WTF Discovery? You used to be one of the few stations worth watching.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
WTF Discovery? You used to be one of the few stations worth watching.

http://www.snopes.com/critters/malice/megalodon.asp

The quote at the end sums up my view perfectly.

Christie Wilcox wrote:

Here’s what I don’t get, Discovery: Megalodons were real, incredible, fascinating sharks. There’s a ton of actual science about them that is well worth a two hour special. We’ve discovered their nursery grounds off the coast of Panama, for example. Their bite is thought to be the strongest of all time—strong enough to smash an automobile—beating out even the most monstrous dinosaurs. The real science of these animals should have been more than enough to inspire Discovery Channel viewers. But it’s as if you don’t care anymore about presenting the truth or reality. You chose, instead, to mislead your viewers with 120 minutes of bullshit. And the sad part is, you are so well trusted by your audience that you actually convinced them: according to your poll, upwards of 70% of your viewing public fell for the ruse and now believes that Megalodon isn’t extinct.

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Yeah, remember the "good

Yeah, remember the "good old days" when educational channels were educational? Now they all make shit up. I even heard about Animal Planet doing a whole series pushing cryptozoology as if there were evidence. The last time I was in a hotel I thought I would check out the History channel only to discover them talking about Nostradamus- okay that is cool, important historical figure right? No, they were talking about how his prophecies were true and saying there was a ton of evidence supporting them. Fuck me, off with the tv, where is the laptop. 

If, if a white man puts his arm around me voluntarily, that's brotherhood. But if you - if you hold a gun on him and make him embrace me and pretend to be friendly or brotherly toward me, then that's not brotherhood, that's hypocrisy.- Malcolm X

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
That's really sad.

That's really sad.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
digitalbeachbum's picture
User is offlineOffline
I found out, along with

I found out, along with several other "channels" on cable, that they don't make their own shows any more. They purchase the productions from independent production companies if they think they can make a profit off it.

There was a production about (either or) the ten commandments or noah's ark, which turned me off with Discovery. I won't watch them any more. The idiot director wasn't even at the right mountain. Apparently it was too dangerous to be in the area because of rebels so he filmed another mountain range expecting no one would notice. However people who knew spoke out and upon investigating the rest of his claims, none of them were true. He had just thrown all these film clips together and sold the trash to some dimwitted exec at Discovery.

The last thing I remember hearing was the "Mermaid" bullshit which came out two years ago. They made it all real looking and they polled people who actually thought that mer-people were really living in the ocean. No accounting for the stupidity of the public.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
There's a guy I play MTG

There's a guy I play MTG Duels of the Planeswalkers with who bought into that shit and brought it up during a 4 player game. He still gets teased about it.
Weirdest part is he's not a dumb guy. I haven't played against many people who are as good as him, and you can't get good at MTG if you're an idiot.

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
some of my fondest memories

some of my fondest memories are of watching the history channel with my grandfather in the late '90s. hours and hours of glorious WWII documentaries consisting of nothing but battle footage and learned narration.

"I have never felt comfortable around people who talk about their feelings for Jesus, or any other deity for that matter, because they are usually none too bright. . . . Or maybe 'stupid' is a better way of saying it; but I have never seen much point in getting heavy with either stupid people or Jesus freaks, just as long as they don't bother me. In a world as weird and cruel as this one we have made for ourselves, I figure anybody who can find peace and personal happiness without ripping off somebody else deserves to be left alone. They will not inherit the earth, but then neither will I. . . . And I have learned to live, as it were, with the idea that I will never find peace and happiness, either. But as long as I know there's a pretty good chance I can get my hands on either one of them every once in a while, I do the best I can between high spots."
--Hunter S. Thompson

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote:MTG Duels of

Vastet wrote:
MTG Duels of the Planeswalkers... you can't get good at MTG if you're an idiot

Well.. #1 you are playing MTG... #2 You must be an idiot to play it. Sticking out tongue

Just kidding.

I used to collect MTG back from beta through to Ice Ages. I sold my cards off because I was tired of it and saw that they would never quit sending out expansions. I wish now that I kept the cards. Some of my cards from the old collection are selling for over $5000. I bought a $300 pack of Legends and now they unopened box is selling for around $7000. I had a Black Lotus, beta, which I sold off for a lot less than it was worth. Now it is selling for around $1500.

<facepalm>

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
User is offlineOffline
iwbiek wrote:some of my

iwbiek wrote:
some of my fondest memories are of watching the history channel with my grandfather in the late '90s. hours and hours of glorious WWII documentaries consisting of nothing but battle footage and learned narration.

Those days are gone.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
 This is mind rot media.

This is mind rot media. "Reality Tv" WWE. I can remember when A&E was actually arts and entertainment. But even Animal Planet has a show called "Finding Bigfoot".

The "History Channel" has had shows dipicting Christians saving Europe from the Dark Ages. I guess if you beat the shit out of everyone and hand them a sandwich that makes you a hero.

Media needs more Cosmos and less Jerry Springer.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:  This is

Brian37 wrote:

This is mind rot media. "Reality Tv" WWE. I can remember when A&E was actually arts and entertainment. But even Animal Planet has a show called "Finding Bigfoot".

The "History Channel" has had shows dipicting Christians saving Europe from the Dark Ages. I guess if you beat the shit out of everyone and hand them a sandwich that makes you a hero.

I agree. I really enjoy Cosmos but have you seen earlier shows with Neil Tyson deGrasse? He was like listening to paint dry. It was unbearable. I think he took speaking lessons.

Old Seer
Theist
User is offlineOffline
I sympathize with you all.

my observation is the same. If it sells---sell it. Money corrupteth all things. Why sell truth when false is worth more.

The only possible thing the world needs saving from are those running it.

https://sites.google.com/site/oldseers

Knowledge trumps faith and I'm not a Theist

Lies are nothing more then falsehoods searching for the truth

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
digitalbeachbum wrote:Vastet

digitalbeachbum wrote:

Vastet wrote:
MTG Duels of the Planeswalkers... you can't get good at MTG if you're an idiot

Well.. #1 you are playing MTG... #2 You must be an idiot to play it. Sticking out tongue

Just kidding.

I used to collect MTG back from beta through to Ice Ages. I sold my cards off because I was tired of it and saw that they would never quit sending out expansions. I wish now that I kept the cards. Some of my cards from the old collection are selling for over $5000. I bought a $300 pack of Legends and now they unopened box is selling for around $7000. I had a Black Lotus, beta, which I sold off for a lot less than it was worth. Now it is selling for around $1500.

<facepalm>

Duels of the Planeswalkers isn't full magic. Until 2015 the had preconstructed decks that you could edit to one degree or another. It's supposed to be entry level magic but WotC doesn't know how to do it right. Still, it's cheap and on consoles for easy get togethers.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote: This is mind

Brian37 wrote:

At least WWE does amazing real life stunts and doesn't pretend to be real life (Do not try this at home). This is just bullshit fiction masquerading as an educational show.