User is offlineOffline
Brilliant new test for narssiism

Just one simple question can identify narcissistic people

Date:
August 5, 2014

Source:
Ohio State University

Summary:
Scientists have developed and validated a new method to identify which people are narcissistic: just ask them. In a series of 11 experiments involving more than 2,200 people of all ages, the researchers found they could reliably identify narcissistic people by asking them one question.

Exerpt:
Scientists have developed and validated a new method to identify which people are narcissistic: just ask them.
In a series of 11 experiments involving more than 2,200 people of all ages, the researchers found they could reliably identify narcissistic people by asking them this exact question (including the note):
To what extent do you agree with this statement: "I am a narcissist." (Note: The word "narcissist" means egotistical, self-focused, and vain.)
Participants rated themselves on a scale of 1 (not very true of me) to 7 (very true of me).
Results showed that people's answer to this question lined up very closely with several other validated measures of narcissism, including the widely used Narcissistic Personality Inventory.
The difference is that this new survey -- which the researchers call the Single Item Narcissism Scale (SINS) -- has one question, while the NPI has 40 questions to answer.
"People who are willing to admit they are more narcissistic than others probably actually are more narcissistic," said Brad Bushman, co-author of the study and a professor of communication and psychology at The Ohio State University.
"People who are narcissists are almost proud of the fact. You can ask them directly because they don't see narcissism as a negative quality -- they believe they are superior to other people and are fine with saying that publicly."

Full Article/Source:
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2014/08/140805150645.htm

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
i don't know how i would

i don't know how i would answer. i do have heavy tendencies to be both egotistical and vain, but i don't see those as positive traits. i always make an effort to bring myself down a peg in my own mind, and sometimes even vocally to other people. i'm a big fan of self-deprecating humor, and i frequently use it. at the same time, i wouldn't say i'm not narcissistic, because that would just be dishonest.

"I have never felt comfortable around people who talk about their feelings for Jesus, or any other deity for that matter, because they are usually none too bright. . . . Or maybe 'stupid' is a better way of saying it; but I have never seen much point in getting heavy with either stupid people or Jesus freaks, just as long as they don't bother me. In a world as weird and cruel as this one we have made for ourselves, I figure anybody who can find peace and personal happiness without ripping off somebody else deserves to be left alone. They will not inherit the earth, but then neither will I. . . . And I have learned to live, as it were, with the idea that I will never find peace and happiness, either. But as long as I know there's a pretty good chance I can get my hands on either one of them every once in a while, I do the best I can between high spots."
--Hunter S. Thompson

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
I'd put myself around 3 or

I'd put myself around 3 or 4. I have a big ego, but it isn't unchecked. I'm not really vain. I don't even look in the mirror to brush my hair in the morning. I'm the opposite of exhibitionist, and don't much like authority (even if I'm the authority). But I can be subject to superiority, I have to remind myself I'm not every now and then, and I'm pretty self sufficient. Entitlement can go either way. I'm also very empathetic, which is decidedly not a narssistic trait.

So I feel I'm somewhere in the middle. Though I'm sure there are people who would say otherwise. Fortunately I can point them to this study, which says I'm probably accurate in my assessment.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

harleysportster
atheist
harleysportster's picture
User is offlineOffline
iwbiek wrote:i don't know

iwbiek wrote:
i don't know how i would answer. i do have heavy tendencies to be both egotistical and vain, but i don't see those as positive traits. i always make an effort to bring myself down a peg in my own mind, and sometimes even vocally to other people. i'm a big fan of self-deprecating humor, and i frequently use it. at the same time, i wouldn't say i'm not narcissistic, because that would just be dishonest.

^ Pretty much what you said. 

“It is proof of a base and low mind for one to wish to think with the masses or majority, merely because the majority is the majority. Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people.”
― Giordano Bruno

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
digitalbeachbum's picture
User is offlineOffline
I started to kill my ego

I started to kill my ego twenty years ago. It's almost completely dead but I still have outbursts of anger as it reaches out to try and do harm to others.

I can't recall ever being vain. I was told I was good looking when I was younger, totally buff and had a six pack of abs; women used to chase me then. I was always too ignorant until one by one they started to jump me when I was alone.

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
i didn't mean vain in any

i didn't mean vain in any traditional way. i don't preen myself. but i do take great care in the look i cultivate, which is sort of bohemian, but with a rather unorthodox fashion sense. even my beard and wild hair are scraggly precisely the way i want them to be. unless i'm working around the house or going to the corner market, nothing i wear is accidental, and my wife will tell you i'm very picky about what i wear. i'm just not trendy, nor do i try to be.

"I have never felt comfortable around people who talk about their feelings for Jesus, or any other deity for that matter, because they are usually none too bright. . . . Or maybe 'stupid' is a better way of saying it; but I have never seen much point in getting heavy with either stupid people or Jesus freaks, just as long as they don't bother me. In a world as weird and cruel as this one we have made for ourselves, I figure anybody who can find peace and personal happiness without ripping off somebody else deserves to be left alone. They will not inherit the earth, but then neither will I. . . . And I have learned to live, as it were, with the idea that I will never find peace and happiness, either. But as long as I know there's a pretty good chance I can get my hands on either one of them every once in a while, I do the best I can between high spots."
--Hunter S. Thompson

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
I just wear black all the

I just wear black all the time and tie my hair back. Shave when my stache/beard start to annoy me, and no more than that. Can't say I pay 0 attention to my appearance, but it's certainly not a priority.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.