New Trial in South Caroline for 14 Year Old Executed in 1944

harleysportster
atheist
harleysportster's picture
User is offlineOffline
New Trial in South Caroline for 14 Year Old Executed in 1944

A 14 year old tried, found guilty and executed in 1944 may or may not get a new trial. I am not sure how a trial such as this would really operate. 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-25831553

US judge hears appeal on teen executed in 1940s

George Stinney Jr appears in an undated police booking photo provided by the South Carolina Department of Archives and History. Newspaper reports at the time said the 95lb (43kg) George Stinney could not fit into the straps in the electric chair

A South Carolina judge is hearing arguments over whether to grant a new trial to a 14-year-old black boy executed for murder in 1944.

George Stinney's supporters say his conviction for the murder of two white girls was tainted by the era's racist justice system and a lack of evidence.

Most evidence in the case, including Stinney's alleged confession, has been lost over time.

Analysts say it is unlikely Stinney will be granted a new trial.

But those seeking Stinney's exoneration say they will apply for a pardon if the trial is not granted.

'Day in court'

Speaking before a packed courtroom on Tuesday, Judge Carmen Mullen said the case was a "tragic situation," the Post and Courier newspaper reported.

"No-one here can justify a 14-year-old child being charged, tried and executed in 83 days," she said.

"In essence, not much was done for this child when his life lay in the balance."

On Tuesday, prosecutor Ernest Finney said the loss of evidence in the case did not mean it was deliberately destroyed.

"Back in 1944, we should have known better, but we didn't," Mr Finney, who is the son of South Carolina's first black chief justice, told the Associated Press news agency.

He said prosecutors did a good job in the context of South Carolina's legal system during that period.

One of Stinney's most outspoken supporters, George Frierson, said he had spent a decade fighting to get the boy exonerated.

"Somebody that didn't kill someone is finally getting his day in court," he said.

Stinney remains the youngest person executed in the US in 100 years. Outcry at the time over a 14-year-old going to the electric chair did not stop the execution.

According to contemporary newspaper accounts, Stinney's diminutive size - he weighed 95lb (43kg) and stood about 5ft 2in (1.57m) tall - gave his executioners trouble carrying out the sentence.

He was so small the straps of the electric chair did not fit around him, and an electrode was too big for his leg.

Judge Mullen noted she was not going to rule on whether or not Stinney was innocent but whether he received a fair trial.

Two girls, seven and 11, were found beaten to death a day after they reportedly spoke to Stinney and his sister.

After a search party found the girls, the teenager was reportedly pulled from his parents and interrogated without a lawyer.

Only a few months passed between the time of the murders and Stinney's execution.

“It is proof of a base and low mind for one to wish to think with the masses or majority, merely because the majority is the majority. Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people.”
― Giordano Bruno

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
As disgusting as it is that

As disgusting as it is that a 14 year old was murdered by the state, it has bern far too long to possibly be able to truly ascertain whether or not the conviction was done without bias. I'm really not sure what the point in having a retrial is.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
digitalbeachbum's picture
User is offlineOffline
I'm 100% sure that the boy

I'm 100% sure that the boy didn't do it.

They are saying he murdered two girls, beaten to death, found in the same location, but didn't produce any weapon, motive or place him in the location of the bodies at the correct time. Then the fact that they grilled him for who knows how many hours. Guaranteed the police knew it was a white male who was the son of the mayor or a senator, etc.

Yeah, sure I'm making shit up but you know it's more likely than the story those fucks made up.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
I'm quite sure that there's

I'm quite sure that there's a very high probability the kid didn't do it, but then I'm also quite sure there's a tonne of living people in jail for crimes they didn't commit. What is revisitiing a nearly century old case going to accomplish?

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote:I'm quite sure

Vastet wrote:
I'm quite sure that there's a very high probability the kid didn't do it, but then I'm also quite sure there's a tonne of living people in jail for crimes they didn't commit. What is revisitiing a nearly century old case going to accomplish?

That is precisely what I was thinking. With so many innocent people alive and in jail, no doubt some of whom are sitting on death row, it seems to me that time would be better spent trying to help them. With the evidence, testimonies and records lost, it is absolutely impossible to recreate anything similar to a fair trial. 

If, if a white man puts his arm around me voluntarily, that's brotherhood. But if you - if you hold a gun on him and make him embrace me and pretend to be friendly or brotherly toward me, then that's not brotherhood, that's hypocrisy.- Malcolm X

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
digitalbeachbum's picture
User is offlineOffline
Beyond Saving wrote:Vastet

Beyond Saving wrote:

Vastet wrote:

That is precisely what I was thinking. With so many innocent people alive and in jail, no doubt some of whom are sitting on death row, it seems to me that time would be better spent trying to help them. With the evidence, testimonies and records lost, it is absolutely impossible to recreate anything similar to a fair trial. 

They should just get it over with and free his name from this travesty.

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
digitalbeachbum wrote:Beyond

digitalbeachbum wrote:

Beyond Saving wrote:

Vastet wrote:

They should just get it over with and free his name from this travesty.

I wonder if some of his brothers/sisters or maybe nieces/nephews are pushing this hoping to sue the government for reparations. 

If, if a white man puts his arm around me voluntarily, that's brotherhood. But if you - if you hold a gun on him and make him embrace me and pretend to be friendly or brotherly toward me, then that's not brotherhood, that's hypocrisy.- Malcolm X

harleysportster
atheist
harleysportster's picture
User is offlineOffline
Beyond Saving wrote: I

Beyond Saving wrote:

I wonder if some of his brothers/sisters or maybe nieces/nephews are pushing this hoping to sue the government for reparations. 

Believe it or not, that thought did cross my mind. I am sure that during that time period there are plenty of records similar. I wonder why this case is up ? 

“It is proof of a base and low mind for one to wish to think with the masses or majority, merely because the majority is the majority. Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people.”
― Giordano Bruno