teen but my limit was 5 bucks. and even then most hands I never went past a dollar.

Yeah, well as a kid I played poker for twizzlers and jolly ranchers- my income has expanded quite considerably since then and I no longer rely on a dollar a week allowance from mom & dad for income. I think the amount I pay in taxes is absurd. $100 that I (might be) giving to a friend that I love and care for is nothing. (Well lets be real, either way the winner is the bartender, because she is getting the Benji whoever wins because we both love and care for her) You should be cheering on my redistribution of my iniquitous gains to a server who has lower income than both of us. I am closing the income gap, isn't that what you are always telling me I should do? You should be outraged that we aren't betting $1,000 or $10,000 on the game and giving it to her. 

Quote:

Most people lose in any type of gambling and certianly the lottery.

Not the ones smart enough to be the house. Sports betting with friends though tends to be close to 50/50. No one is taking a cut (unless you count the bartender).

Quote:

So greedy I gamble my money away. How can I be both too risky with my money and greedy? 

Yes you can be risky and greedy and still blow 100 bucks on a game. It is your personality, your male testosterone. Seen plenty of guys like you in my life. You and my former owner would make great golf partners. I can see you and him whining about all those evil workers who ask for too much on hole 17 and make a Mitt Romny bet on hole 18.

"Mommy mommy the peasents are angry, how can I play golf and bet on sports games while they are bothering me".

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:Yes you can be

Brian37 wrote:

Yes you can be risky and greedy and still blow 100 bucks on a game. It is your personality, your male testosterone.

Wow you are sexist. Are you saying that women can't gamble? I know some particularly good female poker players, none of which would bat an eye to throw $100 in a pot on a straight bluff. Are you saying they have too much testosterone?

Come to think of it, I don't think I ever specified whether my friend was male or female. He happens to be male, but his wife is a hell of a gambler too- just not a fan of football. She'll clean you out on some Nascar though, don't bet with her on it no matter how good the odds seem. I've seen her in some pretty skimpy clothes and can state with certainty there isn't a lot of testosterone going on there. 

Brian37 wrote:

Seen plenty of guys like you in my life. You and my former owner would make great golf partners. I can see you and him whining about all those evil workers who ask for too much on hole 17 and make a Mitt Romny bet on hole 18.

There you go stereotyping again. I wouldn't make a good golf partner for anyone, I suck at golf. If I score 100 on a 9 hole par 3 course I'm happy. Now if your old boss enjoys a trip to the gun range, I'm sure we could be good friends. I still find it incredibly disturbing how you refer to anyone as your "owner" former or otherwise. You know, if you want to be owned, I have some incidental ties to the BDS&M community. I never enjoyed it myself, but I could probably arrange for introductions with a Dom, maybe even one loaded with testosterone. 

Brian37 wrote:

"Mommy mommy the peasents are angry, how can I play golf and bet on sports games while they are bothering me".

Don't worry my dear peasant, your whining will have no effect on my gambling habits, my investing habits, my business habits or my football watching habits.   

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
User is offlineOffline
 i can't believe where this

i can't believe where this thread turned to...

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
User is offlineOffline
 I see Madden football has

I see Madden football has the patriots winning. I'm still waiting on 538 to publish their review

Burnedout
User is offlineOffline
 All this talk about who's

All this talk about who's going to win.  I am mostly convinced the Superbowl is rigged.  It will go to who has the most money bet and who will be the biggest winner in the TV revenue battle.  NFL Football is entertainment.  Do you realize that legally, they don't HAVE to even play by the rules?  Here is an article that concurs with my point.

http://thefixisin.net/theproof.html 

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
Burnedout wrote:  All this

Burnedout wrote:

All this talk about who's going to win.  I am mostly convinced the Superbowl is rigged.  It will go to who has the most money bet and who will be the biggest winner in the TV revenue battle.  NFL Football is entertainment.  Do you realize that legally, they don't HAVE to even play by the rules?  Here is an article that concurs with my point.

Just because it would be legal, doesn't mean they do it. It is pretty ridiculous to think that the players put their bodies through so much damage while rigging a game. Besides, the Seahawks are nowhere near one of the most popular teams (they actually are one of the worst in terms of ticket sales and tv viewership). A Packers/Patriots game would have been far superior for Superbowl tv numbers and getting the Cowboys to a superbowl would be a huge boon for the NFL since they remain by far the most popular team in the sport.

