COSTCO makes mistake in telling the truth, offends theists.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
COSTCO makes mistake in telling the truth, offends theists.

Unfortunately Costco is getting blasted for making a mistake which actually happens to be the truth. A few bibles were "mistakenly" (RIGHTFULLY) labeled "fiction". The company said it was sorry and corrected the "mistake".

Look how long it took the Vatican to say "my bad" to Galileo when he told the truth.

To any theist reading this PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE take offense. But not for the reasons you think. Wanting something to be true is not the same as it actually being true.

Genesis lone is a joke scientifically. Men popping out of dirt, women popping out of men's ribs. Talking snakes, talking donkeys, talking bushes. The sun and moon being treated as separate sources of light.

Morally it is also absurd. The finally has humans in a glorious final bloodbath and the last man standing gets to kiss god's ass for eternity. Would any parent with more than one kid put knives in their kid's hands and say "Stab each other and the one who survives gets to hang out with me".

It is a historical piece of literature, nothing more. It has no magic powers and it was written by humans who didn't know better.  For the same reason you reject other holy books of other religions, I reject the bible as well. IT IS FICTION, just like the Koran and Reg Vedas.

No amount of wishing something to be true, no matter how comforting it may feel, will make it true.

It is sad Costco had to bow to PR when the truth should be more important.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Penn Jillette wrote: There

Penn Jillette wrote:
There is no god and that's the simple truth. If every trace of any single religion died out and nothing were passed on, it would never be created exactly that way again. There might be some other nonsense in its place, but not that exact nonsense. If all of science were wiped out, it would still be true and someone would find a way to figure it all out again.

Is he a bigot too?  Now in your responses, this is strict agreement with him ONLY on the issue of god claims, nothing else.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Issac Aslmov wrote: To

Issac Aslmov wrote:
To surrender to ignorance and call it God has always been premature, and it remains premature today

Is he a bigot too?

JesusNEVERexisted
Superfan
JesusNEVERexisted's picture
User is offlineOffline
 When I heard this story I

When I heard this story I thought Costco is simply telling the truth! Leave the bible in the fiction section were it's supposed to be!

Click here to find out why Christianity is the biggest fairy tale ever created!! www.nobeliefs.com/exist.htm www.JesusNEVERexisted.com

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
JesusNEVERexisted

JesusNEVERexisted wrote:

When I heard this story I thought Costco is simply telling the truth! Leave the bible in the fiction section were it's supposed to be!

No I wish that could be the case, but if I owned a business, you still have to ultimately pick your battles. But hey, that is what atheists outside that business are for, to pave a future where they could do that without people blinking an eye.

I was over at HLN's FB page and theists where saying "RELIGION SECTION, this isn't a debate".

I came back and said something like "Men magically popping out of dirt, women magically popping out of ribs, talking snakes, talking donkeys, talking bushes, the sun and moon being treated as separate sources of light, no that's not fiction".

It is a comic book, just like every other holy book in human history. "Fiction" is where they all belong.

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
fiction is written with the

fiction is written with the intention of being fiction.  that's why when, years ago, i bought my copy of bulfinch's mythology, it wasn't in the fiction section.  it was in the history section--i.e. it's part of the history of human thought. 

should we put herodotus in the fiction section?  because most of what he wrote is as fanciful as anything in the bible.  should ptolemy be put in the fiction section?  what about plato?  plotinus?  should anything, once it's been demonstrated to contain untruths or speculation of any kind, be put in fiction?  does fiction simply mean "not true"?  because, as a literature teacher, i really don't think it's that simple.

how about we just split bookstores into two big sections, TRUTH and LIES?

btw, here are the categories of books according to the dewey decimal system.  should we just streamline the shit out of it?  yeah, that'll make libraries easier to navigate...

