harleysportster
atheist
harleysportster's picture
User is offlineOffline
Gaza Shelter Attack

Thoughts ? 

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-28594155

Brief Excerpt :

The US has said the shelling of a UN shelter in Gaza is "totally unacceptable and totally indefensible". In its strongest criticism yet of Israel's offensive in the Palestinian territory, the US - Israel's closest ally - urged Israel to do more to protect civilian life. A quarter of Gaza's population has been displaced by the fighting, the UN says. Israel says its operation in Gaza is designed to defend its population from attacks by Palestinian militants. It blames the Hamas militant group for most of the civilian deaths in Gaza, saying its fighters deliberately operate from civilian areas.

“It is proof of a base and low mind for one to wish to think with the masses or majority, merely because the majority is the majority. Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people.”
― Giordano Bruno

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote: I believe it

Brian37 wrote:

I believe it when either side says "We once lived side by side in peace". I believe religious leaders in the west who find overlap when they say "we all have the same god. " I have seen Jews and Muslims setting side by side in the news who find that agreement.

Here is the problem with that, while it is true there have been periods in both religions history in that region where they did live in peace, it is the same tokenism and setting up social pecking orders that non-Christians of all religions and atheists as well hear when a  Christian argues "Christian nation". Power has shifted over the thousands of years from different hands. The truth is each side is fine living with the other as long as the minority not in power knows their statuse is house guest. That is not equality, that is tokenism.

It is impossible not to have conflict when you put issues of religon or race into a state's constitution. The only thing that can protect pluralism is a government that does not play favorites. That is not to say banning religion, but bans on social pecking orders and bans on favortism. This type of conflict was what Jefferson had in mind with his "wall".

No they didn't. The Jewish population that exists now is solely the creation of Europe being anti-semetic at not wanting Jews in their country. Obviously, that created conflict when millions of Jews came into a place and decided to start setting up settlements, pushing out the local population. The Jews there today, have NEVER lived at peace with the Arabs (not all Arabs are Muslim you racist fuck-this isn't a religious conflict). It is a territorial conflict that started with their fathers/grandfathers moving into territory and setting up a government where they weren't welcome. It is much more relatable to the US wars with the Indians than anything, and we won those by committing near genocide. 

If, if a white man puts his arm around me voluntarily, that's brotherhood. But if you - if you hold a gun on him and make him embrace me and pretend to be friendly or brotherly toward me, then that's not brotherhood, that's hypocrisy.- Malcolm X

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
Beyond Saving wrote:No they

Beyond Saving wrote:
No they didn't. The Jewish population that exists now is solely the creation of Europe being anti-semetic at not wanting Jews in their country. Obviously, that created conflict when millions of Jews came into a place and decided to start setting up settlements, pushing out the local population. The Jews there today, have NEVER lived at peace with the Arabs (not all Arabs are Muslim you racist fuck-this isn't a religious conflict). It is a territorial conflict that started with their fathers/grandfathers moving into territory and setting up a government where they weren't welcome. It is much more relatable to the US wars with the Indians than anything, and we won those by committing near genocide. 

qft

"I have never felt comfortable around people who talk about their feelings for Jesus, or any other deity for that matter, because they are usually none too bright. . . . Or maybe 'stupid' is a better way of saying it; but I have never seen much point in getting heavy with either stupid people or Jesus freaks, just as long as they don't bother me. In a world as weird and cruel as this one we have made for ourselves, I figure anybody who can find peace and personal happiness without ripping off somebody else deserves to be left alone. They will not inherit the earth, but then neither will I. . . . And I have learned to live, as it were, with the idea that I will never find peace and happiness, either. But as long as I know there's a pretty good chance I can get my hands on either one of them every once in a while, I do the best I can between high spots."
--Hunter S. Thompson

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
digitalbeachbum's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote: I believe it

Brian37 wrote:

I believe it when either side says "We once lived side by side in peace". I believe religious leaders in the west who find overlap when they say "we all have the same god. " I have seen Jews and Muslims setting side by side in the news who find that agreement.

Here is the problem with that, while it is true there have been periods in both religions history in that region where they did live in peace, it is the same tokenism and setting up social pecking orders that non-Christians of all religions and atheists as well hear when a  Christian argues "Christian nation". Power has shifted over the thousands of years from different hands. The truth is each side is fine living with the other as long as the minority not in power knows their statuse is house guest. That is not equality, that is tokenism.

