Bayes' theorem app for the God hypothesis

smartbean
User is offlineOffline
Bayes' theorem app for the God hypothesis

I wrote an app that guides the user through the application of Bayes' theorem to the God hypothesis. I think it might be useful for off-line discussions between theists and atheists, as it goes through many of the major arguments.

The app allows the user to define their God (e.g., "loving and unlimited power" or "evil and waning power" ), then presents a series of factual observations. For each observation, the user is asked to rate the consistency of the facts with the existence and non-existence of God. After going through all the observations, the user is given the odds of the existence of such a God. From what I can tell, when atheists run the app, they get results like a-million-to-one against, while theists get odds like 10:1 in favor. 

Feedback is welcome. I've had great feedback from both atheists and theists, but I've also been berated and insulted by both atheists and theists. Apparently, some atheists are offended by the idea that the probability has to be calculated, and think I'm a theist trying to convert them. Some theists claim that the app is biased against theism, but I think that's just the facts speaking. 

In any case, if anyone is interested, the app is at https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=borland.doesgodexist

Full disclosure: the app is ad-supported. My still-distant financial goal is to make enough to buy a bag of cat treats (about $3). If the app is reasonably popular, I'm contemplating other skeptic-oriented apps.

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
digitalbeachbum's picture
User is offlineOffline
I support your endevor with

I support your endevor with words only, keep up the work and who knows where it will lead.

For me, I don't need an app to tell me if there is a god or not. I already know that all gods presented to me in all the different religions are unprovable; as well not disprovable. This is because they can not be tested any more than the Flying Spaghetti Monster.

harleysportster
atheist
harleysportster's picture
User is offlineOffline
I actually happen to think

I actually happen to think that this is a good idea and want to see how it works out. 

Great job in coming up with a good design like this. I have looked at the link and bookmarked it. I will definitely be spreading it around Smiling 

“It is proof of a base and low mind for one to wish to think with the masses or majority, merely because the majority is the majority. Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people.”
― Giordano Bruno

smartbean
User is offlineOffline
digitalbeachbum wrote:I

digitalbeachbum wrote:

I support your endevor with words only, keep up the work and who knows where it will lead.

For me, I don't need an app to tell me if there is a god or not. I already know that all gods presented to me in all the different religions are unprovable; as well not disprovable. This is because they can not be tested any more than the Flying Spaghetti Monster.

Thanks for the support.

Even if you need no convincing yourself, you might find the app useful in conversations with believers. If nothing else, it can help elucidate differences in reactions to things like the existence of evil, changing morality over time, etc.

I can even imagine using it in a context where one doesn't have time or energy to discuss the issues with someone. One could simply suggest that they check out the app, to be followed by discussion if interested. It's like recommending a book, but doesn't require as much of an investment in time for the person to follow up.

smartbean
User is offlineOffline
harleysportster wrote: I

harleysportster wrote:

I actually happen to think that this is a good idea and want to see how it works out. 

Great job in coming up with a good design like this. I have looked at the link and bookmarked it. I will definitely be spreading it around Smiling 

Thanks for the encouragement and support. If you have a chance to try it, I'd like to hear your feedback.

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
digitalbeachbum's picture
User is offlineOffline
smartbean

smartbean wrote:

digitalbeachbum wrote:

Thanks for the support.

Even if you need no convincing yourself, you might find the app useful in conversations with believers. If nothing else, it can help elucidate differences in reactions to things like the existence of evil, changing morality over time, etc.

I can even imagine using it in a context where one doesn't have time or energy to discuss the issues with someone. One could simply suggest that they check out the app, to be followed by discussion if interested. It's like recommending a book, but doesn't require as much of an investment in time for the person to follow up.

I keep it on the back burner in case it is needed.

Atheistextremist
atheist
Atheistextremist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hey SmartBean

Interesting - visited the link too, the first thought in my mind being 'what the eff is a god' and you already had that covered. 

Will have a look when have pad to hand. Can't imagine how it will work out for me. 

Good idea, eh? 

"Experiments are the only means of knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." Max Planck