Certainly the NFL does a lot to manipulate the games for entertainment and profit. They have changed the rules which makes the passing game much easier, creating higher scoring games and quarterbacks that will shatter old records. They have also gone out of their way to protect big names that bring in revenue. Also, their draft system, cap limits and profit sharing all encourage equality among the teams so that no one team is completely dominant.

But rigging the game in the manner that wrestling is? That would be stupid. It wouldn't stay quiet with the sheer number of people involved and it would completely destroy the NFL brand. Talk about throwing a few hundred billion in value down the toilet. That would cost the NFL far more than any law the government could enforce. So while legal, it would be a terrible business decision and extremely unprofitable, which is why they wouldn't do it.  

Burnedout
User is offlineOffline
Beyond Saving

Beyond Saving wrote:

Burnedout wrote:

Just because it would be legal, doesn't mean they do it. It is pretty ridiculous to think that the players put their bodies through so much damage while rigging a game. Besides, the Seahawks are nowhere near one of the most popular teams (they actually are one of the worst in terms of ticket sales and tv viewership). A Packers/Patriots game would have been far superior for Superbowl tv numbers and getting the Cowboys to a superbowl would be a huge boon for the NFL since they remain by far the most popular team in the sport.

Certainly the NFL does a lot to manipulate the games for entertainment and profit. They have changed the rules which makes the passing game much easier, creating higher scoring games and quarterbacks that will shatter old records. They have also gone out of their way to protect big names that bring in revenue. Also, their draft system, cap limits and profit sharing all encourage equality among the teams so that no one team is completely dominant.

But rigging the game in the manner that wrestling is? That would be stupid. It wouldn't stay quiet with the sheer number of people involved and it would completely destroy the NFL brand. Talk about throwing a few hundred billion in value down the toilet. That would cost the NFL far more than any law the government could enforce. So while legal, it would be a terrible business decision and extremely unprofitable, which is why they wouldn't do it.  

I am not saying the players or coaches are doing any of the manipulating.  I doubt that very strongly.  I do however see the league officials and field officials working to steer the particular games a certain direction.  Also, you have to ask the question as to WHY it is always certain teams that are consistenly winning in post season and Superbowl games.  Why are the teams from places like say...Buffalo, Kansas City, Jacksonville, hell...even Cleveland, Carolina, and some other cities almost never in the post season or at least getting very far into post season?  There is a salary cap that is SUPPOSED to be in place and the owners have the same authority as all the rest.  Now, I can see perhaps there are better and worst owners to play/coach for, but even at that, you would expect to see at least SOME make the big show every 10 years or so.  

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
User is offlineOffline
Burnedout wrote: All this

Burnedout wrote:

link is bad

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
User is offlineOffline
Burnedout wrote:I am not

Burnedout wrote:

I am not saying the players or coaches are doing any of the manipulating.  I doubt that very strongly.  I do however see the league officials and field officials working to steer the particular games a certain direction.  Also, you have to ask the question as to WHY it is always certain teams that are consistenly winning in post season and Superbowl games.  Why are the teams from places like say...Buffalo, Kansas City, Jacksonville, hell...even Cleveland, Carolina, and some other cities almost never in the post season or at least getting very far into post season?  There is a salary cap that is SUPPOSED to be in place and the owners have the same authority as all the rest.  Now, I can see perhaps there are better and worst owners to play/coach for, but even at that, you would expect to see at least SOME make the big show every 10 years or so.  

Other than some backroom deals for rules or maybe moving a team from city to city, I think it is poppycock to think that they are corrupt enough to manipulate games as they are being played. Maybe you have a single corrupt ref like they have in the NBA or the NCAA during basketball season. They might help fix a game for some local bookie, but on a larger scale they would have been better off letting Green Bay win. There would have been more money involved if GB and NE were in a SB.

Burnedout
User is offlineOffline
digitalbeachbum

digitalbeachbum wrote:

Burnedout wrote:

Other than some backroom deals for rules or maybe moving a team from city to city, I think it is poppycock to think that they are corrupt enough to manipulate games as they are being played. Maybe you have a single corrupt ref like they have in the NBA or the NCAA during basketball season. They might help fix a game for some local bookie, but on a larger scale they would have been better off letting Green Bay win. There would have been more money involved if GB and NE were in a SB.

www.thefixisin.net  

Does that work for the link?

