George Lucas Sucks

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
digitalbeachbum's picture
User is offlineOffline
George Lucas Sucks

I am of the opinion that George Lucas sucks. The man hasn't a good creative bone in his body. What little he does create is shit or needs to be fixed by others.

Episode IV, V and VI weren't even 1/10th of his input. Others controlled more of the creative process and the two best movies in the current six provided are Empire Strikes Back and A New Hope. Both of which had different directors and screen writers. Yes, give George credit for the entire Star Wars saga but I'm betting he didn't even invent the idea and that it is borrowed or stolen from another person who is thousands of times more creative that George could ever desire.

I am of the opinion that Episode I, II and III, while financially successful, sucked artistically. George Lucas had his hands in every aspect of the development of the movies; in other words he micro-managed them to death. They are terrible from every aspect except special effects and score. I believe casting was fairly balanced but could be improved. The script and direction are not even B movie quality showing signs of high school level understanding of abilities.  The script being the worst, filled with terrible dialog and plot holes.

Yes, there are flaws in the movies I prefer. One major flaw I've always wondered about in A New Hope is when the Deathstar was waiting for the moon to clear the planet, why not just blow up the planet? The Deathstar has already destroyed a planet? That's what it was designed to do, specifically. Also, Luke Skywalker has kept the name of his father when he was supposed to have been hidden? And his sister is put in the position of Princess and put in to the public eye. The title of princess comes from her mother, but why do such things if they were supposed to be hidden.

One other plot issue which turns in to an avalanche is that the force is in Luke and that he is "the chosen one". In normal circumstances people who have these special abilities develop the abilities early and what is it that Luke can do? Nothing. No moving objects. No super jumps. No special abilities. Yet his father in later movies is able to build robots from scratch and race pods like a pro. The only way these future jedi get the special, special abilities is if they go through jedi training. huh?

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
User is offlineOffline
 This is one of my favorite

This is one of my favorite Star Wars reviewers.

http://redlettermedia.com/plinkett/star-wars/star-wars-episode-1-the-phantom-menace/

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
goddammit, it's not "a new

goddammit, it's not "a new hope." it's fuckin' "star wars." just like "raiders of the lost ark" is not fuckin' "indiana jones and the raiders of the lost ark." goddamn sisterfucking revisionist directors...

"I have never felt comfortable around people who talk about their feelings for Jesus, or any other deity for that matter, because they are usually none too bright. . . . Or maybe 'stupid' is a better way of saying it; but I have never seen much point in getting heavy with either stupid people or Jesus freaks, just as long as they don't bother me. In a world as weird and cruel as this one we have made for ourselves, I figure anybody who can find peace and personal happiness without ripping off somebody else deserves to be left alone. They will not inherit the earth, but then neither will I. . . . And I have learned to live, as it were, with the idea that I will never find peace and happiness, either. But as long as I know there's a pretty good chance I can get my hands on either one of them every once in a while, I do the best I can between high spots."
--Hunter S. Thompson

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
I'm not even going to bother

I'm not even going to bother with this. It's too stupid to waste time on.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
User is offlineOffline
iwbiek wrote:goddammit, it's

iwbiek wrote:
goddammit, it's not "a new hope." it's fuckin' "star wars." just like "raiders of the lost ark" is not fuckin' "indiana jones and the raiders of the lost ark." goddamn sisterfucking revisionist directors...

It is "A New Hope" as retitled in 1981.

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote:I'm not even

Vastet wrote:
I'm not even going to bother with this. It's too stupid to waste time on.

You don't have an opinion on it and I moved this subject over to a new thread because I felt the OP of the other thread was being hijacked.

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
digitalbeachbum wrote:It is

digitalbeachbum wrote:

well, my old VHS copy growing up (definitely post-'81) didn't have "a new hope" anywhere on it. neither did the THX remastered one that came out in 1995. neither did the 1997 special edition release. i think lucas started insisting on "a new hope" right around the time he stuck hayden christensen in "jedi." (why??? anakin was old when he died! you don't see ewan mcgregor as ghost obi-wan.)

anyhow, i think there's a good reason for it to be titled "star wars": "a new hope" is like the worst movie title ever, especially for a sci-fi adventure movie.

"I have never felt comfortable around people who talk about their feelings for Jesus, or any other deity for that matter, because they are usually none too bright. . . . Or maybe 'stupid' is a better way of saying it; but I have never seen much point in getting heavy with either stupid people or Jesus freaks, just as long as they don't bother me. In a world as weird and cruel as this one we have made for ourselves, I figure anybody who can find peace and personal happiness without ripping off somebody else deserves to be left alone. They will not inherit the earth, but then neither will I. . . . And I have learned to live, as it were, with the idea that I will never find peace and happiness, either. But as long as I know there's a pretty good chance I can get my hands on either one of them every once in a while, I do the best I can between high spots."
--Hunter S. Thompson

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
User is offlineOffline
iwbiek wrote:digitalbeachbum

iwbiek wrote:
digitalbeachbum wrote:

well, my old VHS copy growing up (definitely post-'81) didn't have "a new hope" anywhere on it. neither did the THX remastered one that came out in 1995. neither did the 1997 special edition release. i think lucas started insisting on "a new hope" right around the time he stuck hayden christensen in "jedi." (why??? anakin was old when he died! you don't see ewan mcgregor as ghost obi-wan.)
anyhow, i think there's a good reason for it to be titled "star wars": "a new hope" is like the worst movie title ever, especially for a sci-fi adventure movie.

The 1981 re-release has the subtitle "Episode IV: A NEW HOPE" which was also added to the opening title crawl upon the film's 1981 re-release, one year after Episode V was released with its full title. 

As for every thing else concerning Lucas I think the old fart is senile and has been for over twenty-five years.