Another Snake Handling Preacher Dies from bite

harleysportster
atheist
harleysportster's picture
Posts: 3359
Joined: 2010-10-17
User is offlineOffline
Another Snake Handling Preacher Dies from bite

 Guess the Serpent was stronger than the WORD of the LORD ! 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-26224452

 

Snake Salvation pastor dies from snake bite

Jamie CootsJamie Coots refused to accept treatment following the rattlesnake bite

A snake-handling pastor who appeared on US TV show Snake Salvation has died after being bitten by a rattlesnake.

Jamie Coots was holding the snake at his church in Middlesboro, Kentucky, when he was bitten on the hand, according to fellow preacher Cody Winn.

The Middlesboro Police Department said Coots refused to have medical treatment for the bite.

Coots said last year that he needed the snakes for religious reasons, citing a Bible passage in Mark's gospel.

The handlers' religious conviction is based on a passage in Mark's gospel which reads: "They shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them; they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover."

National Geographic said in a statement that it was struck by Coots' "devout religious convictions despite the health and legal peril he often faced".

Snake handlerTimber rattlesnakes and copperheads are freely handled at such services

A police statement said that when an ambulance arrived at the Full Gospel Tabernacle in Jesus Name church on Saturday evening, staff were told Coots had gone home.

Coots was contacted at his house but refused to have any treatment. Emergency workers returned later in the evening, by which time Coots had died.

Mr Winn said that after the bite in church, Coots dropped the snake but then picked it up again.

"He had one of the rattlers in his hand," he told a local news station. "It just turned its head and bit him in the back of the hand... within a second."

Coots' son, also named Cody, said his father had been bitten eight times before but had never had such a severe reaction. He said the family thought he would recover as he had on previous occasions.

"We're going to go home, he's going to lay on the couch. He's going to hurt. He's going to pray for a while and he's going to get better," Cody Coots said.

"That's what happened every other time, except this time was just so quick and it was crazy."

Last year Jamie Coots was caught transporting three rattlesnakes and two copperheads through Knoxville, Tennessee. The snakes were confiscated.

Coots subsequently pleaded guilty to illegal wildlife possession and was given one year of unsupervised probation.

In 1995 28-year-old Melinda Brown, of Parrottsville, Tennessee, died after being bitten by a timber rattlesnake at Coots' church.

“It is proof of a base and low mind for one to wish to think with the masses or majority, merely because the majority is the majority. Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people.”
― Giordano Bruno


Old Seer
Theist
Posts: 1521
Joined: 2011-11-12
User is offlineOffline
I would try

the last one first--the laying on of hands. If that didn't work I'd forget the other two. Great guns, Absolute idiocy

The only possible thing the world needs saving from are those running it.

https://sites.google.com/site/oldseers

Knowledge trumps faith

Lies are nothing more then falsehoods searching for the truth


iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
Posts: 4197
Joined: 2008-03-23
User is offlineOffline
just read about this last


just read about this last night. as a kentucky boy, born and raised, i remember these "full gospel" churches springing up like toadstools in every available storefront, failed captain d's, and quonset hut available. my blood boils at this idiocy. now his family is deprived of a husband and father. as both a husband and father, i cannot fathom this level of irresponsibility.

"I have never felt comfortable around people who talk about their feelings for Jesus, or any other deity for that matter, because they are usually none too bright. . . . Or maybe 'stupid' is a better way of saying it; but I have never seen much point in getting heavy with either stupid people or Jesus freaks, just as long as they don't bother me. In a world as weird and cruel as this one we have made for ourselves, I figure anybody who can find peace and personal happiness without ripping off somebody else deserves to be left alone. They will not inherit the earth, but then neither will I. . . . And I have learned to live, as it were, with the idea that I will never find peace and happiness, either. But as long as I know there's a pretty good chance I can get my hands on either one of them every once in a while, I do the best I can between high spots."
--Hunter S. Thompson


Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
Posts: 13210
Joined: 2006-12-25
User is offlineOffline
Evolution at work. Too bad

Evolution at work. Too bad it waited until after he had kids.

Proud Canadian, Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.


digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
digitalbeachbum's picture
Posts: 4901
Joined: 2007-10-15
User is offlineOffline
1 - Says their god will

1 - Says their god will protect them if they get bitten.
2 - Refuses treatment because their god will protect them.
3 - Later dies from snake bite because their god wanted them to die.

Doh.


