A Merry Christmas to all!

JesusLovesYou
Theist
User is offlineOffline
A Merry Christmas to all!

Before you shout at me about winter solstice and saturnalia I am not an ignorant person, I do not deny they were origins of most of our Christmas traditions like most Christians do. HOWEVER, these adoptions happened long before any of us can remember and they are so ingrained in our culture and have BECOME Christmas. Is a Christian inviting paganism into their home by doing these things? No, not at all. It is a matter of the heart. A Christian celebrates Jesus, the creator of the universe, humbling Himself by taking on flesh. Adopting traditions such as decorating trees and giving gifts does not make Him any less real. 

Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

danatemporary
danatemporary's picture
User is offlineOffline
Merry Christmas JesusLovesYou.

Merry Christmas JesusLovesYou. Reminder of some threads we have for you to take a moment with like ::  50 reasons people give for believing in a god |; *If the God of the bible does not exist, then why debate it? ; Nearly 1% of women believe they have had a 'virgin birth';    RIP to Peter O' Toole ; The moral reason to reject all god claims; Anti-Bacterial Soaps. Are they safe ?

P.S. --  We (as in I) was just *talking about Christology in a resent thread  BELIEVE YOU ME Smiling

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
and your heathen god-baby

and your heathen god-baby and persian astrologers don't make wotan any less real.

danatemporary
danatemporary's picture
User is offlineOffline
Point of clarification

Point of clarification 

iwbiek wrote:
and your heathen god-baby and persian astrologers don't make wotan any less real.

That is a very creative interpretation of what I posted about at length,  you obvious feel it is fair, just, and correct. Or you wouldnt have brought about this unexpected response, you shared , in your opinion of my "beliefs for nothing. What led to this ? Must be missing it seeing I was talking about the Gnostics.  I was simply trying to tell JLY about something I pointed, and to check out other threads while he was at it  Smiling 

p.s.  --  Nu 1   Typeo, it's spelled recent  not  resent

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
that was in response to the

that was in response to the OP. specifically this:

Quote:
Adopting traditions such as decorating trees and giving gifts does not make Him any less real.

"I have never felt comfortable around people who talk about their feelings for Jesus, or any other deity for that matter, because they are usually none too bright. . . . Or maybe 'stupid' is a better way of saying it; but I have never seen much point in getting heavy with either stupid people or Jesus freaks, just as long as they don't bother me. In a world as weird and cruel as this one we have made for ourselves, I figure anybody who can find peace and personal happiness without ripping off somebody else deserves to be left alone. They will not inherit the earth, but then neither will I. . . . And I have learned to live, as it were, with the idea that I will never find peace and happiness, either. But as long as I know there's a pretty good chance I can get my hands on either one of them every once in a while, I do the best I can between high spots."
--Hunter S. Thompson

danatemporary
danatemporary's picture
User is offlineOffline
No more personal sensitivities (double meaning)

iwbiek wrote:
that was in response to the OP. specifically this:
Quote:
Adopting traditions such as decorating trees and giving gifts does not make Him any less real.

My bad 

__   __

No more personal sensitivities, (on my part).

T0::  The  OP 

Getting to this question is another matter for some where the OP wrote ::

OP   states  ::   Is a Christian inviting paganism into their home by doing these things? No, not at all.

I can't help but think of a couple of songs you've doubtlessly heard, but did you pay close attention to the lyrics JLY ?

The  Yule-tide  Carol .. the Yule-time treasure ?

_  _

Here we come a-wassailing among the leaves so green;
     Here we come a-wandering, so fair to be seen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLZuj87JelA  :: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtaQkKfECNE

Atheistextremist
atheist
Atheistextremist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Merry satanalia JLY

Hope you have a good one. An all powerful perfect god turning itself into a helpless baby. Makes perfect sense. 

"Experiments are the only means of knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." Max Planck

Sage_Override
atheistBlogger
User is offlineOffline
Fuck this, Happy Festivus,

Fuck this, Happy Festivus, bitches.

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
ProzacDeathWish's picture
User is offlineOffline
JesusLovesYou wrote: A

JesusLovesYou wrote:

A Christian celebrates Jesus...

I'm not a Christian, or a pagan.  I'm an atheist.     You're in the wrong neighborhood to be peddling that tripe, LOL ! 