It is impossible not to have conflict when you put issues of religon or race into a state's constitution. The only thing that can protect pluralism is a government that does not play favorites. That is not to say banning religion, but bans on social pecking orders and bans on favortism. This type of conflict was what Jefferson had in mind with his "wall".

The entire problem with the human race is their fucking ego. It is the sole reason why any thing is fucked up in this world. With out an ego we would have already worked together to colonize all the moons and planets in this solar system and we would be already working on sending ships out to other solar systems.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
digitalbeachbum wrote:iwbiek

digitalbeachbum wrote:

iwbiek wrote:
many dictators have been fairly elected. hitler's rise to power, for example, was entirely legal and constitutional.

Hitler was a douche and gave real dictators, such as myself, a bad reputation. I shudder every time true dictators are grouped in association with wanna-be's like him, Stalin and Jong.

Hitler was an awesome dictator, he was just also a bloodthirsty psycho. Then again, I'm not sure you can BE a dictator without being a bloodthirsty psycho, to be honest. I'd be willing to try, but I have little doubt a lot of people would end up dead in the end. A few assassination attempts and a segment of the population refusing to go along with your carefully constructed solutions may just be all it takes to drive someone nutty.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
ProzacDeathWish's picture
User is offlineOffline
digitalbeachbum wrote:The

digitalbeachbum wrote:

The entire problem with the human race is their fucking ego. It is the sole reason why any thing is fucked up in this world. With out an ego we would have already worked together to colonize all the moons and planets in this solar system and we would be already working on sending ships out to other solar systems.

Over-simplify much ?     

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote:digitalbeachbum

Vastet wrote:
digitalbeachbum wrote:

iwbiek wrote:
many dictators have been fairly elected. hitler's rise to power, for example, was entirely legal and constitutional.

Hitler was a douche and gave real dictators, such as myself, a bad reputation. I shudder every time true dictators are grouped in association with wanna-be's like him, Stalin and Jong.

Hitler was an awesome dictator, he was just also a bloodthirsty psycho. Then again, I'm not sure you can BE a dictator without being a bloodthirsty psycho, to be honest. I'd be willing to try, but I have little doubt a lot of people would end up dead in the end. A few assassination attempts and a segment of the population refusing to go along with your carefully constructed solutions may just be all it takes to drive someone nutty.

I would agree but I'd just pack them all up, put them on a rocket with supplies, then ship them to an off world colony in the Beta 6 quadrant.

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
iwbiek wrote:many dictators

iwbiek wrote:

Yeah, all those Jews just need to shut up and stop crying just because they lost the election. EVOLUTION created us with the ability to be BOTH cruel and compassionate. So IF IF IF IF the government decides to slaughter people, it is consistent with EVOLUTION. Those jews are happy when they win, but it isn't one size fits all. The problem with the jews is that they all follow a script and want to force everyone to follow a script. They LOST the election, so they need to just shut up and stop being cry babies. The last thing we need is more poison.

If, if a white man puts his arm around me voluntarily, that's brotherhood. But if you - if you hold a gun on him and make him embrace me and pretend to be friendly or brotherly toward me, then that's not brotherhood, that's hypocrisy.- Malcolm X

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
User is offlineOffline
Beyond Saving wrote:iwbiek

Beyond Saving wrote:

iwbiek wrote:

Yeah, all those Jews just need to shut up and stop crying just because they lost the election. EVOLUTION created us with the ability to be BOTH cruel and compassionate. So IF IF IF IF the government decides to slaughter people, it is consistent with EVOLUTION. Those jews are happy when they win, but it isn't one size fits all. The problem with the jews is that they all follow a script and want to force everyone to follow a script. They LOST the election, so they need to just shut up and stop being cry babies. The last thing we need is more poison.

LMAO

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
digitalbeachbum wrote:Beyond

digitalbeachbum wrote:

Beyond Saving wrote:

iwbiek wrote:

LMAO

Isralis are NOT Nazis, not in the least. I blast anyone who claims that.

However, what drove Jews to move there in the first place? "Identity" in wanting a homeland. Why is it I hear supporters of Isreal use the word "Arab" so much? Because some see the land based on race identity and want their own land based on bloodline too. It isn't a matter of seeing Jews as evil, but a matter of f.lawed logic.

But then you get this from Isrelis 

http://www.jewishpress.com/news/breaking-news/netanyahu-basis-for-israeli-law-should-be-talmud/2014/05/08/

Exactly how does incorporating the Talmud equate to pluralism other than treationg non Jews as houe guests? How is that any less a social pecking order when Christians in America claim our laws come from the Christian god?