000 – General works, Computer science and Information

100 – Philosophy and psychology

200 – Religion

300 – Social sciences

400 – Language

500 – Science

600 – Technology

700 – Arts & recreation

800 – Literature

900 – History & geography

"I have never felt comfortable around people who talk about their feelings for Jesus, or any other deity for that matter, because they are usually none too bright. . . . Or maybe 'stupid' is a better way of saying it; but I have never seen much point in getting heavy with either stupid people or Jesus freaks, just as long as they don't bother me. In a world as weird and cruel as this one we have made for ourselves, I figure anybody who can find peace and personal happiness without ripping off somebody else deserves to be left alone. They will not inherit the earth, but then neither will I. . . . And I have learned to live, as it were, with the idea that I will never find peace and happiness, either. But as long as I know there's a pretty good chance I can get my hands on either one of them every once in a while, I do the best I can between high spots."
--Hunter S. Thompson

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Holy book's are NOT science

Holy books are NOT science textbooks, they are not even history books. They are mere literature people use to justify belief in their god/s. Peppering them with real places or people, does not make the fantastic claims in them true. Otherwise Superman is real because we see him flying around New York City in movies. Nor does the fact it took real human beings to write those text make the gods or fantastic claims true.

Tokyo being a real city does not make Godzilla real.

As far as Plato his writings are also merely historical. Much of what he speculated at is only worthy as an historical read. His stories are still just that, stories. His "Philosophies" such as "essence" through mere "thinking" Dawkins has said almost single handedly fucked up human thought since.

Any good "metaphor" or "allegory" are still not empirical fact.

Holy books ARE fiction. Mere reflections of the societies social norms in comic book form.

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:Holy books are

Brian37 wrote:

Holy books are NOT science textbooks,

That is why you wouldn't find holy books in the 500's.

Brian37 wrote:

they are not even history books.

And that is why you wouldn't find them in the 900's

Brian37 wrote:

They are mere literature people use to justify belief in their god/s.

Nope. You won't find them in the 800's either.

Brian37 wrote:

As far as Plato his writings are also merely historical.

Ridiculous.

Brian37 wrote:

Much of what he speculated at is only worthy as an historical read.

Plato was trillions of times smarter than you. Have you ever read Plato?

Brian37 wrote:

His stories are still just that, stories. His "Philosophies" such as "essence" through mere "thinking" Dawkins has said almost single handedly fucked up human thought since.

Well Dawkins said, guess that settles it and we shouldn't waste our time reading Plato. I get as tired of philosophical navel gazing as the next guy, but it seems rather foolish to dismiss it out of hand.

Brian37 wrote:

Any good "metaphor" or "allegory" are still not empirical fact.

Philosophy doesn't deal with empirical fact. It doesn't even pretend to.

Brian37 wrote:

Holy books ARE fiction. Mere reflections of the societies social norms in comic book form. 

*sigh* and once again you proved that you completely missed the point. Go back and reread iwbiek's post. Seriously, if you are willing to take a reading comprehension course, I will pay for one for you from a reputable college.

If, if a white man puts his arm around me voluntarily, that's brotherhood. But if you - if you hold a gun on him and make him embrace me and pretend to be friendly or brotherly toward me, then that's not brotherhood, that's hypocrisy.- Malcolm X

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Yes because Plato invented

Yes because Plato invented the light bulb, oh wait, no all he did was mentally masturbate.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:*sigh* and once again

Quote:
*sigh* and once again you proved that you completely missed the point. Go back and reread iwbiek's post. Seriously, if you are willing to take a reading comprehension course, I will pay for one for you from a reputable college.

Broken record, even long before he had his childish problem with reality.

It goes like this.

Claimant, "I like this, it sounds nice, and it has allot of history"

Skeptic, "Yea, it may feel great and lots of people find it a way to whack off mentally, but what does it mean?"

Claimant, "YOU HATE ME"

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:Broken record,

Brian37 wrote:

There is an example of the pot calling the rainbow black.

Brian37 wrote:

It goes like this.

Skeptic, "Yea, it may feel great and lots of people find it a way to whack off mentally, but what does it mean?"

Claimant, "YOU HATE ME"

No, that is not even close to what iwbiek said. Try reading it again.

If, if a white man puts his arm around me voluntarily, that's brotherhood. But if you - if you hold a gun on him and make him embrace me and pretend to be friendly or brotherly toward me, then that's not brotherhood, that's hypocrisy.- Malcolm X

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:Quote:*sigh*

Brian37 wrote:

Quote:

It goes like this.

