Good thing they gave Bama his peace prize early.

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
Good thing they gave Bama his peace prize early.

Well it looks like we are headed into yet another war. Is anyone keeping track of the number of countries we are bombing? While I don't feel much over a few ISIS scumbags being turned into an eccentric art piece, I have little hope that these bombings are going to do a bit of good. They certainly haven't done much anywhere else. Bombing is an effective method to support troops on the ground, it isn't such an effective method of winning a war, with the possible exception of going nuclear. So can the Nobel committee revoke a peace prize? This President has been just as warlike as our last five, perhaps more. Hell, Obama only needs 6 more military actions to have commanded more troop actions than Reagan, which he is on track to do with ordering 3-5 military actions a year (not including those actions started by GW). Of course, Reagan wasn't the most militarily active president we have had in the last 30 years, so Obama would still only be in second place. Anyone care to guess which president ordered the most military actions during their term? 

If, if a white man puts his arm around me voluntarily, that's brotherhood. But if you - if you hold a gun on him and make him embrace me and pretend to be friendly or brotherly toward me, then that's not brotherhood, that's hypocrisy.- Malcolm X

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
without looking it up, i'm

without looking it up, i'm guessing bubba. he was never shy about throwing troops at anything, which is why the typical repub claim that he didn't do enough to stop bin laden really is bullshit. he tried damn hard to kill that slippery little bastard, just like everything else.

"I have never felt comfortable around people who talk about their feelings for Jesus, or any other deity for that matter, because they are usually none too bright. . . . Or maybe 'stupid' is a better way of saying it; but I have never seen much point in getting heavy with either stupid people or Jesus freaks, just as long as they don't bother me. In a world as weird and cruel as this one we have made for ourselves, I figure anybody who can find peace and personal happiness without ripping off somebody else deserves to be left alone. They will not inherit the earth, but then neither will I. . . . And I have learned to live, as it were, with the idea that I will never find peace and happiness, either. But as long as I know there's a pretty good chance I can get my hands on either one of them every once in a while, I do the best I can between high spots."
--Hunter S. Thompson

Jeffrick
High Level DonorRational VIP!SuperfanGold Member
Jeffrick's picture
User is offlineOffline
How do you count??

F.Rooseveldt did one or thousands. His declaration of war on December 8,1941 is ONE action that lasted 4 years. OR the fact that he often reminded his generals and admirals He was the commander in chief and he had and used the last word on all their operations. I personally would count it has ONE.

I think J Kennedy might hold the record, do you count coups; Maybe a dozen or more coup-de-tete in Latin America alone, the CIA involved in everyone of them. Plus the Carribean and Asia; Viet Nam, Cambodia, Laos etc. Kennedy was supposedly on the phone with the CIA station chief in Saigon hearing a play-by-play of Diemhs violent removable from office.

"Very funny Scotty; now beam down our clothes."

VEGETARIAN: Ancient Hindu word for "lousy hunter"

If man was formed from dirt, why is there still dirt?

harleysportster
atheist
harleysportster's picture
User is offlineOffline
iwbiek wrote:without looking

iwbiek wrote:
without looking it up, i'm guessing bubba. he was never shy about throwing troops at anything, which is why the typical repub claim that he didn't do enough to stop bin laden really is bullshit. he tried damn hard to kill that slippery little bastard, just like everything else.

I think you might be right according to this article :

www.heritage.org/research/reports/2001/02/the-use-and-abuse-of-executive-orders-and-other-presidential-directives

(Of course, this article is really old, so I can not say for sure) But an excerpt reads :

A President who abuses his executive order authority undermines the constitutional separation of powers and may even violate it. History will show that President Clinton abused his authority in a variety of ways and that his disrespect for the rule of law was unprecedented. Given this pattern, no one should be surprised that President Clinton sometimes abused his executive order authority as well. But it would be a mistake to try to restrict a President's lawful and proper executive order authority because of one abusive President.

Moreover, defenders of executive authority will find much in President Clinton's use of executive orders and proclamations that is instructive--even if they dispute the lawfulness or policy goals of the individual decrees. In short, some helpful lessons can be learned from recent experience about how an aggressive President can use his power for appropriate and beneficial purposes, and these lessons can help guide the current and future Presidents of the United States in making executive decisions.