The same flawed logic, was used by Hitler to give Germans a sense of identity. Him personally believing it our not did not change that he successfully sold "identity" as being either or and both, whatever worked as beeing blood based or god based, even if mere propaganda. It isn't fa matter of equating Jews as being modern Nazis, but if they claim land based on blood, race or religion, it still amounts to trying to set up a social pecking order and is still flawed logic.

One has to ask why did the want to move there in the first place? They wanted an "identity".

INow if one wants to argue that this has nothing to do with race and or religious nationalism, fine. But America sells weapons to BOTH Israel and the Arab world/Muslim world. We sell weapons to Egypt, Saudi Arabia which funds Isis, and hates Hamass, UAE, and Qatar. 

Now is this about strategy? A fight over resources? Or is it about "identity" of either side? Or maybe it is wealth pitting humans against each other with labels?

Beyond, you think I don't get it. YES anyone would fear a rocket comming them, even if it doesn't hit them. And yes, far too much of the Middle East is behind the west in the idea of secular pluralism. But I will not give Jews a pass. I think you can have a nation, WITHOUT basing it on blood or religion, just like our founders did not base our nation on God or the bible.

If it is a battle over strategy for both sides, then it does not help allowing citizens on either side to be pitted against each other over what the wealthy do. 

You have chosen a side. I will not because I know my own history of treatment of blacks and Native Americans and gays and Japanese. I do not expect to change the past, which is why I do not expect Jews to leave. I only want BOTH sides to stop seeing the other as a separate species. 

S

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline

Beyond Saving wrote:

iwbiek wrote:

lol funnily enough, the nazi party was actually quite popular with certain segments of german jewry, because it was the party of german nationalism, and most german jews considered themselves germans first. it was only later that the nazis kindly informed them they weren't germans at all.

"I have never felt comfortable around people who talk about their feelings for Jesus, or any other deity for that matter, because they are usually none too bright. . . . Or maybe 'stupid' is a better way of saying it; but I have never seen much point in getting heavy with either stupid people or Jesus freaks, just as long as they don't bother me. In a world as weird and cruel as this one we have made for ourselves, I figure anybody who can find peace and personal happiness without ripping off somebody else deserves to be left alone. They will not inherit the earth, but then neither will I. . . . And I have learned to live, as it were, with the idea that I will never find peace and happiness, either. But as long as I know there's a pretty good chance I can get my hands on either one of them every once in a while, I do the best I can between high spots."
--Hunter S. Thompson

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
iwbiek wrote:Beyond Saving

iwbiek wrote:
Beyond Saving wrote:

iwbiek wrote:

lol funnily enough, the nazi party was actually quite popular with certain segments of german jewry, because it was the party of german nationalism, and most german jews considered themselves germans first. it was only later that the nazis kindly informed them they weren't germans at all.

I think today's Isreali Jews have forgotten what was done to them. You cannot set up a nation and put langauge in it that plays favorites to your race or religion or both, and say "yea you can live with me but I am more special than you". You can without realizing it, when others object to the social pecking order, your natural raction is going to be to fight that reaction to your setting up that social pecing order.

Pluralism can only be protected by protecting pluralism, it cannot be prodected by playing favorites.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline

Beyond Saving wrote:

iwbiek wrote:

Rofl. Well done sir.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote:Beyond Saving

Vastet wrote:
Beyond Saving wrote:

iwbiek wrote:

Rofl. Well done sir.

He still has not answered why Jews wanted to move there in the first place. Land? Obvious, but why? Race? That is still setting up a social pecking order? Basing national law on the Talmud? Still a theocracy. "Because they are savages" Europeans took land from natives too, called them savages too.

Now again, I am not calling Isreal a bunch of Nazis for merely questioning the reasoning for the move in the first place. This goes way back prior to the current conflict.

How would any of you react if I knocked down your door and said get out?

I do not question the fact that Isreal is made up of human beings who feel emotion and can feel pain. I do question their reasoning however.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:He still has

Brian37 wrote:
He still has not answered why Jews wanted to move there in the first place. Land? Obvious, but why? Race?

So you never bothered actually READING what he said. I just skimmed over it and I still saw he answered you. I'm not going to tell you because if you didn't read it the first time you're probably not going to read it now either.

Brian37 wrote:
That is still setting up a social pecking order?

As both Beyond and I pointed out, religion doesn't have any impact on your social pecking order bullshit when you take into account the needs of society and the function of government.

