Israel calls EU "Pro-Palestinian"

harleysportster
atheist
harleysportster's picture
User is offlineOffline
Israel calls EU "Pro-Palestinian"

Apparently tensions are up, what with the recent Kerry problem and now this : 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-25778361

Israel has summoned the ambassadors of Britain, France, Italy and Spain, accusing their countries of pro-Palestinian bias.

The Foreign Ministry said the envoys would be told that their "perpetual one-sided stance" is unacceptable.

On Thursday, the four EU countries summoned Israeli ambassadors to object to plans to expand settlements in the occupied West Bank.

The EU's Catherine Ashton has labelled the settlements "an obstacle to peace".

However, Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said it was "time to stop this hypocrisy" and "inject some balance and fairness to this discussion".

"The EU calls our ambassadors in because of the construction of a few houses? When did the EU call in the Palestinian ambassadors about incitement

that calls for Israel's destruction?" he said at a meeting of foreign journalists on Thursday.

The Israeli government has accused the Palestinian Authority of taking no action to stop inflammatory language against Israel and Jewish people in its official media.

"This imbalance and this bias against Israel doesn't advance peace," Mr Netanyahu said.

"I think it pushes peace further away because it tells the Palestinians: 'Basically you can do anything you want, say anything you want and you won't be held accountable.'"

Last week Israel announced plans to build 1,400 new homes in Jewish settlements in the West Bank and East Jerusalem, which Ms Ashton said constituted "an obstacle to peace and threaten[ed] to make the two-state solution impossible".

About 500,000 Jews live in more than 100 settlements built since Israel's 1967 occupation of the West Bank and East Jerusalem.

The settlements are considered illegal under international law, though Israel disputes this.

“It is proof of a base and low mind for one to wish to think with the masses or majority, merely because the majority is the majority. Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people.”
― Giordano Bruno

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Israeli hypocrisy is

Israeli hypocrisy is amazing. Good for the EU. Hopefully they continue to tell Israel where to shove their bullshit.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Can anyone tell me what kind

Can anyone tell me what kind of government Palestine would set up if given a state? Would they give equal rights to minorities and protect other religions and protect freedom of speech? Would they allow dissent and offensive speech?

I actaully agree with the criticisms on Isreal, they have not been acting like the adult in the relationship which as a more modern culture, should be.

But if I am to support Palestine I'd like some indication that they are ready to get with the modern world and political and religious pluralism.

It isn't enough to simply call Israel a bully, you still have to deal with deep seeded tribalism and religion that infect BOTH sides.

I'd like to see Isreal pull back, tear down their wall. I'd like to see them take the gang symbol off of their flag. I'd also like to get Palestine's authorities to make a promise to make a goal of pluralism and equality both religious and political.

There can be no two state solution if all it is going to do is create a buffer for both sides to build up arms against each other.

I DO think the world is waking up, and I DO think Isreal has been coddled too much, but I still am at unease as to what their "Muslim state" might do if given that buffer.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Noone can tell you anything

Noone can tell you anything because you're too stupid to understand.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:Can anyone

Brian37 wrote:

Can anyone tell me what kind of government Palestine would set up if given a state? Would they give equal rights to minorities and protect other religions and protect freedom of speech? Would they allow dissent and offensive speech?

I actaully agree with the criticisms on Isreal, they have not been acting like the adult in the relationship which as a more modern culture, should be.

But if I am to support Palestine I'd like some indication that they are ready to get with the modern world and political and religious pluralism.

It isn't enough to simply call Israel a bully, you still have to deal with deep seeded tribalism and religion that infect BOTH sides.

I'd like to see Isreal pull back, tear down their wall. I'd like to see them take the gang symbol off of their flag. I'd also like to get Palestine's authorities to make a promise to make a goal of pluralism and equality both religious and political.

There can be no two state solution if all it is going to do is create a buffer for both sides to build up arms against each other.

I DO think the world is waking up, and I DO think Isreal has been coddled too much, but I still am at unease as to what their "Muslim state" might do if given that buffer.

yeah, shame on palestine for not doing immediately what it took the western world several centuries of struggle to do...

"I have never felt comfortable around people who talk about their feelings for Jesus, or any other deity for that matter, because they are usually none too bright. . . . Or maybe 'stupid' is a better way of saying it; but I have never seen much point in getting heavy with either stupid people or Jesus freaks, just as long as they don't bother me. In a world as weird and cruel as this one we have made for ourselves, I figure anybody who can find peace and personal happiness without ripping off somebody else deserves to be left alone. They will not inherit the earth, but then neither will I. . . . And I have learned to live, as it were, with the idea that I will never find peace and happiness, either. But as long as I know there's a pretty good chance I can get my hands on either one of them every once in a while, I do the best I can between high spots."
--Hunter S. Thompson