Marry a Duck

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
Marry a Duck

Quote:

(RNS) Fueling debates over marriage and religious freedom, a federal judge declared on Dec. 13 Utah laws criminalizing polygamy are unconstitutional, ruling on a case involving the Brown family from TLC’s reality series “Sister Wives.”

Social conservatives who have argued for marriage solely between one man and one woman have long warned that allowing gay marriage would ultimately lead to allowing polygamy — an argument that’s both feared and rejected by gay marriage proponents.

Perhaps not surprisingly, groups advocating for legalizing gay marriage were quiet in response, saying that legalizing polygamy is not part of their mandate.

At the same time, proponents of traditional marriage did a victory lap of sorts, saying their worst fears are starting to come true.

“Same-sex marriage advocates have told us that people ought to be able to ‘marry who they love’ but have also always downplayed the idea that this would lead to legalized polygamy, a practice that very often victimizes women and children,” said Tony Perkins, president of Family Research Council, in a statement on Monday (Dec. 16).

“But if love and mutual consent become the definition of what the boundaries of marriage are, can we as a society any longer even define marriage coherently?”

The case involves the cast of “Sister Wives,” which entered its fourth season earlier this year, featuring Kody Brown and his four wives. The Browns are members of a fundamentalist Mormon group, not part of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, which does not condone the practice of polygamy.

“While we know that many people do not approve of plural families, it is our family and based on our beliefs,” Kody Brown said in a statement. ”Just as we respect the personal and religious choices of other families, we hope that in time all of our neighbors and fellow citizens will come to respect our own choices.”...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/12/17/utah-polygamy-court-ruling_n_4455706.html

If, if a white man puts his arm around me voluntarily, that's brotherhood. But if you - if you hold a gun on him and make him embrace me and pretend to be friendly or brotherly toward me, then that's not brotherhood, that's hypocrisy.- Malcolm X

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
136 years after polygamy

136 years after polygamy bans were upheld by Reynolds v. United States [98 US 145] (1878) a court finally ruled in favor of polygamists. Although, this isn't a direct contradiction to the Supreme Court ruling, the judge merely ruled that people could say they are married and can live together. They are still legally prevented from actually getting multiple marriage licenses. Until we can simply remove government completely from marriage, I think this is a small step in the right direction.

So Bill, get your favorite duck an engagement ring.

If, if a white man puts his arm around me voluntarily, that's brotherhood. But if you - if you hold a gun on him and make him embrace me and pretend to be friendly or brotherly toward me, then that's not brotherhood, that's hypocrisy.- Malcolm X

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
136 years after polygamy

Or maybe even all your favorite ducks.

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
digitalbeachbum's picture
User is offlineOffline
I'm in full support of

I'm in full support of polygamy provided it isn't that cult shit where the leader gets to fuck the young virgins and then decide who gets the left overs. That entire setup is a haven for pedo's. Having sex with kids is bullshit.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
I've never has a strong

I've never has a strong opinion on this subject. There's too much conflicting information, and I personally have never had a desire for multiple wives, nor to be one husband of many. But if that's what people want, and noone is getting hurt, then I'll support it as a part of supporting freedom

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
ProzacDeathWish's picture
User is offlineOffline
digitalbeachbum wrote:Having

digitalbeachbum wrote:
Having sex with kids is bullshit.

My dad was 16 years old when he married my 19 year old mother.  My paternal grandmother signed the consent form in 1949.

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
User is offlineOffline
ProzacDeathWish

ProzacDeathWish wrote:

digitalbeachbum wrote:
Having sex with kids is bullshit.

My dad was 16 years old when he married my 19 year old mother.  My paternal grandmother signed the consent form in 1949.

It is the starting point for a buffer of 16-18 years where I believe most are not mature enough to be considered consenting adults; it's a grey line for me.

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
User is offlineOffline
 Both of my parents were

Both of my parents were born in the 1930's which was a much different era than today, neither my mother or father led a pampered existence in any sense ( both were born on farms during the Depression ).  They were raised by their parents to be responsible for their own actions, etc.   They were married for over 50 years, raised three sons, my dad comfortably retired and spent his last days playing golf and riding his motorcycles.  84 year old mother still living with no money worries.  They did okay.   

Kids of today ?   Yes I would be more inclined to agree with your POV.

Incidentally, in my experiences there are a lot of adults who aren't mature enough to get married and raise children.

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
User is offlineOffline
ProzacDeathWish wrote: Both

ProzacDeathWish wrote:

Both of my parents were born in the 1930's which was a much different era than today, neither my mother or father led a pampered existence in any sense ( both were born on farms during the Depression ).  They were raised by their parents to be responsible for their own actions, etc.   They were married for over 50 years, raised three sons, my dad comfortably retired and spent his last days playing golf and riding his motorcycles.  84 year old mother still living with no money worries.  They did okay.   