Brian37 wrote:
Basing national law on the Talmud? Still a theocracy.

So what? Every nation has the right to use what the people of the nation agree to use. I guess you're against democracy. So are you a fascist or a statist?

Brian37 wrote:
"Because they are savages" Europeans took land from natives too, called them savages too.

Oh the irony. Most of us will be laughing at this. You just won't get it.

Brian37 wrote:
Now again, I am not calling Isreal a bunch of Nazis for merely questioning the reasoning for the move in the first place. This goes way back prior to the current conflict.

What? lol

Brian37 wrote:
How would any of you react if I knocked down your door and said get out?

I'd kick your ass. Prozac would shoot you. Beyond might too. None of which is relevant. The fact that you can say this and yet simultaneously say that it's all the fault of religion is a demonstration of your cognitive dissonence.

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:He still has

Brian37 wrote:
He still has not answered why Jews wanted to move there in the first place.

there were already extensive jewish settlements in palestine going back to the 19th century, and britain was willing to give it to them, so why wouldn't they take them up on it? the founder of modern zionism and the architect of the jewish homeland in palestine was theodor herzl. his vision was of a secular, socialist state with no recognized religion, where the jews would have no more rights than anyone else.

it was only after the fact that israel came under the influence of religious fanatics, namely the ultra-orthodox ashkenazi, who are a small but vociferous minority, and who rabidly opposed the creation of the state of israel, ironically enough. they run the old part of jerusalem like their own kingdom. they even bully the sephardic and mizrahi jews, who have always lived in palestine since the middle ages, into conforming more to ashkenazic customs, not to mention their intimidation of the samaritans. they were never zionists--far from it. the zionists were the secular, liberal, assimilated jewish intelligentsia, not religious fanatics. not religious at all, really.

and the talmud is not a basis for a state's laws. the talmud is a collection of rabbinical legal decisions with accompanying commentary. its purpose is to make sure the jewish people follow the torah while in the diaspora. the only person who will be able to say definitively how a jewish state should be run is the messiah.

--Hunter S. Thompson

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
iwbiek wrote:Brian37

iwbiek wrote:
Brian37 wrote:
He still has not answered why Jews wanted to move there in the first place.

there were already extensive jewish settlements in palestine going back to the 19th century, and britain was willing to give it to them, so why wouldn't they take them up on it? the founder of modern zionism and the architect of the jewish homeland in palestine was theodor herzl. his vision was of a secular, socialist state with no recognized religion, where the jews would have no more rights than anyone else.
it was only after the fact that israel came under the influence of religious fanatics, namely the ultra-orthodox ashkenazi, who are a small but vociferous minority, and who rabidly opposed the creation of the state of israel, ironically enough. they run the old part of jerusalem like their own kingdom. they even bully the sephardic and mizrahi jews, who have always lived in palestine since the middle ages, into conforming more to ashkenazic customs, not to mention their intimidation of the samaritans. they were never zionists--far from it. the zionists were the secular, liberal, assimilated jewish intelligentsia, not religious fanatics. not religious at all, really.
and the talmud is not a basis for a state's laws. the talmud is a collection of rabbinical legal decisions with accompanying commentary. its purpose is to make sure the jewish people follow the torah while in the diaspora. the only person who will be able to say definitively how a jewish state should be run is the messiah.

I'll let you not read this post Brian, it answers your question and suffice it to say I agree with it all and am confident that you will ignore all of it. 

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:Isralis are

Brian37 wrote:

Isralis are NOT Nazis, not in the least. I blast anyone who claims that.

I wasn't calling the Isralies Nazis I was associating YOU with Nazis. Using your rhetoric to defend the Nazis as a way of demonstrating how absurd and intellectually vacant your rhetoric is. (Although primarily it was for comic relief to be enjoyed by everyone else, because I figured you would miss the point-did you even notice I was parodying you?)

Brian37 wrote:

However, what drove Jews to move there in the first place? "Identity" in wanting a homeland.

See iwbiek's post.

Brian37 wrote:

Why is it I hear supporters of Isreal use the word "Arab" so much? Because some see the land based on race identity and want their own land based on bloodline too. It isn't a matter of seeing Jews as evil, but a matter of f.lawed logic.

Because they are at war with people who self-identify as "arab". I think it is actually kind of nice that they call them what they want to be called, although hang out with some IDF guys and they call them far more derogatory terms- although less than American soldiers tend to call our opponents derogatory names.  

