NFL Suicide Pool

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
digitalbeachbum's picture
User is offlineOffline
NFL Suicide Pool

I'd like to propose a suicide pool here for the remainder of the season.

Each week pick one team to win, but you can not pick that team again for the rest of the season. All picks must be made before game time. I'll login and check then keep a record.

No money involved. Just for fun.

If you want to join in just post your picks for next week here. Here is next the schedule next week.

Thursday, September 11

Steelers8:25 PM
Ravens

Sunday, September 14

Dolphins1:00 PM
Bills
Saints1:00 PM
Browns

Lions1:00 PM
Panthers
Falcons1:00 PM
Bengals

Cowboys1:00 PM
Titans
Jaguars1:00 PM
Redskins

Patriots1:00 PM
Vikings
Cardinals1:00 PM
Giants

Seahawks4:05 PM
Chargers
Rams4:05 PM
Buccaneers

Chiefs4:25 PM
Broncos
Jets4:25 PM
Packers

Texans4:25 PM
Raiders
Bears8:30 PM
49ers

Monday, September 15

Eagles8:30 PM
Colts

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Tampa Bay all the way, it

Tampa Bay all the way, it is their best chance to win all year, they have a tough schedule. 

If, if a white man puts his arm around me voluntarily, that's brotherhood. But if you - if you hold a gun on him and make him embrace me and pretend to be friendly or brotherly toward me, then that's not brotherhood, that's hypocrisy.- Malcolm X

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
User is offlineOffline
I'll take Seahawks over

I'll take Seahawks over Chargers. I don't have a feel for the season yet so I'll go with the better defense.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
 My know it all brain isn't

My know it all brain isn't understanding this.

You can't pick that team again? 

I'm up for a pick the winners each week, done that before, but not sure how this works. I ate lead paint as a kid, my mom called them cornflakes. How was I supposed to know?

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote: My know it

Brian37 wrote:

I'm up for a pick the winners each week, done that before, but not sure how this works. I ate lead paint as a kid, my mom called them cornflakes. How was I supposed to know?

It's called a suicide pool. Normally I play one from a bar nearby. Buy in is $25 or $100 depending on the pool.

Each week we get to pick ONE winner. That means... one game... one winner.

That team, if you advance to the second round, can never be picked again for the rest of the season.

This causes a problem because the strategy is do I try to pick "the sure thing" early or do I gamble on the closer games and get some of the shitty teams out of the way?

I won two seasons in a row and got over $2000 each time, but haven't one since.

If you don't like the suicide pool we can change it to total picks for the week. I don't mind. I just thought it would be fun to do.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
digitalbeachbum

digitalbeachbum wrote:

Brian37 wrote:

It's called a suicide pool. Normally I play one from a bar nearby. Buy in is $25 or $100 depending on the pool.

Each week we get to pick ONE winner. That means... one game... one winner.

That team, if you advance to the second round, can never be picked again for the rest of the season.

This causes a problem because the strategy is do I try to pick "the sure thing" early or do I gamble on the closer games and get some of the shitty teams out of the way?

I won two seasons in a row and got over $2000 each time, but haven't one since.

If you don't like the suicide pool we can change it to total picks for the week. I don't mind. I just thought it would be fun to do.

Crap, still not understanding the concept. I'd go for the regular picks, but will have to possibly skip the Thursday night pick. Might have mine late tomorrow or before sunday. Gotta go to bed tonight WED early got to wake up early tomorrow to take my mom out to an apt.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
All you do is pick one team

All you do is pick one team to win out of all the games. If your pick wins, then you move to week 2. If your team loses, you lose and are out for the rest of the season. The winner is the last person standing. Once you pick a team, you can never pick them again. That prevents you from simply rotating the top 3 or 4 teams each week. For example, digital went the safe route with Seahawks this week, which puts him at a near lock to advance. But towards the end, he might really be wishing he had such a solid team to pick. My choice of Tampa is a little risky (well not so much considering the complete disaster that is the Rams offense), but if I move on, I have all the top tier teams left to rely on and there is no way I will be sitting there thinking "boy, I really wish I could pick Tampa this week".

If, if a white man puts his arm around me voluntarily, that's brotherhood. But if you - if you hold a gun on him and make him embrace me and pretend to be friendly or brotherly toward me, then that's not brotherhood, that's hypocrisy.- Malcolm X

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Screw that, I suck at that

Screw that, I suck at that type of shit. I don't even do that points betting. Better odds with mores samples.

I got it now, yea it is simple but no. I'll go with the standard picks.