You think it is Popycock?  Think about it...how much money is made and lost gambling on NFL football and remember, in Vegas, the house does not lose.  How much ad revenue is generated and that is generated on people tuning in and watching.  The greater the ratings, the greater the interest, the greater the ad revenue, the higher the gambling stakes and the don't forget the merchindising for certain teams.  How do you explain that certain, mainly big market teams are always more often in a serious hunt for the big game than others?  Don't get me wrong, I am not faulting the big market teams, but rather the league officials.  But then again, I am a cynical shit. 

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
User is offlineOffline
Burnedout

Burnedout wrote:

digitalbeachbum wrote:

Burnedout wrote:

www.thefixisin.net  

Does that work for the link?

You think it is Popycock?  Think about it...how much money is made and lost gambling on NFL football and remember, in Vegas, the house does not lose.  How much ad revenue is generated and that is generated on people tuning in and watching.  The greater the ratings, the greater the interest, the greater the ad revenue, the higher the gambling stakes and the don't forget the merchindising for certain teams.  How do you explain that certain, mainly big market teams are always more often in a serious hunt for the big game than others?  Don't get me wrong, I am not faulting the big market teams, but rather the league officials.  But then again, I am a cynical shit. 

Yep thx.

It looks like some one is selling a book or dvd.

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
Burnedout wrote:I am not

Burnedout wrote:

I am not saying the players or coaches are doing any of the manipulating.  I doubt that very strongly.  I do however see the league officials and field officials working to steer the particular games a certain direction.  

How? Every decision they make is made in HD and slow motion. Sure, refs blow calls from time to time, but there is zero evidence that they do so in a manner that benefits a particular team.

Quote:

Also, you have to ask the question as to WHY it is always certain teams that are consistenly winning in post season and Superbowl games.  Why are the teams from places like say...Buffalo, Kansas City, Jacksonville, hell...even Cleveland, Carolina, and some other cities almost never in the post season or at least getting very far into post season?  

Talent. Why hasn't Cleveland made it the the Super Bowl? Look at who they blow their first round pick on every year. They pick up overpriced talentless hacks who get good media attention, but wash out of the NFL. KC probably would have made a good playoff run if Jamaal Charles hadn't been injured half the season- they made a deep run last year. Buffalo and Carolina are young teams, they have some promising talent. But at the end of the day, the teams that always make the deep playoff runs do so because they have great talent. Look what happened to the Colts when Peyton left. When Brady retires, the Patriots will no longer be annual shoe ins. Talent matters, and the talent it takes to win Superbowls is rare indeed. 

Quote:

There is a salary cap that is SUPPOSED to be in place and the owners have the same authority as all the rest.  Now, I can see perhaps there are better and worst owners to play/coach for, but even at that, you would expect to see at least SOME make the big show every 10 years or so.  

All the salary cap does is prevent a baseball situation where someone can take large amounts of money and stack a team full of stars like say the Yankees do. Equal money doesn't lead to equal results. One of the main reasons that New England has been so successful as a dynasty is that Brady routinely has given up the money he could demand so it could be used to attract other great players. He understands that the real paycheck comes from advertising, not from his base pay. 

espn.go.com/boston/nfl/story/_/id/12094227/tom-brady-restructures-contract-give-new-england-patriots-24-million-more-cash

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
Burnedout wrote:You think it

Burnedout wrote:

You think it is Popycock?  Think about it...how much money is made and lost gambling on NFL football and remember, in Vegas, the house does not lose.  

The NFL doesn't own Vegas, and Vegas doesn't give a shit who wins, they make money either way. Besides, the amount Vegas makes on pro football annually is under $100 million. Pocket change to the NFL. 

Quote:

How much ad revenue is generated and that is generated on people tuning in and watching.  The greater the ratings, the greater the interest, the greater the ad revenue, the higher the gambling stakes and the don't forget the merchindising for certain teams.  

Yeah... and you have all that without fixing the games. 

Quote:

How do you explain that certain, mainly big market teams are always more often in a serious hunt for the big game than others?  Don't get me wrong, I am not faulting the big market teams, but rather the league officials.  But then again, I am a cynical shit. 

How do you explain that certain, mainly big market teams that aren't in a serious hunt for the big game? The Cowboys, Oakland and Jets are the largest markets in terms of potential audience and none have really been serious contenders for years. Dallas, LA & New York are much larger markets than Foxborough, Seattle, Green Bay, Indianapolis and Denver. 

The team that is by far the most popular in terms of attracting audiences- the Cowboys- hasn't been to a Superbowl in 20 years. Whoever is rigging these games is a complete fucktard and should be fired. 