Jeffrick
High Level DonorRational VIP!SuperfanGold Member
Jeffrick's picture
Posts: 2446
Joined: 2008-03-25
User is offlineOffline
I heard this one before.

digitalbeachbum wrote:
1 - Says their god will protect them if they get bitten. 2 - Refuses treatment because their god will protect them. 3 - Later dies from snake bite because their god wanted them to die. Doh.

 

            Paster; Why am I here god, I thought you were going to protect me?

 

 

            And God spoke:  I sent the ambulence to the church and then I sent it to your house,  you couldn't take a hint  so welcome to hell!!!!!!!!!!!!

 

 

"Very funny Scotty; now beam down our clothes."

VEGETARIAN: Ancient Hindu word for "lousy hunter"

If man was formed from dirt, why is there still dirt?


zarathustra
atheist
zarathustra's picture
Posts: 1521
Joined: 2006-11-16
User is offlineOffline
 This would have settled

 This would have settled the Ham-Nye debate far more easily and definitively.

Ham could have demonstrated exactly how seriously he takes the bible, and Nye could have explained scientifically how snake venom kills its victims.

There are no theists on operating tables.

πππ†
π†††


Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
Posts: 13210
Joined: 2006-12-25
User is offlineOffline
Jeffrick

Jeffrick wrote:

digitalbeachbum wrote:
1 - Says their god will protect them if they get bitten. 2 - Refuses treatment because their god will protect them. 3 - Later dies from snake bite because their god wanted them to die. Doh.

 

            Paster; Why am I here god, I thought you were going to protect me?

 

 

            And God spoke:  I sent the ambulence to the church and then I sent it to your house,  you couldn't take a hint  so welcome to hell!!!!!!!!!!!!

 

 

Rofl!

Proud Canadian, Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.


Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
Posts: 15732
Joined: 2006-02-14
User is offlineOffline
Imagine if no one had ever

Imagine if no one had ever infected this moron with the idea God would protect him from a poisonous snake, he wouldh't have died needlessly. Those thoughts didn't magically pop into his head, they were put there by others, comming from a book of myth. So once again, another example of why religion needs to be treated like poison.

 

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under BrianJames Rational Poet also on twitter under Brianrrs37


Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
Posts: 15732
Joined: 2006-02-14
User is offlineOffline
iwbiek wrote: just read

iwbiek wrote:

just read about this last night. as a kentucky boy, born and raised, i remember these "full gospel" churches springing up like toadstools in every available storefront, failed captain d's, and quonset hut available. my blood boils at this idiocy. now his family is deprived of a husband and father. as both a husband and father, i cannot fathom this level of irresponsibility.

Why should your blood boil, I thought you liked protecting bullshit? Which is it? Or is it only ok when you call things bullshit?

Don't fucking lecture me about blasphemy or cussing when you just now RIGHTFULLY called this "idiocy" and "irresponsibility".

This is WHY religion should be called poison. Because of blindly swallowing this "idocy" this guy died and like you said deprived a family of a husband and father. Otherwise you should celebrate his death because it is part of our "freedom of religion".  There is a huge difference between protecting human rights, and not challenging clear absurdities. This is what happens when you say "leave them alone, who does it hurt".

 

 

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under BrianJames Rational Poet also on twitter under Brianrrs37


iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
Posts: 4197
Joined: 2008-03-23
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:iwbiek wrote:

Brian37 wrote:

iwbiek wrote:

just read about this last night. as a kentucky boy, born and raised, i remember these "full gospel" churches springing up like toadstools in every available storefront, failed captain d's, and quonset hut available. my blood boils at this idiocy. now his family is deprived of a husband and father. as both a husband and father, i cannot fathom this level of irresponsibility.

Why should your blood boil, I thought you liked protecting bullshit? Which is it? Or is it only ok when you call things bullshit?

Don't fucking lecture me about blasphemy or cussing when you just now RIGHTFULLY called this "idiocy" and "irresponsibility".

This is WHY religion should be called poison. Because of blindly swallowing this "idocy" this guy died and like you said deprived a family of a husband and father. Otherwise you should celebrate his death because it is part of our "freedom of religion".  There is a huge difference between protecting human rights, and not challenging clear absurdities. This is what happens when you say "leave them alone, who does it hurt".

 

 




i'm not going to waste anymore of my time on a fucking ignoramus.