(Not saying that this piece does not seem a bit opinionated nor do I agree totally with it necessarily. But that was the first coherent link that Google popped up that had something to do with it. I confess that there are certain assholes at work that I deal with that pride themselves on having scholarly knowledge because of Google (when most of them could not find their ass with both hands and a flashlight). I call them Internet Intellectuals. The type of people who look up two quick links on Communism and think they are an expert on Lenin. But in this case, I had to resort to being an Internet Intellectual.) 

“It is proof of a base and low mind for one to wish to think with the masses or majority, merely because the majority is the majority. Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people.”
― Giordano Bruno

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
i'm an internet intellectual

i'm an internet intellectual on a lot of things, but i don't dare try to speak with any authority about them. the internet is a great jumping-off point for serious research: it helps you formulate questions and is the best source for finding raw facts quickly, as long as you make sure to triple-check them. it just isn't any substitute for serious research.

"I have never felt comfortable around people who talk about their feelings for Jesus, or any other deity for that matter, because they are usually none too bright. . . . Or maybe 'stupid' is a better way of saying it; but I have never seen much point in getting heavy with either stupid people or Jesus freaks, just as long as they don't bother me. In a world as weird and cruel as this one we have made for ourselves, I figure anybody who can find peace and personal happiness without ripping off somebody else deserves to be left alone. They will not inherit the earth, but then neither will I. . . . And I have learned to live, as it were, with the idea that I will never find peace and happiness, either. But as long as I know there's a pretty good chance I can get my hands on either one of them every once in a while, I do the best I can between high spots."
--Hunter S. Thompson

harleysportster
atheist
User is offlineOffline
iwbiek wrote:i'm an internet

iwbiek wrote:
i'm an internet intellectual on a lot of things, but i don't dare try to speak with any authority about them. the internet is a great jumping-off point for serious research: it helps you formulate questions and is the best source for finding raw facts quickly, as long as you make sure to triple-check them. it just isn't any substitute for serious research.

Well yes, that is what I meant. I have this landlord that thinks he can just do a quick google search on something and thus, now can speak with total authority on any subject. But then again, he is one of those people that if you have done something, he has done it too, only done it ten times better. 

For instance, he is the one who not too long ago claimed that "The Gospel of Mary" is the most accurate description of the Bible. (He claims to be some sort of spiritual but not organized religion type) His source ? The History Channel. 

When I had told him that the so called : 'Gospel of Mary" is nothing more than a couple of pages of prophecy talk and nothing of substance, he responded that they "PROVED" it was the real deal while the rest of the Bible is a lie. 

Just another idiot that was not even worth discussing it with. Granted, most of the time, I simply pay him my rent, ignore his latest "PROOF" and say nothing as I walk out of his office, but sometimes, I feel he needs his high horse kicked out from underneath him. Smiling

Just like he has "PROOF" that Jesus faked his own death and blah, blah blah. More annoying than the fundies to me if you want to know the truth. 

“It is proof of a base and low mind for one to wish to think with the masses or majority, merely because the majority is the majority. Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people.”
― Giordano Bruno

danatemporary
danatemporary's picture
User is offlineOffline
Short on time w/ this but . . .Gnostics focus on a true identity

harleysportster wrote:

iwbiek wrote:

Well yes, that is what I meant. I have this landlord that thinks he can just do a quick google search on something and thus, now can speak with total authority on any subject.

For instance, he is the one who not too long ago claimed that "The Gospel of Mary" is the most accurate description of the Bible.

When I had told him that the so called : 'Gospel of Mary" is nothing more than a couple of pages of prophecy talk and nothing of substance, he responded that they "PROVED" it was the real deal

. . blah, blah blah. More annoying than the fundies to me if you want to know the truth. 

As as wrote sometime before, people "will often make a common flaw of reading Gnostic works in isolation", suffice it to say, which would be like the worse thing a person could do by the content of the text and their very nature. That is a laugh, fore the those gnostic texts are notoriously difficult to understand, due many to a cursory approach, it would make it almost impossible to get at what the original authors meaning by scanning one text, (rather than dealing with it as a grouping).  Of all the things to take that approach with, especially seeing it's all very intricate (See:: Frontline's opening comments Here or Below),.

