Republican Revolt/Border Bill

harleysportster
atheist
harleysportster's picture
User is offlineOffline
Republican Revolt/Border Bill

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-28606990

Conservative Republican revolt kills border bill

Conservative backbenchers in the Republican-controlled US House of Representatives have quashed a border bill backed by the House leadership.

Also on Thursday, the Democrat-led Senate failed to pass its own bill.

The lack of action means Congress will begin its summer recess without addressing what many describe as a national crisis.

The bills were aimed at handling 57,000 Central American children who have flooded over the border since October.

The chiln the House of Representatives, where Speaker John Boehner and his lieutenants have for years struggled to contain a restive caucus of conservative backbenchers, the bill would have provided $659m (£391m) for additional border security, costs associated with the housing, detention, processing and repatriation of the children, hiring of temporary immigration judges to speed judicial processing and more.

It would also have speeded up the deportation and repatriation of the children by stripping them of anti-human trafficking protections written into a 2008 law mostly from Guatemala, El Salvador and Honduras, are fleeing gang violence and extreme poverty in their home countries

(Rest of article and media reaction can be found at the link above. Thoughts on this one ?)

“It is proof of a base and low mind for one to wish to think with the masses or majority, merely because the majority is the majority. Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people.”
― Giordano Bruno

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
If only Americans remembered

"Not like the brazen giant of Greek fame,
With conquering limbs astride from land to land;
Here at our sea-washed, sunset gates shall stand
A mighty woman with a torch, whose flame
Is the imprisoned lightning, and her name
Mother of Exiles. From her beacon-hand
Glows world-wide welcome; her mild eyes command
The air-bridged harbor that twin cities frame.

"Keep, ancient lands, your storied pomp!" cries she
With silent lips. "Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me,
I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

If, if a white man puts his arm around me voluntarily, that's brotherhood. But if you - if you hold a gun on him and make him embrace me and pretend to be friendly or brotherly toward me, then that's not brotherhood, that's hypocrisy.- Malcolm X

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
digitalbeachbum's picture
User is offlineOffline
I should be appointed to run

I should be appointed to run the world since I'm the only person who has any common sense.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Get in line.

Get in line. Sticking out tongue

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
digitalbeachbum's picture
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote:Get in line.

Vastet wrote:
Get in line. :P

lol

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Beyond Saving wrote:"Not

Beyond Saving wrote:

Glad you quoted the Statue of Liberty. But it mentions poor people and since you blame them for everything I think that makes you a hypocrite. Economic freedom does not include a competition to fuck workers and lower wages just so the rich can make money. That statue represents the idea of all classes being welcome, not one class dictating wages.

The quote on the statue is one of inclusion, which means the right of labor to collectively bargin equaly with wealth, not the right for either to dictate to the other.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:Beyond Saving

Brian37 wrote:

Beyond Saving wrote:

Glad you quoted the Statue of Liberty. But it mentions poor people and since you blame them for everything I think that makes you a hypocrite. Economic freedom does not include a competition to fuck workers and lower wages just so the rich can make money. That statue represents the idea of all classes being welcome, not one class dictating wages.

The quote on the statue is one of inclusion, which means the right of labor to collectively bargin equaly with wealth, not the right for either to dictate to the other.

The quote is from Emma Lazarus, the point being that in America you can come here poor (as her family did) and make something of yourself. I have no problem with the poor, I was poor once, poorer than you have ever been because I didn't run back to mommy. The problem I have is lazy ass bums who stay poor and then decide it is their "right" to steal from others. If someone is poor and doesn't steal, then I have no issue. My issue is with those who think it is okay to use force to take what they think they deserve, not with poverty. You are no different than a mugger, except you don't have the balls to use the gun yourself. 

If, if a white man puts his arm around me voluntarily, that's brotherhood. But if you - if you hold a gun on him and make him embrace me and pretend to be friendly or brotherly toward me, then that's not brotherhood, that's hypocrisy.- Malcolm X

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Lol. Every time Brian posts

Lol. Every time Brian posts he makes shit up.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.