Kapkao
atheistSuperfan
Kapkao's picture
User is offlineOffline
Go away or I'll say a

Go away or I'll say a second time.

danatemporary
danatemporary's picture
User is offlineOffline
↑ Re :: I cannot say any more (who may have missed it)

Re  ::  I cannot say any more (plus Timing Out on this machine)

http:://www.rationalresponders.com/forum/34183 Nu 1  http://www.rationalresponders.com/forum/34183#comment-406898

p.s. -- That would mean I myself may have run across glossary terms like 'joltid' as in Yul Tide,  own heritage aside, that is.  Oh,  And  My tombstone, someday, wont be having any neo-pagan emblems or markers on it in accordance with their burial customs, K?

JesusLovesYou
Theist
User is offlineOffline
danatemporary wrote:  Re 

danatemporary wrote:

http:://www.rationalresponders.com/forum/34183 Nu 1  http://www.rationalresponders.com/forum/34183#comment-406898

p.s. -- That would mean I myself may have run across glossary terms like 'joltid' as in Yul Tide,  own heritage aside, that is.  Oh,  And  My tombstone, someday, wont be having any neo-pagan emblems or markers on it in accordance with their burial customs, K?

what does that have to do with anything

Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

JesusLovesYou
Theist
User is offlineOffline
 colossians 3:17. ALL THAT

colossians 3:17. ALL THAT YOU DO IN WORD OR DEED DO IN THE NAME OF THE LORD JESUS. So in other words it is an issue of the heart.

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
User is offlineOffline
JesusLovesYou wrote:    

JesusLovesYou wrote:

ALL THAT YOU DO IN WORD OR DEED DO IN THE NAME OF THE LORD ALLAH.

( fixed )

JesusLovesYou
Theist
User is offlineOffline
ProzacDeathWish

ProzacDeathWish wrote:

JesusLovesYou wrote:

( fixed )

I know this MK that lived in the middle east for years. The arabic Bible word for God is allah. I am quoting actual scripture, what you are doing is name replacement to try to throw me off....doesn't work unless u can quote from the qu'ran for islam.

danatemporary
danatemporary's picture
User is offlineOffline
Look man-child Why are you bothering to ask in the first place ?

JesusLovesYou wrote:

danatemporary wrote:

Quote:
. .what does that have to do with anything . .

If you want to step in the middle of a conversation. Best to be slow to speak or directly and pleasantly state 'where' you don't follow. If it is (purely)  posed not to elicit an answer but merely rhetorical question. Why are you bothering to ask in the first place ?

JesusLovesYou
Theist
User is offlineOffline
danatemporary

danatemporary wrote:

JesusLovesYou wrote:

danatemporary wrote:

Quote:
. .what does that have to do with anything . .

If you want to step in the middle of a conversation. Best to be slow to speak or directly and pleasantly state 'where' you don't follow. If it is (purely)  posed not to elicit an answer but merely rhetorical question. Why are you bothering to ask in the first place ?

I'm not stepping into the middle of any conversation. I started the conversation. You are off on your own personal tangent like usual

danatemporary
danatemporary's picture
User is offlineOffline
↑ Frankly was I ever even addressing you in this ?!??

Frankly was I ever even addressing you  in this ?!??

JesusLovesYou
Theist
User is offlineOffline
danatemporary wrote: 

danatemporary wrote:

I can never tell

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
User is offlineOffline
JesusLovesYou

JesusLovesYou wrote:

I am quoting actual scripture, what you are doing is name replacement to try to throw me off

Throw you off ?  I'm absolutely sure you got my meaning. 

JesusLovesYou wrote:
....doesn't work unless u can quote from the qu'ran for islam.

Apparently it worked perfectly.

JesusLovesYou
Theist
User is offlineOffline
ProzacDeathWish

ProzacDeathWish wrote:

JesusLovesYou wrote:

I am quoting actual scripture, what you are doing is name replacement to try to throw me off

Throw you off ?  I'm absolutely sure you got my meaning. 

JesusLovesYou wrote:
....doesn't work unless u can quote from the qu'ran for islam.

Apparently it worked perfectly.

So then where is your direct qu'ran quote

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
User is offlineOffline
JesusLovesYou wrote:So then

JesusLovesYou wrote:

If you continue to avoid acknowledging my point concerning the overlap between the three Abrahamic religions of Islam, Judaism and Christianity and their strikingly similar belief systems ( http://www.crossfaithministry.org/abrahamic.html ) based upon their Holy Books ( that means based directly upon their scripture )  then it is obvious that you prefer to pretend that you still don't understand the remarkable interchangeability between them.   Perhaps you are embarrassed by the association.  I would be, too.