Kids of today ?   Yes I would be more inclined to agree with your POV.

Incidentally, in my experiences there are a lot of adults who aren't mature enough to get married and raise children.

It was a different time. My parents married at 16 and 19, I believe.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
digitalbeachbum wrote:I'm in

digitalbeachbum wrote:

I'm in full support of polygamy provided it isn't that cult shit where the leader gets to fuck the young virgins and then decide who gets the left overs. That entire setup is a haven for pedo's. Having sex with kids is bullshit.

Won't happen. It is a religious sanctioned idea and the same people who use a holy book to justify it are dead set against a woman having muliple husbands like men have multiple wives.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
User is offlineOffline
Beyond Saving wrote: 136

Beyond Saving wrote:

136 years after polygamy bans were upheld by Reynolds v. United States [98 US 145] (1878) a court finally ruled in favor of polygamists. Although, this isn't a direct contradiction to the Supreme Court ruling, the judge merely ruled that people could say they are married and can live together. They are still legally prevented from actually getting multiple marriage licenses. Until we can simply remove government completely from marriage, I think this is a small step in the right direction.

So Bill, get your favorite duck an engagement ring.

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/oddnews/woman-in-india-marries-dog-to-ward-off-evil-194029727.html

Ah... marry a dog

harleysportster
atheist
harleysportster's picture
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote:I've never has

Vastet wrote:
I've never has a strong opinion on this subject. There's too much conflicting information, and I personally have never had a desire for multiple wives, nor to be one husband of many. But if that's what people want, and noone is getting hurt, then I'll support it as a part of supporting freedom

One full time girlfriend that thinks she is in charge is more than enough for me to handle Smiling And some days a bitt too much to handle and the desire to sleep alone is prevalent. Of course, there have been many a night where I did end up sleeping on the couch in spite of all. But FOUR or FIVE of them ? I'd commit suicide. 

“It is proof of a base and low mind for one to wish to think with the masses or majority, merely because the majority is the majority. Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people.”
― Giordano Bruno

danatemporary
danatemporary's picture
User is offlineOffline
My own mother married at the age of sixteen, believe or not . .

http://fc09.deviantart.net/fs50/i/2009/309/7/b/DOGS_luki_and_noki_by_LOVEfromISA.jpg

ProzacDeathWish wrote:

ProzacDeathWish wrote:

ProzacDeathWish's dad was 16 years old when he married .. paternal grandmother signed the consent form in 1949.

digitalbeachbum wrote:

ProzacDeathWish wrote:

Both of my parents were born in the 1930's which was a much different era than today ..

It was a different time. My parents married at 16 and 19, I believe.

My mom married at the age of sixteen, believe it or not . . My dad almost became a life long bachelor, with him marrying, for the first time, much much later in life.  (( Cyclic nature of things is quite scary, huh ? Inside joke  with a 'friend' off site ))

Accept that every image, you are the only one who knows their relevance to you

Non-site --

So  What don't I know  . .  then ?!??

butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
User is offlineOffline
Lol, would it be like that

Lol, would it be like that bad Rodney Dangerfield movie?

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/my_five_wives/

Although, in polygamist societies, guys probably thought of their wives as their servants in a sense. They certainly wouldn't be bossing him around.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, | As I foretold you, were all spirits, and | Are melted into air, into thin air; | And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, | The cloud-capped towers, the gorgeous palaces, | The solemn temples, the great globe itself, - Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve, | And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, | Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff | As dreams are made on, and our little life | Is rounded with a sleep. - Shakespeare

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
User is offlineOffline
There is one or two

There is one or two countries which practice the reverse, Polyandry. Personally I think it's is totally acceptable and I find no different than gay marriage. As long as you aren't abusive in any relationship then so be it. If a person wanted out of the relationship then you should be mature enough to let them go.

danatemporary
danatemporary's picture
User is offlineOffline
Nu # 13

Nu # 13 a reply --

Stepparenting was necessary with proving a more difficult task with late teen Step children having already ensued,  from   my mom's  1st marriage

His stepdaughter became pregnant at a extremely early age.  My niece, who I am close to in age, remarked she never knew her grandfather, my mother's first husband . .

harleysportster
atheist
harleysportster's picture
User is offlineOffline
digitalbeachbum wrote:There

digitalbeachbum wrote:
There is one or two countries which practice the reverse, Polyandry. Personally I think it's is totally acceptable and I find no different than gay marriage. As long as you aren't abusive in any relationship then so be it. If a person wanted out of the relationship then you should be mature enough to let them go.

I don't believe that Polyandry would be something that I could get too into either. 

Me personally I do not care what other people do or not.