Brian37 wrote:

But then you get this from Isrelis 

http://www.jewishpress.com/news/breaking-news/netanyahu-basis-for-israeli-law-should-be-talmud/2014/05/08/

Exactly how does incorporating the Talmud equate to pluralism other than treationg non Jews as houe guests? How is that any less a social pecking order when Christians in America claim our laws come from the Christian god?

Are you aware of how our system of common law was developed? It is decidedly Christian and originated from tribunals led by bishops. Israel certainly allows for more religious pluralism than the US. In Israel, they have Jewish Courts, Christian Courts and Islamic Courts which handle religious issues such as marriages, divorce etc. In the US, all marriages are assumed Christian (hence the whole gay marriage debate). 

Brian37 wrote:

The same flawed logic, was used by Hitler to give Germans a sense of identity. Him personally believing it our not did not change that he successfully sold "identity" as being either or and both, whatever worked as beeing blood based or god based, even if mere propaganda. It isn't fa matter of equating Jews as being modern Nazis, but if they claim land based on blood, race or religion, it still amounts to trying to set up a social pecking order and is still flawed logic.

They claim land on the basis that they are there and for the moment capable of occupying it, just like every other force that has held Israel over the last several thousand years. Just like you now claim America as your country.

Brian37 wrote:

One has to ask why did the want to move there in the first place? They wanted an "identity".

Most of the settlers moved there because it was an obvious choice to choose to avoid being slaughtered. The other favorite destination was the US, but that was really expensive and only rich jews could afford to come here. There were a portion who no doubt had religious fervor, but the majority of Jewish immigrants in the early to mid 1900's didn't really make a conscious decision. They needed a place to go where they wouldn't be killed, and most countries didn't want them. It was go or die for most of them. The same reason that the immigrants are coming across our southern border now and the reason why refugees always go to any location. They go where they think they will be safe. 

Quote:

INow if one wants to argue that this has nothing to do with race and or religious nationalism, fine. But America sells weapons to BOTH Israel and the Arab world/Muslim world. We sell weapons to Egypt, Saudi Arabia which funds Isis, and hates Hamass, UAE, and Qatar.

Yes, we trade weapons with anyone who is considered our allies. What is your point?

Quote:

Now is this about strategy? A fight over resources? Or is it about "identity" of either side? Or maybe it is wealth pitting humans against each other with labels?

It is a war over land and where people can or can't settle. 

Quote:

I only want BOTH sides to stop seeing the other as a separate species. 

What you want doesn't matter. Neither side gives a shit about you. They will kill each other until they settle their differences and one side wins. You can either pick a side and support it, or you can sit on your hands while bitching about how you wish the world was different.  

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
 I have no horse in this

I have no horse in this race but the perspective from the other looks like this, and NO this is not all Hamas, this is a perspective of the average civilian population.

https://www.facebook.com/OccupyWallSt/photos/a.187967227937716.47329.184749301592842/728828340518266/?type=1

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote: I have no

Brian37 wrote:

I have no horse in this race but the perspective from the other looks like this, and NO this is not all Hamas, this is a perspective of the average civilian population.

https://www.facebook.com/OccupyWallSt/photos/a.187967227937716.47329.184749301592842/728828340518266/?type=1

Yeah.... and your point is? What does this have to do with anything I have said? 

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
Beyond Saving wrote:Yeah....

Beyond Saving wrote:

Yeah.... and your point is? What does this have to do with anything I have said? 

nothing of course, because he has no response to what you said. lord knows how much of it he even understood.

--Hunter S. Thompson

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
User is offlineOffline
iwbiek wrote:lord knows how

iwbiek wrote:

lord knows how much of it he even understood.

?

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
 BULLSHIT, the reason Jews

BULLSHIT, the reason Jews went there in the first place has everything to do with why they expand and why they hold their identity.

I do not expect them to go away, but don't hand me any crap about race, blood and or religion, not shaping their identity.

Does anyone  think about why it took so long for a Catholic to become president, or even Jews or Muslims to surve in our congress despite "no religious test"?

Because our tribal evolutionary group think sets us up AT BEST to treat others as house guests, but most of the time when a minority seeks to compete within a larger group the majority group feels threatened. 

Isreal IS basing their identity on race and or religion, that sets up a social pecking order. It is tokenism not equality.