Jeffrick
High Level DonorRational VIP!SuperfanGold Member
Jeffrick's picture
User is offlineOffline
Giving it a shotè

I pick the Jaguars over the D.C. First nations team. That way I can save the sure bets for later in the season.

"Very funny Scotty; now beam down our clothes."

VEGETARIAN: Ancient Hindu word for "lousy hunter"

If man was formed from dirt, why is there still dirt?

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Thursday 11 Baltimore over

Thursday 11 Baltimore over Pitt

Miami over Buff

Washington over Jax

Dallas over Tenn

New York G over Cards

NE over Minn

NO over Browns

Atlanta over Cinn

Panthers over Detroit

Seattle over SD

Texans over Raiders

Green Bay over Jets

SF over Bears

Mon Eagles over Colts

Jeffrick
Jeffrick's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote: Thursday 11

Brian37 wrote:

Thursday 11 Baltimore over Pitt

Miami over Buff

Washington over Jax

Dallas over Tenn

New York G over Cards

NE over Minn

NO over Browns

Atlanta over Cinn

Panthers over Detroit

Seattle over SD

Texans over Raiders

Green Bay over Jets

SF over Bears

Mon Eagles over Colts

Pick ONE (1) Brian 37; That is!!!!!!!!!! the name of this game.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Separate this then for

Separate this then for another thread because I'm not doing this part I would suck at that. Or I can start another thread for those who want to make all the pics.

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote: Separate

Brian37 wrote:

Separate this then for another thread because I'm not doing this part I would suck at that. Or I can start another thread for those who want to make all the pics.

REALLY? Are you always this difficult? We aren't even betting money. Just pick one game, one winner. That's all. Do it to humor me.

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
Jeffrick wrote: I

Jeffrick wrote:
I pick the Jaguars over the D.C. First nations team. That way I can save the sure bets for later in the season.

Gutsy, I like it. But I think Jags win, they aren't as bad as they were last year. 

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
digitalbeachbum

digitalbeachbum wrote:

Brian37 wrote:

REALLY? Are you always this difficult?

lol

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Beyond Saving

Beyond Saving wrote:

digitalbeachbum wrote:

Brian37 wrote:

REALLY? Are you always this difficult?

lol

No I was just saying I suck at this type of thing. No one has to start another thread just for me. Vegas odds say play blackjack  not not roulette. More hands(games) to pick, more chances at being on top at the end of the season.

Fine, I pick the Yankees. No chance of loosing. Guess that means I win. HA HA HA......

Meh, you guys have fun with this without me. My mom and I are doing the other anyway.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Jeffrick wrote: I

Jeffrick wrote:

Natives scream about a nickname that they originally picked themselves, and scream about it long after it stopped being a slur, but I never hear them organize to get Andrew Jackson off of our 20.

If I had a nickle every time I heard a TV preacher blame disasters and disease on atheists I'd be rich. So I guess I shouldn't call myself an atheist because other people use it as a slur?

I am to the point where I really do not care. It is just a sport, I am not getting rich off of it, and I think poverty and pollution and war are far more important to worry about than a bunch of billionaires utlimately selling hats and shirts. If they do change the name just don't make it stupid like "Wizzards".

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Fine, I'll take Baltimore

Fine, I'll take Baltimore over the Steelers even though the game is over Ha! Retrofit like a theist....... Steelers had a minor boo boo.

FINE FINE FINE 

Seattle over the Rams.....Yea no guts. 

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote: Fine, I'll

Brian37 wrote:

Fine, I'll take Baltimore over the Steelers even though the game is over Ha! Retrofit like a theist....... Steelers had a minor boo boo.

FINE FINE FINE 

Seattle over the Rams.....Yea no guts. 

Was it so painful?

Yes, cheap pick. Seattle over the Rams. I hope it doesn't come back to bite me.

Jeffrick
Jeffrick's picture
User is offlineOffline
Jeffrick wrote: I pick

Jeffrick wrote:

I wasn,t even close, Cousins is proving to be better then RG III. does this mean I,m out of the pool

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
Jeffrick wrote:Jeffrick

Jeffrick wrote:
Jeffrick wrote:
I wasn,t even close, Cousins is proving to be better then RG III. does this mean I,m out of the pool

Yeah. I missed the game because I was in Cleveland watching Manziels underwhelming debut in person. But everyone else is losing the pool too lol. I am the only one still in and only one point up.

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Lol we all suck. So do I

Lol we all suck. So do I win for picking the team that lost by the least?

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
User is offlineOffline
I did a pool through another

I did a pool through another office and last week I won easy. This week we have a four way tie.