I am perfectly happy with whom I am with and she seems perfectly happy with me (at least on most days I hope. LOL) 

“It is proof of a base and low mind for one to wish to think with the masses or majority, merely because the majority is the majority. Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people.”
― Giordano Bruno

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
User is offlineOffline
harleysportster

harleysportster wrote:

digitalbeachbum wrote:

I don't believe that Polyandry would be something that I could get too into either. 

Me personally I do not care what other people do or not.

I am perfectly happy with whom I am with and she seems perfectly happy with me (at least on most days I hope. LOL) 

It is, I'm assuming encouraged by the government, to control the population.

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
monogamy is always pushed in

monogamy is always pushed in patriarchal cultures that value the nuclear family over everything else. ironically, the quranic idea of the family was a push against patriarchy and the nuclear family, both of which were on the rise in the relatively new, settled, urbanized arab culture of the seventh century. it was also a push back to the old nomadic, matriarchal (or at least semi-matriarchal) culture of the (at that time) recent past. matriarchal cultures, in which the wife goes to live in her mother-in-law's household, tend to value the extended family, and really have no conception of the nuclear family. orphans usually have a much easier time in such cultures, and adoptions are frequent and normal. it's no coincidence that muhammad was an orphan, in a time when nuclear families were on the rise and adoption on the decline, yet still a time when not being part of a family tribe meant having no protection: virtually a death sentence. the quran is chock full of statements charging the community to care for and protect orphans.

"I have never felt comfortable around people who talk about their feelings for Jesus, or any other deity for that matter, because they are usually none too bright. . . . Or maybe 'stupid' is a better way of saying it; but I have never seen much point in getting heavy with either stupid people or Jesus freaks, just as long as they don't bother me. In a world as weird and cruel as this one we have made for ourselves, I figure anybody who can find peace and personal happiness without ripping off somebody else deserves to be left alone. They will not inherit the earth, but then neither will I. . . . And I have learned to live, as it were, with the idea that I will never find peace and happiness, either. But as long as I know there's a pretty good chance I can get my hands on either one of them every once in a while, I do the best I can between high spots."
--Hunter S. Thompson

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
User is offlineOffline
iwbiek wrote:.... it's no

iwbiek wrote:
.... it's no coincidence that muhammad was an orphan, in a time when nuclear families were on the rise and adoption on the decline, yet still a time when not being part of a family tribe meant having no protection: virtually a death sentence. the quran is chock full of statements charging the community to care for and protect orphans.

That was then, this is now. Boko harum,  ISIS, etc  seems to have tossed those kindly precepts to the wind.  Perhaps they took a look at how the Old Tesatament Hebrew warriors operated because large numbers of their victims are  non-comabatants comprised of young children of both sexes.  The evidence is readily provided by their own cell-phone cameras.  The internet is your friend.

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
ProzacDeathWish wrote:iwbiek

ProzacDeathWish wrote:

iwbiek wrote:
.... it's no coincidence that muhammad was an orphan, in a time when nuclear families were on the rise and adoption on the decline, yet still a time when not being part of a family tribe meant having no protection: virtually a death sentence. the quran is chock full of statements charging the community to care for and protect orphans.

That was then, this is now. Boko harum,  ISIS, etc  seems to have tossed those kindly precepts to the wind.  Perhaps they took a look at how the Old Tesatament Hebrew warriors operated because large numbers of their victims are  non-comabatants comprised of young children of both sexes.  The evidence is readily provided by their own cell-phone cameras.  The internet is your friend.

i'm not defending the quran as a moral book, though perhaps in its original context it was (comparatively). i was just contributing some observations about the history of family development in light of a religion that is generally seen as being supremely patriarchal.

"I have never felt comfortable around people who talk about their feelings for Jesus, or any other deity for that matter, because they are usually none too bright. . . . Or maybe 'stupid' is a better way of saying it; but I have never seen much point in getting heavy with either stupid people or Jesus freaks, just as long as they don't bother me. In a world as weird and cruel as this one we have made for ourselves, I figure anybody who can find peace and personal happiness without ripping off somebody else deserves to be left alone. They will not inherit the earth, but then neither will I. . . . And I have learned to live, as it were, with the idea that I will never find peace and happiness, either. But as long as I know there's a pretty good chance I can get my hands on either one of them every once in a while, I do the best I can between high spots."
--Hunter S. Thompson

danatemporary
danatemporary's picture
User is offlineOffline
Rock-a-Bye Your Baby with a Dixie Melody

Re::  Hello All  . . Rock-a-Bye the Baby with a Dixie Melody . .

danatemporary wrote:

. . . a reply --

Stepparenting was necessary with proving a more difficult task with late teen Step children having already ensued,  from   my mom's  1st marriage

His stepdaughter became pregnant at a extremely early age.  My niece, who I am close to in age, remarked she never knew her grandfather, my mother's first husband . .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VtdC4If0tyM {http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VtdC4If0tyM}