Either Isreael wants to be secular or it does not, watered down social pecking orders are still social pecking orders.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
 http://www.israelnationalne

http://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/180440

First off, explain to me why an anciet book should determine modern law? Do we base our laws on the Egyptian book of the dead? How about the Reg Vedas? How about the Koran? Or bible?

Seconly how does "Talmud" reflect anyting more than the Hebrews? If you base your laws on it while you may claim to value the other as equal, how is that not favoritism? 

Quote:
The new law also would establish the Talmud, the core work of Jewish law, as an official basis for Israeli state law.

This is still problematic even with Jews just like you have liberal Christians and conservitive Christians. 

Secular does not mean godless or that the religious cannot partake in government. Secular means not plaing favorites or seting up social pecking orders. 

"Sect" means a specific group. "Jew" if it is a bloodline if one wants to claim that by proxy of the link puts that "race" at the top of the social pecking order. "Jew" if one wants to base that on religion still is favoring that sect(particular group).

The Talmud is their book, not mine, anymore than the bible or koran are, so why would I want to live under a government that says equality is based on a book, and an an ancient book at that, that I have no interest in following. If you cannot legistlate morality out of  one book and we are pluralistic, which the west is, then the only thing that government should be doing is agreeing to protect pluralism.

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote: BULLSHIT,

Brian37 wrote:

BULLSHIT, the reason Jews went there in the first place has everything to do with why they expand and why they hold their identity.

I do not expect them to go away, but don't hand me any crap about race, blood and or religion, not shaping their identity.

Does anyone  think about why it took so long for a Catholic to become president, or even Jews or Muslims to surve in our congress despite "no religious test"?

Because our tribal evolutionary group think sets us up AT BEST to treat others as house guests, but most of the time when a minority seeks to compete within a larger group the majority group feels threatened. 

Isreal IS basing their identity on race and or religion, that sets up a social pecking order. It is tokenism not equality.

Either Isreael wants to be secular or it does not, watered down social pecking orders are still social pecking orders.

Whether Israel wants to be secular or not is irrelevant. I'm not endorsing Israel as the best government ever, they are WAY too statist for me, but I don't live there so I don't care. Whether they want to be secular or not is based on how people in Israel vote in the polls, which is more than the people of Palestine have the opportunity to do. We are talking quite specifically about a conflict between two (well actually three) governments. Perfect hardly enters into it. One side wants all Americans dead, the other side doesn't. As an American, that makes it pretty damn easy to choose sides. The world doesn't fit into the clean black and white script you try to put it in. 

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brian37

Brian37 wrote:

First off, explain to me why an anciet book should determine modern law? Do we base our laws on the Egyptian book of the dead? How about the Reg Vedas? How about the Koran? Or bible?

Seconly how does "Talmud" reflect anyting more than the Hebrews? If you base your laws on it while you may claim to value the other as equal, how is that not favoritism? 

Quote:
The new law also would establish the Talmud, the core work of Jewish law, as an official basis for Israeli state law.

This is still problematic even with Jews just like you have liberal Christians and conservitive Christians. 

Secular does not mean godless or that the religious cannot partake in government. Secular means not plaing favorites or seting up social pecking orders. 

"Sect" means a specific group. "Jew" if it is a bloodline if one wants to claim that by proxy of the link puts that "race" at the top of the social pecking order. "Jew" if one wants to base that on religion still is favoring that sect(particular group).

The Talmud is their book, not mine, anymore than the bible or koran are, so why would I want to live under a government that says equality is based on a book, and an an ancient book at that, that I have no interest in following. If you cannot legistlate morality out of  one book and we are pluralistic, which the west is, then the only thing that government should be doing is agreeing to protect pluralism.

You obviously have no clue what you are talking about. But again, what does Israel's choice of legal system have to do with the topic? I don't care what legal system they choose, although I will point out that whatever they do will be a hell of a lot better than the legal system Hamas has set up in Gaza. By EVERY measure, Palestinians living in Israel are far better off than Palestinians living in Gaza. And they are a hell of a lot better than any Jews in Gaza where the penalty for selling land to a Jew is death for both the buyer and seller. (A large portion of the civilians killed in Gaza are killed by their own government, not the IDF.)

But again, that isn't my point because I don't support overthrowing every despotic government. It would be nice if they didn't exist, but I'm not willing to go die to destroy one. Israel is not only willing but eager to destroy one, so I say let'em. It will make the world a better place for Jews and Arabs. And my original point, civilians die in war. War is hell and it really sucks and should only be used as a last resort, because in war, all sorts of really good people die on both sides. It is pretty clear that Israel has no other resorts. As long as Hamas is in power, there will be no peace. The average Palestinian is unarmed and is unable or unwilling to overthrow their despotic government. Most of the rest of the world are anti-semetic. 

