Man ordered to stop infecting people with HIV

harleysportster
atheist
harleysportster's picture
User is offlineOffline
Man ordered to stop infecting people with HIV

Is it me, or is a court simply telling this man to stop spreading the illness or else one of the dumbest things that I have ever heard of. I thought it was illegal in most states to knowingly spread the virus ? But in this case, it seems they are just saying : "Stop doing that or you will be infected". Also why protect his identity in the news article. Hell, if it were me I would stick his face, name, and address on the news report, along with a phone number. 

www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-29168782

HIV-positive man ordered to stop virus by Seattle court

A Seattle judge has ordered an HIV-positive man to stop spreading the disease and to seek treatment after he infected eight people in four years.

The man, known only as "AO" in court documents, is required to show up for counselling and to protect future sexual partners.

Officials maintain they are not trying to criminalise sexual activity but to protect public health.

The man could face fines or jail time if he does not comply.

About 50,000 people in the US are newly infected with HIV every year, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). About 16% of the 1.1 million people living with the virus do not know they are infected.

AO tested positive for HIV in 2008 and spread the virus to at least eight people in 2010-14, according to court documents viewed by local news media.

He had done so despite receiving HIV counselling - including how to practise safe sex - five times, the Seattle Times reports.

In a statement, the King County Public Health department said it had only sought a cease-and-desist order against an HIV-positive individual once before, in 1993.

"We're not trying to criminalise sexual behaviour here," Dr Matthew Golden, director of public health at the county's HIV programme, told the Seattle Times.

"We are trying to protect the public's health. And we're trying to make sure that everyone gets the care they need, including the person involved in this."

“It is proof of a base and low mind for one to wish to think with the masses or majority, merely because the majority is the majority. Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people.”
― Giordano Bruno

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Recently there was a case

Recently there was a case where it was, foolishly, decided that not telling your partner you have HIV was decriminalised simply because the disease doesn't carry a 100% fatality rate anymore. Personally, I'd kill anyone who lied about it to me. Slowly and painfully. And then I'd kill as many of the cops who came after me as I could. If the state refuses it's required duty to protect the people, then the people must take justice into their own hands. The idea that deliberately infecting people with a life altering and potentially fatal disease isn't criminal is itself criminal.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.