Because I am short on time . .   I am going to quote from something I wrote earlier and the opening remarks of a show done on Public Broadcasting's Frontline

Danatemporary wrote:
 Anglican Priest Pete Owen Jones, for BBCFour, presented a documentary of 2nd Century Gnostic texts wrote: "I wanted to know about the promise of eternal life held in these enigmatic teachings, from the 2nd Century; and about the historical context to the people who believed in them. So I (the Anglican) joined Bart Ehrman about a mere glimpse of the almost forgotten world that allowed the Gospel of Thomas in which to flourish."Bart Ehrman (pictured): ''About one of the finds from the Nag Hammadi codex(ices) In this 'Lost' Gospel's emphases is that of 'secret knowledge' found in the pages of the Gospel of Thomas; the key to salvation lies in the secret knowledge, it is by learning the secret teachings found according Gnostic Gospel and by learning the secret teachings of Jesus. And knowing what they meant. In the early church there were groups of early christians known as Gnostics. The Greek word for knowledge was Gnosis, they were in the know. In my opinion the Gospel of Thomas is a Gnostic Gospel propounding a set of beliefs, if people *understand and internalize ? They will have eternal life. The reason the early church fathers found such objection to this, in part; Is because the way of salvation stood at odds with the way of salvation, says Ehrman.  According to these church fathers,  salvation was open to high and low; intelligent and unintelligent; rich and poor. But, according to these texts, it's only people in the know, those in the inside group, those with esoteric knowledge who could have salvation.(end quote)''

PBS's  FRONTLINE (( program/frontline ))

The Gospel of Mary

''In this gnostic gospel, Mary Magdalene appears as a disciple, singled out by Jesus for special teachings. In this excerpt, the other disciples are discouraged and grieving Jesus' death. Mary stands up and attempts to comfort them, reminding them that Jesus' presence remains with them. Peter asks her to tell them the words of Jesus which she remembers. To his surprise, she does not reminisce about past conversations with Jesus, but claims that Jesus spoke to her that very day in a vision.

But they were grieved. They wept greatly, saying, "How shall we go to the gentiles and preach the gospel of the kingdom of the Son of Man? If they did not spare him, how will they spare us?" Then Mary stood up, greeted them all, and said to her brethren, "Do not weep and do not grieve nor be irresolute, for His grace will be entirely with you and will protect you. But rather let us praise His greatness, for He has prepared us and made us into men." When Mary said this, she turned their hearts to the Good, and they began to discuss the words of the [Saviour].

Peter said to Mary, "Sister, we know that the Saviour loved you more than the rest of women. Tell us the words of the Saviour which you remember - which you know (but) we do not, nor have we heard them." Mary answered and said, "What is hidden from you I will proclaim to you." And she began to speak to them these words: "I," she said, "I saw the Lord in a vision and I said to him, 'Lord, I saw you today in a vision.' He answered and said to me, 'Blessed are you that you did not waver at the sight of me. For where the mind is, there is the treasure.' I said to him, 'Lord, how does he who sees the vision see it through the soul or through the spirit?' The Saviour answered and said, 'He does not see through the soul nor through the spirit, but the mind which [is] between the two - that is [what] sees the vision...'

(the mid-section of the original text is missing)

"[S] it. And desire that, 'I did not see you descending, but now I see you ascending. Why do you lie, since you belong to me?' The soul answered and said, 'I saw you. You did not see me nor recognise me. I served you as a garment, and you did not know me.' When it had said this, it went away rejoicing greatly.

"Again it came to the third power, which is called ignorance. It (the power) questioned the soul saying, 'Where are you going? In wickedness are you bound. But you are bound; do not judge!' And the soul said, 'Why do you judge me although I have not judged? I was bound though I have not bound. I was not recognised. But I have recognised that the All is being dissolved, both the earthly (things) and the heavenly'.