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Beyond Saving wrote:Brian37

Beyond Saving wrote:

Brian37 wrote:

Quote:

You obviously have no clue what you are talking about. But again, what does Israel's choice of legal system have to do with the topic? I don't care what legal system they choose, although I will point out that whatever they do will be a hell of a lot better than the legal system Hamas has set up in Gaza. By EVERY measure, Palestinians living in Israel are far better off than Palestinians living in Gaza. And they are a hell of a lot better than any Jews in Gaza where the penalty for selling land to a Jew is death for both the buyer and seller. (A large portion of the civilians killed in Gaza are killed by their own government, not the IDF.)

But again, that isn't my point because I don't support overthrowing every despotic government. It would be nice if they didn't exist, but I'm not willing to go die to destroy one. Israel is not only willing but eager to destroy one, so I say let'em. It will make the world a better place for Jews and Arabs. And my original point, civilians die in war. War is hell and it really sucks and should only be used as a last resort, because in war, all sorts of really good people die on both sides. It is pretty clear that Israel has no other resorts. As long as Hamas is in power, there will be no peace. The average Palestinian is unarmed and is unable or unwilling to overthrow their despotic government. Most of the rest of the world are anti-semetic. 

Despotic government? I know Americas long history of it's own oppression of blacks, Native Americans, women and gays, so I do not need you lecturing me about defeating oppressive governments.

It is absurd to base government law on an ancient book OF ANY LABEL. Staking a claim on tradition is not an excuse even if you want to claim pluralism. Jefferson's Virginia Religious freedom act was a result of seeing sectarian infighting between Christians, and it became the prototype for Madison's First Amendment. It was because CHRISTIANS, and unfortunately even to sthis day, argue over religion's role in government.

And claiming "Hamas" is also bullshit because Isreal was carpet bombing Palestine and Gaza when I was a kid and even before I was born. You leave any group to rot, put them in a prison, that group will turn to whatever help they can get, right or wrong. That still has nothing to do with Isreal wanting to base it's laws on a traditionally religious book, and an anceint one at that.

The tribalism that causes Isreal to want to rip its laws out of the Talmud is the same tribalism that causes Christians to say our laws are bible based. Both being westernized still does not change the social pecking orders Christians and Jews respectively are setting up. Watered down theism is still theism.

Barbary Treaty article 11 "As the government of the United States of America is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion". That is not in conflict with "Congress shall make no law respecting the establishment of a religion or the free exorsize thereof". When you combine those in context together it says you are not entitled to a monopoly nor can you set up social pecking orders.

I would simply warn, no matter how "liberal" Israel claims to be, or how westernized it claims to be, the mistakes America made with minorities here in it's history will be the same mistakes they make if they do not learn from history. It is not a smart Idea to base government law on a religious book. The only thing government should do is promis to protect pluralism, not play favorites.

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:BULLSHIT, the

Brian37 wrote:

then cite me a source, you ignorant little fucking shite. if what i say, the fruit of over a decade of intensive study, is BULLSHIT, then take me to task with something other than the yappy, uneducated excrement that oozes out of your mouth. what do you know about the history of zionism? i'll wager zilch. what do you know about the founding of the state of israel? i'll wager zilch. what do you know about judaism in general? i know fucking zilch.

so don't you fucking come here and call what i say bullshit when you're full of nothing but ignorance on the topic, you dim little cunt.

--Hunter S. Thompson

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline

iwbiek wrote:
Brian37 wrote:

then cite me a source, you ignorant little fucking shite. if what i say, the fruit of over a decade of intensive study, is BULLSHIT, then take me to task with something other than the yappy, uneducated excrement that oozes out of your mouth. what do you know about the history of zionism? i'll wager zilch. what do you know about the founding of the state of israel? i'll wager zilch. what do you know about judaism in general? i know fucking zilch.
so don't you fucking come here and call what i say bullshit when you're full of nothing but ignorance on the topic, you dim little cunt.

FUCKING NETENYAHU HIMSELF SAID THIS WEEK THAT ISRAELI LAW WOULD BE BASED ON THE TALMUD.