That, was clearly my point ( and you know it ) .  Read the pro-religion link I provided for you.    I can't dumb it down for you any further than that.

JesusLovesYou
Theist
User is offlineOffline
ProzacDeathWish

ProzacDeathWish wrote:

JesusLovesYou wrote:

If you continue to avoid acknowledging my point concerning the overlap between the three Abrahamic religions of Islam, Judaism and Christianity and their strikingly similar belief systems ( http://www.crossfaithministry.org/abrahamic.html ) based upon their Holy Books ( that means based directly upon their scripture )  then it is obvious that you prefer to pretend that you still don't understand the remarkable interchangeability between them.   Perhaps you are embarrassed by the association.  I would be, too.

That, was clearly my point ( and you know it ) .  Read the pro-religion link I provided for you.    I can't dumb it down for you any further than that.

Of course there is an overlap. Not denying that. Scripture accounts for it. That does not change the fact that God humbled Himself as a man by taking on flesh.

Kapkao
atheistSuperfan
Kapkao's picture
User is offlineOffline
(No subject)

danatemporary
danatemporary's picture
User is offlineOffline
Okay! Notice the small white arrow in the subjectline . .

JesusLovesYou wrote:

danatemporary wrote:

I can never tell

Attn.  -- JLY

Okay!  Please Identify the small arrow up in the Upload, then notice it in this Thread once you are able to find it. 

View  Image --

JesusLovesYou
Theist
User is offlineOffline
danatemporary

danatemporary wrote:

JesusLovesYou wrote:

danatemporary wrote:

I can never tell

Attn.  -- JLY

Okay!  Please Identify the small arrow up in the Upload, then notice it in this Thread once you are able to find it. 

View  Image --

Ok

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
User is offlineOffline
JesusLovesYou

JesusLovesYou wrote:

That does not change the fact that God humbled Himself as a man by taking on flesh.

I see what you mean.    Taking on that much flesh could be pretty humbling.

JesusLovesYou
Theist
User is offlineOffline
ProzacDeathWish

ProzacDeathWish wrote:

JesusLovesYou wrote:

That does not change the fact that God humbled Himself as a man by taking on flesh.

I see what you mean.    Taking on that much flesh could be pretty humbling.

Not mature. Are you 12?

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
User is offlineOffline
JesusLovesYou

JesusLovesYou wrote:

Not mature. Are you 12?

Mature ?  how about Christians who quote Psalm 14:1 to tell the joke about April Fool's Day being the atheist holiday.   Their little joke actually shows some creative wit. 

Besides, it doesn't  harm me in any way and Christians have the right ridicule atheists if they choose to.  Free speech doesn't mean never being offended.

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
digitalbeachbum's picture
User is offlineOffline
Sage_Override wrote:Fuck

Sage_Override wrote:

Fuck this, Happy Festivus, bitches.

I'd like to see a return to the true meaning of the season. Cold hard winters. Having to stock up on food and other supplies. Then lock yourself inside a large building with a roaring fire then ride out the winter storm until Spring.

Those were the days.

Fuck this jesus crap and salvation. Give me a saucy wench and some mead and four months of blizzards.

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
digitalbeachbum wrote:Fuck

digitalbeachbum wrote:

Fuck this jesus crap and salvation. Give me a saucy wench and some mead and four months of blizzards.

I can drink to that.

If, if a white man puts his arm around me voluntarily, that's brotherhood. But if you - if you hold a gun on him and make him embrace me and pretend to be friendly or brotherly toward me, then that's not brotherhood, that's hypocrisy.- Malcolm X

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
User is offlineOffline
digitalbeachbum wrote:I'd

digitalbeachbum wrote:

I'd like to see a return to the true meaning of the season. Cold hard winters. Having to stock up on food and other supplies. Then lock yourself inside a large building with a roaring fire then ride out the winter storm until Spring.

Hunh, what part of Florida has winters like that ?

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Beyond Saving wrote:I can

Beyond Saving wrote:

I can drink to that.

I'll take a bong over a bottle.

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
User is offlineOffline
ProzacDeathWish

ProzacDeathWish wrote:

digitalbeachbum wrote:

Hunh, what part of Florida has winters like that ?

None now, but I can hope for them to return. It would be cool to have freezing temperatures here to kill off all the bugs, reptiles and other plants which don't belong in this state.

