Love ya

darth_josh
High Level DonorHigh Level ModeratorGold Member
darth_josh's picture
User is offlineOffline
Love ya

You’re not broken… but for f*ck’s sake fix yourself in private – personal motto

I’ve been gone. Sometimes, I missed you.

Years ago, I assessed my worth to myself and you(collectively) and found it lacking the necessary minimum standard I would judge as remotely acceptable.

I couldn’t/wouldn’t make the time to be here. I was/am working 6 days per week. (soon to slow down again) I had nothing to be overly proud of as an accomplishment nor did I have any goals. Seemingly, at the time, I spent more time worried about how the other ‘isms’ in our respective lives cause/caused strife.

I was not happy with myself, my life, or my amount of effort with either of those things. Sapient tried to invigorate/inspire me when I visited in 2010 and over the phone. However, my introspection led me to realize at the time that my patience had turned into complacency and over the course of 2010 it manifested as indifference. Every adverse moment was ignored for the short-term and long-term consequences and I maintained a steady routine of work, sleep, and distraction to a fault.

Yesterday, I examined the past year and concluded that I am finally(after a few years) having a good time and feeling a distinct measure of self-esteem. Comparably, I am where I left off years ago and THAT is my measure of pride in the present. I still have reasoned arguments for all of my individual ‘isms’, my ethics are intact, and my disdain for irrational societal mores has never felt more ‘righteous’.

I won’t promise to be here every day, but I will give you my undivided attention when I am present.

[edited by darth_josh for spacing]

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server, which houses Celebrity Atheists.

darth_josh
darth_josh's picture
User is offlineOffline
Apparently, I need to

Apparently, I need to 'relearn' how to post with my paragraphs intact.

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server, which houses Celebrity Atheists.

zarathustra
atheist
zarathustra's picture
User is offlineOffline
We were saving a fatted calf

We were saving a fatted calf for when you returned, but PETA helped it escape.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
The farce will be with you

The farce will be with you always. Welcome back.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

harleysportster
atheist
harleysportster's picture
User is offlineOffline
Pleased to meet you

Pleased to meet you and I hope you guess my name Smiling 

I came to this forum right around the fall of 2010.

“It is proof of a base and low mind for one to wish to think with the masses or majority, merely because the majority is the majority. Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people.”
― Giordano Bruno

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Welcome back. You'll be

Welcome back. You'll be pleased to know that Fonzie is still going strong. 

Atheistextremist
atheist
Atheistextremist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hey Josh

Stay well. 

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
hello

hello

Sapient
High Level DonorRRS CO-FOUNDERRRS Core MemberWebsite Admin
User is offlineOffline
So glad you're back even if

So glad you're back even if it's in a limited capacity.  I don't agree though with your low grade for yourself and your past time here.  But it sounds like your self imposed changes are all positive, so I'm thankful to Jake for that.  :P

harleysportster
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Beyond Saving

Beyond Saving wrote:

Welcome back. You'll be pleased to know that Fonzie is still going strong. 

LOL. Fonzie was already about 3,000 posts in when I came on board and that thread was already three years old. I finally just gave up and quit even looking at that one. 

Speaking of never ending threads, whatever happened to Gramps of "just ask grampa " fame ?

“It is proof of a base and low mind for one to wish to think with the masses or majority, merely because the majority is the majority. Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people.”
― Giordano Bruno

danatemporary
danatemporary's picture
User is offlineOffline
↑ (No Subject)

[question] .. whatever happened to Gramps of "just ask grampa " fame ?

Yeah, I  was curious about him,  and  tried  to PM  him,  one time.  It went through  and he was kind enough to reply, and says . . "It's good to hear from you and hope that things are looking up. I am doing pretty good for an "old gramps". I have been pulled back out of my semi-retirement into business matters .. imagination that from  us "old buggers'.  That is  one factor in my withdrawal from activities on the RRS site is a time factor I didn't count on (end quote)"

EXC
atheist
EXC's picture
User is offlineOffline
darth_josh wrote: my ethics

darth_josh wrote:

my ethics are intact, and my disdain for irrational societal mores has never felt more ‘righteous’.

Like the mores that something can be 'righteous'? Or that one needs to have ethics and morality?

Taxation is the price we pay for failing to build a civilized society. The higher the tax level, the greater the failure. A centrally planned totalitarian state represents a complete defeat for the civilized world, while a totally voluntary society represents its ultimate success. --Mark Skousen

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Welcome back!

Welcome back!

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

harleysportster
atheist
User is offlineOffline
danatemporary

danatemporary wrote:

[question] .. whatever happened to Gramps of "just ask grampa " fame ?

Yeah, I  was curious about him,  and  tried  to PM  him,  one time.  It went through  and he was kind enough to reply, and says . . "It's good to hear from you and hope that things are looking up. I am doing pretty good for an "old gramps". I have been pulled back out of my semi-retirement into business matters .. imagination that from  us "old buggers'.  That is  one factor in my withdrawal from activities on the RRS site is a time factor I didn't count on (end quote)"

I remember reading the title to that thread and finding it funny for some reason. "Just ask Granpa." Something about that made me form this mental picture of him, that probably looked nothing like his real appearance.

― Giordano Bruno

darth_josh
darth_josh's picture
User is offlineOffline
EXC wrote:darth_josh

EXC wrote:

darth_josh wrote:

my ethics are intact, and my disdain for irrational societal mores has never felt more ‘righteous’.

Like the mores that something can be 'righteous'? Or that one needs to have ethics and morality?

Exactly the reason for the single quotes. lol. Ethics are individually determined. Morality is societal.

I like that you dissected for semantics. I've actually missed it.

