I've always wondered why this wasn't already made

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
digitalbeachbum's picture
User is offlineOffline
I've always wondered why this wasn't already made

When I go to Home Depot they still use the mail tubes to transport various mail or packages. It's easy, quick and cost effective.

So why not build a large scale version of it?

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/08/13/us-musk-hyperloop-idUSBRE97B0U320130813

There are some detractors though who say that it would be highly susceptible to terrorist attacks, but I disagree.

There are many different ways you could stop a terrorist from attacking this kind of transportation device. You also would have the same problems with trains, planes and other forms of transportation.

If you had a tube within a tube you could help defend against an attack, but as I said, what is to stop a terrorist from blowing up a train under the current system?

I think it is a brilliant idea and the only reason why others are against it is because it takes away from their "grand projects".

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Well first the idea has to

Well first the idea has to actually be tested to see if it works. It took a few years and a lot of money for Musk's electric cars to work the way he said they would. It is an intriguing idea though. The problem is that you can't just buy land and build something like this on a large scale even if you are willing to shell out $6 billion. In the US the light rail lobby is very powerful and flush with cash which is why our trains in the US are so antiquated compared to trains in other countries. Light rail is more interested in just collecting cash for projects rather than actually building anything useful.

Musk is the kind of guy with the resources and intelligence to take them on if he is willing to put the time into it. If this thing could actually go at 700 mph and the government goobs in the regulatory offices would stay the fuck out of the way and allow it to go 700 mph, I can see how it would be very useful. The reality is that in a country as large as ours, for mass transit between cities to be used it has to be at least as fast as airplanes. All these ideas for trains that barely go over 100 mph are ridiculous and wouldn't be used by very many people. 

If, if a white man puts his arm around me voluntarily, that's brotherhood. But if you - if you hold a gun on him and make him embrace me and pretend to be friendly or brotherly toward me, then that's not brotherhood, that's hypocrisy.- Malcolm X

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
digitalbeachbum's picture
User is offlineOffline
Beyond Saving wrote: Well

Beyond Saving wrote:

Well first the idea has to actually be tested to see if it works. It took a few years and a lot of money for Musk's electric cars to work the way he said they would. It is an intriguing idea though. The problem is that you can't just buy land and build something like this on a large scale even if you are willing to shell out $6 billion. In the US the light rail lobby is very powerful and flush with cash which is why our trains in the US are so antiquated compared to trains in other countries. Light rail is more interested in just collecting cash for projects rather than actually building anything useful.

Musk is the kind of guy with the resources and intelligence to take them on if he is willing to put the time into it. If this thing could actually go at 700 mph and the government goobs in the regulatory offices would stay the fuck out of the way and allow it to go 700 mph, I can see how it would be very useful. The reality is that in a country as large as ours, for mass transit between cities to be used it has to be at least as fast as airplanes. All these ideas for trains that barely go over 100 mph are ridiculous and wouldn't be used by very many people. 

We have a "light rail" system being placed in Central Florida right now and it is a fucking cluster fuck of red tape and bureaucrats getting their hands down in to very deep pockets.

It's total fucking bullshit. They are spending over 1.5 billion dollars to build a rail system which is on the "right side" of town. All the blacks have been booted out and their land which was "unworthy" for the last 100 years is now prime real estate.

Light rail, especially one in the wrong location for the wrong reasons, is a perfect example of why politicians and developers are fucking douche bags.