Claimant, "YOU HATE ME"

I'M a broken record???? me????

brian, the ONLY time I've ever repeated myself so much is with YOU, because YOU repeat yourself constantly. i can identify buzzwords and constantly repeated stories from you stretching all the way back to when I first joined. here are a few off the top of my head:

"see if you can spot the pattern"
"fart out a lamborghini"
"life is a RANGE, not a SCRIPT"
"EVOLUTION"
"it's about CLIMATE"
"i love the left and their intent"
"guns are handed out like candy"
"this is why our constitution exists"
"i got beat up for liking ABBA"
"my mom got me a ROSS with spokes"
"WAH WAH obama won"
"even warren buffett says"

that's just a sample, and that literally took me less than a minute to come up with. you constantly create threads about the same shit. just look at the number of threads you've created over the years versus the number i've created. try to find ONE of my threads that rehashes the same ideas from another one. you won't. so why exactly am i a broken record? never mind, you'll just dodge that question too.

"I have never felt comfortable around people who talk about their feelings for Jesus, or any other deity for that matter, because they are usually none too bright. . . . Or maybe 'stupid' is a better way of saying it; but I have never seen much point in getting heavy with either stupid people or Jesus freaks, just as long as they don't bother me. In a world as weird and cruel as this one we have made for ourselves, I figure anybody who can find peace and personal happiness without ripping off somebody else deserves to be left alone. They will not inherit the earth, but then neither will I. . . . And I have learned to live, as it were, with the idea that I will never find peace and happiness, either. But as long as I know there's a pretty good chance I can get my hands on either one of them every once in a while, I do the best I can between high spots."
--Hunter S. Thompson

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:Holy books ARE

Brian37 wrote:
Holy books ARE fiction.

right. and political ideologies are religions and guns are candy. you twat...

--Hunter S. Thompson

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
iwbiek wrote:Brian37

iwbiek wrote:
Brian37 wrote:
Holy books ARE fiction.
right. and political ideologies are religions and guns are candy. you twat...

Said the teacher who doesn't read atheist books even though he is an atheist.

Wait a minute, you just insulted me by calling me a "twat". But you cant do that, you'll offend me and we cant go around offending others.

You, "Kumbaya my lord, Kumbaya".

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
ProzacDeathWish's picture
User is offlineOffline

Brian"Shizzle"37, the Rational Response Squad's own village idiot.     ( His career choice is beginning to make even more sense, now )

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
ProzacDeathWish

ProzacDeathWish wrote:

Brian"Shizzle"37, the Rational Response Squad's own village idiot.     ( His career choice is beginning to make even more sense, now )

ProzacDeathWish wrote:

Ouch, ok now if we take Iwbiek's approach I should demand you don't insult others. See how that works?

You hurt my feelings. Please stop.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
https://www.facebook.com/page

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Syrian-Atheists/363191530386710

I think these guys have every fucking right to bitch. I also think none of us here have any right to complain about each others bitching. Christians and non majority Muslims and atheists living there have something to fear.

Now I don't think anyone here complaining about me is going to get away with going to that page and telling them to stop bitching about Islam.

"Brian you are an asshole". Yea so? Also not blowing anything up, murdering anyone or demanding anyone's arrest. You are NOT defending anyone by being politically correct. You are also not being oppressed by merely being offended.

Oppression is something they have to worry about. The worst you have to worry about with me is merely being annoyed.

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
ProzacDeathWish's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brian37

Brian37 wrote:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Syrian-Atheists/363191530386710

I think these guys have every fucking right to bitch. I also think none of us here have any right to complain about each others bitching. Christians and non majority Muslims and atheists living there have something to fear.

Now I don't think anyone here complaining about me is going to get away with going to that page and telling them to stop bitching about Islam.

"Brian you are an asshole". Yea so? Also not blowing anything up, murdering anyone or demanding anyone's arrest. You are NOT defending anyone by being politically correct. You are also not being oppressed by merely being offended.

Oppression is something they have to worry about. The worst you have to worry about with me is merely being annoyed.

Brian stop pretending you're so deep and just shut the fuck up.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
If one person calls you an

If one person calls you an unthinking, idiotic, broken record; shrug it off. If 2 people call you an unthinking, idiotic, broken record; shrug it off.

When everyone calls you an unthinking, idiotic, broken record, then you are an unthinking, idiotic, broken record; and it's time to re-evaluate yourself. And Brian, that's where you are.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote: Said the

Brian37 wrote:

Said the teacher who doesn't read atheist books even though he is an atheist.

just what is an "atheist book," brian?  because a helluva lot of the authors i read are atheists.  marx, engels, lenin, trotsky, hawking, sidney hook, hannah arendt, isaac deutscher, nietzsche, every buddhist writer ever, bertrand russell, wittgenstein, agehananda bharati, orwell, charles bukowski, john dos passos, hunter s. thompson, h.g. wells, rosa luxemburg, ernst mandel, victor serge, h.p. lovecraft, asimov, arthur c. clarke...all of them atheists.  so are their books not "atheist books"?  are "atheist books" like the negative versions of books written by people like rick warren and max lucado?  or what?

and just what the hell does me being a teacher have to do with whether or not i read "atheist books"?

and again i'll point out--not that it matters because, a., i know you'll ignore it anyway like you've ignored 95% of everything i've said to you in the last few weeks, and b., everyone here clearly already knows how full of shit you are--but, just for shits and giggles, i'll point out yet again that i insult people, both individually and corporately, religions, governments, and pretty much anything else all the time.

you are literally the only person in my entire life who has ever lumped me in with "kumbaya."  you really are out of your tiny mind.

--Hunter S. Thompson

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:You are also

Brian37 wrote:

You are also not being oppressed by merely being offended.

nobody here is claiming that, nor has ever claimed that in the 5 and a half years i've been on this site.

not a single...fucking...soul.

--Hunter S. Thompson

danatemporary
danatemporary's picture
User is offlineOffline
Apparently "god"has a deeply dark sense of humor exposing you to

First,  Apologies in advanced  if it is an unbecoming thing  to have not used a Capital "G" (Below);  for any who have failed to observe who this remark is directed towards

Hey Brian .. what's shaken'-bacon ? 

Apparently "god" has a deeply dark sense of humor exposing you to Catholicism.

http://funnygasm.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/I-am-an-Atheist.jpg

p.s.  --   You being you,  for once try not to read too much into the remarks I make here.  It takes place at some unspecified point in the thread, merely as an observation alone (image part of comment). Not unlike the comment I made about a remark one time from Twd39 a.k.a. -- 'Pa' in the past, in the Link ::   http://www.rationalresponders.com/forum/33204#comment-393945 www.rationalresponders.com/forum/33204 Nu. 35  Purely a response to remarks made, in this case replying to Twd39 and Jabberwocky's speculation from what 'she' once said.

JesusNEVERexisted
Superfan
JesusNEVERexisted's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Hitchens said Jesus is

Hitchens said Jesus is simply Santa Claus for adults! The bible is Judeo-Christian MYTH so fiction is right where it belongs!

Click here to find out why Christianity is the biggest fairy tale ever created!! www.nobeliefs.com/exist.htm www.JesusNEVERexisted.com

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
JesusNEVERexisted

JesusNEVERexisted wrote:

Hitchens said Jesus is simply Santa Claus for adults! The bible is Judeo-Christian MYTH so fiction is right where it belongs!

yeah.  except it's funny that mythology usually isn't in the fiction section...

--Hunter S. Thompson

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote:If one person

Vastet wrote:
If one person calls you an unthinking, idiotic, broken record; shrug it off. If 2 people call you an unthinking, idiotic, broken record; shrug it off. When everyone calls you an unthinking, idiotic, broken record, then you are an unthinking, idiotic, broken record; and it's time to re-evaluate yourself. And Brian, that's where you are.

Um so when theists go around like broken records claiming invisible super heros we know don't exist, thats ok, but I'm the crazy one. Ok.

Got it, virgin births happen, you will get 72 virgins and slamming planes into buildings makes a god real. Thanks for the lecture.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:Vastet

Brian37 wrote:

Vastet wrote:
If one person calls you an unthinking, idiotic, broken record; shrug it off. If 2 people call you an unthinking, idiotic, broken record; shrug it off. When everyone calls you an unthinking, idiotic, broken record, then you are an unthinking, idiotic, broken record; and it's time to re-evaluate yourself. And Brian, that's where you are.

Um so when theists go around like broken records claiming invisible super heros we know don't exist, thats ok, but I'm the crazy one. Ok.

Got it, virgin births happen, you will get 72 virgins and slamming planes into buildings makes a god real. Thanks for the lecture.

Hey moron, you think it's ok to jump off a bridge just because another moron did, have fun with that. We're all waiting for the *SPLAT!* so hurry up and do it.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.