When the soul had overcome the third power, it went upwards and saw the fourth power, (which) took seven forms. The first form is darkness, the second desire, the third ignorance, the fourth is the excitement of death, the

fifth is the kingdom of the flesh, the sixth is the foolish wisdom of flesh, the seventh is the wrathful wisdom ect.

That should serve as a brief reminder what these texts are like but for a better example look at something I wrote eariler . . . URL  --  http://www.rationalresponders.com/forum/33613?page=16 Nu #812 and/or http://www.rationalresponders.com/forum/33613?page=16#comment-408896  ((http://www.rationalresponders.com/forum/34378 Nu# 3 and/or http://www.rationalresponders.com/forum/34378#comment-409445))

I never hooked up my Cable television service but DID get to catch part of something on PBS because I stopped in to a motel to keep from driving into the guard rail (it was so late).  I viewed something very similar

to this :: YouTube Video :: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S3oZrMGDMMw {http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S3oZrMGDMMw} 

Only the program was about the development of vaccines providing grounds for a prevention of many infectious diseases, and their spread.  My focus was drawn solely on the little infant child, mainly. Who was also a little girl but in the far greater respiratory distress than the example provided in the Video ( Theme ..)

Gnostic teachers claim to have seen a little newborn child which is identical with the divine Word (Valentinus)." (Jesus After 2000 Years, p. 592). 2 Tim . -- Henceforth in the future there is laid up for me the crown of righteousness, which .. ' the righteous Judge' , will award to me on that day; and not only to me, but also . . With much of the what the gnostics did focus on was concerning "our true identity", according to their system of thought.

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
harleysportster wrote:iwbiek

harleysportster wrote:

iwbiek wrote:

Well yes, that is what I meant. I have this landlord that thinks he can just do a quick google search on something and thus, now can speak with total authority on any subject. But then again, he is one of those people that if you have done something, he has done it too, only done it ten times better. 

For instance, he is the one who not too long ago claimed that "The Gospel of Mary" is the most accurate description of the Bible. (He claims to be some sort of spiritual but not organized religion type) His source ? The History Channel. 

When I had told him that the so called : 'Gospel of Mary" is nothing more than a couple of pages of prophecy talk and nothing of substance, he responded that they "PROVED" it was the real deal while the rest of the Bible is a lie. 

Just another idiot that was not even worth discussing it with. Granted, most of the time, I simply pay him my rent, ignore his latest "PROOF" and say nothing as I walk out of his office, but sometimes, I feel he needs his high horse kicked out from underneath him. Smiling

Just like he has "PROOF" that Jesus faked his own death and blah, blah blah. More annoying than the fundies to me if you want to know the truth. 

yeah, that's the kind of situation where i just say, "is that so?" it kills the conversation instantly and they look so deflated because nothing is worse than apathy for people like that.

--Hunter S. Thompson

harleysportster
atheist
User is offlineOffline
iwbiek wrote: yeah, that's

iwbiek wrote:

yeah, that's the kind of situation where i just say, "is that so?" it kills the conversation instantly and they look so deflated because nothing is worse than apathy for people like that.

I like that one. I can't wait to use it. 

In the past, I have been known to look at these people with total and complete boredom on my face and say : "And this is supposed to mean what to me ?" 

They really hate that one. 

― Giordano Bruno

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
I tend to just smirk. If I

I tend to just smirk. If I happen to have a friend or acquaintance to talk to, I'll often start chatting with them about how stupid the claims are, completely ignoring attempts to debate me directly, instead sticking with indirect ridicule.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
digitalbeachbum's picture
User is offlineOffline
iwbiek wrote:harleysportster

iwbiek wrote:
harleysportster wrote:

iwbiek wrote:

A beautiful Japanese girl whose parents owned a food store lived near Hakuin. One day, without any warning, her parents discovered she was pregnant. This made her parents angry. She would not confess who the man was, but after much harassment at last named Hakuin. In great anger the parents went to the master. "Is that so?" was all he would say. After the child was born it was brought to Hakuin. By this time he had lost his reputation, which did not trouble him, but he took very good care of the child. He obtained milk from his neighbors and everything else the child needed. A year later the girl could stand it no longer. She told her parents the truth - the real father of the child was a young man who worked in the fish market. The mother and father of the girl at once went to Hakuin to ask forgiveness, to apologize at length, and to get the child back. Hakuin willingly yielded the child, saying only: "Is that so?"

