NFL Playoffs '14!

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
NFL Playoffs '14!

Playoff season! For wildcard weekend, we have

Chiefs at the Colts- I have to go with the Colts. They have been really strong at home all year, beating great teams like the Seahawks and Broncos. Their offense is simply better than the Chiefs, and with the home team advantage I see a relatively high scoring shootout with the Colts ahead by a touchdown.

Saints at the Eagles- The Saints are going to win this one, and I suspect win it pretty big. Yeah, they have been sucking on the road and have several losses at the end of the season, but these are the playoffs. Payton & Brees Inc. know what they are doing and are going against the worst pass defense in the league. Drew Brees pads his stats with another 400 yard+ game. The Eagles will put up some respectable points, but won't be able to keep pace. I think the experts and Vegas are insane putting the Eagles as favorites here. By far the best game if you want to bet some money. 

Chargers at the Bengals- I hate the Bengals. I really, really do. I like the Chargers. I don't see any way the Chargers can win this game, but I will be rooting for them.

49'ers at Green Bay- This is the game I am most looking forward to. Rodgers is healthy and it is going to be colder than a witches nipple. The Packers offense should be dominant, the only question is whether their defense can contain Gore and Kaepernick in the run game. I think home field advantage is going to tip this one in favor of Green Bay, although I won't be completely stunned if SF pulls out a last minute win.

If, if a white man puts his arm around me voluntarily, that's brotherhood. But if you - if you hold a gun on him and make him embrace me and pretend to be friendly or brotherly toward me, then that's not brotherhood, that's hypocrisy.- Malcolm X

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
digitalbeachbum's picture
User is offlineOffline
Well, as of this post...

Well, as of this post... Dolts took advantage of blunders by Chiefs and came back to win it. I didn't think the Dolts could do it.

The Saints and Eagles  seem to have a close game going... depends on who has the better running game I think.

I agree about the Packer/49er game... it's going to be fucking colder than Mars out there and that is pretty fucking cold. (with wind chill). Some of the Packers said they wouldn't be wearing long sleeves but after two practices they seem to be changing their minds. You are talking about frost bite.

The running back for the Packers said he would not be doing so but I think he will have problems. He said he didn't want to put any thing in between his skin and the ball, but I think that when his arms get cold he isn't going to feel any thing so a thin sleeve I think is better.

I remember the story about Art Donovan, who played real football for a real league.

He played a game in the freezing cold. When the game was over every one went inside but he stayed outside. The trainer came to look for him and found him on the bench sitting alone. He asked him what was wrong and Art replied, "I think I broke my leg..." to which the trainer replied, "when did you do that?"

Art then said, "back in the 1st quarter."

He had played the entire game with a broken leg and never complained.

That's fucking hard core.

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
digitalbeachbum wrote:I

digitalbeachbum wrote:

I remember the story about Art Donovan, who played real football for a real league.

He played a game in the freezing cold. When the game was over every one went inside but he stayed outside. The trainer came to look for him and found him on the bench sitting alone. He asked him what was wrong and Art replied, "I think I broke my leg..." to which the trainer replied, "when did you do that?"

Art then said, "back in the 1st quarter."

He had played the entire game with a broken leg and never complained.

That's fucking hard core.

Yeah, they don't make football players like they used to. Perhaps that isn't fair, there are a lot of football players who try to play through injuries, but the medical staff won't let them. Brett Favre wouldn't even be allowed into the NFL in today's world because of his avascular necrosis, and no QB will ever break his record for most consecutive starts because they will be pulled for a concussion whether they like it or not. Like Jamaal Charles yesterday, in the past he would have been put back into the game and if he had stayed in, I think the Chiefs would have won easily. 

If, if a white man puts his arm around me voluntarily, that's brotherhood. But if you - if you hold a gun on him and make him embrace me and pretend to be friendly or brotherly toward me, then that's not brotherhood, that's hypocrisy.- Malcolm X

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
User is offlineOffline
Well you called it.