There simply isn't any evidence. All you have are some baseless questions which you conveniently supply with an easy and simplistic answer that doesn't even make sense. Just like every other conspiracy theory, it falls apart when it runs into reality. If you are going to make a conspiracy theory, create one that at least would make sense if it was true.

Burnedout
User is offlineOffline
Beyond Saving

Beyond Saving wrote:

Burnedout wrote:

You think it is Popycock?  Think about it...how much money is made and lost gambling on NFL football and remember, in Vegas, the house does not lose.  

The NFL doesn't own Vegas, and Vegas doesn't give a shit who wins, they make money either way. Besides, the amount Vegas makes on pro football annually is under $100 million. Pocket change to the NFL. 

Quote:

How much ad revenue is generated and that is generated on people tuning in and watching.  The greater the ratings, the greater the interest, the greater the ad revenue, the higher the gambling stakes and the don't forget the merchindising for certain teams.  

Quote:

How do you explain that certain, mainly big market teams are always more often in a serious hunt for the big game than others?  Don't get me wrong, I am not faulting the big market teams, but rather the league officials.  But then again, I am a cynical shit. 

How do you explain that certain, mainly big market teams that aren't in a serious hunt for the big game? The Cowboys, Oakland and Jets are the largest markets in terms of potential audience and none have really been serious contenders for years. Dallas, LA & New York are much larger markets than Foxborough, Seattle, Green Bay, Indianapolis and Denver. 

The team that is by far the most popular in terms of attracting audiences- the Cowboys- hasn't been to a Superbowl in 20 years. Whoever is rigging these games is a complete fucktard and should be fired. 

There simply isn't any evidence. All you have are some baseless questions which you conveniently supply with an easy and simplistic answer that doesn't even make sense. Just like every other conspiracy theory, it falls apart when it runs into reality. If you are going to make a conspiracy theory, create one that at least would make sense if it was true.

Don't believe games have been rigged?  What do you call that non catch in the playoffs between Greenbay and Dallas, Dez Bryant call, several calls against Detroit?  

Also, watch this:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=esaaoSrK7_Q   

www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOVHBDSWBbE   

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
Burnedout wrote:Beyond

Burnedout wrote:

Beyond Saving wrote:

Burnedout wrote:

Quote:

Quote:

Don't believe games have been rigged?  What do you call that non catch in the playoffs between Greenbay and Dallas, Dez Bryant call, several calls against Detroit?  

The rule says that the ground can cause an incomplete pass. The receiver must maintain control of the ball throughout the catch. If it wasn't the last minute of a playoff game, calling it incomplete would be pretty standard. Besides, why the fuck would they cheat for Greenbay only to have them lose to the Seahawks next game? The Cowboys have the LARGEST fan base in football, more people watch their games than any other team in the US. Did Jerry just piss Godell so much that the NFL is willing to sacrifice ratings just to spite him?

Has the NFL forgiven the Packers since the Seahawks Hail Mary incident? (which was a call blown so bad even the NFL admitted it was a bad call.)

People argue about the minutia of the rules and with every team you can find instances where there is a good argument that a review went the wrong way. It happens, since as precise as they try to be with the rules, some of it remains a judgment call. (like what counts as a "football move" and what doesn't.) For the most part, it doesn't matter until the playoffs because most of the good teams get in with more than enough cushion they can lose a game or even two and still make it. 

All you have is loose speculation, and some whiny fans who didn't get their way and want someone to blame it on because obviously it couldn't be that their favorite team is not the best. 

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
User is offlineOffline
 switching gears... I

switching gears...

I really hope the Pats lose today. Not because I think Brady's an over rated QB but because I think Belichick is one of those coaches you learn to dislike. Does he cheat? I don't know but with all these issues surrounding his head coaching position one begins to wonder.

A loss to Seattle would really but a negative spin on his winning AFC reign. It, in my opinion puts his team right up there with the Buffalo Bill's who went to the Super Bowl three times in a row, only to lose three times in a row. Plus, after the getting their butts kicked in the last super bowl when they had the "perfect season", well that would be fitting.

Do I like the Seahawks. Nope. I don't care for them at all. Nor Coach Carroll.

