Church Paintings Show Marx/Tito/Engels in Hell.

harleysportster
atheist
harleysportster's picture
User is offlineOffline
Church Paintings Show Marx/Tito/Engels in Hell.

This is called : The Church of Resurrection in Yugoslavia 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-25993584

Montenegro church depicts Tito, Marx and Engels in hell

Fresco from church in Podgorica, MontenegroTito, Marx and Engels are pictured in a sea of fire with diabolical beasts

A church in Montenegro has sparked controversy by displaying a fresco depicting Yugoslav communist leader Josip Broz Tito in the fires of hell with Karl Marx and Friedrich Engels.

The newly built Church of Resurrection in the capital Podgorica has already drawn criticism for its lavish design.

Critics now say the church should not be interfering in politics.

Works by philosophers Marx and Engels were required reading when Montenegro was part of communist Yugoslavia.

One church leader, named only as Dragan, told the Agence France-Presse news agency that Marx, Engels and Tito "personify communist evil in the Balkans" and the artist should be "allowed the freedom to see things as he wishes".

However, he added: "He cannot judge, in the name of the Church, who belongs in hell or heaven."

The fresco painter remains anonymous.

Visitors to the church were divided over whether the fresco should remain.

"The Church should not interfere in the secular world and determine who deserves a place in hell or heaven," said lawyer Rade Stankovic.

But another visitor, named only as Milos, said communism had caused "so much evil".

"Many people were killed in the name of the ideology promoted by Marx, Engels and their followers," he said.

The church is not the only religious building in Montenegro to depict figures from 20th Century history on its walls.

A monastery in Ostrog shows Hitler, Lenin and Tito together with Judas, who betrayed Jesus.

“It is proof of a base and low mind for one to wish to think with the masses or majority, merely because the majority is the majority. Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people.”
― Giordano Bruno

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
ProzacDeathWish's picture
User is offlineOffline
  Politics aside, I think

Politics aside, I think it's a pretty cool looking "kitsch" style painting.   Personally, if I had the money I would commission the artist to paint a similar one with Obama and Biden...

EXC
atheist
EXC's picture
User is offlineOffline
So does that make Satan a

So does that make Satan a member of the proletariat or bourgeoisie? If Satan is a communist also, why would he torture his fellow travelers?

Taxation is the price we pay for failing to build a civilized society. The higher the tax level, the greater the failure. A centrally planned totalitarian state represents a complete defeat for the civilized world, while a totally voluntary society represents its ultimate success. --Mark Skousen

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
wow, montenegrins saying

wow, montenegrins saying stupid things about stupid paintings. what a shock.

Quote:
Critics now say the church should not be interfering in politics.

how the fuck is this "interfering in politics"?

Quote:
"The Church should not interfere in the secular world and determine who deserves a place in hell or heaven,"

i can't even begin describing the problems with that statement.

Quote:
"Many people were killed in the name of the ideology promoted by Marx, Engels and their followers," he said.

ouch, the irony! it hurts!

oh, and incidentally, that's a pretty piss poor rendition of tito. i would have had no idea it was him, even next to marx and engels.

"I have never felt comfortable around people who talk about their feelings for Jesus, or any other deity for that matter, because they are usually none too bright. . . . Or maybe 'stupid' is a better way of saying it; but I have never seen much point in getting heavy with either stupid people or Jesus freaks, just as long as they don't bother me. In a world as weird and cruel as this one we have made for ourselves, I figure anybody who can find peace and personal happiness without ripping off somebody else deserves to be left alone. They will not inherit the earth, but then neither will I. . . . And I have learned to live, as it were, with the idea that I will never find peace and happiness, either. But as long as I know there's a pretty good chance I can get my hands on either one of them every once in a while, I do the best I can between high spots."
--Hunter S. Thompson

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
also, everybody looks pretty

also, everybody looks pretty relaxed and comfortable in hell. marx et al. are just sort of floating along and looking at the bishop-eating beast as if to say, "huh! look at that shit!"

"I have never felt comfortable around people who talk about their feelings for Jesus, or any other deity for that matter, because they are usually none too bright. . . . Or maybe 'stupid' is a better way of saying it; but I have never seen much point in getting heavy with either stupid people or Jesus freaks, just as long as they don't bother me. In a world as weird and cruel as this one we have made for ourselves, I figure anybody who can find peace and personal happiness without ripping off somebody else deserves to be left alone. They will not inherit the earth, but then neither will I. . . . And I have learned to live, as it were, with the idea that I will never find peace and happiness, either. But as long as I know there's a pretty good chance I can get my hands on either one of them every once in a while, I do the best I can between high spots."
--Hunter S. Thompson

Jabberwocky
atheist
User is offlineOffline
I've never been to

I've never been to Montenegro, but I'm a little familiar with Eastern Europe as my family is from there. In America we see that "In god we trust" and "under god" were added to the pledge of allegiance and the banknotes respectively as a nationalistic response to the communist enemy. In Poland, Catholicism and culture are still quite heavily intertwined. The church is given a lot of credit for the fall of communist rule in Poland, and that is amplified even heavier by the fact that the pope at the time was Polish. If it is anywhere close to that in Montenegro, such things don't surprise me whatsoever. 

Theists - If your god is omnipotent, remember the following: He (or she) has the cure for cancer, but won't tell us what it is.

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
Jabberwocky wrote:I've never

Jabberwocky wrote:

I've never been to Montenegro, but I'm a little familiar with Eastern Europe as my family is from there. In America we see that "In god we trust" and "under god" were added to the pledge of allegiance and the banknotes respectively as a nationalistic response to the communist enemy. In Poland, Catholicism and culture are still quite heavily intertwined. The church is given a lot of credit for the fall of communist rule in Poland, and that is amplified even heavier by the fact that the pope at the time was Polish. If it is anywhere close to that in Montenegro, such things don't surprise me whatsoever. 

well, i've lived in central europe (as an american, you learn quickly that "eastern europe" is a dirty word anywhere west of the ukraine) for almost a decade now, specifically slovakia. i've visited poland, the czech republic, and hungary multiple times, as well as single visits to romania, croatia, and macedonia. i've never been to montenegro, but i've met people of every nationality of the former yugoslavia. if i'm not mistaken, the orthodox church reigns supreme in montenegro, as it does in serbia.

orthodox christianity is a peculiar breed. in the balkan, it manifests itself as truly ignorant, backward, superstitious, nationalistic, and xenophobic. unlike the catholic church, the orthodox church, for the most part (orthodoxy is far more heterogeneous than catholicism), is completely uninterested in justifying itself and its beliefs to the wider world. because of their bad experiences with communism, the orthodox churches tend to stay insulated from the rest of the world. please remember that the majority of the world's orthodox churches were under communist rule for most of the 20th century, something no other branch of christianity can claim.

as for poland, yes, they're batshit crazy with their catholicism. it's as bad as ireland, if not worse. thank god there's no powerful protestant minority there like in ireland, or there would be just as much bloodshed. still, i have to say, wojtyla DID do a helluva lot to end communism in poland. the communists had spies all over the vatican, even before he became pope, trying to find ways to prevent his election, then, when that failed, trying to curtail his activities. i have a lot of admiration for karol wojtyla the dissident. i have nothing but scorn for john paul ii the pope. he did everything he could to roll back as many of the reforms of vatican ii as possible, and he largely succeeded. i still don't understand why slovaks insist on comparing john paul and his policies unfavorably with benedict: they were peas in a pod, and benedict did nothing but stay the course. the only reason ratzinger got as far as he did was because he was john paul's right-hand man. he just wasn't blessed with as much charisma and media savvy.

--Hunter S. Thompson