Ktulu
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Welcome back,Unfortunately,

Welcome back,

Unfortunately, I sympathise with your feelings, though not your emphasis on personal ethics.  I find ethics much too relative to use as any measure of self worth.  I've yet to determine if that's a good or bad thing, I guess it all depends Smiling 

"Don't seek these laws to understand. Only the mad can comprehend..." -- George Cosbuc

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
welcome back, darth.ugh,

welcome back, darth.

ugh, "gramps."  i'd forgotten all about him.  his whole schtick got old really fast.  i loved it when c.j. drily told him something like "i'm sure i'm at least as old as you."

i think he dropped all the condescending "grampa" bullshit soon after that.  i can't stand it when people refer to themselves in the third person.

"I have never felt comfortable around people who talk about their feelings for Jesus, or any other deity for that matter, because they are usually none too bright. . . . Or maybe 'stupid' is a better way of saying it; but I have never seen much point in getting heavy with either stupid people or Jesus freaks, just as long as they don't bother me. In a world as weird and cruel as this one we have made for ourselves, I figure anybody who can find peace and personal happiness without ripping off somebody else deserves to be left alone. They will not inherit the earth, but then neither will I. . . . And I have learned to live, as it were, with the idea that I will never find peace and happiness, either. But as long as I know there's a pretty good chance I can get my hands on either one of them every once in a while, I do the best I can between high spots."
--Hunter S. Thompson

harleysportster
atheist
User is offlineOffline
iwbiek wrote:welcome back,

iwbiek wrote:

welcome back, darth.

ugh, "gramps."  i'd forgotten all about him.  his whole schtick got old really fast.  i loved it when c.j. drily told him something like "i'm sure i'm at least as old as you."

i think he dropped all the condescending "grampa" bullshit soon after that.  i can't stand it when people refer to themselves in the third person.

LOL. I thought I was the only one who truly hated that. That whole "Gramps see you Atheists think you have got Gramps cornered" and crap. 

I DO remember CJ saying : This is one grandma that thinks this grandpa has gone senile.  :D

On another post CJ said : "I don't even know why I am following this thread." 

I don't think I ever participated on that one. 

I DID go back and forth with Fonzie for a while, ( which was stupid and a waste of bandwidth) and I finally took the advice of Anonymouse and JC Gadfly and said to hell with that thread. I can not believe that it is still going on after all of this time. I have not been back on it in about two years now. It was just the same old reshashing over and over. 

― Giordano Bruno

danatemporary
danatemporary's picture
User is offlineOffline
3rd person, where have all the compartmentalizations gone

iwbiek wrote:

welcome back, darth.

ugh, "gramps."  i'd forgotten all about him . . i can't stand it when people refer to themselves in the third person.

The 3rd person, a slip, there may  be  an interesting mental process ? Lol?

harleysportster
atheist
User is offlineOffline
danatemporary wrote:3rd

danatemporary wrote:

iwbiek wrote:

welcome back, darth.

ugh, "gramps."  i'd forgotten all about him . . i can't stand it when people refer to themselves in the third person.

The 3rd person, a slip, there may  be  an interesting mental process ? Lol?

I read somewhere that referring to yourself in the 3rd person is a sign of dissociative personality disorder. 

But I don't know anything too much about it. 

― Giordano Bruno

danatemporary
danatemporary's picture
User is offlineOffline
Do the Hokey-pokey and you turn yourself around . .

Re :: Do the  Hokey-pokey and you turn yourself around . . (that's what it's all about).

Although  I am short on time, presently, all-the-same, it's always good to chew the fat. --> such interesting people come to visit.

Nu  19  

Personally, I sometimes just like to sip on camomile tea, never been the adventurous type, and not think very deeply about anything. I rather like the peasant not too educated labels like the classic (phase): "crazier than h3lL" or "loopy as all get out", they haven't made it into the medical profession, .. but soon   Laughing out loud

I never read any of  the  Frank Peretti and Hal Lindsey (biblcist) and what's his face Tim LeHay's (American author and Evangelical) conspiracy theories. Fundamentalists did have actual fears, after reading their works apparently, that  each one would be   rounded up  and carried away into detention centers and  guantanamo style (or more) gulags for their faith as radicals. Eyes are every-where.  Hmm! If such a task force were ever created in North America  wouldn't  I  be the one  who should worry (joke).?

Off-topic, but if you want to yank the chain of  a certain JLY (Only Jesus) start asking him very demandingly exactly when each of these incidents took place, in his recent thread.  Hint :: --> 

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
danatemporary

danatemporary wrote:

Fundamentalists did have actual fears, after reading their works apparently, that  each one would be   rounded up  and carried away into detention centers and  guantanamo style (or more) gulags for their faith as radicals. Eyes are every-where.  Hmm! If such a task force were ever created in North America  wouldn't  I  be the one  who should worry (joke).?

oh yeah, fundies are totally persecuted by the atheistic society.  that's why their ilk get elected president and any politician who even hints religion might not hold all the answers to life's big questions gets his career ended for his trouble.

if the president gets into an ethical dilemma (yes, including ol' barack), who's he most likely to call?  survey says billy fuckin' graham.  i rest my case.

"I have never felt comfortable around people who talk about their feelings for Jesus, or any other deity for that matter, because they are usually none too bright. . . . Or maybe 'stupid' is a better way of saying it; but I have never seen much point in getting heavy with either stupid people or Jesus freaks, just as long as they don't bother me. In a world as weird and cruel as this one we have made for ourselves, I figure anybody who can find peace and personal happiness without ripping off somebody else deserves to be left alone. They will not inherit the earth, but then neither will I. . . . And I have learned to live, as it were, with the idea that I will never find peace and happiness, either. But as long as I know there's a pretty good chance I can get my hands on either one of them every once in a while, I do the best I can between high spots."
--Hunter S. Thompson