WHY NOT JESUS

JesusLovesYou
Theist
User is offlineOffline
WHY NOT JESUS

Jesus is the most rational thought known to man. The creator of the world took on flesh, and died for our sins so we don't have to. All we need to do is Repent and turn to Him. Its not difficult. I have not been the most perfect person in the world. I've had secrets, i've done things I shouldn't have. But I turned to Christ and He has truely blessed me. I have a truely blessed marriage and beautiful baby girl. I have a stable job to support them. Right now I teach life skills to Navy recruits that have trouble adapting to military lifestyle. The trend I see is children that are fatherless, orphans, foster children, and homeless. I share with them my passion to live the life I intend to live, and all of them are "blown away" with amazement because it is the polar opposite of what they have come to know in their own lives. Serving God, providing for my family, being a good father to my daughter, managing finances so my wife doesn't have to work so she can raise our daughter properly. There is no denying that a household dedicated and living for the Lord has a stronger, more solid foundation, than a household that is not. I have had approximately 5-10 students a week since March (minus holidays of course) and I have only had 1 student that had a strong background in faith, and she came to me because she was frustrated that she couldn't pass her fitness assessment.

The Lord is amazing. Being able to share what I have has truely blessed these recruits.

Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

danatemporary
danatemporary's picture
User is offlineOffline
re:: You have fun .. Good bye

This site, I recall, you labeled a "Hate crime".  So, Why come back to a site you think is Jesus bashing ? And zeroing in on your Faith ?  What the incentive to bother with this at all?!? Why come ?  Why? To nurse your wounded pride. You're here to take pot-shots at people, and this all over, again.

JesusLovesYou
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Tis not so....I am just

Tis not so....I am just being loving.

danatemporary
danatemporary's picture
User is offlineOffline
re:: You have fun .. Good bye

JesusLovesYou wrote:

It's no stretch  of the imagination you don't even know there are rules against proselytizing. Someone in the service might appreciate the board's rules, I'd think!!

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
digitalbeachbum's picture
User is offlineOffline
danatemporary

danatemporary wrote:

JesusLovesYou wrote:

It's no stretch  of the imagination you don't even know there are rules against proselytizing. Someone in the service might appreciate the board's rules, I'd think!!

The original post is a troll. You should just ignore it.

Ktulu
atheist
User is offlineOffline
:)

Atheistextremist
atheist
Atheistextremist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Yessum

JesusLovesYou wrote:

...i've done things I shouldn't have...

ThunderJones
atheist
ThunderJones's picture
User is offlineOffline
Ktulu wrote:  He looks and

Ktulu wrote:

He looks and is supposed to be Jesus in that episode, and the troll is even talking about Jesus, get it right! Smiling

Secularist, Atheist, Skeptic, Freethinker

danatemporary
danatemporary's picture
User is offlineOffline
re :: Am I about to detecting a 'tone' . . . (See: Image)

Opps sorry  wrong one  but a good quote . . .

Scroller by MasterGreetings

JesusLovesYou
Theist
User is offlineOffline
 I have been in the Navy

I have been in the Navy for 10 years. I do not appreciate someone from the outside try to tell me what the rules are. I teach a class to troubled recruits that has a section on spiritual health. I know what limitations the Navy gives me, and I stay within them. The Gospel can be shared within slapping people with the Bible.

Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

danatemporary
danatemporary's picture
User is offlineOffline
DP (Double Post)

DP  (Double Post)

tonyjeffers
tonyjeffers's picture
User is offlineOffline
jly

Interesting that in your opening sentence you refer to jesus as a "thought". Rational? I think not. 

The story is even set up so that one must leave rational thought far behind to follow the program. 

Delete reason. Enter faith. Give yourself an 'A'

"...but truth is a point of view, and so it is changeable. And to rule by fettering the mind through fear of punishment in another world is just as base as to use force." -Hypatia

cj
atheistRational VIP!
cj's picture
User is offlineOffline
JesusLovesYou wrote: I have

JesusLovesYou wrote:

I have been in the Navy for 10 years. I do not appreciate someone from the outside try to tell me what the rules are. I teach a class to troubled recruits that has a section on spiritual health. I know what limitations the Navy gives me, and I stay within them. The Gospel can be shared within slapping people with the Bible.

Did you mean "without slapping people with the bible?"

What is spiritual health class? Some sort of AA or DA or SA classes? Some sort of suicide prevention?

-- I feel so much better since I stopped trying to believe.

"We are entitled to our own opinions. We're not entitled to our own facts"- Al Franken

"If death isn't sweet oblivion, I will be severely disappointed" - Ruth M.

JesusLovesYou
Theist
User is offlineOffline
cj wrote:JesusLovesYou

cj wrote:

JesusLovesYou wrote:

Did you mean "without slapping people with the bible?"

What is spiritual health class? Some sort of AA or DA or SA classes? Some sort of suicide prevention?

I teach a life skills class to recruits and one of the topics is health. Physical mental and spiritual. Religion is an important coping mechanism that we need. This is where we learn our morals.

cj
atheistRational VIP!
cj's picture
User is offlineOffline
JesusLovesYou wrote:I teach

JesusLovesYou wrote:

I teach a life skills class to recruits and one of the topics is health. Physical mental and spiritual. Religion is an important coping mechanism that we need. This is where we learn our morals.

Poor recruits.

-- I feel so much better since I stopped trying to believe.

"We are entitled to our own opinions. We're not entitled to our own facts"- Al Franken

"If death isn't sweet oblivion, I will be severely disappointed" - Ruth M.

danatemporary
danatemporary's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hey JLY . .

T0 the 0p:

Please consider yourself invited

http://www.rationalresponders.com/forum/32780 JesusLovesYou
:
:
:
:
:
:

Currently we all are on page 4 or 5::

http://www.rationalresponders.com/forum/32780?page=4

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
User is offlineOffline
Beyond might be able to back

Beyond might be able to back me up on this, but they had "reconditioning" platoons of all kinds in the Marines; there was the PCP, CCP, SCP to name a few.

I remember the CCP details given to me by one of my platoon friends, who went UA when he went home on leave. He never came back, well they caught him then shipped him off to CCP.

I saw him before he left for CCP. He had given up on the Marine Corps. He didn't want to be a Marine any more and he was telling the Gunny to fuck off. Well, that didn't last long.

That little creep came back just like he was coming straight from Parris Island. He was locked n cocked and killing machine.

They beat him up so bad,  mentally and physically that he found his focus. No need for god, no need for jesus and no need for any thing other than the Corps.

All JLY is pushing is the same faith based shit that you hear every one push. "Oh, jesus saves and god will heal you".

Yep, mentally if that is the life preserver that some one grabs on to when they are sinking then that is what saves them. But what the jesus freaks will never admit is that they could have been saved by a dozen other life preservers such as buddha, allah or atheism.

Christianity doesn't hold the patent on these procedures.

Atheistextremist
atheist
Atheistextremist's picture
User is offlineOffline
This assertion is

JesusLovesYou wrote:

This is where we learn our morals.

unsupported by the evidence. The most detailed studies show we learn our morals from parents and immediate family, as well as early teachers and peer groups, and to a much lesser extent, wider society.

I like Kohlberg when it comes to empirical studies of the development of moral behaviour. There are others in this field. 

I concede that it's possible to use religion to reinforce humanism but the result is moral inconsistency resulting from the cognitive dissonance inherent in a doctrine that preaches love yet is built on violence. 

It could be argued that many of the folk on this forum are those who could not reconcile the moral inconsistencies of the faith our childhoods were threatened with.  

In any case, glad to hear you are happy and well, JLY.  

"Experiments are the only means of knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." Max Planck

latincanuck
atheist
latincanuck's picture
User is offlineOffline
I run my own business I am a

I run my own business I am a great father to my daughter, my marriage did break up but for reasons due to my own naive ideas of marriage, however I have been in a committed relationship with my GF for 5 years (she is going thru a long divorce) and my ex wife and I are on friendly terms (since the break up). I have an amazing job that allows me to help people feel safe and secure. People are blown away when I tell them about my life and how I am polar opposite of what they think of an atheist. I am charitable, helpful, loving and kind, loyal to my friends and all because I want to be not to please some imaginary god. I manage my finances however my GF and my ex wife both want to work, they do it so their daughters have someone to look up to and not have to be dependent on others. Our kids are raised properly and almost everyone is amazed how well behaved our children are in public. I help kids leave gangs, that is the charity work I do, most of them come from broken homes and of strict religious up bringing, many of them have hard time adjusting to normal life outside of the gang, but I help them get work and to live a life beyond that of gangs. There is no lord that blesses me for I do not need one, not a god of the bible that is immoral in every aspect.

RobbyPants
atheist
RobbyPants's picture
User is offlineOffline
Atheistextremist wrote:I

Atheistextremist wrote:
I concede that it's possible to use religion to reinforce humanism but the result is moral inconsistency resulting from the cognitive dissonance inherent in a doctrine that preaches love yet is built on violence. 

It could be argued that many of the folk on this forum are those who could not reconcile the moral inconsistencies of the faith our childhoods were threatened with.  

I can vouch for that.

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
User is offlineOffline
Atheistextremist

Atheistextremist wrote:

JesusLovesYou wrote:

unsupported by the evidence. The most detailed studies show we learn our morals from parents and immediate family, as well as early teachers and peer groups, and to a much lesser extent, wider society.

I like Kohlberg when it comes to empirical studies of the development of moral behaviour. There are others in this field. 

In any case, glad to hear you are happy and well, JLY.  

Good post. A+

ThunderJones
atheist
ThunderJones's picture
User is offlineOffline
Atheistextremist

Atheistextremist wrote:

JesusLovesYou wrote:

I absolutely agree with that, having experienced some small part of what you are talking about, and observing it constantly, every day, in my peers and people I know.  Being unable to reconcile moral inconsistencies is obviously not limited to atheists. Religious people are the ones who show this the most without realizing it, I think. They are constantly performing mental gymnastics and incredible feats of self-delusion to maintain the religious beliefs they have so invested in.

The people who are more or less honest and trying to be what they consider moral will almost always have serious trouble with their religion if they actually look at what their religion says. This is why religions retcon their morals to follow the way secular majority swings, because if the religion has any hope of surviving it must either:

1) stop the development of secular morality by preventing people from being educated or burning them at the stake, luckily religions mostly stopped that in Christianity after the enlightenment, unfortunately this mentality still has some power in certain other religions.

2) or, conveniently change they way the religion says it is 'ok' to interpret their holy text, which has always been, also quite conveniently, very conducive to differing viewpoints. Although the religion as a whole will always be quite a ways behind secular morality, the cognitive dissonance between the faithful and their religion will either see the religion wither or change.

Even with all that said, it is still demonstrably better to do away with all that nonsense and base morality on reason and evidence. Scientific evidence-based examination gives people a far better morality, almost without any serious thought put into it, than religion has been able to with a multitude of apologists jumping through hoops and distorting scripture this way and that to make up for the fact they are essentially trying to bullshit their way into seeming like religion has all the answers, and that those answers are right.

Secularist, Atheist, Skeptic, Freethinker

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Everything in the original

Everything in the original post is exactly the opposite of rational.

Every.

Single.

Thing.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote:Everything in

Vastet wrote:
Everything in the original post is exactly the opposite of rational. Every. Single. Thing.

I took that as a challenge to prove you wrong. I failed. 

If, if a white man puts his arm around me voluntarily, that's brotherhood. But if you - if you hold a gun on him and make him embrace me and pretend to be friendly or brotherly toward me, then that's not brotherhood, that's hypocrisy.- Malcolm X

faithnomore
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Hello Jesus Loves you

I am curious about something. Is there a place in the Bible that tells you to try to convince people to believe in Jesus? Matt 28:19 says, "Go ye therefore and teach all nations...." On this site everyone has already heard about Jesus.  That verse, imo, seemed to be focusing on letting the world know that the Messiah had already came and how they can be saved. Granted, it has been about 20 years since I have studied the Bible but it seemed to me that the way christians are suppose to witness to people that already know about Jesus is by "letting their light shine." Anyways, are there any verses in the Bible that make you feel that God wants you to try to talk people into believing in Jesus if they already know about him and don't believe in him?

You can't convince a believer of anything; for their belief is not based on evidence, it's based on a deep-seated need to believe. - Carl Sagan

Prayer has no place in the public schools, just like facts have no place in organized religion. - School Superintendent on "The Simpsons" episode #1