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
User is offlineOffline
ProzacDeathWish wrote:Beyond

ProzacDeathWish wrote:

Beyond Saving wrote:

I can drink to that.

Not sure the had weed back then but I guess they could grow it, harvest it and then use the stock pile during the long cold winter.

JesusLovesYou
Theist
User is offlineOffline
digitalbeachbum

digitalbeachbum wrote:

ProzacDeathWish wrote:

Beyond Saving wrote:

I can drink to that.

Not sure the had weed back then but I guess they could grow it, harvest it and then use the stock pile during the long cold winter.

I guess part of the definition of atheism is to be immature and childlike.

JesusLovesYou
Theist
User is offlineOffline
JesusLovesYou

JesusLovesYou wrote:

ProzacDeathWish wrote:

JesusLovesYou wrote:

( fixed )

I know this MK that lived in the middle east for years. The arabic Bible word for God is allah. I am quoting actual scripture, what you are doing is name replacement to try to throw me off....doesn't work unless u can quote from the qu'ran for islam.

Also, I am doing my best to respond to every post using a cell phone and still socialize w my family. You still haven't given me the qu'ran equivalent to colossians 3:17.

Sage_Override
atheistBlogger
User is offlineOffline

(REMOVED)

Sage_Override
atheistBlogger
User is offlineOffline

digitalbeachbum wrote:

HEAR HEAR! 

....oh, and I'd rather have a bong myself, too, Prozac. but I can't smoke at the moment so, BEER BEER BEER!!!!

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
JesusLovesYou

JesusLovesYou wrote:

digitalbeachbum wrote:

ProzacDeathWish wrote:

Beyond Saving wrote:

I can drink to that.

I guess part of the definition of atheism is to be immature and childlike.

yup, it's in the OED.

"I have never felt comfortable around people who talk about their feelings for Jesus, or any other deity for that matter, because they are usually none too bright. . . . Or maybe 'stupid' is a better way of saying it; but I have never seen much point in getting heavy with either stupid people or Jesus freaks, just as long as they don't bother me. In a world as weird and cruel as this one we have made for ourselves, I figure anybody who can find peace and personal happiness without ripping off somebody else deserves to be left alone. They will not inherit the earth, but then neither will I. . . . And I have learned to live, as it were, with the idea that I will never find peace and happiness, either. But as long as I know there's a pretty good chance I can get my hands on either one of them every once in a while, I do the best I can between high spots."
--Hunter S. Thompson

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
User is offlineOffline
JesusLovesYou wrote:  You

JesusLovesYou wrote:

You still haven't given me the qu'ran equivalent to colossians 3:17.

Boy, you aren't very bright are you ?  The next time you are down on your knees asking God to give you this or that, be sure to ask him to increase your IQ while he's at it.  Surely your omniscient God will know what I'm talking about.

JesusLovesYou
Theist
User is offlineOffline
ProzacDeathWish

ProzacDeathWish wrote:

JesusLovesYou wrote:

You still haven't given me the qu'ran equivalent to colossians 3:17.

Boy, you aren't very bright are you ?  The next time you are down on your knees asking God to give you this or that, be sure to ask him to increase your IQ while he's at it.  Surely your omniscient God will know what I'm talking about.

I know what you are trying to say, and I am not stupid. Yes, abrahamic religions have same roots. These separate branches started with Isaac and Ishmael. Religions such as Islam decended from Ishmaelites. That doesn't change a thing. The God of Abraham made sure His truth never faded by keeping it within a specific bloodline, which Christ was born out of. God revealed His true glory through Christ. Now what you are doing is AVOIDING my question. I asked for the qu'ran equivalent for Colossians 3:17. According to hou, you SHOULD BE ABLE TO provide that to me. Please answer the exact question instead of beating around the bush.

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
User is offlineOffline
JesusLovesYou wrote:I asked

JesusLovesYou wrote:

I asked for the qu'ran equivalent for Colossians 3:17. According to hou, you SHOULD BE ABLE TO provide that to me. Please answer the exact question instead of beating around the bush.

In no way have I beaten around the bush.  I clarified my intent repeatedly.  It is you who are attempting to steer this dialog away from the equivalency of behavior and attitudes  that you share with another vile religion.   Which is my point and was appropriately illustrated by my substituting the name of your pet deity "Jesus" with the name of another competing religion's deity commonly referred to as "Allah"

I am aware of the meaning behind Colossians 3:17 ( http://biblehub.com/commentaries/colossians/3-17.htm )  both from my 25 years as a Protestant Christian as well as my present willingness to refer to Christian web-sites to provide their own context.

