User is offlineOffline
Natures strongest glue finally reveals its secrets

Nature's strongest glue comes unstuck

Date:
July 18, 2014

Source:
Newcastle University

Summary:
Over a 150 years since it was first described by Darwin, scientists are finally uncovering the secrets behind the super strength of barnacle glue. Still far better than anything we have been able to develop synthetically, barnacle glue -- or cement -- sticks to any surface, under any conditions. But exactly how this superglue of superglues works has remained a mystery -- until now.

Exerpt:
An international team of scientists led by Newcastle University, UK, and funded by the US Office of Naval Research, have shown for the first time that barnacle larvae release an oily droplet to clear the water from surfaces before sticking down using a phosphoprotein adhesive.
Publishing their findings this week in the academic journal Nature Communications, author Dr Nick Aldred says the findings could pave the way for the development of novel synthetic bioadhesives for use in medical implants and micro-electronics. The research will also be important in the production of new anti-fouling coatings for ships.

Full Article/Source:
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2014/07/140718095418.htm

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
digitalbeachbum's picture
User is offlineOffline
Wow that is cool! I had

Wow that is cool! I had heard about barnacles using that glue to hold on to things and that it was uber strong.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is onlineOnline
 "Nature's strongest glue"?

"Nature's strongest glue"? Is that what they are calling it these days? Ha, I made a funny.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog