Library Tales

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
Posts: 5448
Joined: 2007-10-12
User is offlineOffline
Library Tales

So I am traveling right now and I pulled into a library to borrow the wifi. A girl and her mother came in and sat down across from me. Armed with crayons and paper the girl loudly declared she was going to draw a picture. Her mom explained that it is polite to whisper in a library. Taking a deep breath the girl "whispered" in a voice louder than her talking voice, loud enough for the entire library to hear "Okay, mommy I'm going to draw you a picture" It was so damn cute I almost wish I could have kids.

If, if a white man puts his arm around me voluntarily, that's brotherhood. But if you - if you hold a gun on him and make him embrace me and pretend to be friendly or brotherly toward me, then that's not brotherhood, that's hypocrisy.- Malcolm X


Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
Posts: 15748
Joined: 2006-02-14
User is offlineOffline
Beyond Saving wrote:So I am

Beyond Saving wrote:

So I am traveling right now and I pulled into a library to borrow the wifi. A girl and her mother came in and sat down across from me. Armed with crayons and paper the girl loudly declared she was going to draw a picture. Her mom explained that it is polite to whisper in a library. Taking a deep breath the girl "whispered" in a voice louder than her talking voice, loud enough for the entire library to hear "Okay, mommy I'm going to draw you a picture" It was so damn cute I almost wish I could have kids.

He he, this is the part where I spoil your party and make it about economics right?

 

But, the sad fact is I cant. I don't want kids myself, but like kittens and puppies kids can be quite cute and amusing.

 

Where I work I like to joke with the parents and walk up to the table and say "You're parents called before you came, they told me you were going to pay". I get a variety of reactions. Most of the time the parents play along and say "Sounds good to me" or "You got money", some get it off the bat and smile, but others frown and wince as if to say "no", then the parents say or I say "Looks like you're going to have to wash some dishes".

I am not kidding, there ARE kids when I do that go "Ok, and are genuinely interested in helping". That is the minority, but the ones that convey they want to help AMAZE THE FUCK OUT OF ME. That is not the majority though.

 

I don't overplay the joke, I mostly end it if the kid gets it or not with "I'll let it slide this time, there are labor laws".

 

What you say sounds cute, but having been a bastard of a child as a kid myself, like adults, we have our good sides and bad sides.

 

 

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under BrianJames Rational Poet also on twitter under Brianrrs37


Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
Posts: 5448
Joined: 2007-10-12
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:He he, this is

Brian37 wrote:

He he, this is the part where I spoil your party and make it about economics right?

 

But, the sad fact is I cant.

Pfft, sure you can, I was using public wifi at a library! Certainly that warrants a lecture on the virtues of public libraries and how if people like me got our way there wouldn't be any Sticking out tongue

If, if a white man puts his arm around me voluntarily, that's brotherhood. But if you - if you hold a gun on him and make him embrace me and pretend to be friendly or brotherly toward me, then that's not brotherhood, that's hypocrisy.- Malcolm X


Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
Posts: 15748
Joined: 2006-02-14
User is offlineOffline
Beyond Saving wrote:Brian37

Beyond Saving wrote:

Brian37 wrote:

He he, this is the part where I spoil your party and make it about economics right?

 

But, the sad fact is I cant.

Pfft, sure you can, I was using public wifi at a library! Certainly that warrants a lecture on the virtues of public libraries and how if people like me got our way there wouldn't be any Sticking out tongue

Shit, what's your problem? Shouldn't you be burning down public libraries?

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under BrianJames Rational Poet also on twitter under Brianrrs37


Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
Posts: 5448
Joined: 2007-10-12
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:Where I work I

Brian37 wrote:

Where I work I like to joke with the parents and walk up to the table and say "You're parents called before you came, they told me you were going to pay". I get a variety of reactions. Most of the time the parents play along and say "Sounds good to me" or "You got money", some get it off the bat and smile, but others frown and wince as if to say "no", then the parents say or I say "Looks like you're going to have to wash some dishes".

I am not kidding, there ARE kids when I do that go "Ok, and are genuinely interested in helping". That is the minority, but the ones that convey they want to help AMAZE THE FUCK OUT OF ME. That is not the majority though.

See when I was a kid, I would have paid. I had money because...

 

Brian37 wrote:

I don't overplay the joke, I mostly end it if the kid gets it or not with "I'll let it slide this time, there are labor laws".

 

I ignored and broke labor laws. Funny thing was that I didn't even realize it, so I didn't get to enjoy breaking them until I was 16 and applied for a full time job. I had to get "permission" from a school I never attended to get full time hours despite having a full time job for 2 years across the border. All while having my side businesses I had started. I was ambitious back then.

If, if a white man puts his arm around me voluntarily, that's brotherhood. But if you - if you hold a gun on him and make him embrace me and pretend to be friendly or brotherly toward me, then that's not brotherhood, that's hypocrisy.- Malcolm X


Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
Posts: 15748
Joined: 2006-02-14
User is offlineOffline
Beyond Saving wrote:Brian37

Beyond Saving wrote:

Brian37 wrote:

Where I work I like to joke with the parents and walk up to the table and say "You're parents called before you came, they told me you were going to pay". I get a variety of reactions. Most of the time the parents play along and say "Sounds good to me" or "You got money", some get it off the bat and smile, but others frown and wince as if to say "no", then the parents say or I say "Looks like you're going to have to wash some dishes".

I am not kidding, there ARE kids when I do that go "Ok, and are genuinely interested in helping". That is the minority, but the ones that convey they want to help AMAZE THE FUCK OUT OF ME. That is not the majority though.

See when I was a kid, I would have paid. I had money because...

 

Brian37 wrote:

I don't overplay the joke, I mostly end it if the kid gets it or not with "I'll let it slide this time, there are labor laws".

 

I ignored and broke labor laws. Funny thing was that I didn't even realize it, so I didn't get to enjoy breaking them until I was 16 and applied for a full time job. I had to get "permission" from a school I never attended to get full time hours despite having a full time job for 2 years across the border. All while having my side businesses I had started. I was ambitious back then.

So one size fits all? Sorry doesn't work. That is why there are labor laws. You only got away with it, it does not mean every kid needs to do or should do what you did.

When I was 6 my dad sent me out to our snowbound driveway to dig out his Mercedes. Initially and happily I did so, but after 10 minutes I wondered why he was not out there with me. I went back in and asked  him if he was coming out to help, he said "in a while", but that never materialized, and he was simply being LAZY because he knew he could get me to do all the work because he was bigger.

 

If you sit at a fucking desk 5 states away barking orders at people you don't know, scripts are not going to work for them. If he had from the start walked out with me, and dug out with me, I wouldn't have been pissed at him.

 

Legally business owners can do what they want, but they are not going to convince workers of shit when they are not there every day doing what the workers do.

 

My current boss has slapped me in the face bragging about how long I have been there, but since he has owned it, I and others have the least hours. That fucker has the nerve to expect me to value him? He is there 1 or 2 days a week not every day like the prior owners.

 

You like working. But no one likes a boss who sits at a distance and does not do what those below him do. My current boss thinks it should impress us  to bus tables once a week. I want to kick that fucker in the teeth, because the teens who do bus when he is not there kick his fucking ass!

 

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under BrianJames Rational Poet also on twitter under Brianrrs37


blacklight915
atheist
blacklight915's picture
Posts: 544
Joined: 2011-12-23
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:My current

Brian37 wrote:

My current boss has slapped me in the face bragging about how long I have been there, but since he has owned it, I and others have the least hours.

Wait, he literally slapped you in the face? Did you report him to the police? I would think slapping someone would count as 'assualt'.

 


Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
Posts: 5448
Joined: 2007-10-12
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:So one size

Brian37 wrote:

So one size fits all? Sorry doesn't work. That is why there are labor laws. You only got away with it, it does not mean every kid needs to do or should do what you did.

No, not every kid should, but every kid should have the option. Labor laws take away options. By definition laws force one size fits all by punishing anyone who does not conform. A law makes everyone either do or not do something.

 

Brian37 wrote:

When I was 6 my dad sent me out to our snowbound driveway to dig out his Mercedes. Initially and happily I did so, but after 10 minutes I wondered why he was not out there with me. I went back in and asked  him if he was coming out to help, he said "in a while", but that never materialized, and he was simply being LAZY because he knew he could get me to do all the work because he was bigger.

 

So? Get over it. If I'm going to deal with daddy issues I will go to the strip club.

 

Brian37 wrote:

If you sit at a fucking desk 5 states away barking orders at people you don't know, scripts are not going to work for them. If he had from the start walked out with me, and dug out with me, I wouldn't have been pissed at him.

 

I would never sit at work for 5 hours.

 

Brian37 wrote:

Legally business owners can do what they want, but they are not going to convince workers of shit when they are not there every day doing what the workers do.

 

If I was going to do their job every day why the fuck would I hire them? Do you cut your hair while the barber is cutting it? Do you change your oil alongside the mechanic?

 

Brian37 wrote:

My current boss has slapped me in the face bragging about how long I have been there, but since he has owned it, I and others have the least hours. That fucker has the nerve to expect me to value him? He is there 1 or 2 days a week not every day like the prior owners.

 

Then quit. I quit jobs for far less. Once I quit because my boss was alongside doing what I was everyday. I always preferred the boss go fishing or take a nap and let me do my job.

 

Brian37 wrote:

You like working. But no one likes a boss who sits at a distance and does not do what those below him do. My current boss thinks it should impress us  to bus tables once a week. I want to kick that fucker in the teeth, because the teens who do bus when he is not there kick his fucking ass!

I liked my bosses at a long distance. Pretty sure my employees do too. Not everyone wants what you want. So if you don't like it, quit and find a boss who manages the way you like. I would recommend finding a new job first, but that is advice I never followed.

If, if a white man puts his arm around me voluntarily, that's brotherhood. But if you - if you hold a gun on him and make him embrace me and pretend to be friendly or brotherly toward me, then that's not brotherhood, that's hypocrisy.- Malcolm X


ProzacDeathWish
atheist
ProzacDeathWish's picture
Posts: 4127
Joined: 2007-12-02
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:  My current

Brian37 wrote:

 

 

My current boss has slapped me in the face...

 

 

 

 

                        Dude, get a gun !   AR 15's seem to be in vogue among crazy people lately so slap a 30 round mag into it and fucking chop him to pieces !!!

Patrick is an edgy edgelord.


Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
Posts: 5448
Joined: 2007-10-12
User is offlineOffline
Just a thought, but Brian

Just a thought, but Brian repeatedly accuses me of encouraging a CLIMATE of the type of shit he describes at his job. How exactly do I encourage that CLIMATE? If I worked in it, I would quit- or do something that got me fired like tell the boss to go fuck himself. As an employer, I would instantly fire any supervisor who made a habit of yelling, I am a strong believer that yelling should be reserved for warning others of life threatening situations, physical pain and plumbing. If you yell too much it just takes away from the power of a good yell. If an employee went so far as to strike another employee, they would be fired with my boot stuck up their ass and the victim would be getting a free lawyer. Put simply, I wouldn't tolerate that kind of climate. It is unproductive, unpleasant and most importantly, unprofitable. 

Yet Brian has been bitching about how terrible his new employer is for what, 3 years? And unless doing so without telling anyone, has not even attempted to apply for another job. So by remaining there, is essentially supporting the CLIMATE because his employer has no negative consequences for his actions, thereby encouraging him to repeat those actions. If instead, Brian sang "Take this job and shove it" then the employer would have a negative consequence and might rethink his actions in the future, or other employees might be inspired to do the same thing which would be devastating to the employer. Assuming of course that Brian quitting would be seen as a negative by the employer and employees.

So Brian, who is the one encouraging this terrible CLIMATE! The one who refuses to take part in it at all, or the one who sits there as a victim and refuses to take steps to get out? It is a lot like the person being abused in a relationship but refuses to leave even when others encourage it. The door is right there, the cops are a phone call away, they can leave but refuse to which only encourages the abuser to continue because the abuse works.

If, if a white man puts his arm around me voluntarily, that's brotherhood. But if you - if you hold a gun on him and make him embrace me and pretend to be friendly or brotherly toward me, then that's not brotherhood, that's hypocrisy.- Malcolm X


Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
Posts: 13210
Joined: 2006-12-25
User is offlineOffline
"I would quit- or do

"I would quit- or do something that got me fired like tell the boss to go fuck himself."

I would, and have, done both at the same time. Smiling

Proud Canadian, Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.