So, again to my point,  do you actually believe that Muslims fail to behave in the same manner as Christians when it comes to living their lives for Allah ...in everything they do?  

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
User is offlineOffline
JesusLovesYou wrote:]   I

JesusLovesYou wrote:

I know what you are trying to say...

I'm not a prophet but I'll bet money your next reply will again prove that you don't know what I'm trying to say.

JesusLovesYou
Theist
User is offlineOffline
ProzacDeathWish

ProzacDeathWish wrote:

JesusLovesYou wrote:

I asked for the qu'ran equivalent for Colossians 3:17. According to hou, you SHOULD BE ABLE TO provide that to me. Please answer the exact question instead of beating around the bush.

In no way have I beaten around the bush.  I clarified my intent repeatedly.  It is you who are attempting to steer this dialog away from the equivalency of behavior and attitudes  that you share with another vile religion.   Which is my point and was appropriately illustrated by my substituting the name of your pet deity "Jesus" with the name of another competing religion's deity commonly referred to as "Allah"

I am aware of the meaning behind Colossians 3:17 ( http://biblehub.com/commentaries/colossians/3-17.htm )  both from my 25 years as a Protestant Christian as well as my present willingness to refer to Christian web-sites to provide their own context.

So, again to my point,  do you actually believe that Muslims fail to behave in the same manner as Christians when it comes to living their lives for Allah ...in everything they do?  

I do believe that muslims devote their entire being to doing everything they do in the name of allah, I do aknowledge the root similarities. Thats not the issue. I am asking you for textual evidence FROM THE QU'RAN that reflects that.

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
a muslim does not use the

a muslim does not use the quran in the same way christians use the bible. except for some fundamentalist movements (sometimes referred to as "muslim protestants"), like the wahhabi, muslims don't go mining the quran for "proof texts," so such a request is irrelevant.

--Hunter S. Thompson

Sage_Override
atheistBlogger
User is offlineOffline
iwbiek wrote:a muslim does

iwbiek wrote:
a muslim does not use the quran in the same way christians use the bible. except for some fundamentalist movements (sometimes referred to as "muslim protestants&quotEye-wink, like the wahhabi, muslims don't go mining the quran for "proof texts," so such a request is irrelevant.

Ahh ahh ahh, don't forget oppression, threats of violence and telling non-believers that they will burn in a fiery eternity while they sit on a purplish satin couch and laugh as we heathens suffer again and again for all time.

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
Sage_Override wrote:iwbiek

Sage_Override wrote:

iwbiek wrote:
a muslim does not use the quran in the same way christians use the bible. except for some fundamentalist movements (sometimes referred to as "muslim protestants" ), like the wahhabi, muslims don't go mining the quran for "proof texts," so such a request is irrelevant.

Ahh ahh ahh, don't forget oppression, threats of violence and telling non-believers that they will burn in a fiery eternity while they sit on a purplish satin couch and laugh as we heathens suffer again and again for all time.

i haven't forgotten...

--Hunter S. Thompson

JesusLovesYou
Theist
User is offlineOffline
ProzacDeathWish wrote:

ProzacDeathWish wrote:

JesusLovesYou wrote:

Regardless whether a muslim mines for proof text or not, there should be text to prove. I am asking YOU for the proof text.

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
User is offlineOffline
JesusLovesYou wrote:I do

JesusLovesYou wrote:

I do believe that Muslims devote their entire being to doing everything they do in the name of Allah,...

Then we are in agreement. 

JesusLovesYou wrote:
...Thats not the issue.

Clearly, that is the only issue that I have even attempted to deal with.

JesusLovesYou wrote:
I am asking you for textual evidence FROM THE QU'RAN that reflects that.

( A )   How does not citing the Koran undercut my argument in any way ?  Please tell me.

( B )   You have already conceded my point  ( yet you cling to an imaginary verse as if my argument depends upon it.  )

( C )  Tell me specifically, what was it that convinced you that I was right concerning these common behaviors ?  Reading a verse from the Koran ?

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
User is offlineOffline

If you think this Imam's commentary doesn't perfectly illustrate my point then you are truly an idiot.

Do Everything To Please Allah:  http://muslimmedianetwork.com/mmn/?p=448