"I have never felt comfortable around people who talk about their feelings for Jesus, or any other deity for that matter, because they are usually none too bright. . . . Or maybe 'stupid' is a better way of saying it; but I have never seen much point in getting heavy with either stupid people or Jesus freaks, just as long as they don't bother me. In a world as weird and cruel as this one we have made for ourselves, I figure anybody who can find peace and personal happiness without ripping off somebody else deserves to be left alone. They will not inherit the earth, but then neither will I. . . . And I have learned to live, as it were, with the idea that I will never find peace and happiness, either. But as long as I know there's a pretty good chance I can get my hands on either one of them every once in a while, I do the best I can between high spots."
--Hunter S. Thompson


Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
Posts: 13210
Joined: 2006-12-25
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:Imagine if no

Brian37 wrote:

Imagine if no one had ever infected this moron with the idea God would protect him from a poisonous snake, he wouldh't have died needlessly. Those thoughts didn't magically pop into his head, they were put there by others, comming from a book of myth. So once again, another example of why religion needs to be treated like poison.

 

You don't need religion to put stupid ideas into people's heads. You try doing it all the time and you don't believe in a god.

Your futile and hypocritical quest to label all religion as poison continues to fail.

Proud Canadian, Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.


danatemporary
danatemporary's picture
Posts: 1951
Joined: 2011-01-12
User is offlineOffline
Taking the hard way home; Taking the hard way home . .

iwbiek wrote:
  [Another Snake Handling Preacher Dies from bite ]  . .
just read about this last night. as a kentucky boy, born and raised, i remember these "full gospel" churches springing up like toadstools in every available storefront, failed captain d's, and quonset hut available. my blood boils at this idiocy. now his family is deprived of a husband and father. as both a husband and father, i cannot fathom this level of irresponsibility.

 

 

  >  Taking the hard way home; Taking the hard way home . .

 

ProzacDeathWish wrote:

iwbiek wrote:
i've read that foxes are comparatively easy to tame, but impossible to fully domesticate.

 

      I've read the same thing about these guys ...    Just ask Siegfried and Roy.

 Living is better than dying until youre called home; or **view video . .

 Misc --

  Attributions due to the Encyclopedia Of Life ''The puff adder Bitis arietans is a large, venomous snake that occurs throughout Africa and in the southwestern Arabian peninsula. This species usually reaches a maximum length of approximately 1 m, but the largest individuals may be nearly twice that long. Its relatively dull coloration, consisting of a pattern of dark chevrons on a lighter tan or brown background, camouflages the snake very effectively. This species is a primarily nocturnal ambush predator, preying on small mammals, birds, lizards, frogs, and toads, and while it spends most of its time on the ground, it can also swim or climb into low vegetation. It is generally slow-moving, but it can strike extremely quickly.  Due to its wide distribution, potent venom, and highly cryptic coloration which makes it prone to being stepped on inadvertently, Bitis arietans is thought to kill more people than any other African snake (Mallow et al. 2003), accounting for nearly 32,000 deaths per year and many more disabilities (Swaroop and Grab 1954). Its venom is highly toxic, capable of causing massive tissue necrosis, hypotension, coagulopathy, thrombocytopenia, and spontaneous bleeding, apparently adapted to immobilize prey and begin the digestive process. However, unlike in some of its close relatives, the venom of B. arietans acts relatively slowly, and with proper treatment, death can be prevented in 90-95% of cases (Spawls and Branch 1995, Lavonas et al. 2002, Mallow et al. 2003)''

 

 

 

  **http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8iB7KaWDyY { **http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8iB7KaWDyY }

 

(paraphrase) Thou Shall Not put the Lord your God to the Test . .

     It'd be like  getting into a bind & then a poisonous serpent biting  but you fully expecting your  Heavenly  Parent  to be right behind you to get you out; with no effect and the outcome would somehow turn out to be favorable.  Do NOT be a fool!! We all have to think of the future of our future loved ones afterall, right ?

 



 

 

 

  0ff -site  ::

 

       In this YouTube Video from the anime series Samurai Champloo, it is an  important  fight scene  where  Mugen and Jin Vs. Kariya are featured, and worth looking up on the Internet for this clip if  link is broken or down (honestly) . .

  If you get online you can view this video pay attention to this dialog in the fight scene (it's fun but helpful in a purely explanatory sense  . . **watch?v=XEiZBxpZDEc)

  **http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XEiZBxpZDEc {http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XEiZBxpZDEc}

1:16-1:20

  "Interesting .. You use erratic random movements not premitting anyone from predicting them"