I knew going in it would be a lot of toss ups, but Seattle losing is like "huh?"

It's difficult to make picks any more. Teams like the 70's Steelers, Cowboys or Dolphins and the 49'ers during the 80's are a bye-gone era. Free agency allows star players to leave a team and make more money even if they don't get a ring.

IF Beyond is the only person left then we will use rules from my local pub to continue for the rest of the season.

Beyond for the rest of the season gets to make two picks each week, the rest of us can only make one pick.

I'll post results and new schedules on Wednesday.

(edit) ok we all lost. So every thing just rolls over.

You can make you pick at any time, however I like to wait until Vegas odds are posted in the middle of the week.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Beyond Saving wrote:Jeffrick

Beyond Saving wrote:

Jeffrick wrote:

Gutsy, I like it. But I think Jags win, they aren't as bad as they were last year. 

Check the scorboard, that was huge W for the Skins.

Well so much for me picking the Seahawks. I'm out.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Beyond Saving wrote: Lol we

Beyond Saving wrote:

Lol we all suck. So do I win for picking the team that lost by the least?

No you called a time out before you scored, play didn't count.

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
digitalbeachbum wrote:I did

digitalbeachbum wrote:

I did a pool through another office and last week I won easy. This week we have a four way tie.

I knew going in it would be a lot of toss ups, but Seattle losing is like "huh?"

It's difficult to make picks any more. Teams like the 70's Steelers, Cowboys or Dolphins and the 49'ers during the 80's are a bye-gone era. Free agency allows star players to leave a team and make more money even if they don't get a ring.

Yeah, the NFL has done a great job creating a system that keeps the teams competitive so that any given Sunday, any team can win. I never would have picked San Diego, but based on what I've seen in the recaps, they had a superior game plan and Seattle was unable to adapt quickly enough despite having a team that I believe is undeniably more talented. 

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
User is offlineOffline
WEEK #3 PICKS

Thursday, September 18

Buccaneers8:25 PM
Falcons

Sunday, September 21

Chargers1:00 PM
Bills
Ravens1:00 PM
Browns

Titans1:00 PM
Bengals
Cowboys1:00 PM
Rams

Packers1:00 PM
Lions
Texans1:00 PM
Giants

Colts1:00 PM
Jaguars
Vikings1:00 PM
Saints

Raiders1:00 PM
Patriots
Redskins1:00 PM
Eagles

49ers4:05 PM
Cardinals
Broncos4:25 PM
Seahawks

Chiefs4:25 PM
Dolphins
Steelers8:30 PM
Panthers

Monday, September 22

Bears8:30 PM
Jets

All times are in Eastern Time

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
User is offlineOffline
My week 3 picks

I'll take New England over the Oakland Raiders.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
 I'll take the Redskins

I'll take the Redskins over the Eagles.....DAMN RIGHT Sapient. Your birdies are going down Mr!

Jeffrick
Jeffrick's picture
User is offlineOffline
digitalbeachbum wrote:I'll

digitalbeachbum wrote:

Easy one digital......

I take the Packers over the Lions.

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
User is offlineOffline
Jeffrick

Jeffrick wrote:
digitalbeachbum wrote:

Easy one digital...... I take the Packers over the Lions.

That's what I thought last time but I still lost.

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Texans over the Giants. I

Texans over the Giants. I think I can count on Eli to throw a pick or three. 

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
 4 hours away from doomsday

4 hours away from doomsday for my Skins, I am taking them in this "suicide pool" the game is in Philly so.

SOMEBODY PLEASE HELP ME!

Jeffrick
Jeffrick's picture
User is offlineOffline
Jeffrick

Jeffrick wrote:
digitalbeachbum wrote:

Easy one digital......

I take the Packers over the Lions.

Effin' two weeks in a row and I ain't even in a close finale. Digital you won but it wasn't easy, St.Thomas of Brady is looking real average, maybe age is catching up with him.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
 You know what Brian

You know what Brian Sapeint? FUCK YOU. I hate green and I hope the flees of a thousand camels infest your yoghart

I HATE BIRDIES AND I HATE GREEN!  NEENER AND MIGHT I ADD NEENER!

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote: You know

Brian37 wrote:

You know what Brian Sapeint? FUCK YOU. I hate green and I hope the flees of a thousand camels infest your yoghart

I HATE BIRDIES AND I HATE GREEN!  NEENER AND MIGHT I ADD NEENER!

Redskins deserved to have their heads chopped off. That late hit on Foles was complete bullshit

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
User is offlineOffline
 Well it looks like I was

Well it looks like I was the only one who won.