Burnedout
User is offlineOffline
 Personally, I don't give a

Personally, I don't give a shit who wins this game.  I must admit, I watch games to see who gives the most viscious hit.  I used to play football in high school.  I was a defensive lineman, and on offense, I payed offensive guard.  My goal was to hit the guy across the line from me so hard I knocked him out cold.  If, on defense, I got to the quarterback and got him on the ground, I would try to stomp on his throwning hand with my cleats.  

I LOVED watching guys played like Dick Butkus, Ray Lewis, Lawrence Taylor, Derick Thomas, Steve Atwater, and current player Ndamukong Suh.  I am old enough to remember guys like Lyle Alzado, Jack Tatum and many many others not named.  They would knock the shit out of opposing players.  I LOVE watching the shit get knocked out of opposing players. 

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is onlineOnline
 Wasn't expecting the

Wasn't expecting the Seahawks not to be able to pass. Holy crap did Belicheck steal their playbook?

This has been a slow game outside the interception. No risky plays really textbook. No knockout punches.

I'd be worried with the Pats though I've seen the first score team lose lots in the Superbowl.

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
User is offlineOffline
Burnedout wrote:

Burnedout wrote:

Personally, I don't give a shit who wins this game.

Believe or not, I haven't watched a single second of the game. The only reason why I know the game was 14-7 was I happened to click on Yahoo and the score was there. I used to watch the SB when there was no one I wanted to see for the commercials but? who cares now? You can see them all online before and after the game.

I still want Seattle to win but I really don't care. If both teams died in a tragic crash on the way back home I'd be horrified at the loss of life but as for the two teams I wouldn't care. I know they would draft a new team eventually filling their rosters again with players I wouldn't cheer for in any game.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is onlineOnline
 That was the most tacky

That was the most tacky halftime show I have ever seen. It looked like a Royal Wedding meats Breaking bad. The lion was horrid. Perry's dress looked like something out of a Hot Rod magizine. 

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is onlineOnline
 What the fuck kind of play

What the fuck kind of play call was that? You have a running back running over everyone all day. You have a scrambling QB who could have done a play fake rollout on a bootleg, but what the fuck was that?

butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
User is offlineOffline
Oh......my.......God!I hate

Oh......my.......God!

I hate you so much right now Wilson. I fucking hate you. *sob*

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, | As I foretold you, were all spirits, and | Are melted into air, into thin air; | And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, | The cloud-capped towers, the gorgeous palaces, | The solemn temples, the great globe itself, - Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve, | And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, | Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff | As dreams are made on, and our little life | Is rounded with a sleep. - Shakespeare

Jeffrick
Jeffrick's picture
User is offlineOffline
Has everyone knows..............

............I'm a Patriots fan; since they were invented for the old AFL (1960)and right now all I can think to say to all non-Patriots fans is " Nyah,nyah,nyah-nyah,nyah!!!!!!!!!

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
User is offlineOffline
Jeffrick wrote:

Jeffrick wrote:
............I'm a Patriots fan; since they were invented for the old AFL (1960)and right now all I can think to say to all non-Patriots fans is " Nyah,nyah,nyah-nyah,nyah!!!!!!!!!

Enjoy it while it lasts, as they say. Your day of suckage is soon. Long decades of 2-14 and 3-13 seasons are coming.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is onlineOnline
 If I had been that Seahawk

If I had been that Seahawk receiver who put them on the 1 with that amazing catch, only to have the Hawks do what they did, I would kick that Coach the fucking nuts. That is like an NBA airball on a dunk. You have them by the balls and DOH!

But I am quite sure our resident Pats fan here is masturbating with joy. He he. Although he may want to stop calling Tom St Thomas of Brady, with the ball molestation thing. 4 rings 6 Superbowls. Pats fans have to be giddy right now.

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote: What the

Brian37 wrote:

What the fuck kind of play call was that? You have a running back running over everyone all day. You have a scrambling QB who could have done a play fake rollout on a bootleg, but what the fuck was that?

Obviously, Pete Carroll was told by the powers from on high to lose the game so Vegas would make more money. 

Burnedout
User is offlineOffline
 That fight at the end of

That fight at the end of the game was great.  I almost thought I was at a hockey game.....Smiling

Burnedout
User is offlineOffline
 That fight at the end of

That fight at the end of the game was great.  I almost thought I was at a hockey game.....Smiling

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is onlineOnline
Burnedout wrote: That fight

Burnedout wrote:

No it wasn't . I thought it was completely childish. That is one thing about our male species and evolution, everything has to end up with fists, and a game? I hope they fine every player involved and suspend them for at least two games.