Well you called it. Kaepernick was running freely, all over the field. Over 100 yards rushing for a QB is a signed death warrant for any defense.

I was hoping for a ton of snow, but oh well, it was a good game.

Only game which surprised me was was the Chiefs losing.

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
I was actually quite

I was actually quite surprised that the Chargers beat the Bengals, or should I say that the Bungles rolled over and played dead? I'm happy about it, but that was a really ugly game. The Chargers are dead next round.

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
User is offlineOffline
Beyond Saving wrote:I was

Beyond Saving wrote:

I was actually quite surprised that the Chargers beat the Bengals, or should I say that the Bungles rolled over and played dead? I'm happy about it, but that was a really ugly game. The Chargers are dead next round.

Yeah the Chargers belong in the playoffs like the Dolphins do; I was very happy the Dolphins didn't make it.

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
FWIW, week two

FWIW, week two predictions.

Saints @ Seahawks- the Saints got gutted last time they played in Seattle, I don't expect that kind of blow out. But to win, the Saints will have to put up 30+ points and I don't see that happening. The Seahawks have the best defense in the league and they are going to force the Saints to rely on their less than stellar running game. Meanwhile, the Seahawks rushing game should have no problem chewing up the Saints defense. Have to pick the Seahawks to win.

Colts @ Patriots- Conventional wisdom and the Vegas lines have the Patriots as huge favorites. I don't think so. If Luck plays like he did in the second half last week the Colts have the capability of winning this game. Betting against Brady in the playoffs is always risky, but he isn't surrounded by the best team this year. I'm going with the Colts and especially like the Vegas line with the Colts +7.5

49er's @ Panthers- This should be a really close game, it really could go either way. I expect a low scoring defensive struggle. I'll give a slight edge to the Panthers, they haven't been getting a lot of attention in the national sports media, but their defense has been strong and their offense has smoothed over the rough edges from the beginning of the season.

Chargers @ Broncos- Lol, Chargers get steamrolled.

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
User is offlineOffline
Beyond Saving wrote:FWIW,

Beyond Saving wrote:

Saints @ Seahawks- the Saints got gutted last time they played in Seattle, I don't expect that kind of blow out. But to win, the Saints will have to put up 30+ points and I don't see that happening. The Seahawks have the best defense in the league and they are going to force the Saints to rely on their less than stellar running game. Meanwhile, the Seahawks rushing game should have no problem chewing up the Saints defense. Have to pick the Seahawks to win.

Colts @ Patriots- Conventional wisdom and the Vegas lines have the Patriots as huge favorites. I don't think so. If Luck plays like he did in the second half last week the Colts have the capability of winning this game. Betting against Brady in the playoffs is always risky, but he isn't surrounded by the best team this year. I'm going with the Colts and especially like the Vegas line with the Colts +7.5

49er's @ Panthers- This should be a really close game, it really could go either way. I expect a low scoring defensive struggle. I'll give a slight edge to the Panthers, they haven't been getting a lot of attention in the national sports media, but their defense has been strong and their offense has smoothed over the rough edges from the beginning of the season.

I agreed with the Seahawks prediction.

I disagreed with the Colts prediction.

49ers have the edge after their win again Packers. Shut down their QB and Panthers lose. Don't shut him down and it will be a close game.

I agree with the Charger prediction but remember they split games these season. Chargers are one dimensional. Broncos win.

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
User is offlineOffline
On paper the Panthers looked

On paper the Panthers looked good, the exception is the interceptions and sacks.

I think this is a good example of the Panthers weak offense. They lack the ability to finish the job and score.

Even with out the 11 points from the 49er kicker, they still win by 4 points.

EXC
atheist
EXC's picture
User is offlineOffline
Beyond Saving wrote:FWIW,

Beyond Saving wrote:

Please I need more of your predictions for next Sunday so I can bet the other way and make fortune.