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
digitalbeachbum wrote:iwbiek

digitalbeachbum wrote:

iwbiek wrote:
harleysportster wrote:

iwbiek wrote:

A beautiful Japanese girl whose parents owned a food store lived near Hakuin. One day, without any warning, her parents discovered she was pregnant. This made her parents angry. She would not confess who the man was, but after much harassment at last named Hakuin. In great anger the parents went to the master. "Is that so?" was all he would say. After the child was born it was brought to Hakuin. By this time he had lost his reputation, which did not trouble him, but he took very good care of the child. He obtained milk from his neighbors and everything else the child needed. A year later the girl could stand it no longer. She told her parents the truth - the real father of the child was a young man who worked in the fish market. The mother and father of the girl at once went to Hakuin to ask forgiveness, to apologize at length, and to get the child back. Hakuin willingly yielded the child, saying only: "Is that so?"

thank you, rudyard kipling.

--Hunter S. Thompson

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Obama could shit gold

Obama could shit gold Beyond and you'd blame him for the extinction of the dinosaurs.

Bush started the fucking war on a lie, and you only have BUSH to blame for the troop removal deadline BUSH signed with Iraq before Obama was ellected the first time. 

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
User is offlineOffline
iwbiek wrote:digitalbeachbum

iwbiek wrote:
digitalbeachbum wrote:

iwbiek wrote:

thank you, rudyard kipling.

LOL

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:Bush started

Brian37 wrote:

Bush started the fucking war on a lie, and you only have BUSH to blame for the troop removal deadline BUSH signed with Iraq before Obama was ellected the first time. 

That's the first post from you in a really long time which I was willing to read but also agreed with 100%.

Obama is not to blame for the removal of the troops. It was a done deal two years before he took office. He, well his people, tried to renegotiate the terms and keep troops and a base there but the new government didn't want it.

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:Bush started

Brian37 wrote:

Yes, and I am not talking about the first invasion of Iraq dumb ass. We are currently involved in military actions in many countries OTHER than Afghanistan and Iraq. Somalia, Pakistan, Yemen, Indonesia, Syria and various others which Bama could stop in an instant and don't carry the logistical difficulty that pulling out of Afghanistan and Iraq pose. Obama could literally stop our drone bombings and special forces raids overnight. He doesn't even have legal support from Congress to be conducting (and yes, I know Presidents over the last 100 years have made similar use with congressional approval.) But since there is no congressional declaration, it is SOLELY in his power to stop it. He said he would, he campaigned on stopping it, it was why he got the fucking Nobel Peace Prize. He HASN'T stopped it. He has INCREASED it.  

Now he is talking about getting us into Iraq again, when they are even less capable of building WMD's than they were when Bush lied about it. Of course, you opposed the Iraq war when Bush was doing it, but now that Obama wants to go back you are ready to line up as lick his ass, probably because you seem convinced that gold is going to come out of it. Hate to break it to you, Bama's shit is just as shitty as Bush's shit.

I'm sick of this fucking shit. I've lost enough people that I care about in these worthless fucking wars and you fucking petty partisan shitheads line up with your petty fucking food fights while great men go over seas and get their damn limbs blown off, take bullets, sometimes die and often come back with all sorts of mental problems. Not the least of which is putting up with self absorbed shitheads like you whining about their measly little American "problems" like they are serious without tearing your head off after experiencing the real shit life has to offer. 

Then some chickenhawk like you who would piss his jammies jumping out of a Phrog before you even got shot at sit there and accuse me of being some fucking partisan hack and only being against it because I don't love Bama. Go fuck yourself. We should reinstate the draft and send assholes like you out there to do the dirty work. I'll personally throw your ass out the chopper myself. (Hell, I would pay good money for that opportunity)  

If, if a white man puts his arm around me voluntarily, that's brotherhood. But if you - if you hold a gun on him and make him embrace me and pretend to be friendly or brotherly toward me, then that's not brotherhood, that's hypocrisy.- Malcolm X