Allegations of sexual harrasment in the atheist movement

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Allegations of sexual harrasment in the atheist movement

In case, you haven't been paying attention to the atheist movement, there are several claims that employees of the Center For Inquiry (CFI) groped and sexually assaulted women, plus harrasement at conferences such as TAM.

So, has anybody been following all this? What should we do about these allegations?

ThunderJones
atheist
ThunderJones's picture
User is offlineOffline
1) Links to any of these

1) Links to any of these stories? Haven't heard of anything like this, but I have not been following atheist organization news.

2) It seems perfectly obvious to me what should be done, the matter should be thoroughly investigated should the allegations have any credence and any offenders punished in appropriate ways within the organization and without.

3) If there is any evidence that the organization itself is lending itself to this behavior or that persons of influence in the group have acted inappropriately in terms of the policy towards sexual harassment the rules should be changed to make sure the situation does not happen again, and any offenders punished in appropriate ways.

This almost seems rhetorical to me, would anyone disagree with this? Seems pretty clear to me.

Secularist, Atheist, Skeptic, Freethinker

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
ThunderJones wrote:1) Links

ThunderJones wrote:

1) Links to any of these stories? Haven't heard of anything like this, but I have not been following atheist organization news.

2) It seems perfectly obvious to me what should be done, the matter should be thoroughly investigated should the allegations have any credence and any offenders punished in appropriate ways within the organization and without.

3) If there is any evidence that the organization itself is lending itself to this behavior or that persons of influence in the group have acted inappropriately in terms of the policy towards sexual harassment the rules should be changed to make sure the situation does not happen again, and any offenders punished in appropriate ways.

This almost seems rhetorical to me, would anyone disagree with this? Seems pretty clear to me.

there's lots of articles about it

http://freethoughtblogs.com/lousycanuck/2013/08/12/sexual-harassment-accusations-in-the-skeptical-and-secular-communities-a-timeli...

ThunderJones
atheist
ThunderJones's picture
User is offlineOffline
That makes it very simple

That makes it very simple than, this problem is absolutely unacceptable, and needs to be immediately rectified.

I don't think any reasonable person would disagree with that, right?

ZuS
atheist
ZuS's picture
User is offlineOffline
ThunderJones wrote:That

ThunderJones wrote:

That makes it very simple than, this problem is absolutely unacceptable, and needs to be immediately rectified.

Unless they were hot.

Logic is a systematic method of coming to the wrong conclusion with confidence.

ThunderJones
atheist
ThunderJones's picture
User is offlineOffline
ZuS wrote:ThunderJones

ZuS wrote:

ThunderJones wrote:

Unless they were hot.

Is that a joke?

If it is, I'm not laughing.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
I am. Because it was a joke.

I am. Because it was a joke. And because a lot of the incidents I've heard about would be ridiculous to classify as harassment. Feminazi's whining about being asked on a date are in no way being harassed.

If someone has been groped they should go to the police, because that would be a crime.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

ThunderJones
atheist
ThunderJones's picture
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote:I am. Because

Vastet wrote:
I am. Because it was a joke. And because a lot of the incidents I've heard about would be ridiculous to classify as harassment. Feminazi's whining about being asked on a date are in no way being harassed. If someone has been groped they should go to the police, because that would be a crime.

Based off the link, it seems that quite a few of the incidents involve allegations of groping.

Like I said, the issues should be investigated. You are right though that if someone is groped they should do something about it right away. It does make it rather hard to investigate the incidents if a lot of them are hearsay or there isn't much to go on.

As far as the 'joke' I just thought that it was kinda dumb when its dropped out of context about crimes. Especially since that is exactly the type of thing the "Feminazis" (kind of a bullshit term if you ask me, equivocating feminists with genocide and etc.) are complaining about, although obviously more direct and probably when it is clearly not a joke.

ZuS
atheist
ZuS's picture
User is offlineOffline
ThunderJones wrote:Is that a

ThunderJones wrote:

Is that a joke?

If it is, I'm not laughing.

Oh I didn't notice we were talking about harrasment of women. Very sorry. Thought we were talking about sexual abuse of children.

Logic is a systematic method of coming to the wrong conclusion with confidence.