Taxation is the price we pay for failing to build a civilized society. The higher the tax level, the greater the failure. A centrally planned totalitarian state represents a complete defeat for the civilized world, while a totally voluntary society represents its ultimate success. --Mark Skousen

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
User is offlineOffline
Tough calls this

Tough calls this time.

Broncos over Pats (31-17)

The only reason The Pats are in the playoffs is because they play in one of the worst divisions in the league. Their defense is also a mess but better than their offense. Put them in any NFC division and they are a 8-8 team. They nearly lost to teams which were worse than a 50/50 team.

The Broncos are firing on all cylinders. They have full health, extra skills on the bench and a solid defense. They have home field and every thing else going for them.

49ers and Seahawks (28-28) OT

This will be a nail biter. The Seahawks are playing extremely well and one of the best teams in the league. They have a solid running/passing game but lack 3rd down conversions. Their defense is the one of the best in the league but will have trouble containing the 3D 49er attack. They also have home field advantage.

The 49ers QB will make the difference as the Seahawk defense will not contain the QB. This adds another dimension to the offense which the Seahawks don't have; and their defense is just as good as the Seahawks. They have won 4 straight on the road so the homefield advantage will be limited if they can quiet the fans early.

I think the 49ers are the better team over all but this is a game of chance and there are always injuries or miracle catches. 49ers win by 3.

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
I agree with the Broncos,

I agree with the Broncos, but I think the game will be a little closer, probably within 10 points. 49ers vs. Seahawks I'm going with the Seahawks. It should be much closer than the game they played earlier in the year though because the offense of the 49ers is a lot healthier.

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
User is offlineOffline
Beyond Saving wrote:I agree

Beyond Saving wrote:

I agree with the Broncos, but I think the game will be a little closer, probably within 10 points. 49ers vs. Seahawks I'm going with the Seahawks. It should be much closer than the game they played earlier in the year though because the offense of the 49ers is a lot healthier.

They should both be good games. No blow-outs.

I just think that the Seahawks, while having a great team, isn't all there. The QB is awesome but he isn't a break out player. He and the entire offense converted only 29% of their 3rd conversions for the season. The 49ers will get them on that area alone, but worse is the injuries to the backfileld which I believe won't cover the scambling power of the 49ers QB. The team who will win is the one who can run the ball and have more time of possession.

The Pats have a good team but they really sucked this year. The record they carry isn't any thing spectacular. If you look at their record most of their games were won in the final seconds by less than 6 points. The Broncos will take advantage of that along with the home field and the weather. I'm hoping it will be a hard snow storm to hit the area before the game. When it snows in Denver the weather cause the area to get super dry. The Pats will have trouble dealing with the change while the Broncos will thrive in it.

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
User is offlineOffline
Not a bad guess for the

Not a bad guess for the first game.

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
User is offlineOffline
Wow. I am shocked. I thought

Wow. I am shocked. I thought for sure the 49ers woudl have won. I knew it would be a close game but I really didn't think the Seahawks could out do the 49ers.

I'm not sure what happened. I didn't watch the game, but it looks like either the 49er defense gave up or the 49er offense got shut down. I'm wondering if their were some injuries

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
User is offlineOffline
Super Bowl Shock

Well I am shocked over the results of the game. I figured it would be a close toss up and no more than 10 points seperating the winner and loser. The Broncos looked flat and lethargic from the start; they never seemed in sync nor seemed to have any energy. The Seahawks did what they were supposed to do, capitalize on the mistakes of their opponent.

I have already seen articles about this "dynasty" talk about how the Seahawks will be multiple Super Bowl winners, but have people forgotten about the 49ers already? They were one catch away from being in the Super Bowl instead of the Seahawks. I wouldn't count the eggs just yet; I do not believe the Seakhawks will repeat.

I think Manning has one more chance in him, to get a Super Bowl win. However he'll need to stay healthy and do it in the next 2-3 years. He won't make it past 40 years of age as a QB.