Jews suffered during WW2 at the hands of the Nazis, where did they go if it was "secular". Did they go to Austarlia? Did they go to Canada? Did they to to Oregon? So you would have me believe none of why they moved to that area had anything to do with religion dispete that Hebrews are an ancient religion which wrote the Talmud and dispite today seeing Jews pray to Yahweh at the Western wall today.

Oh that's right the Talmud is a Hindu book, sorry you got me.

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:FUCKING

Brian37 wrote:

FUCKING NETENYAHU HIMSELF SAID THIS WEEK THAT ISRAELI LAW WOULD BE BASED ON THE TALMUD.

Jews suffered during WW2 at the hands of the Nazis, where did they go if it was "secular". Did they go to Austarlia? Did they go to Canada? Did they to to Oregon? So you would have me believe none of why they moved to that area had anything to do with religion dispete that Hebrews are an ancient religion which wrote the Talmud and dispite today seeing Jews pray to Yahweh at the Western wall today.

SO THE FUCK WHAT??? netanyahu is not a fucking DICTATOR, brian! netanyahu does not have carte blanche to legislate however the fuck he wants! netanyahu does not speak for judaism! netanyahu might not have much more of an idea of what the talmud is than YOU do!

OF COURSE the jews feel a religious connection to israel, but that doesn't mean it was founded to be a fucking THEOCRACY! IT WASN'T AND IT ISN'T! and YES, they DID go to oregon, they DID go to canada! the united states has the LARGEST JEWISH POPULATION IN THE WORLD! BRITAIN IS SECOND! do you think if the US had told david ben-gurion, "here, take a piece of nebraska to make your new country in," he would have told them to fuck off??? and yes, i'll wait for you to look up who david ben-gurion was.

my point is, THIS IS TYPICAL YOU. you have FRAGMENTARY KNOWLEDGE of the topic, you read a COUPLE HUFF-PO ARTICLES, and you think you have a firm grasp of one of the most complicated international situations in history, and REFUSE TO LISTEN to those who KNOW MORE THAN YOU. if you would just, for once in your miserable life, eat a little fucking HUMBLE PIE and think, "hey, i'm interested in this, but i'm no expert. this person has a point. i'll look into this further, i'll ask a few questions, maybe form a more nuanced opinion," but NO! YOU'RE A FUCKING LITTLE DILETTANTISH CUNT AND THINK NO ONE CAN TELL YOU SHIT ABOUT ANYTHING!

--Hunter S. Thompson

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline

iwbiek wrote:
Brian37 wrote:

SO THE FUCK WHAT??? netanyahu is not a fucking DICTATOR, brian! netanyahu does not have carte blanche to legislate however the fuck he wants! netanyahu does not speak for judaism! netanyahu might not have much more of an idea of what the talmud is than YOU do!

OF COURSE the jews feel a religious connection to israel, but that doesn't mean it was founded to be a fucking THEOCRACY! IT WASN'T AND IT ISN'T! and YES, they DID go to oregon, they DID go to canada! the united states has the LARGEST JEWISH POPULATION IN THE WORLD! BRITAIN IS SECOND! do you think if the US had told david ben-gurion, "here, take a piece of nebraska to make your new country in," he would have told them to fuck off??? and yes, i'll wait for you to look up who david ben-gurion was.

my point is, THIS IS TYPICAL YOU. you have FRAGMENTARY KNOWLEDGE of the topic, you read a COUPLE HUFF-PO ARTICLES, and you think you have a firm grasp of one of the most complicated international situations in history, and REFUSE TO LISTEN to those who KNOW MORE THAN YOU. if you would just, for once in your miserable life, eat a little fucking HUMBLE PIE and think, "hey, i'm interested in this, but i'm no expert. this person has a point. i'll look into this further, i'll ask a few questions, maybe form a more nuanced opinion," but NO! YOU'RE A FUCKING LITTLE DILETTANTISH CUNT AND THINK NO ONE CAN TELL YOU SHIT ABOUT ANYTHING!

QFT

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:Secular does

Brian37 wrote:

Still using words you don't know the meaning of. Usually you put words in the mouths of dead people, but you can't even get a simple term that takes a 2 second google search right.

sec·u·lar/ˈsekyələr/
adjective
1: denoting attitudes, activities, or other things that have no religious or spiritual basis.
2: (of clergy) not subject to or bound by religious rule; not belonging to or living in a monastic or other order.
3: of or denoting slow changes in the motion of the sun or planets.
4: (of a fluctuation or trend) occurring or persisting over an indefinitely long period.
5: occurring once every century or similarly long period (used especially in reference to celebratory games in ancient Rome).