Atheists are Uncomfortable Asking God to Do Terrible Things

Philosophicus
Philosophicus's picture
User is offlineOffline
Atheists are Uncomfortable Asking God to Do Terrible Things

A study finds that atheists feel uncomfortable asking God to do terrible things, matching emotional responses of the religious. How would you explain that?

When you click on the link scroll down to the study that says Atheists Get Emotionally Aroused When Daring God to Do Terrible Things. Then, if you want to save time, go right to the General Discussion tab.

http://www.tandfonline.com/toc/hjpr20/current#/doi/full/10.1080/10508619.2013.771991 

Jeffrick
High Level DonorRational VIP!SuperfanGold Member
Jeffrick's picture
User is offlineOffline
Slanted!!!!!!!!!!!!

Like all such religious surveys, it is slanted with the precept that 'god is real' and we atheist just don't [wanna] believe. As an atheist and a member of Rational Response my only rational response is to not bother with such nonsense questionaires.                     "asking a god; I don't believe in; or a religious precept I don't waste time with; to do anything Is assinine to the extreme!         

"Very funny Scotty; now beam down our clothes."

VEGETARIAN: Ancient Hindu word for "lousy hunter"

If man was formed from dirt, why is there still dirt?

harleysportster
atheist
harleysportster's picture
User is offlineOffline
Why would I

Why would I ask a god to do anything ?  Ever since leaving religion, I have not thought about things in those types of terms in a long, long, time. Very confusing to me to even phrase it like that to be honest.

“It is proof of a base and low mind for one to wish to think with the masses or majority, merely because the majority is the majority. Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people.”
― Giordano Bruno

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
I better not comment, poo

I better not comment, poo pooing religion makes me look like a real meany. NAW FUCK IT, HERE GOES

Daring a God to do bad things is like daring Thor to smite someone with lightening. To me it would be the same as daring Lex Luthor to give to charity.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:I better not

Brian37 wrote:
I better not comment, poo pooing religion makes me look like a real meany.

Missing the point, as always.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Any compassionate human

Any compassionate human would have an emotional reaction talking about a loved one dying or being hurt whether they believed the possibility was likely or not. 

If, if a white man puts his arm around me voluntarily, that's brotherhood. But if you - if you hold a gun on him and make him embrace me and pretend to be friendly or brotherly toward me, then that's not brotherhood, that's hypocrisy.- Malcolm X

Philosophicus
Philosophicus's picture
User is offlineOffline
~~~~

Beyond Saving wrote:

Any compassionate human would have an emotional reaction talking about a loved one dying or being hurt whether they believed the possibility was likely or not. 

That's what I thought until I got to this part: "Nonetheless, as the skin conductance levels also showed that atheists were more affected by God statements than by wish or offensive statements, it may be safe to conclude that atheists were less comfortable with daring God than with daring a more nebulous and impersonal fate or simply contemplating the distressing events."

Now I think that the atheists were being open-minded, accepting that, even though they don't believe in God, it's still possible that there is a God that would take the dare and hurt their loved ones.

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
Philosophicus wrote:Beyond

Philosophicus wrote:

Beyond Saving wrote:

That's what I thought until I got to this part: "Nonetheless, as the skin conductance levels also showed that atheists were more affected by God statements than by wish or offensive statements, it may be safe to conclude that atheists were less comfortable with daring God than with daring a more nebulous and impersonal fate or simply contemplating the distressing events."

Now I think that the atheists were being open-minded, accepting that, even though they don't believe in God, it's still possible that there is a God that would take the dare and hurt their loved ones.

Quite frankly, I sometimes get "emotionally aroused" just saying the word "god" because I find it absolutely disgusting that people worship a fictional being that is barbaric and evil. It is hardly a neutral word, and the study only measures reaction not what the reaction is. I'd daresay that a number of atheists on this site would show a strong reaction just saying the word god alone. 

If, if a white man puts his arm around me voluntarily, that's brotherhood. But if you - if you hold a gun on him and make him embrace me and pretend to be friendly or brotherly toward me, then that's not brotherhood, that's hypocrisy.- Malcolm X

harleysportster
atheist
harleysportster's picture
User is offlineOffline
Beyond Saving wrote: Quite

Beyond Saving wrote:

Quite frankly, I sometimes get "emotionally aroused" just saying the word "god" because I find it absolutely disgusting that people worship a fictional being that is barbaric and evil. It is hardly a neutral word, and the study only measures reaction not what the reaction is. I'd daresay that a number of atheists on this site would show a strong reaction just saying the word god alone. 

I agree. 

“It is proof of a base and low mind for one to wish to think with the masses or majority, merely because the majority is the majority. Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people.”
― Giordano Bruno

Teralek
Teralek's picture
User is offlineOffline
 I know why this is

I know why this is probably a true study. Because most people who say they don't believe in a God are not like Rational Responders people who have their positions well thought out. I am fairly certain that most people who say they don't believe say so out of anger towards life's hardship and injustice. This is actually more of a rebellion than a true disbelief. That's why these are real results. That's my explanation.